Forums

Topic: Thread of totally awesome Netflix Instant recommendations

Posts 921 to 940 of 1,051

Shy_Guy

Grandma's Boy. Very funny movie. Check it out

Shy_Guy

Nintendo Network ID: Sparty84 | Twitter:

RR529

Watched 009-1: The End of the Beginning, Penguins of Madagascar: the Movie, and I Wish over the past week.

Full thoughts in the Movie Thread.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

RR529

Well, I finished up Spartacus recently.

While it has it's ups and downs, I did really like it a lot.

Season 1 is carried by a lot of back room plotting, betrayal, and secret alliances, as everyone is trying to up their place in the world, while the action is more focused in the arena itself, during the opening & ending of each episode.

Season 2 is a prequel, caused by the unfortunate sickly health of the actor who played Spartacus. It's structured much like the first season (lots of backroom plotting, with arena action opening & closing most episodes), and while they use it to do a lot of world building that pays off in later seasons, this season itself is the weakest of the bunch.

Season 3 sees a new actor take on the lead role after the untimely death of the previous actor, and Seasons 3 & 4 are structered much the same, as the escaped Gladiators are commanding a growing army of escaped slaves, and they engage the armies of Rome in larger and larger skirmishes. I personally liked these last two seasons the most, and I hold them about equal to each other (though I wish the original actor could have continued the role).

While the story & action are quite good, steer clear if you are even moderately offended, as this show has absolutely no shame when it comes to offensive content. "Colorful" language, gore (lots of intestines), and nudity/intercourse of all kinds fly all over the place at a million miles a minute. I can put up with a lot, but at times I was definitely cringing (I won't put down examples, even spoiler tagged, due to some of the extreme nature of some of them).

Now I wait until Fall to be bombarded with new shows. AKA Jessica Jones season 1, Arrow season 3, Flash season 1, and Marco Polo season 2.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

I've started up on America: the Story of Us.

Figured it'll be nice to get something of an informative nature in before the flood of superheroes & swords that'll hit when my fall shows get in.

It's not too long either, so I'm sure I can finish it up before then (barring the scenario that Netflix loses it's license to it in the next few weeks).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Started watching Atelier, & I've found it to be surprisingly entertaining. It's Netflix's first Japanese produced original series, and I decided to try it just to support the idea of Japanese produced original series, and even though the theme didn't seem very interesting, it actually managed to grab my attention.

Also, I watched Jessica Jones a couple months ago, and it was fantastic.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RevolverLink

Yeah, I can confirm that Jessica Jones is really great. Nearly all of the main cast is excellent in it, but David Tennant was so unsettling as the Purple Man that it will be a little weird when I inevitably re-watch his Doctor Who episodes.

Little Witch Academia and its sequel, The Enchanted Parade, are both charming, fun and well-animated short films that I think even non-anime viewers would be able to enjoy.

And if you're a sports fan at all (and an American football fan, in particular), 30 for 30's Four Falls of Buffalo is definitely worth a look. It's very good profile on the great, charismatic Buffalo Bills teams of the early 1990s, a group that, imo, has been rather unfairly maligned since its heyday.

Edited on by RevolverLink

The Revloggery

Switch Friend Code: SW-4605-3581-8608 | 3DS Friend Code: 4339-3392-1142 | Nintendo Network ID: RevolverLink

Haru17

Little Witch Academia (the 30 minute short and the ~1~ hour film) are worth watching. They're as utterly dumb as anything Trigger has made, but they're fun.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Tasuki

I highly highly recommend Fuller House especially if you grew up with Full House in the 90s. Everything that made that show good is there in Fuller House, plus it's interesting to see all the kids from Full House grown up. I have already watched it two times and I am hoping it won't take too long for the second season to Premier.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

DefHalan

So I have been sick for a week already, running out of things to watch. Just re-watched The IT Crowd. Anyone have some suggestions?

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

RR529

Yeah, me & my bro just started watching Fuller House (watched episode 2 last night), and it's like were kids again.

Corny, but in the best way possible.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

LzWinky

I saw a show called Glitter Force. I just had to watch to see how terrible this would have been.

I stopped watching after five minutes, grabbed a few drinks of red wine, and had some of the best laughs I have ever had.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

jump

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is back tomorrow, now do I binge them all over the weekend or do I savour them slowly?

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

RR529

I'm surprised how quiet this thread has been. Netflix has been in top form this year, IMO.

Earlier in the year I watched Atelier, Fuller House, Marco Polo: One Hundred Eyes (half hour special), and season 2 of Marvel's Daredevil.

While there were a few slow months after that, I've recently gotten back in with season 2 of Marco Polo, Good Morning Call (currently watching), and I'm looking forward to trying Hibana: Spark, & Stranger Things (I also tried out Terrace House recently, but it didn't click with me, and I sorta watch Orange is the New Black with the folks).

These should keep me busy until the autumn, when I'll get a glut of shows that'll keep me busy through the rest of the year (Marvel's Luke Cage, Arrow season 4, the Flash season 2, and DC's Legends of Tomorrow season 1). What's more impressive is that other than those 3 CW shows, everything else has been Netflix originals.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Finished up Good Morning Call (Netflix original) tonight!

Live action Japanese show based on a manga. It sees a high school girl and boy move into the same apartment after falling victim to a realty fraud scam, and they have to make do with the situation while trying to hide the arrangement from their friends, families, and school.

It is a romance series, and while it pulls out every cliché in the book (in a very predictable manner), it's so charming in it's presentation that you can't not like it. I really got a kick out of the extended cast, and I'd say I got a good hearty laugh out of it at least once per episode on average. It's 17 episodes long, and while I think the first 10 or so are the best part of the series, the last seven were still really good, with a great ending.

From what I understand, the manga it's based on does have a sequel, so I'd be totally down for them to adapt that as a season 2, if it did/does well enough.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Haru17

Untitled

Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit is a anime that everyone should have watched, but basically no one has watched. It's anachronistic: The setting is feudal Japanese fantasy, but the music reminds me of a 80s Spielberg movie. The animation is beautiful, of course, with gleaming sword fights and peaceful mountain hikes alike. It's 26 episodes with both English and Japanese audio.

RR529

I decided to check out what the hubbub is about and started up Stranger Things (Netflix original).

Just watched one episode tonight, but it was very good. Will be watching the rest of it.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Finished up Stranger Things (Netflix original)!

Absolutely fantastic. A bit spookier than I was expecting (or that I typically watch), but it was still very good (maybe the spookiness was compounded by the fact that I watched it in the dark, right before bed...).

Strangely (he he), everytime I watched more than one episode in a single setting I'd have to manually shut the 360 off, and turn it back on (and go back to Netflix, of course), because the system would ALWAYS freeze up everytime it tried to automatically start the next episode (it does this with no other show).

Even more strange, one morning I woke up, walked by my bro's room on my way to the restroom, and his room's lights immediately came on and shortly after, "Should I Stay, or Should I Go Now!" blared out. Turns out, he happened to be getting up at the same time, & turned on his TV, which just happened to be playing a commercial playing that song at that exact moment, lol (He has neither watched the show himself, or knows I watched it).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Haru17

@RR529 Uh-uh, I didn't sign up for this ghost story nonsense! No thank you!

Octane

@RR529 Stranger Things reminded me of El Laberinto del Fauno in some ways; but in an 80s setting. I also watched Penny Dreadful recently; that's like American Horror Story, but much much better and actually good.

Octane

tux_peng

Check out "Heartland" on Netflix
www.netflix.com/title/70171946?source=android

Check out "Atari: Game Over" on Netflix
www.netflix.com/title/80042198?source=android

not on Netflix, but Tetris from Russia with love

Edited on by tux_peng

tux_peng

3DS Friend Code: 1349-5347-2670 | Nintendo Network ID: Tux-peng | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic