Forums

Topic: NX aparantly not as powerful as PS4 rumour. Discussion on good/bad things this could mean.

Posts 141 to 160 of 384

Ryno

DefHalan wrote:

Because Sony and Microsoft are not in the same situation as Nintendo.

Then I wonder what Nintendo's situation is besides trying to save their dwindling user base.

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

DefHalan

Ryno wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

Because Sony and Microsoft are not in the same situation as Nintendo.

Then I wonder what Nintendo's situation is besides trying to save their dwindling user base.

Nintendo has two systems they are focusing on. (Sony is not focusing on the Vita at all) They are having consumer confidence in their products dropping and struggling to reverse it. Microsoft and Sony were able to stand out at E3 by announcing limited Backwards Compatibility or games that won't release for over a year. Nintendo focused on games coming out within a year, something that people claimed they wanted, and got torn down. Nintendo has a lot of things to recover from while Sony and Microsoft are going to have smooth sailing for a little. Nintendo is in a different situation than Sony and Microsoft.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

MsJubilee

Ryno wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

This is why it is so difficult to understand what direction Nintendo should take.

Why is so difficult for Nintendo but not for Sony or Microsoft?

Because Nintendo is still living in the past. Well not Nintendo but the big man himself Iwata.

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Watch Dogs 2 & Manhunt

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

CanisWolfred

To be fare, the Xbox One isn't as powerful as the PS4. The rumor didn't really say it was a Wii situation....actually, the tweet barely said anything...why are we talking about this, again?

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

DefHalan

CanisWolfred wrote:

To be fare, the Xbox One isn't as powerful as the PS4. The rumor didn't really say it was a Wii situation....actually, the tweet barely said anything...why are we talking about this, again?

because it is the internet

iKhan

CanisWolfred wrote:

Even if it was the Wii situation, it would be more powerful than the PS4//XB1. The Wii was 2-3X more powerful than the 6th gen systems.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

iKhan

DefHalan wrote:

CaptainToad777 wrote:

Aromaiden wrote:

@bezerker99: I feel Nintendo is doing so poorly because it's making the grave mistake of going against its consumers. It's not only hurting its fanbase but its reputation. Sony is doing a perfect job at appealing to its consumers and is doing great because of it.

true!
Nintendo is telling its customers what they should want or need - not the other way round and that is sad.

I think a big problem is the mixed messaging consumers send to companies. The Wii was a huge success but when people said they wanted 3rd Parties you get the Wii U launch. So many 3rd Party games at launch but no one seemed to care. People claim they want new IPs, then we get Splatoon. Then people complain that they want old franchises in new ways, so we get Federation Force. So people complain they want those classic games in the classic ways, and we got Star Fox Zero. Which have been complaining about because it doesn't look "new enough." (This is not the order of events, this is just an example of what consumers are telling Nintendo)

This is why it is so difficult to understand what direction Nintendo should take.

I think Nintendo is smart enough to parse out the specific interests fans have and what caters to those interests well and what is off base. I also think they are smart enough to realize when some people say they want something, and other people say they don't like it after that something is announced.

I think the big problem is that Nintendo greenlights games like a private indie developer would, with minimal regard for strategizing for a particular market. Sometimes this is good, and we get games like Pandora's Tower or Codename: S.T.E.A.M. which would never fly with EA or Ubisoft. But other times it's bad, and we get games no one ever said they wanted like Metroid: Federation Force or Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

CanisWolfred

iKhan wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

Even if it was the Wii situation, it would be more powerful than the PS4//XB1. The Wii was 2-3X more powerful than the 6th gen systems.

What? The Wii was weaker than its competitors by a large margine, and the NX's competitors are going to be the PS4 and Xbox One...and the Steam Machines...and all those other new hardware that I can't even keep track of anymore...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

DefHalan

@iKhan: I actually think people have wanted Federation Force and Happy Home Designer. I have heard many people talk about Co-Op Metroid or explaining the universe or Metroid. I have also heard people say decorating their home in Animal Crossing was their favorite part of the game, and in Happy Home Designer you get to design multiple houses. I understand people weren't expecting these but I think people have been kinda asking for these games.

Grumblevolcano

@iKhan: I think Amiibo Festival is a much better example for what you want to convey than Happy Home Designer.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

iKhan

CanisWolfred wrote:

iKhan wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

What? The Wii was weaker than its competitors by a large margine, and the NX's competitors are going to be the PS4 and Xbox One...and the Steam Machines...and all those other new hardware that I can't even keep track of anymore...

I see the NX as a 9th gen system. It's coming out at least 4 years after the Wii U, one year shy of a typical console lifespan. It may compete with the 8th gen consoles for a year or two, but eventually it's going to be up against the PS5 and Xbox Two.

Grumblevolcano wrote:

I think Amiibo Festival is a much better example for what you want to convey than Happy Home Designer.

@Grumblevolcano
I'd say they both work. I think most of the world thought Happy Home Designer was a simple $10-15 eShop game when it was first revealed. It doesn't look like a full retail experience at all.

DefHalan wrote:

I actually think people have wanted Federation Force and Happy Home Designer. I have heard many people talk about Co-Op Metroid or explaining the universe or Metroid. I have also heard people say decorating their home in Animal Crossing was their favorite part of the game, and in Happy Home Designer you get to design multiple houses. I understand people weren't expecting these but I think people have been kinda asking for these games.

@DefHalan There are some people who want anything. I've even heard people say that they enjoyed Sonic Boom. It's Nintendo's job to figure out which of these ideas is most pervasive, and the impacts each would have. When it's been 5 years since the last Metroid game (which many people didn't like), a spinoff that doesn't really go with the series' core idea of exploration is going to piss some people off.

Edited on by iKhan

DefHalan

iKhan wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

I actually think people have wanted Federation Force and Happy Home Designer. I have heard many people talk about Co-Op Metroid or explaining the universe or Metroid. I have also heard people say decorating their home in Animal Crossing was their favorite part of the game, and in Happy Home Designer you get to design multiple houses. I understand people weren't expecting these but I think people have been kinda asking for these games.

There are some people who want anything. I've even heard people say that they enjoyed Sonic Boom. It's Nintendo's job to figure out which of these ideas is most pervasive, and the impacts each would have. When it's been 5 years since the last Metroid game (which many people didn't like), a spinoff that doesn't really go with the series' core idea of exploration is going to piss some people off.

I think the key there is that people didn't like it. Nintendo made (or published) the game and they thought it fit with past Metroid games. To have the fan base come back so hard on it, Nintendo needed to re-think Metroid. Federation Force is a way to do 2 things. Explore the Prime series, which a lot of people had grown tired of by the time Other M came out, and explore features "fans" have been asking for. It is also a budget title compared to Other M. If Other M was well received then I think we would have seen a sequel much sooner but because of the backlash from it, Nintendo needed to rethink and possibly not take as big of a risk (or take a bigger risk, depending on how you view Federation Force) on the next game. But Federation Force looks fun to me which I know is an unpopular opinion.

skywake

rallydefault wrote:

Nay nay, said the horse. You're altering history, kind sir. Pikmin released in mid July; 3D World released in late November (I'm in U.S.). That's not "about the same time." That's, quite literally, over three months apart. You can't just mash things together and pretend it happened a certain way.

Except I said The Wonderful 101, Wind Waker HD and 3D World launched at about the same time. A three month window is about the same time. It was August, September, September and November. Which I then compared to the Halo collection which came out in November the year after launch for the XBOne. I'm not altering history here you just read what I said in a way that I didn't indent. I assume that's a common thing occurring on this sub-forum in general

rallydefault wrote:

Also...Killer Instinct was live on Xbox One when it launched. I bought my Xbox One at launch, and I downloaded/was playing KI that same day. So unless my gamertag was given some sort of top-secret permission access, you are once again modifying history in some pretty strange ways.

Then that's what I get for trusting the release-dates as they are listed on Metacritic

rallydefault wrote:

But I will say I greatly enjoyed ZombiU, and that can certainly count. But if you didn't really notice, I was only sticking to first-party games. If you want to broaden out to third-party stuff, then we can include a whole lot more on the Xbox One/PS4 side of things.

Ryse wasn't a first party title. It was a Microsoft published timed console exclusive. And if you want to broaden out into third party games in general then the Wii U launch lineup was even less sparse. Face it, the Wii U's launch wasn't that much worse than the XBOne, PS4 or 3DS in terms of content. What made it bad was the fact that third parties were bailing and the system wasn't selling. Not content. Relatively speaking.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

BlueSkies

The tweeter who originally posted that NX wasn't going to be more powerful than PS4 later insinuated that it may be on par or more powerful than the X1. This whole scandal has been crocodile tears. Ask yourselves, are people really going to skip NX because it's only on par with X1 and PS4 when the latter two will remain on the market for up to 4 more years before being replaced (meaning Nintendo can get a full five years from the hardware)?

Untitled

https://twitter.com/dragonite27/status/617847662348365824

Edited on by BlueSkies

BlueSkies

jasonbrr

BlueSkies wrote:

The tweeter who originally posted that NX wasn't going to be more powerful than PS4 later insinuated that it may be on par or more powerful than the X1. This whole scandal has been crocodile tears. Ask yourselves, are people really going to skip NX because it's only on par with X1 and PS4 when the latter two will remain on the market for up to 4 more years before being replaced (meaning Nintendo can get a full five years from the hardware)?

Untitled

https://twitter.com/dragonite27/status/617847662348365824

He doesn't insinuate anything there. If nx is a standard home console. It needs to be better than the ps4. Putting something out now that's just on par with it isn't going to win anyone over. And if it's less powerful then they might as well just stop making consoles cause it will sell even worse then the wiiu.
That being said nx probably won't be a standard home console.

jasonbrr

skywake

BlueSkies wrote:

If this is the case then that's fine. The problem I had with the original rumour is that by saying it wouldn't be able to "compete on spec" that it would be at most somewhere between the Wii U and XBOne. Which people took to mean that it would be more in-line with the Wii U. If it's closer to the XBOne? Then that's competitive with the PS4 and in-line with the sort of pricepoint Nintendo has been doing with their hardware for a long while.

If it's a Wii U minor revision with new branding? They're wasting their time and they'd be better off just holding out for a bigger revision down the road. If it was a micro-console I'd wonder why on Earth the thing wasn't just a portable system. But on par with the XBOne? That's fine.... and not at all what anyone thought this rumour originally implied.

skywake

@IceClimbers: I wouldn't believe it either given the source. Still, not far off what I'd argue makes sense for an "under-par" 2016/17 home console. The thing that stands out to me immediately though is the amount of RAM. Even for shared RAM between GPU and CPU that amount is a bit pointless. 8GB? For sure. 12GB? Maybe. 16GB? .... why?

IceClimbers

@skywake: No idea. I think the least surprising thing would be that it's ARM based. I could see Nintendo going with an ARM based system.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

skywake

@IceClimbers: I only question the 16GB of RAM because of how needlessly overkill it is. I mean typically for a "gaming PC" you'd have 8GB of system memory and 2-4GB of graphics memory. That's plenty for a "just gaming at 1080p" machine. And that's on a PC where things generally aren't as optimised and you have various processes running in the background. If you were building a PC for yourself? Why not, it's $100 or so to the ticket price and if you want to why the hell not. For a console? .....

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.