Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 6,321 to 6,340 of 12,088

GrailUK

Game mechanics is how the game moves. Physics etc.

Gameplay mechanisms is usually what folk mean when they say mechanics.

Unpopular I know...but bloody correct lol.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

NEStalgia

@GrailUK In the case of FFVII the mechanisms are mostly ok, it's the mechanics that are flat broken.

@kkslider5552000 ATB wasn't great in general, but in VII the story goes to pot not long after "the incident" too.... It was amazing prior to that last portion though.

NEStalgia

Harmonie

@NEStalgia I feel like if I played one of the newer FF's I might be able to manage it. I think my stress toward FFVII's overworld comes from the random battles (which the newer FF's don't have, I hear?) and the fact that you can see so little of the map at any time and that there's no indication of where I'm supposed to go, and the fact that I don't even know how to refuel the vehicle or if that is even possible.

I have a feeling I may just be better off playing the remake. I'm really looking forward to it, TBH.

Harmonie

Nintendo Network ID: WoodwindsRock

kkslider5552000

I know some people have been dying for SE to bring back ATB (this is an actual unpopular opinion too, I just realized!), but I really don't for the most part. I don't DISLIKE it exactly, but again...Chrono Trigger is the only game I've played with it where I felt it really added to the game. ATB in hindsight is just kind of an awkward compromise between turn based and real time. It sacrifices a couple of the benefits of turn based and most of the benefits of real time, I'd just prefer one or the other instead. Bravely Default, for any problems I have with it, has a fantastic Final Fantasy styled turn based battle system. FFX too IIRC.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Dogorilla

FFIX is the only game I've played so far that uses ATB, but I didn't really see the point of it. It just felt like a normal turn-based battle system but with an unnecessary few seconds' pause after each turn.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

Anti-Matter

@Dogorilla
ATB was like the speed of your turn to do Action based on your character's speed.
FF Tactics used that speed base formula to determine who will did first.
Just compare the ATB speed from Zidane with Steiner.

Anti-Matter

Dogorilla

@Anti-Matter Yeah, I guess the characters having different ATB speeds was supposed to have an impact on battles, but to me it just didn't feel very different to a normal turn-based system.

Funky Kong

NEStalgia

@ReaderRagfish CT was a special case of the story, characters, and world being more interesting than the gameplay. Gameplay was an interesting enough experience but it wasn't the hook. The story was.

@Harmonie My unpopular gaming opinion here is that FF needs random battles. I hate random battles. Everyone complains about random battles. They're annoying. But FFXIII clearly demonstrates how critical they are to the FF formula, and how bland the game feels without them. More importantly, after the "off" feeling of FFXIII, FFXIII-2 added them back in, and suddenly the whole game felt like FF again. So as much as we hate them in FF, we need them in FF. XIII has, in my unpopular opinion, the best battle system of any FF to date. But the game world itself felt wrong with narrow roads and no randoms...just walking up to the crowd of enemies, you were basically designed to always fight every enemy in the game, no more, no less....just a progression of battles on a fixed pace. Boring as that was, it also ensured everyone was the same level at a given battle, so it let them tune the difficulty of a given boss to require fixed strategy rather than just overleveling, or risking being underleveled...you had to figure out the right tactics....which made battles better, even if the game world was worse. XIII-2 and XIII-LR felt like a great fusion of traditional FF and something different. We don't talk about XV. Final Fantasy: Monsterhunter's Creed Theft Reddead Auto with Spiky Hair (or Final Fantasy McTRASH.)

Actually it's a decent game as its own thing...but not as an FF game...it should just be its own thing.

Finally the other unpopular opinion: World of Final Fantasy is the second best, if not best, FF game ever. Albeit you get more out of it having played the others and knowing the internet memes/tropes about them.

NEStalgia

Anti-Matter

@NEStalgia
I have ever almost fallen asleep during playing World of Final Fantasy.
Not really sure if i was bored by the mediocre conversations and typical "Dead City" from Tetsuya Nomura games (Dead world = City with almost nobody live on)

Anti-Matter

TuVictus

@NEStalgia Very well said about the 13 games! Never thought about them like that, but it's a great explanation for why I enjoyed XIII as much as I did. The paradigm system is one I wish we could see another evolution of.

TuVictus

Dogorilla

This is a fairly niche opinion so I'm not sure how unpopular it is, but I think Crypt of the Necrodancer would work better if it wasn't a roguelike (or -lite or whatever). The rhythmic gameplay takes a lot of getting used to, and that would be easier to do if the game had stages specifically designed to introduce you to the gameplay mechanisms ( ) and didn't send you right back to the start of the zone when you die.

Funky Kong

Blad

MarioLover92 wrote:

The Switch doesn't need Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, YouTube, etc. I bought a Switch to play games on it, after all! Similarly, I think the Wii and Wii U did not need a DVD/blu-ray built in.

While it’s a bonus, it’s not required.

Blad

Switch Friend Code: SW-8345-2077-2420 | 3DS Friend Code: 4270-6739-1319 | My Nintendo: Coolcario | Nintendo Network ID: K-Star

Blad

I HATED Rusty’s Real Deal. Fight me.

Blad

Switch Friend Code: SW-8345-2077-2420 | 3DS Friend Code: 4270-6739-1319 | My Nintendo: Coolcario | Nintendo Network ID: K-Star

Blad

Magikarp3 wrote:

I think that video game soundtracks should have the same recognition as mainstream music. It should be illegal for composers to work for free.

I think game developers should acknowledge the fact that gaming is male dominated as a huge problem which is their duty to solve. This goes for both cleaning up the online community as well has having proper representation in games.

I think making sequels is a silly idea, unless they're sequels in name only like the Final Fantasy series. Plots which span 5+ games aren't worth the effort.

Agree all the way

Blad

Blad

Persona 4 music SUCKS. The only good song is the one that they use in all persona games (aka the velvet room), Reach out to the truth and the final song.

Edited on by Blad

Blad

Heavyarms55

New unpopular opinion, I'm still excited for Pokemon Sword and Shield. Maybe not as much as I would have been before the "controversy" but I still very much look forward to playing it.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

Jojabean44

My unpopular gaming opinion is that I think mario tennis Aces is awful. I dont find anything fun about it.

Jojabean44

Blad

Heavyarms55 wrote:

Unpopular opinion, I don't like the mini consoles, I would happily pay the same price for the collections of those games on Switch. (Or in the case of Playstation, on the PS4/5)

I somewhat agree. To give an example, Nintendo gave us 100 chances to play NES games.If not that, 10000.

Blad

Blad

This is probably my most unpopular opinion, I don’t care about Splatoon 3. I think it will be a good game, but I still don’t care about it.

Blad

Blad

Anti-Matter wrote:

Meanwhile, PS4 is still a Big disappointment for me.
I have sold some of my PS4 games, exchanged them with Switch version.
Now, it just only TWO PS4 games in my shelf. (Portal Knights and The Sims 4)

Portal Knights is available on Switch(I think).
I’m pretty sure you knew that that already, but I’m just saying.

Blad

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic