Forums

Topic: Other Unpopular Opinions (non-gaming tech/media)

Posts 281 to 300 of 351

jump

^It's more I'm being told on how characters should be by people whom haven't read the source material, the ones who say they know the characters because they watched a 20 year old cartoon do my head in too. The funny thing is most comic fans are used to different takes on characters from the multiverse, what ifs and elseworlds so as long as it's not a complete butchering the will accept tweaks and changes.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

LadyCharlie

Waluigi wrote:

arronishere wrote:

I've become tired of comic fans who don't actually read comics.

You and me both.

As a gal with a 40+ title a month pull list, I'll third this.

LadyCharlie

Switch Friend Code: SW-1787-3887-5088 | 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6315-2933

LadyCharlie

unpopular opinion for 4/21/16.
I'm far, far more saddened by the death of Joan "Chyna" Laurer, than the death of Prince.

I mean, for me, Chyna was a revelation. she first hit the scene when I was about 12 or 13.
I'd never seen a female professional wrestler before. At the time, in my childhood view, I didn't think women were even allowed to be wrestlers. So I just thought she was the coolest.
And seeing her talk in different interviews on tv and magazines, I never got the sense that she was masculine. I thought she came across as a really big and strong woman. And that was so awesome! She really helped shape my view of femininity.
So while everyone in my office today is talking about Prince's music, I'm over here getting choked up thinking about Chyna.

LadyCharlie

jump

CharlieSmile wrote:

unpopular opinion for 4/21/16.
I'm far, far more saddened by the death of Joan "Chyna" Laurer, than the death of Prince.

I mean, for me, Chyna was a revelation. she first hit the scene when I was about 12 or 13.
I'd never seen a female professional wrestler before. At the time, in my childhood view, I didn't think women were even allowed to be wrestlers. So I just thought she was the coolest.
And seeing her talk in different interviews on tv and magazines, I never got the sense that she was masculine. I thought she came across as a really big and strong woman. And that was so awesome! She really helped shape my view of femininity.
So while everyone in my office today is talking about Prince's music, I'm over here getting choked up thinking about Chyna.

Yeah Chyna was legitimately breaking and pushing boundaries to the point her achievements haven't been matched in wrestling still and only a few like Ronda Rousy can be adored for her femininity whilst respecting her strength.

On a some what related note I find it strange that women are thought to lose weight and keep in shape through dieting whilst men have to exercise and workout when the reality is men can lose weight through dieting more effectivly due to having more muscle whilst women really should be exercising to lose weight as dieting is more of a slog.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

LadyCharlie

You're talking to the wrong lady about weight loss, the concept is foreign to me

LadyCharlie

Socar

My unpopular opinion

I hate Facebook. I'm forced to use it, when I use it, whatever I spill can be extremely risky and overall its only useful to those who simply want cheap communication.

Twitter on the other hand should be the one to go after. Limits on how many words to send, messages constantly getting lower and you can even kick out the followers that you don't want them to follow you.

But facebook? No. You can't do that at all can you?

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

jump

^No one is forcing you to use Facebook and you can delete friends on it just like twitter.

Nicolai wrote:

DefHalan

@Socar: You can make your profile private and remove friends. I removed my Step Mom because of all the political stuff she posted.

Also, no one is forcing you to use Social Media.

Personally, I find Twitter to be a lot worst than Facebook.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Socar

@arronishere: @DefHalan: Well for my profession, I kinda need it because I have to use social media inorder to get the games I've worked on get known.

DefHalan

@Socar: You could hire someone to take care of that for you.

jump

Socar wrote:

Well for my profession, I kinda need it because I have to use social media inorder to get the games I've worked on get known.

If it's not another thing you've made up you're a game developer for a company, you job isn't to market games as fhey will have people and plans for that, they can't force you to be on facebook.

Nicolai wrote:

Tyranexx

To be fair, instead of removing someone, you could just block seeing their posts if you run the risk of offending them by removing them completely.

I hate Facebook, and the only reason I have one is to keep in touch with faraway relatives and friends. It's also the only way to message my mother if she's home since her phone doesn't easily get reception where my parents live.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Socar

@arronishere: For your information, I'm a junior game designer and the company I'm working with has just recently started with a low staff. Seeing as how this is my first job, I am currently putting up with whatever I have to do that is making tea for everyone, using facebook to alert everyone about our games and searching for the reviewers who will review our games for a good price.

When it comes to it, I do get the chance to make games but not very often. I can only hope that what I'm going through will pay off in the long run.

So yeah, I hate Facebook simply because its too overwhelming that it constantly bugs me everytime I open the browser and its just not really worth it in the end.

jump

Why are you paying people to review your games?

Nicolai wrote:

DefHalan

@Socar: So is it your job to use Facebook? Are you public relations for the company? If not then tell them to get someone else to do it because they will probably use it better than someone that hates it, no offense.

Socar

@DefHalan: But they don't want to do that because it costs a lot of money and they just want to do things as cheap as possible. And when I did try asking them for that, they make excuses that as game designers, you're suppose to do this kind of thing because it helps you to understand your audience better.

Heck, getting basic art resources for the artists is such a huge problem as well that its not even that expensive.

And besides, if I find someone else, My salary will probably get lower than it is now so again, I'm forced to use it. Not every game designer gets to start his career like the other designers out there.

DefHalan

@Socar: It isn't your job. That simple. You aren't their PR guy and you aren't being paid for it, you are getting paid for Game Design. If you aren't PR then they can't make you do that. Worst case, find a new job. One that will respect you.

Socar

@DefHalan: But I can't for two reasons.

1. I need atleast 5 years of experience inorder to do so.

2. Finding another in my place alone is damn sparse so I don't have a choice.

Either way, at this point, its very risky to do right now so I just can't afford to risk at this point but so far, I'm fine with it just as long as its not worsening the situation.

The role of gaming ain't that big in my area as companies constantly shut down constantly so it really won't do much for me in the long run. All I can do right now is just get this experience as much as possible and just settle in US to get better opportunities.

@arronishere: Well basically, I work for a mobile game developer and right now we don't have a marketing team so we're forced to use agencies or get paid reviewers inorder for our games to get reviewed.

DefHalan

@Socar:

1. Those 5 years of experience post are normally lies. They use those to keep people without skills away.
2. If you hate your job so much, then get another, maybe in a different field/industry.

I hate my job and so I have been applying to both Game Industry jobs and jobs outside the industry. I am not desperate enough to go to fast food yet, but I also don't hate my job enough to complain about it almost daily online to complete strangers.

There are jobs outside of the gaming industry, and if you have the skills to do the position well, it doesn't matter how many years of experience you have.

jump

Paying people for reviews sounds unethical to me and waste of resources.

Nicolai wrote:

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.