Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 5,361 to 5,380 of 12,088

SM4SHshorts

@Blue_Blur Ha, that is pretty sweet! GC MPs were also good, but they just couldn't top the N64 ones for me! Don't even get me started on the Wii and Wii U ones though. Super excited to see how Ninty could possibly resurrect the franchise with MP11 on the Switch!

Follow @SM4SHshorts on Instagram – the Super Smash Bros. 4 community channel for fun and original replay edits and general content. Send your clips to [email protected] for a chance to have them edited and featured!

Nintendo Network ID: SM4SHshorts | Twitter:

Videogameguru50

@shaneoh I think it possible to judge them as full games because they are only halfs if you link them.

Videogameguru50

Videogameguru50

@shaneoh I just consider them full games because each part is around the length of links awakening, another underrated Zelda game I may add.

Videogameguru50

Tyranexx

Personally I consider both Oracle games a full game. While it's true that they supplement each other and that a linked game gives you the true ending, each game's story can theoretically stand alone in its own right. Plus, the length of each is roughly on par with the other handheld Zelda entries (I'm not speaking for ALBW though since I haven't played it yet).

@SMEXIZELDAMAN: C'mon, I know you don't really think that for every single case.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Haywired

Speaking of that Sony 2006 conference (well it is E3 time), I never understood why Sony didn't just announce an EyeToy 2 at that event to counter the Wii. We all knew what the Wii was by that point, they could've easily cobbled together a trailer for it or something. It's been largely wiped from history (as it doesn't quite fit in with the whole "Nintendo is the only one that innovates and everyone always copies them" narrative), but Sony had a big motion control device on the market already, the EyeToy, with motion-controlled party, sports and fitness games.

Untitled

Just present a sequel to the EyeToy and those games. Even if they turned out crap (well they're motion control games, so highly likely...) they still could've massively taken the wind out of Nintendo's sails and humiliated them. After all, while Nintendo was boasting about their amazing new innovation and defining their whole console around it, Sony could've just casually been like "Yeah, we've already got that. It's no big deal".

They decided to counter the Wii by crowbarring motion controls into the PS3 controller, inviting people to mock them and accuse them of copying Nintendo, but if they'd presented EyeToy 2 instead, people would've accused Nintendo of copying them (unless it's only Nintendo fans who are obsessed with accusing everyone of copying, which may very well be the case. Like the eventual Kinect, which was accused of copying the Wii even though it has way more in common with the EyeToy. Yet conveniently they don't accuse the Wii of copying the EyeToy, even though, by their logic, it's the same difference...)

I'm not saying the Wii would've been DOA or anything, but when Microsoft did bring out Kinect, the 360 was then seen as the console that catered to core and casual alike and the Wii began to fall by the wayside, so I think it certainly would've taken a lot of the shine off of it. For me, that was one of Sony's biggest errors at the time, but I've never seen anyone else mention it, so I guess it's unpopular.

Haywired

BranJ0

@Anti-Matter That's really not unpopular at all, in fact it would be far more unpopular to say you enjoyed it!

BranJ0

Dogorilla

I didn't really enjoy Xenoblade Chronicles. The story, music and the world are all great, but something about the combat just didn't click with me. I did play it for about 80 hours before giving up though.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

Haywired

Now that Samus Returns is doing to Metroid 2 what Zero Mission did to Metroid 1 (ie. making it actually playable), my unpopular opinion is that I can't stand Metroid 1 and 2. Seemingly considered classics just because of the fact that they're old and made by Nintendo. I have similar feelings towards Kid Icarus, so I guess my ultra-unpopular opinion is that I don't think Gunpei Yokoi was a very good game designer, and it's no surprise to me that his franchises never took off like Miyamoto's ones did.

Speaking of Metroid (sorry Metroid...), you often hear that "Metroid isn't big in Japan", which is an odd phrase really as it kind of insinuates that Metroid is huge everywhere else, which it isn't. While to be fair, I don't hear this as much nowadays, I do remember often hearing of Nintendo having a "big 3" franchises (Mario, Zelda and Metroid). Now, with all due respect to Metroid, if Nintendo had a "big 10" Metroid wouldn't make the cut.

Criticizing motion controls certainly isn't unpopular, but motion controls on a handheld, where you have to move/tilt the screen that you're actually looking at is really annoying and I don't understand how it's tolerated let alone praised.

I hate it in RPGs when there's a ridiculously hard boss battle, but that you're not supposed to win. ie. eventually it will go to a cut-scene and the boss will be all like "you're not strong enough to take me on now" or whatever. Luckily so far this has always happened just before the point where I was about to smash my controller into a thousand pieces. But worse than that, now whenever there is a ridiculously hard boss battle in an RPG, I'm like "It's fine. It's supposed to be like this. It's going to go to a cut-scene in a minute" and then eventually it dawns on me... "Oh God, no it isn't..."

It annoys me how the original NES Zelda is often held up as a game with zero handholding or direction (either as praise or criticism). While this isn't entirely inaccurate, everyone seems to forget (including Nintendo themselves apparently as they've never included it in the electronic manual whenever they've ported/emulated it) that the original NES game came with a complete map of the overworld, showing the location and order of the first 4 dungeons (and other hints). Now, because of this oversight, posturing wannabe-tough-guys (because of course, boasting about being good at video games on an online forum is second only to UFC fighters in toughness...) use it as an example how "we didn't need direction/handholding unlike you modern snowflakes" and newcomers think the game is ridiculously obscure and inaccessible and has aged horribly. Now of course when they say that about NES Metroid that's fair enough (sorry Metroid...), but with NES Zelda they're not getting the whole picture (literally).

Haywired

kkslider5552000

Haywired wrote:

Now that Samus Returns is doing to Metroid 2 what Zero Mission did to Metroid 1 (ie. making it actually playable), my unpopular opinion is that I can't stand Metroid 1 and 2. Seemingly considered classics just because of the fact that they're old and made by Nintendo. I have similar feelings towards Kid Icarus, so I guess my ultra-unpopular opinion is that I don't think Gunpei Yokoi was a very good game designer, and it's no surprise to me that his franchises never took off like Miyamoto's ones did.

Speaking of Metroid (sorry Metroid...), you often hear that "Metroid isn't big in Japan", which is an odd phrase really as it kind of insinuates that Metroid is huge everywhere else, which it isn't. While to be fair, I don't hear this as much nowadays, I do remember often hearing of Nintendo having a "big 3" franchises (Mario, Zelda and Metroid). Now, with all due respect to Metroid, if Nintendo had a "big 10" Metroid wouldn't make the cut.

Criticizing motion controls certainly isn't unpopular, but motion controls on a handheld, where you have to move/tilt the screen that you're actually looking at is really annoying and I don't understand how it's tolerated let alone praised.

I hate it in RPGs when there's a ridiculously hard boss battle, but that you're not supposed to win. ie. eventually it will go to a cut-scene and the boss will be all like "you're not strong enough to take me on now" or whatever. Luckily so far this has always happened just before the point where I was about to smash my controller into a thousand pieces. But worse than that, now whenever there is a ridiculously hard boss battle in an RPG, I'm like "It's fine. It's supposed to be like this. It's going to go to a cut-scene in a minute" and then eventually it dawns on me... "Oh God, no it isn't..."

It annoys me how the original NES Zelda is often held up as a game with zero handholding or direction (either as praise or criticism). While this isn't entirely inaccurate, everyone seems to forget (including Nintendo themselves apparently as they've never included it in the electronic manual whenever they've ported/emulated it) that the original NES game came with a complete map of the overworld, showing the location and order of the first 4 dungeons (and other hints). Now, because of this oversight, posturing wannabe-tough-guys (because of course, boasting about being good at video games on an online forum is second only to UFC fighters in toughness...) use it as an example how "we didn't need direction/handholding unlike you modern snowflakes" and newcomers think the game is ridiculously obscure and inaccessible and has aged horribly. Now of course when they say that about NES Metroid that's fair enough (sorry Metroid...), but with NES Zelda they're not getting the whole picture (literally).

Borderline none of these are (or should be) unpopular. (Metroid 2's much better than 1, if nothing else)

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Haywired

@kkslider5552000
Well I never thought I'd slag off Gunpei Yokoi on a Nintendo site and be told that that's not an unpopular opinion.

Haywired

LuckyLand

I love Wii (NOT for the motion controls, I love it for its great games and also for other reasons but absolutely NOT for the motion controls) and I never liked Ape escape at all but I think that it was Nintendo who took inspiration from that PS1 game when they started to work on the Wii, because the concept is exactly the same even if Ape escape used a common gamepad.

Edited on by LuckyLand

I used to be a ripple user like you, then I took The Arrow in the knee

Krull

@Haywired Just wanted to say I enjoyed your post a lot! Especially about the RPG boss cut scenes, when you suddenly realise you're not supposed to win. And then think you're not supposed to win, when actually you are...

That is annoying!

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

Phazon

Hey Capcom, where's our new Megaman gam-

oh...right.....

Phazon

Timppis

Wii U had better first year than Switch regarding software releases.

THERE! Finally said it out loud.

Phew. That makes me feel so much better.

Edited on by Timppis

Timppis

Phazon

Timppis wrote:

Wii U had better first year than Switch regarding software releases.

THERE! Finally said it out loud.

Phew. That makes me feel so much better.

oh boy, I can't wait to play Super Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2 plus new Yoshi & Kirby games on my Wii U.

Phazon

Timppis

@Phazon

Wii U had Zombi U, 2D Mario, Pikmin, W101, Game & Wario etc.

And 3rd parties more than you can easily type, AC, COD, FIFA and numerous others.

edit: Oh... and also 3D Mario in the first year. 3D Mario World is a fantastic game.

Edited on by Timppis

Timppis

Dang69

I got one: LOZ 2: The Adventure of Link is one of the best LOZ and NES games ever made and in no way deserves being called the black sheep of the fam when compared to the awful Skyward Sword (the story is pretty damn good in it tho...until I never finished it).

Dang69

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic