Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 7,061 to 7,080 of 12,088

DaftAda

A few of mine:
DKC 3 is my favourite of the Snes trilogy.
I didn’t enjoy Wind Waker Or Mario Sunshine.
I don’t get the fuss over Metal Gear Solid.
I wish FPSs had a Goldeneye control scheme.

DaftAda

dionysos283

Unpopular gaming opinion:
DKC for NSO so far is the best Nintendo "game release" in 2020. 😉

dionysos283

dionysos283

At least I was the most excited about it, in comparison to all other Nintendo announcements in 2020, of which there were, of course, only a few..

Edited on by dionysos283

dionysos283

kkslider5552000

iKhan wrote:

Speaking of Zelda, here's a doozy. The Oracle games are unequivocally better than Links Awakening. Everything Link's Awakening does, the Oracle games do better, with the exception of story. Even as far as story goes, Oracle of Ages is no slouch, and honestly pushes the story of 2D games further than they had ever been pushed before.

My counterpoint is that the main gimmicks of the Oracle games (the time and season changing rods, especially the former) feel like they slow the games to a crawl at points, and that none of the best music in the Oracle games even compares to the best music of Link's Awakening (though to be fair, Tal Tal Heights is the peak of Gameboy music, so that's to be expected).

Also, while I did play both Oracle games growing up, I didn't realize until Nintendo Life's review how lacking Seasons' story is compared to Ages'. Because they specifically referenced playing Seasons second to have the connected storyline element add to Seasons' otherwise lackluster narrative and...um...yeah that's true.

this is one of those times where i should also point out that being a lesser zelda game still makes the Oracle games better than most games. they're really cool.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Vogagamitch

I've got a couple more unpopular opinions:

Epic Mickey is a terrific game, and easily one of the best on the Wii. Especially for Disney fans, it's just fantastic in every way. I got so absorbed in it as a kid, and it stands the test of time today. (Unfortunately, I thought the sequel on Gen 8 systems was pretty disappointing.)

The Wii U's "gimmick" (i.e. the dual-screen setup) wasn't inherently bad like some people like to suggest, and the main problem was a lack of utilization beyond the initial lineup. While it did make the console more expensive to produce, games like Nintendo Land (one of the best party-oriented games in general IMO) and Super Mario Maker gave us glimpses of how it really could have been a more successful concept if the system had been better marketed.

Gentlemen! You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!

Switch Friend Code: SW-1463-3871-5127

Heavyarms55

Unpopular opinion. I don't want indie "Retro wannabes" - I want the actual retro titles I have nostalgia for. I firmly disagree with "protectionist policies" for indie games. I've heard over and over that companies like Nintendo hold back on their retro catalog to help indie games flourish. But I feel indie games should succeed or fail based on their own merit - not as an weird substitute for classic titles.

Indie games like Stardew Valley, Hollow Knight, Celeste, Night in the Woods and Iconoclasts are all just great games that can compete in their own right. But then you have piles of shovelware retro-wannabe titles that can't. They are releasing on Switch or other platforms that don't have access to classic titles because if asked to compete on their own merit - they would lose.

And that's my unpopular opinion - they should lose. There's no reason we can't have the best classic titles on the same platform as the best indie titles. And doing that would help motivate some indie teams to go back to what makes indie games great - their freedom from having to fall in line with the norm of AAA or AA trends.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

kkslider5552000

Nintendo avoiding re-releasing all its old titles made sense in the first year of the Switch in order to bring the spotlight to indie games in general.

It's not a valid reason to do so now. Granted, it was never the real reason, the reason was they wanted to use it to sell NSO (or at least, the new retro game service Nintendo was making was decided to be used to sell NSO). And NSO took a while to become a paid service so...yeah. It just happened to work out to be a good thing that people were more encouraged to check these games out in 2017, instead of staying in their first party Nintendo bubble forever.

But the main thing is that Nintendo just likes re-releasing their games slowly. I don't think anyone at Nintendo has said why, so we can only speculate.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Buizel

@Heavyarms55 I don't buy the argument that Nintendo have been holding off releases to give indies some space. If that's the case...why would they release their games under a subscription model? For a small sum you have access to dozens of Nintendo classics - sure, you have to continually pay to have continual access, but you could easily try the whole library with one month's subscription. I think this has more appeal than outright purchasing an Indie game where you may have less idea about what you're getting.

That said, as @kkslider5552000 mentions it could well have been their strategy in the first year.

Personally, I think it's probably one of two things. (i) Perhaps they're avoiding bloating their system with retro games to maintain a solid release schedule / have retro titles as a fallback between big releases; (ii) perhaps they just don't realise how much demand there is for their legacy content.

At least 2'8".

Cotillion

@Heavyarms55 I agree, but I also don't believe it's true. I really think the only reason Nintendo is holding back its library is to hold them hostage behind the NSO paywall, a paid service that is somehow worse than what was available for free in the previous generation .
Good games stand on their own, Indie or not. I was playing great Indie games when VC was a thing. Why? Because they were good. I'm not now suddenly paying for and playing bad or even mediocre Indie games just because I can't get retro ones on Switch. I'm still getting the good Indie games I'm interested in and instead just playing retro on older systems (or, in what's an unpopular opinion, via 'alternate' methods).

Cotillion

Heavyarms55

@Cotillion @HunterLeon I don't know how true it is - but that's the most often excuse I see for it. I've mentioned before I don't care if the games comes to NSO, in collections on cartridges or just VC style one by one on the eshop - I just want them to come to the Switch.

And it's starting to feel like an unpopular opinion that I don't want to mod a system and pirate everything. I do actually want to buy them legitimately at reasonable prices - and I do think VC was reasonably priced - I even think NSO is shockingly cheap. I actually think because NSO is so cheap that might be related to Nintendo's reluctance to bring games beyond NES and SNES to the service.

Another unpopular opinion, I would pay more for NSO if it added more game systems and features.

Edited on by Heavyarms55

kkslider5552000

I've never been on the "the pricing sucks" bandwagon for Nintendo's old game releases. I mean, its good and smart that Nintendo went the way they did with Switch (well for the retro game service on its own anyway), but I do really feel like some people act like after a while those VC prices were unforgivable.

I guess its a reminder that you can't take quality alone into account for how much a game is worth. Because otherwise, anyone saying Super Metroid or Super Mario RPG isn't worth 8 dollars sounds like a complete tool.

Buizel

@kkslider5552000 I kinda agree with this. I do wonder...if you're not willing to pay $8 for a game, is that game even really worth your time in the first place?

Although perhaps that's just the limited perspective of a 29-year-old whose time is more a limiting factor than money when it comes to games.

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

Cotillion

@Heavyarms55 I would also gladly pay more for more games. Before NSO actually launched and when Reggie was touting Switch as 'the best place for Legacy content', I was half expecting a full fledged retro service. The Netflix of retro games; because they were saying how it was going to be the place to play them.
Mind you, not for the price of NSO, but I thought NSO might be step 1 with limited access to a few games, then there'd be another option when you pay more for full access to as many as they could offer.

What gets me is that there is no work involved at this point. They have perfectly fine working emulators for the NES and SNES running on Switch. There's nothing to port, to fix, to make work. It's just copy/pasting ROMs at this point and either putting them on the service or selling them (granted, there are some with specialized chips that may need extra emulator work, but those are the exception, not the rule).

Cotillion

Heavyarms55

@Cotillion Like, I get that there are plenty of licencing issues for a lot of well loved legacy games. And I even understand them not wanting to just dump everything onto the service at once. But they add to it SO infrequently that it's like they go weeks at a time having forgotten about the service at all, and then some intern remembers and digs around in the closet to find a couple roms to throw onto the service and call it a day.

Ralizah

Unpopular Nintendo opinions:

• Nintendo's recent Direct mini was probably one of their most exciting Directs to date. I absolutely loved it.
  • In the first seven months of this year, we've received: a Xenoblade game, Animal Crossing, two Atlus releases, a high-profile Mana game, and multiple excellent AAA ports, making this very easily the best first seven months of any year for the Nintendo Switch to date since the end of 2017. People are entitled to their opinions, but anyone who says this isn't far better than comparable periods of time during 2018 or 2019 are nuts, IMO.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Xyphon22

Ralizah wrote:

• In the first seven months of this year, we've received: a Xenoblade game, Animal Crossing, two Atlus releases, a high-profile Mana game, and multiple excellent AAA ports, making this very easily the best first seven months of any year for the Nintendo Switch to date since the end of 2017. People are entitled to their opinions, but anyone who says this isn't far better than comparable periods of time during 2018 or 2019 are nuts, IMO.

In a similar vein, and I've kind of said it before, if you are ever in a video game drought, you have way too much time and money on your hands. I want all of those games that you've listed above, and I have 2 of them (Animal Crossing and Bioshock). I simply don't have time for any more (I don't have time for those, to be honest). Even in the "dreadful" Wii U days I never came close to running out of games to play, and I don't own any other consoles. Surely even in these quarantine times, people can find something else to do with their lives.

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

Buizel

@Xyphon22 I agree. Switch is my main system and I feel I've barely scratched the surface of everything I'd like to play on it. And some of the biggest games are on my list to replay (e.g. Mario Odyssey, BotW, Three Houses, Xenoblade 2).

@Ralizah What was the other Atlus game? (only Catherine comes to mind)

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

jump

@HunterLeon the other Atlus game is Tokyo Mirage Session.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Losermagnet

@Ralizah Not to disagree, but I think the term "drought" means different things to different people (beyond the obvious). I think this year has been light on hype, and that's driving some people a little crazy.

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

Buizel

@jump oh wow I feel really silly for forgetting that considering it's probably my most-played Switch game of the year!

At least 2'8".

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic