Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 1,121 to 1,140 of 12,088

spizzamarozzi

Maelstrom wrote:

spizzamarozzi wrote:

I'm not a fan of orchestrated music in videogames.

Do you mean full orchestra and not orchestral? If you like Xenoblade Ch. style music, try listening to the Bravely Default soundtrack. It's one of the best, recorded from a live orchestra, but doesn't rely on strings. Nearly every song has a bass and electric guitar along with some brass or high strings. It's quite possibly the best video game soundtrack ever.

yeah sorry - I meant "orchestral" (let me change that, "orchestrated" sounds sinister). Cheers for the tip about the Bravely Default OST. Xenoblade Chronicles is one game that tried very interesting things music-wise, especially the acoustic guitar in the "lonesome valley" scenes. Usually I find there's an abuse of strings, kettledrums and other "light" instruments in RPGs, especially in large fields and other environments where they try to convey a feeling of open space...of "airy". To me that sounds wrong because you end up contemplating the emptiness. You can take most of these games, put some spanish guitar pizzicato chords here and there, and they will dramatically improve.

Other times the try to go to the other end of the spectrum and fall into japanese pop which, to my ear, is overly melodic. I remember one game (the first Persona?!?) had this pop song during all the combats and it drives you insane. Nintendo is doing very good with their studio recorded music. Even the track to the Splatoon trailer sounds good (except the childish Ramones-esque vocal part...hard to digest!!).

cheers again for recommending Bravely Default. I will look into it!

Top-10 games I played in 2017: The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild (WiiU) - Rogue Legacy (PS3) - Fallout 3 (PS3) - Red Dead Redemption (PS3) - Guns of Boom (MP) - Sky Force Reloaded (MP) - ...

3DS Friend Code: 0104-0649-7464 | Nintendo Network ID: spizzamarozzi

kkslider5552000

I do agree that Orchestral music in video games is frequently used as a way to use an orchestra to hide mediocre composition (I think it would be composition....melody?). To be honest, I think GoodFeel's composer/s has a similar issue (controversy).

That's why Kingdoms of Amalur does this type of thing way better than most modern games, because it's made by a great composer and it would fit in perfectly in a legit big budget film. I won't say who that composer is because you will look it up and be happy.

Though I actually think vocal music and pop song-like music can be kinda awesome for games sometimes (I adore The World Ends With You's soundtrack, even if half of the singers probably do mediocre dubbed versions of anime Openings)

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

PanicPuppet

Sonomin wrote:

The Kirby franchise is rather mediocre and bland overall..

I agree.

Sure, the series is chalk full of cute characters and creative art directions. But most of the time there's not much to them beyond that. It seems like Kirby is built up to be something bigger and deeper than it really is; compare Kirby's 20th Anniversary Wii collection to [poor] Mario's 25th one.

PanicPuppet

CaviarMeths

Maelstrom wrote:

[Bravely Default OST is] quite possibly the best video game soundtrack ever.

It's fantastic, but I wouldn't even put it on par with a bored Uemetsu or Shimomura.

For my money, Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross still have the best VG OSTs of all time.

Edited on by CaviarMeths

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

HappyHappyist

CaviarMeths wrote:

Maelstrom wrote:

[Bravely Default OST is] quite possibly the best video game soundtrack ever.

For my money, Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross still have the best VG OSTs of all time.

betting money on subjective things, many keks will be had.

Edited on by HappyHappyist

i am part of a social group interested in uniting the world by painting it blue.
Blue blue.

Nintendo_Ninja

Mitsuko_Chan wrote:

The Powerpuff Girls are more cute and adorable than Kirby.

GET OUT!!!

Nintendo ID Network: Nintendo_Ninja
Mario Maker ID: LR5-VQV-THG

DiscoDriver43

Now that i think about it, Team Rocket isn't nearly as cool as Gen 1 fans would like to believe. I mean, they are some criminal gang, but that is just about it. though Team Flare is kind of edgying them out on the lame side. They seem to be some bright clothed wearing dorks, but then again i am on my 5th badge Also, Team Rocket is more pathetic than the other teams. They get beaten up twice by little kids and judging by the trainers in Victory Road, Giovanni has probably lost alot of battles.

Edited on by DiscoDriver43

http://www.backloggery.com/discodriver43

Recently watched films: The Martian

Currently playing: Max Payne

GuSolarFlare

I think future Pokémon games should let the player choose to be an adult(or a least an older kid) it's not like the game's story depends on the fact you're a 10 years old trainer(ok, maybe the beggining does but I'd like character customisation to reach a point that it gets like in Battle Revolution at least)

Edited on by GuSolarFlare

goodbyes are a sad part of life but for every end there's a new beggining so one must never stop looking forward to the next dawn
now working at IBM as helpdesk analyst
my Backloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

Geonjaha

DiscoDriver43 wrote:

Now that i think about it, Team Rocket isn't nearly as cool as Gen 1 fans would like to believe. I mean, they are some criminal gang, but that is just about it. though Team Flare is kind of edgying them out on the lame side. They seem to be some bright clothed wearing dorks, but then again i am on my 5th badge Also, Team Rocket is more pathetic than the other teams. They get beaten up twice by little kids and judging by the trainers in Victory Road, Giovanni has probably lost alot of battles.

I don't think any of the criminal gangs in Pokémon are great at what they do. They all get beaten by children.

Geonjaha

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

DiscoDriver43

GuSolarFlare wrote:

I think future Pokémon games should let the player choose to be an adult(or a least an older kid) it's not like the game's story depends on the fact you're a 10 years old trainer(ok, maybe the beggining does but I'd like character customisation to reach a point that it gets like in Battle Revolution at least)

didn't Pokemon white and black had teenagers as players.

GuSolarFlare

DiscoDriver43 wrote:

GuSolarFlare wrote:

didn't Pokemon white and black had teenagers as players.

maybe? I thought they looked older only because of the clothes...
time to google it!
...yep, you're right, my mistake.

goodbyes are a sad part of life but for every end there's a new beggining so one must never stop looking forward to the next dawn
now working at IBM as helpdesk analyst
my Backloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

CanisWolfred

DiscoDriver43 wrote:

That's...actually what makes them cool. They're believeable villains. Their motives are down to earth and practical, as are most of their actions in the game. I think the only unbelievable part is that despite being criminals, they'll still follow the code of conduct of Pokemon battles...but so do the rest of the Pokemon villains, so that's just how it goes.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

DiscoDriver43

Here is another bomb. I am glad the Exp point system returned from it's Pre-gen 5 thing. one of things i didn't like about Pokemon White and Black because i thought it needlessly crippled stronger pokemon's chances of leveling up. The Exp Share is the best thing in Pokemon X and Y since it allows the other team members to catch up without hurting the pokemon in battle.

CanisWolfred

DiscoDriver43 wrote:

Here is another bomb. I am glad the Exp point system returned from it's Pre-gen 5 thing. one of things i didn't like about Pokemon White and Black because i thought it needlessly crippled stronger pokemon's chances of leveling up. The Exp Share is the best thing in Pokemon X and Y since it allows the other team members to catch up without hurting the pokemon in battle.

Am I in the wrong thread? Because I'm pretty sure nobody liked the way exp worked in Gen V. It was a flawed system that only made grinding even more tedious than it already was.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

CaviarMeths

What did Gen V do differently? I skipped that gen.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Octane

DiscoDriver43 wrote:

The Exp Share is the best thing in Pokemon X and Y since it allows the other team members to catch up without hurting the pokemon in battle.

If by ''the best thing'' you mean the most broke item in the history of Pokémon, you're right. That item makes the game easier and more boring than it ever was before.

Octane

CanisWolfred

CaviarMeths wrote:

What did Gen V do differently? I skipped that gen.

It's complicated, but basically the amount of exp changes depending on the difference in level between your pokemon and the opponent. So you could be grinding in one area, getting a lot of exp, but when you level up you'd get almost half the amount of exp you were getting before. Which wouldn't be so bad if your exp requirement stayed the same, but instead it increases just like in the other games. Maybe not as much, but still, it means grinding gets tedious really quick unless you keep finding stronger opponents, which of course is difficult because most of the time the Pokemon in the tall grass are at a lower level than the trainers, but most of the trainers can only be fought once. It means you have to stick with a party and keep moving, which is part of why the game goes by so quick.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

DreamyViridi

Octane wrote:

DiscoDriver43 wrote:

The Exp Share is the best thing in Pokemon X and Y since it allows the other team members to catch up without hurting the pokemon in battle.

If by ''the best thing'' you mean the most broke item in the history of Pokémon, you're right. That item makes the game easier and more boring than it ever was before.

Boring for you maybe, but I'd rather be overleveled than underleveled and be stuck grinding my whole team for hours. That's boring, besides if you want challenge; just turn the thing off. Nothing forces you to use it.

Once a LuigiMan, now a Dreamy representation of the Goddess of Nature.
Retired Palutena Gem Provider.
Mario Maker Levels

Switch Friend Code: SW-6593-3528-8788 | 3DS Friend Code: 0688-5405-0932 | Nintendo Network ID: LuigiMan200

CanisWolfred

Yeah, I turned Exp Share off as quick as I could. I don't mind grinding so long as it doesn't take too long, and I don't mind a challenge either.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

DiscoDriver43

Octane wrote:

DiscoDriver43 wrote:

you know, you don't have to use Exp Share. and besides Making sure my team can catch up while i do my thing >> Having to excessly grind for hours just to make sure my team is at a respectable level. Espically since the only way to rematch anything is through the Battle Chateau

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic