Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 1,141 to 1,160 of 12,088

CaviarMeths

But scaled EXP requirements already encourage players to move to areas with better EXP rewards... why have penalties for level difference?

Sounds like something that makes less sense the more I try to understand it.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

GuSolarFlare

I left the Exp.Share on all the way up to the elite 4, I only start playing Pokémon for real after I get the story out of the way.
what's weird because I do the oposite in most other RPGs.

Edited on by GuSolarFlare

goodbyes are a sad part of life but for every end there's a new beggining so one must never stop looking forward to the next dawn
now working at IBM as helpdesk analyst
my Backloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

LzWinky

The EXP share is the greatest thing to have when raising new teams

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

DiscoDriver43

This reminds me since this is apprently unpopular with hardcore gamers: I don't see why people would get angry at optional things that would help a struggling player or someone know is new to a series. I mean you don't have to use it or anything.

Edited on by DiscoDriver43

http://www.backloggery.com/discodriver43

Recently watched films: The Martian

Currently playing: Max Payne

LzWinky

DiscoDriver43 wrote:

This reminds me since this is apprently unpopular with hardcore gamers: I don't see why people would get angry at optional things that would help a struggling player or someone know is new to a series. I mean you don't have to use it or anything.

Because it makes them seem less manly for playing the game

I remember when Fire Emblem fans were "offended" by a Casual Mode.

Edited on by LzWinky

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

GuSolarFlare

DiscoDriver43 wrote:

it really depends, if the optional thing gives an unfair competitive advantage to a certain group of players it's bad
otherwise it's really nice
though the unfair advantage usually goes to the hardcore players that use it as if they were begginers... in this case the casual players should be the ones complaining? I feel like I made this even more confusing....

Edited on by GuSolarFlare

goodbyes are a sad part of life but for every end there's a new beggining so one must never stop looking forward to the next dawn
now working at IBM as helpdesk analyst
my Backloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

Nintendo_Ninja

DiscoDriver43 wrote:

Now that i think about it, Team Rocket isn't nearly as cool as Gen 1 fans would like to believe. I mean, they are some criminal gang, but that is just about it. though Team Flare is kind of edgying them out on the lame side. They seem to be some bright clothed wearing dorks, but then again i am on my 5th badge Also, Team Rocket is more pathetic than the other teams. They get beaten up twice by little
kids and judging by the trainers in Victory Road, Giovanni has probably lost alot of battles.

I like them based on the things they did, they force you to do fun quest stuff in gen 2. I think team galactic was the most evil team.

Nintendo ID Network: Nintendo_Ninja
Mario Maker ID: LR5-VQV-THG

CaviarMeths

Casual Mode is awesome because people I couldn't convince to try Fire Emblem before because of permadeath can now jump into it.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Nintendo_Ninja

DiscoDriver43 wrote:

Now that i think about it, Team Rocket isn't nearly as cool as Gen 1 fans would like to believe. I mean, they are some criminal gang, but that is just about it. though Team Flare is kind of edgying them out on the lame side. They seem to be some bright clothed wearing dorks, but then again i am on my 5th badge Also, Team Rocket is more pathetic than the other teams. They get beaten up twice by little
kids and judging by the trainers in Victory Road, Giovanni has probably lost alot of battles.

I like them based on the things they did, they force you to do fun quest stuff in gen 2. I think team galactic was the most evil team.

Dr_Corndog

My unpopular opinions:

Chrono Cross is a better game than Chrono Trigger.

Early Zelda games encouraged exploration. When Zelda hit 3D, it became more confined. That's why 2D Zeldas tend to be better than 3D Zeldas.

Naughty Dog hasn't released a great game since the Crash Bandicoot days.

Tingle is hilarious. American gamers are too uptight to appreciate him.

Despite what some think, Sonic Adventure 2 was not the last great 3D Sonic game. Sonic Adventure was better; Sonic Colors was MUCH better; for that matter, Sonic Heroes was better. In fact, SA2 has a great number of problems.

The Wii U is the only current-gen console worth owning, thanks to the Gamepad and its high-quality exclusives. Anyone considering an XB1 or PS4 would be much better off with a good PC.

Dr_Corndog

Nintendo Network ID: DrCecilCorndog

LzWinky

3D Zeldas weren't really confined until Twilight Princess. OoT, MM and WW encouraged exploration

CanisWolfred

CaviarMeths wrote:

Casual Mode is awesome because people I couldn't convince to try Fire Emblem before because of permadeath can now jump into it.

Yeah. I'll admit, I never was a big fan of Fire Emblem until Casual mode took off the huge weight of anxiety the series usually forces on me.

Unca_Lz wrote:

3D Zeldas weren't really confined until Twilight Princess. OoT, MM and WW encouraged exploration

MM did not encourage exploration. OoT didn't have much to really explore for, either, IIRC. I'll give you Wind Waker, though. It's the closest to the 2D games as far as actually having a lot to see and explore that's not forced on you.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

LzWinky

MM had a different type of exploration though. You had to explore both location AND time in certain quests

CanisWolfred

Unca_Lz wrote:

MM had a different type of exploration though. You had to explore both location AND time in certain quests

Which really makes exploring tedious, thus deterring me from wanting to explore.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

spizzamarozzi

kkslider5552000 wrote:

That's why Kingdoms of Amalur does this type of thing way better than most modern games, because it's made by a great composer and it would fit in perfectly in a legit big budget film. I won't say who that composer is because you will look it up and be happy.
Though I actually think vocal music and pop song-like music can be kinda awesome for games sometimes (I adore The World Ends With You's soundtrack, even if half of the singers probably do mediocre dubbed versions of anime Openings)

I AM happy to know that Kirkhope is still working in this industry, and I believe it's kinda proof that people who have had a band/song oriented formation usually make videogame soundtracks with personality, while people who got a degree in composition at the music college are "programmed" to make elevator music.

Honestly I believe it's getting harder and harder to produce quality videogame music, because games are getting less and less scripted and they allow you a vast freedom of movement. That's where bland music comes in handy, because being so bland you can move the pieces around and still end up with a background music that sounds consistent to your actions on screen without your ear noticing too much of a break in pace/mood/tempo.
I have no problem with producers putting cocktail music in their games, but at least don't go "We have hired the bloody London Symphony Orchestra to record our anonymous tracks" because that has a price that users are going to pay in cash.

And don't get me wrong, I love when they use proper vocal songs in games and I think it's an underused approach (probably because composing great vocal songs is harder than compose background music). Persona was probably a bad example because IIRC it just has this 3 min overly-pop song playing loop and it just makes your brain self implode. Some of the stuff on the early WarioWares was mega. I tend to find Japanese authors very extreme in a good way, they kinda don't know where to stop in this regard. I remember one Final Fantasy (probably on PS2?!) had these wonderful Michelle-ma-belle Beatlesesque melodies and then a death metal song - it worked!!

Top-10 games I played in 2017: The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild (WiiU) - Rogue Legacy (PS3) - Fallout 3 (PS3) - Red Dead Redemption (PS3) - Guns of Boom (MP) - Sky Force Reloaded (MP) - ...

3DS Friend Code: 0104-0649-7464 | Nintendo Network ID: spizzamarozzi

Memeboy3

I actually liked Paper Mario: Sticker Star.
While it's not as good as the others, I thought it was a pretty solid game on its own merits and the ''Things'', or whatever you call them, really do have their personal own charm that leaves a small grin on my face.

S'up
I love Anime and Wii U and 3DS games with Barry and Ross.
And Im playing Super Mario 3D World, KI:U, Colors, etc
My friend code:
3711- 7655 - 4325
My Nintendo network ID :Pokelover10

CaviarMeths

Uncharted kinda sucks. Having yet another endless shootout scene every 12 steps obliterates the pacing of the game.

jav55

kirby amazing mirror is the best game of all time

jav55

Nintendo_Ninja

One of the many reasons I'm excited for the new Zelda, is that it won't be as linear. It will take WW exploration to the next level.

TheKingOfTown

Nintendo_Ninja wrote:

One of the many reasons I'm excited for the new Zelda, is that it won't be as linear. It will take WW exploration to the next level.

That's not really unpopular.

Why do people point to their wrists when asking for the time, but don't point to their crotch when they ask where the bathroom is?

PSN ID: CTID16

3DS Friend Code: 1891-1201-0412 | Nintendo Network ID: TheKingOfTown

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic