Forums

Topic: GamesRadar 2010 Console Predictions..... What Do You Guys/Gals Think?

Posts 21 to 31 of 31

Stuffgamer1

I guess that gives me the definion of "support" in this context, actually: Enjoying a company's product enough to want to share that with others who may not know the value. Like it or not, the enthusastic ramblings of gamers who are happy with their systems DO have a part to play in the success or failure of the machine, especially when it comes to a group of friends who have a greater interest in each other's opinions or to people who don't know much either way about it.

I guess you could liken it to evangelism (not to sound sacriligous or upset people with the analagy); You like and believe in something SO much, you want to share it with everybody else! I hope that makes sense, 'cause I'm really not sure how much more I can say on the matter.

My Backloggery Updated sporadically. Got my important online ID's on there, anyway. :P

Nintendo Network ID: Stuffgamer1

shingi_70

360/wii like others said.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

Trin

Stuffgamer1 wrote:

@Trin: You tell me. You used the word "support" first.

Well, yes, but only to say there isn't really any way you can 'support' a console. You said 'There are logical reasons for every bit of support I make for a game company' - I still have no idea what these reasons are.

Okay, so there's something to be said for reviews, but there is ALSO something to be said for enthusiastic opinion. This is no truer than when you're talking to customers who know next to nothing about video games in general.

See, this is my point - enthusiastic opinion isn't what is needed, informed opinion is needed. So I can see the point of knowing a lot about your console, but I still can't see why supporting it makes any difference. Is there even a difference?

Explain to me the difference between knowing a lot about a console, and supporting it?

Like it or not, the enthusastic ramblings of gamers who are happy with their systems DO have a part to play in the success or failure of the machine

Well, only if people think that listening to 'enthusiastic ramblings' is more important that reading reviews of the system, and seeing what games are on that system, and if these games are the ones you want to play. I still get the same conclusion - the games matter, not much else.

You can be enthusiastic as you like about Superman 64, one review of it and you have all you need to know.

You like and believe in something SO much, you want to share it with everybody else! I hope that makes sense, 'cause I'm really not sure how much more I can say on the matter.

It makes perfect sense, but it's hardly support for a certain system - you are just passing on the facts as you see them, be it Nintendo, Microsoft, or Sony. Being informed I can see the point of, supporting a system beyond this, I can't.

I think we are probably of the same opinion really, and just using different terms to talk about it. You are obviously an intelligent person, and not the sort of 'fan boy' you would usually associate with blind support of a system.

Edited on by Trin

Trin

Stuffgamer1

Based on this:

Trin wrote:

It makes perfect sense, but it's hardly support for a certain system - you are just passing on the facts as you see them, be it Nintendo, Microsoft, or Sony.

I would say we ARE on the same page, but not understanding each other's terminology. I am most certainly not a stereotypical fanboy, as much some some people would like to paint me so simply because I still love Nintendo. Perhaps the real point is convincing people to even LOOK at something. Sometimes, a person won't even look into a game or console without reccommendations from somebody, be it a friend or just the guy at the store.

I ALMOST got a serious anti-Wii guy to get one by talking it up at GameStop once. Even got him to try out Punch-Out!!, which we were running on the in-store Wii station at the time. He decided against it in the end, but without my support (there's that word again), he wouldn't have even considered it seriously. I've had success with similar situations as well.

My Backloggery Updated sporadically. Got my important online ID's on there, anyway. :P

Trin

He will buy the system if it has games he wants to play, he wont if it does not.

Games > support.

I also love Nintendo, by the way, but entirely because, over the last 20 years or so, a large proportion of the games I want to play have been Nintendo games.

Trin

Pj1

I know this doesn't have anything to do with it but I've been thinking if I was Nintendo I would love to re-release old games consoles as Limited Editions. I just can't think of which ones I'd bring back, I really Love the days when people either had a Mega drive or a SNES, I just love that feeling seeing all the different in game packs. Sega did the Mega collection series to putting Sonic 2 in the same box, whilst Nintendo did Super Mario all Stars, Street Fighter 2 turbo, Star Wing or buy a SNES without a game for at the time around £90.00!! If there's a way to bring back the classic systems it would be going back in time but wait we have the VC for that. But I'd Love to know if anyone would Love to go to their local games retailer and buy a brand new SNES or N64.... Can't figure out how to do a forum or post... Sorry....

Love to hear your views.

Edited on by Pj1

Pj1

Stuffgamer1

@Trin: That was my point. He was so against the idea of the Wii's motion controls that he hadn't even looked at what games were available before! As game consoles get more and more complicated, people are actually starting to look at other features BEFORE games. You then wind up having to prove to them that there are games worth having on the "crappy-looking" console before they'll even CONSIDER it! This is certainly no more true than when you want a 360/PS3 gamer to give the non-HD, waggle-control Wii a chance.

Edited on by Stuffgamer1

Trin

Stuffgamer1 wrote:

As game consoles get more and more complicated, people are actually starting to look at other features BEFORE games.

As well as games, maybe, but before games? That wouldn't be a very smart thing to do - unless in very specific circumstances, like buying a PS3 for a cheap BluRay player.

Trin

The_Fox

Trin wrote:

Stuffgamer1 wrote:

As game consoles get more and more complicated, people are actually starting to look at other features BEFORE games.

As well as games, maybe, but before games? That wouldn't be a very smart thing to do - unless in very specific circumstances, like buying a PS3 for a cheap BluRay player.

That still wouldn't be that smart, as the PS3 isn't that great of a Blu Ray player.

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

Trin

I wouldn't know. I've heard of peeps who have done that though.

Trin

Stuffgamer1

What? The PS3 is a GREAT Blu-Ray player! I have no idea what The Fox is on about with that one.

Anyway, yes, people DO look at other features BEFORE games sometimes. I agree it's dumb, but that's what they do.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.