Forums

Topic: Could it actually be our fault that Mario games lately are so "safe"?

Posts 101 to 107 of 107

AaronB

I'm enjoying NSMBU a lot - I think 1 2D platformer per system is not excessive, though I think if they release another "safe" 2D sequel in the next few years, that would be really overdone. It made a lot of sense as a launch title. Release the 2D now to help sell consoles, and hopefully an ambitious 3D Mario Universe in about 2 years. Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Paper Mario, Mario Sports, and so on kind of add to the feeling of overload, but they are all very different.

Bear in mind that many people don't have all the consoles. I, for example, haven't gotten a handheld since the GBA. People who get all the consoles and every Mario game may feel like there've been too many, but not everyone fits into that category.

AaronB

e-love

I for one, have loved every "black sheep" Mario game released. Luigi's Mansion, Super Mario Sunshine, etc.

Honestly, I don't think Nintendo looks too far into the reviews of games in comparison to how they look at the sales of the games. Do we really think Nintendo will like check Metacritic and be like "oh darn, we did something wrong" not likely. Nintendo always does their own thing regardless of critical reception. Since they are in fact a business on the other hand, they do pay attention to how certain games sell. It's obvious to Nintendo, that the New Super Mario Bros. games sell really well. So they invest in that mini-series. I don't think Nintendo will stop making certain games because of it not selling as well, however. Look at Fire Emblem: Awakening, can we really bet that game is going to smash sales records? Of course not, its a much less known Nintendo series.

Another thing, I don't think New Super Mario Bros. U plays it safe in the slightest. Its one of my most enjoyable Mario experiences in recent memory.

✰ not around as much as I used to be ✰

kkslider5552000

SheldonRandoms wrote:

How about a Mario game that plays like the Galaxy games in the overworlds, but the batting is an RPG like the Paper Mario/Mario and Luigi RPG games, would this please people?

Assuming the overworlds play more like platforming levels in some regard, this sounds like an awesome idea that needs to happen now.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

GamecubeMan

WingedFish wrote:

Think about it, when the likes of Luigi's Mansion and Super Mario Sunshine came out, almost everyone pitched a fit about how they didn't like how things were different.

But now, those two titles have earned more respect because of the NSMB series :3
The only two titles recent Mario titles that I feel have "played it safe" is definitely NSMB2, and 3D Land.

GCN 3.9
Gamecubeloggery
Forget the Nintendo seal of approval
My

3DS Friend Code: 1934-1104-3407 | Twitter:

Electricmastro

WingedFish wrote:

Think about it, when the likes of Luigi's Mansion and Super Mario Sunshine came out, almost everyone pitched a fit about how they didn't like how things were different.

That reminds me of something some Zelda fans did.

When Wind Waker comes out: "Give us something like Ocarina of Time!"

When Twilight Princess comes out: "Give us something different!"

Backloggery. Now playing: 3D Dot Game Heroes, Donkey Kong, EarthBound Beginnings, Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams, and Pac-Man Championship Edition DX+.

3DS Friend Code: 0216-1196-2417 | Nintendo Network ID: Electricmastro

rayword45

SheldonRandoms wrote:

How about a Mario game that plays like the Galaxy games in the overworlds, but the batting is an RPG like the Paper Mario/Mario and Luigi RPG games, would this please people?

If we want a real "unsafe" game, then we could ditch the system of levels and just add save spots while making it a platformer still.

This is a signature.
Link goes here now.
Screw you.

Gamesake

I don't see how it could be our fault. It's not like we're buying their games. Wait--you guys aren't buying their games are you?

...in my pants.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.