Forums

Topic: "... female explorer Brittany."

Posts 41 to 57 of 57

mamp

AlexSays wrote:

Let developers do what they want. We don't need a quota.

Besides, certain games can't realistically have both options. Especially games with a ton of voice acting from the main character. Imagine The Last of Us being remade with a female replacing Joel, would have been an unnecessary waste of time. Same goes for Bioshock Infinite (ironically same guy lol) in that having a female option would have changed the game and required a lot more effort.

Ask for more female protagonists, that's fine. I like looking at women, video games or not. But asking every developer to have that option is unrealistic.

I agree that not all games can provide the female character option. I just don't understand why they have not had a female option with The Legend of Zelda. I'll probably get grilled for talking **** about Link but he's basically a pointless avatar. He doesn't speak, he doesn't really have a personality and well compared to some of those games where you get to create your own character (like DQ 9 for example) he doesn't act that much different from those types of avatars (and some avatars in certain games actually talk, which Link doesn't). It's like you can just put anybody in there and they'll be able to play his role just fine (which is nodding, smiling, or making an angry face when the bad guy talks, he doesn't even hold items when you take them from a treasure chest he just stands there while it floats between his hands). I believe The Zelda series is one of those games where you could choose your own gender and even customize your own character since really the only thing that truly makes the hero of time stand out are his green clothes (which any avatar could wear). I guess Nintendo just really likes the Damsel getting rescued by the great hero story or they just really like Link.

Edited on by mamp

The cat's the only cat who knows where it's at.
NNID: Muffin-Gun

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6586-7657

AlexSays

I'd be fine with a female option for Zelda games, like you said it's not like Link being male makes any impact because he's so lifeless. I just think Nintendo doesn't like people having options. They like people playing their games how they want. How many years did it take to convince them people want to play online? lol (and they're still not full believers)

This is probably for another thread, but they're intentionally obstinate about every aspect of their games. Online play, achievements, region locking, game content, multimedia functions, user videos, social connectivity.. everything has to be limited because they believe it's somehow better for us.

I'll thank the lord when they finally let us tie digital content to an online identity, like others have nearly a decade ago. Asking for a female option in Zelda games? Good luck waiting for that one. =P

Edited on by AlexSays

AlexSays

Eel

There have been two zelda games that provided "the female option". They specifically mention that you're not Link, but some other random magic warrior.

No, they never left Japan.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

RudysaurusRex

theblackdragon wrote:

@moomoo: "Now, there's obviously room for error, but considering that most people just choose the gender according to their own, that's kind of telling."
Sorry, but I call BS on that one. Given the option, we as gamers have a new freedom to choose which gender we'd like to play. We are under no obligation to choose our own gender whatsoever, male or female, but we are made richer as a userbase just by having it there, and with the option being there with more regularity, perhaps we'll see in the future that sort of percentage also become narrower.

I see your point, but I, and most of the people I know choose their own gender if given a choice. Being a dude, I usually choose the dude option. If I'm up to it, I choose female 2nd time through. But a lot of games I only play once. While I realize there is freedom to choose gender, most people, the ones I know, choose their own.

SPREAD THE JOY OF THE GREAT TURTLE
HE IS UPON US AND WILL TAKE US TO THE GREAT WAVE
JOIN THE COURT OF TURTLES AND BE REDEEMED
THE COURT OF TURTLES

3DS Friend Code: 0061-3403-4305 | Nintendo Network ID: AlexTheGrayt | Twitter:

RudysaurusRex

Morphtorok wrote:

There have been two zelda games that provided "the female option". They specifically mention that you're not Link, but some other random magic warrior.

Which games would these happen to be? I'd like to take a look at them. FOR SCIENCE!

SPREAD THE JOY OF THE GREAT TURTLE
HE IS UPON US AND WILL TAKE US TO THE GREAT WAVE
JOIN THE COURT OF TURTLES AND BE REDEEMED
THE COURT OF TURTLES

3DS Friend Code: 0061-3403-4305 | Nintendo Network ID: AlexTheGrayt | Twitter:

AlexSays

Morphtorok wrote:

So Nintendo only cares about empowering Japenese women.

smh nintendo, smh

AlexSays

Eel

RudyDog wrote:

Morphtorok wrote:

Which games would these happen to be? I'd like to take a look at them. FOR SCIENCE!

Those would be "BS The Legend of Zelda", a remake of the first game, and "BS The Legend of Zelda: Ancient Stone Tablets", a direct sequel to A Link to the Past.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Tasartir

If there was an option for a female Link in LoZ, I would totally go for her! Girl hero in green tunic would look lovely-sweety-awesome-y;)

Edited on by theblackdragon

Tasartir

Jaz007

mamp wrote:

AlexSays wrote:

Let developers do what they want. We don't need a quota.

Besides, certain games can't realistically have both options. Especially games with a ton of voice acting from the main character. Imagine The Last of Us being remade with a female replacing Joel, would have been an unnecessary waste of time. Same goes for Bioshock Infinite (ironically same guy lol) in that having a female option would have changed the game and required a lot more effort.

Ask for more female protagonists, that's fine. I like looking at women, video games or not. But asking every developer to have that option is unrealistic.

I agree that not all games can provide the female character option. I just don't understand why they have not had a female option with The Legend of Zelda. I'll probably get grilled for talking **** about Link but he's basically a pointless avatar. He doesn't speak, he doesn't really have a personality and well compared to some of those games where you get to create your own character (like DQ 9 for example) he doesn't act that much different from those types of avatars (and some avatars in certain games actually talk, which Link doesn't). It's like you can just put anybody in there and they'll be able to play his role just fine (which is nodding, smiling, or making an angry face when the bad guy talks, he doesn't even hold items when you take them from a treasure chest he just stands there while it floats between his hands). I believe The Zelda series is one of those games where you could choose your own gender and even customize your own character since really the only thing that truly makes the hero of time stand out are his green clothes (which any avatar could wear). I guess Nintendo just really likes the Damsel getting rescued by the great hero story or they just really like Link.

Skyward Sword's story and a side story in it specifically required him to be male.

Jaz007

World

@Jaz007 I would disagree with that. I'm a girl and I have the (common?) habit of imagining that Link is me, because he's a cipher and androgynous-looking anyway, and the only parts that dissuaded me from that in Skyward Sword were, like any Zelda game, the parts where someone says "young man" or "young boy." I don't recall anything else that made me feel alienated in that way.

To the original post, I think they shouldn't have to mention something like this, but I think it's a positive that they included a female character who wasn't thrown in for sex appeal.

World

Jaz007

World wrote:

@Jaz007 I would disagree with that. I'm a girl and I have the (common?) habit of imagining that Link is me, because he's a cipher and androgynous-looking anyway, and the only parts that dissuaded me from that in Skyward Sword were, like any Zelda game, the parts where someone says "young man" or "young boy." I don't recall anything else that made me feel alienated in that way.

To the original post, I think they shouldn't have to mention something like this, but I think it's a positive that they included a female character who wasn't thrown in for sex appeal.

You didn't even touch on the plot points I was talking about. How do you fit in the romance with Zelda and the clerk girl's big crush on Link if he's a girl?

Edited on by Jaz007

Jaz007

kkslider5552000

Jaz007 wrote:

World wrote:

You didn't even touch on the plot points I was talking about. How do you fit in the romance with Zelda and the clerk girls big crush on Link if he's a girl?

the answer to this is too obvious to even mention

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

World

@Jaz007 At the risk of derailing the thread, I guess I just thought that those things depend on them being interested in Link...not necessarily that Link is male. I guess I just rolled with it and didn't really think that deeply about it.

World

Captain_Toad

Say whaaaaaaaa?

Was Mariobro4. No, I'm not taking off my backpack...it's important.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1530-1570-5053 | 3DS Friend Code: 3566-2311-3009 | Nintendo Network ID: Mariobro4

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.