Forums

Topic: Do you say "Merry Christmas" or Happy Holidays"?

Posts 21 to 40 of 46

TheLZdragon

theblackdragon wrote:

I am going to get you so many lizards, lz!
come on, someone's got to be getting these references D:

Futurama, duh!

Nintendo Life Community Administrator

Splatoon 2 Rank: Splat S+, Rain S, Tower S

My Eeveeloggery

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | 3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Starkiller

Cause Santa Claus is gunniiiiiiing you doooooown!
Don't remember the rest, that was my favourite part.

Wii: 6384-4454-1095-5243 Mario Kart Wii: 2492-4524-4329 ([NL] Matt) Brawl: 0087-2097-5918
Excitebike - World Rally: 2966 0011 1622 (Matt) Bomberman Blitz: 3738-9648-1518 Dragon Quest Wars: 1634-4322-3201

Avatar_Zak

Merry Christmas. I hate them political corrects.

"Batman does not eat nachos!"

RandomWiiPlayer

Avatar+Zak wrote:

Merry Christmas. I hate them political corrects.

The Game.

Is it after 9PM EST? You should probably ignore the above post.

TheLZdragon

theblackdragon wrote:

geez, lz, you had me worried.
yaaaaaaaaay, small text :3

if you can read this, then you are about to be hit in the head

Happy LZ-is-awesome day!! Date: Everyday

Nintendo Life Community Administrator

Splatoon 2 Rank: Splat S+, Rain S, Tower S

My Eeveeloggery

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | 3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

The_Fox

Happy Holidays. It's more inclusive. This way I'm covered for all of the holidays in one neat expression.

By the way, the backlash against people saying Happy Holidays is one of the most idiotic things ever. Sticks belong on the ground, not up peoples asses.

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

Machu

Happy Christmas, one and all.

This... is for you... Untitled

Rawr!

Ravage

Merry christmas for me. On another note, it wasn't until a few years ago I found out that christmas is a "religious holiday" and was apparently the day Jesus was born...
To me it was always Santa's Big Day...

Edited on by Ravage

Sean Aaron ~ "The secret is out: I'm really an American cat-girl."
Q: How many physicists does it take to change a light bulb?
A: Two, one to hold the light bulb, the other to rotate the universe.

Stuffgamer1

Well, we went longer than I'd expected before hearing the opinion stated by The Fox...

From a Christian perspective, the problem with "Happy Holidays" is obvious. I do not know what reasons anyone else might have to find the term distasteful, other than pointing out that Christmas is the only officially recognized holiday in America.

Anyway, I honestly do NOT want to start an argument over this (even though I suppose it may be inevitable given the topic at hand). All I ask is that you be considerate of our point of view instead of being so rude.

@Ravage: There was a time when you didn't know that? The commercialism of Christmas has progressed even worse than I'd thought...
Anyway, Christmas is not LITERALLY the day Jesus was born. Historical research suggests He was more likely born in the Spring. Early Christians celebrated in the Winter because the people they lived among held Pagan Winter festivals at the same time and required everyone to party (so as to persecute Christians who refused).

Edited on by Stuffgamer1

My Backloggery Updated sporadically. Got my important online ID's on there, anyway. :P

Nintendo Network ID: Stuffgamer1

Machu

@Ravage: Apparently so, crazy huh?! Untitled I thought it was all about presents. Doh... silly me.

Rawr!

KanrakusPizza

I say Merry Christmas, but sometimes I say Happy Holidays too. I guess its both for me.

wont be on here anymore

Ravage

It goes: Have a merry christmas, and a happy new year.
EDIT: @Machu: Yeah I know! I was ...what does Jesus have to do with christmas... Oh, that's why it's called christmas!

Edited on by Ravage

Sean Aaron ~ "The secret is out: I'm really an American cat-girl."
Q: How many physicists does it take to change a light bulb?
A: Two, one to hold the light bulb, the other to rotate the universe.

NotEnoughGolds

Merry Christmas, as it is both a Christian and a secular holiday.
If someone of some other religion is offended by that, then whatever. They don't really need to be offended by a secular holiday, right? Might as well get offended by someone saying "Happy Labor Day!"

Besides, everyone gets Christmas off. And even if you don't celebrate Christmas, having the day off of work or school is certainly going to be a "Merry" occasion anyway, right?

NotEnoughGolds

Stuffgamer1

Labor Day, Schmabor Day. What a dumb day. To hire some jerk, then send him away, to celebrate work by playing all day. ~Jim Davis, via Garfield

Sorry, NotEnoughGolds. I couldn't resist 'cause I love that poem.

Anyway, I suppose I must agree that there's no reason to be offended by "Merrry Christmas" in part because it's been so secularized. I honestly didn't know (though I may have suspected) that there were people who didn't even realize it had religious roots, though. This fact saddens me.

My Backloggery Updated sporadically. Got my important online ID's on there, anyway. :P

Nintendo Network ID: Stuffgamer1

The_Fox

Stuffgamer1 wrote:

Well, we went longer than I'd expected before hearing the opinion stated by The Fox...

I like to leave people waiting. It builds the suspense.

Stuffgamer1 wrote:

From a Christian perspective, the problem with "Happy Holidays" is obvious. I do not know what reasons anyone else might have to find the term distasteful, other than pointing out that Christmas is the only officially recognized holiday in America.

Anyway, I honestly do NOT want to start an argument over this (even though I suppose it may be inevitable given the topic at hand). All I ask is that you be considerate of our point of view instead of being so rude.

You found that rude? Huh, someone takes things too seriously.

And as for you telling me to be considerate of the point of view, it seems irrelevant as I'm not excluding them. By saying Happy Holidays I can easily be including Christmas into there as well as holiday well-wishes for non-Christians. I think Jesus would be O.K with people not directly acknowledging it's his birthday in day to day pleasantries. He had bigger concerns, didn't he?

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

Stuffgamer1

Well, implying we have sticks up our butts IS rude, no matter how you look at it.

It just seems to me that "Happy Holidays" is a bit TOO inclusive, so as to suggest "I have no idea who you are, and instead of using the official Government-endorsed holiday, I'll just be non-specific and hope you're happy with that." Especially since it includes at least one holiday that was invented out of nowhere for no good reason.

My Backloggery Updated sporadically. Got my important online ID's on there, anyway. :P

Nintendo Network ID: Stuffgamer1

Machu

Awesome!!

Rawr!

Top

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic