General Discussion Forum

Topic: Could it actually be our fault that Mario games lately are so "safe"?

Showing 1 to 20 of 108

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WingedSnagret

1. Posted:

And by our, I mean all Nintendo gamers. Think about it, when the likes of Luigi's Mansion and Super Mario Sunshine came out, almost everyone pitched a fit about how they didn't like how things were different. And now look, all the Mario games (i.e the NSMB series) recently are rather generic, in other words safe so that people will buy them. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I can't help but sense that we, the fans, might have had something to do with the unoriginality with Mario lately.

Edited on by WingedSnagret

Biggest Pikmin fan on NL!

Avian fact of the week: The Moa, an extinct relative of ostrichs and emus that inhabited New Zealand, was the tallest bird that ever lived at 12 ft tall (3.6 m). It was also the only known bird to have no wing structure.

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5821-0404 | Nintendo Network ID: WingedFish64

AuthorMessage
Avatar

ReindeerDasher

2. Posted:

I get that idea too. Nintendo has to make what they think fans will like, and if it's same old, same old, then yes, it's our fault, at least partly.

8 Bit Forward
My Bio, by True_Hero, and another by Dark-Luigi. Oh, and a Kid Icarus one, too, created by Cyb3rnite.
deviantART Profile

Pit - "Uh, what's a KO?"
Palutena - "Good luck, Pit."

3DS Friend Code: 2578-3165-4977 | Nintendo Network ID: NintenDash | Twitter: KiDasharus

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Hokori

3. Posted:

Exactly, if you want more creative stuff Nintendo haters: buy Chibi Robo, EBA/Ouendan, Harmo Knight, Denpa Men, Crashmo, Luigis Mansio DM, Pikmin 3, FE Awakening, Theatrythm FF (on 3DS), RER, Pokemon Conquest, Hotle Dusk, 999/ Zero Escape, heck even remakes of games like MGs3

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
Welcome to my emassary of doom >: }

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Reala

4. Posted:

I'm not sure I mean just as many people complain about it when things look too samey too, don't think Nintendo is quite as swayed by popular opinion as some which isn't necessarily a bad thing, you can't please all people all the time after all.

Reala

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Happy_Mask

5. Posted:

Me and Emaan will tell you LM is a brilliant, masterful game, and we loved the originality. But yes, it is the majority of the fanbase's fault, and the odds are that it won't change any time too, particularly because mr.miyamoto's latest ideas in PM:SS were met with disappointment (again, the majority of the fanbase) that the game wasn't Thousand Year Door 2.

[16:08] LordJumpMad Hides his gut with a griddle
[16:08] Reala: what ljm does for cash is ljm's business
[16:08] LordJumpMad: Gotta look good my my next game u_u

AuthorMessage
Avatar

pntjr

6. Posted:

I think that a new Mario shouldn't be announced at this year's E3. I think this E3 should be spend on other titles, I've grown quite tired of ANOTHER MARIO game EVERY SINGLE YEAR. I know Mario sells systems, but I think Nintendo is abusing this power. We saw two NSMBs this year, last year we saw Super Mario 3D Land (And Mario Kart) and in 2010 we saw SMG2 (just why nintendo?) and the year before that we saw NSMBW. Overall I think itis fun to see Mario but I don't want him featured in this year's E3.

3DS: 4596-9579-9606
The BackLoggery of Zelda!
Wii: 5236-6857-3124-9818
PSN: pntjr

3DS Friend Code: 4596-9579-9606 | Nintendo Network ID: pntjrx | Twitter: pntjrx

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Chrono_Cross

7. Posted:

Hokori wrote:

heck even remakes of games like MGs3

Remakes aren't exactly creative.

It's not our fault that Mario sells millions just because his name's on it. People will buy the next seven Mario games just out of curiosity if they're somewhat unsure of its quality and the fact the name Nintendo and the name Mario share the same space on a game case.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

AuthorMessage
Avatar

moomoo

8. Posted:

The reason why is because of the millions of people who play video games but don't go to websites to read news/discuss them. NSMBW sold way more copies than both Galaxy games despite the fact that the vast majority of people on gaming websites prefer Galaxy over the sidescrollers.

Best thread ever
Feel free to add me on Miiverse or PSN.
Miiverse is Moomoo14, PSN is Moomoo1405390

3DS Friend Code: 4940-5561-6002 | Nintendo Network ID: Moomoo14

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WingedSnagret

9. Posted:

@Happy_Mask I'm sure it is (I haven't play it or Sunshine yet though, maybe if they come out as Wii U VC).

@pntjr I can agree with you, but I'd still like to see at least the inevitable Wii U Mario Kart. But yes, it's time for Mario NOT to take all the limelight this year.

Biggest Pikmin fan on NL!

Avian fact of the week: The Moa, an extinct relative of ostrichs and emus that inhabited New Zealand, was the tallest bird that ever lived at 12 ft tall (3.6 m). It was also the only known bird to have no wing structure.

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5821-0404 | Nintendo Network ID: WingedFish64

AuthorMessage
Avatar

ianmage1

10. Posted:

pntjr wrote:

I think that a new Mario shouldn't be announced at this year's E3. I think this E3 should be spend on other titles, I've grown quite tired of ANOTHER MARIO game EVERY SINGLE YEAR. I know Mario sells systems, but I think Nintendo is abusing this power. We saw two NSMBs this year, last year we saw Super Mario 3D Land (And Mario Kart) and in 2010 we saw SMG2 (just why nintendo?) and the year before that we saw NSMBW. Overall I think itis fun to see Mario but I don't want him featured in this year's E3.

I think Mario & Luigi: RPG 4 should be announced at this year's E3. That is a game series that has been changed in every entry, yet it has never disappointed me. This is what we need, folks.

3DS friend code: 1160-9727-7802
Wii U ID: ianmage1
I'm working on an animated feature film called "WhiteLand." Check out my progress: http://www.youtube.com/user/ianmage1

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Mickey

11. Posted:

for the record, I don't hate Super Mario Sunshine because it's "different", I hate it because the Voice acting SUCKED, F.L.U.D.D. controls are always either too restrictive or too loose and Mario just doesn't control right (which is especially apparent in the bonus levels where F.L.U.D.D. is gone)

pntjr wrote:

I think that a new Mario shouldn't be announced at this year's E3. I think this E3 should be spend on other titles, I've grown quite tired of ANOTHER MARIO game EVERY SINGLE YEAR. I know Mario sells systems, but I think Nintendo is abusing this power. We saw two NSMBs this year, last year we saw Super Mario 3D Land (And Mario Kart) and in 2010 we saw SMG2 (just why nintendo?) and the year before that we saw NSMBW. Overall I think it is fun to see Mario but I don't want him featured in this year's E3.

1. Only one for each console what's so wrong about that?

2. Super Mario Galaxy 2 was an improvement over it's predecessor in almost all accounts, I don't see how that could be seen as a "(just why nintendo?)"

Formerly MickeyTheGreat and MickMick. Now I'm Mickey again!

The Mousekeloggery

Galaxy Bio (by Dark-Luigi!)

If we've gotten into an argument, it's okay. I'm probably not holding a grudge against you. Why? Because I like you!

Whoomp! There it is! -God, when he created the universe.

Nintendo Network ID: MickeyTheGreat | Twitter: TheMercuryMouse

AuthorMessage
Avatar

KAHN

12. Posted:

Happy_Mask wrote:

Me and Emaan will tell you LM is a brilliant, masterful game, and we loved the originality.

hey hey, HEY! don't leave me out of that mix D:

KAHN

3DS Friend Code: 1032-1301-2772 | Nintendo Network ID: Milkman12

AuthorMessage
Avatar

rayword45

13. Posted:

Yes, yes and yes. Mass appeal is another factor. Every time something is done differently, people bitch about it to no end. With a safe sequel, at least they know what they're getting into. Look at Metroid: Other M. "ZOMG LESS EXPLORATION!? 1/10" Look at Paper Mario: Sticker Star "ZOMG THE BATTLING IS DIFFERENT! 1/10"

Any game that REALLY took it different was subject to complaints. It's unfortunate really.

This is a signature.
Link goes here now.
Screw you.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MrWalkieTalkie

14. Posted:

People: Super Mario Sunshine? WTF!? 3D Exploration again? What happened to old Mario games like SMB3 or SMW, we want old-school Mario!
Nintendo: The people want old-school Mario? Lets give it to them!
(Releases the NEW Super Mario Bros. game series)
People: WTF!? 2D Platforming? Why would you de-evolve Mario games, Nintendo? We don't want linear platforming, we want 3D Open World exploration!

Personally I love any Main series Mario game 2D, 3D or both like 3D Land! I never understood why people just complain about any change in Mario games, its inevitable! To me, when its a Main Series Mario games, whether it be New Super Mario Bros, or Super Mario Galaxy, or whatever comes next on Wii U, I know I'm gonna have a good time! :D

Edited on by MrWalkieTalkie

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/Mr.WalkieTalkie
Nintendo Network ID: Mr.WalkieTalkie
3DS Friend Code: 4382-2073-7299

Chibi-Robo and Excitebiker for Smash!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WildMan

15. Posted:

All I can say is, haters gonna hate. It's impossible to please everyone..

Mmm Chicken

3DS Friend Code: 1075-1253-2852

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

16. Posted:

The answer is yes. I mean, I'll give Nintendo credit for at least limiting it to one system per game instead of an annual release nightmare.

I've really run out of things to say about this. I will say that people should almost always expect more from entertainment and not let a series be completely unchanged year after year. It's unfortunate since I tend to consider Nintendo the masters of staying on a thin line between changing too much and changing too little but if your top selling games take half the money and effort of almost any other game you make, of course you're gonna make it. Can't really blame Nintendo on that.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Geonjaha

17. Posted:

Yes. Who's fault is it exactly? Those who buy the games, who don't like these changes.
When it comes to video games all the income comes from sales - and that's all they care about; selling the game.
Nintendo has no reason to change how they're approaching Mario games while people buy the games anyway.
Don't like something a company is doing? DONT BUY THE GAME, or nothing will change.
Next NSMB game to come out that reuses mechanics, gameplay and graphics? Don't get it, or don't complain.

Edited on by Geonjaha

I make Pixel Art on occasion.

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

18. Posted:

Geonjaha wrote:

Don't like something a company is doing? DONT BUY THE GAME, or nothing will change.

unless it's a 3DS in which case you'll get 20 free games.

That doesn't actually do anything to contradict your point in any way imaginable...

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Hokori

19. Posted:

0LD_SK0OL_PUNK wrote:

Happy_Mask wrote:

Me and Emaan will tell you LM is a brilliant, masterful game, and we loved the originality.

hey hey, HEY! don't leave me out of that mix D:

Me too although I need to buy Liberation Maiden :D
JK I'm looking forward to Dark Moon:P

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
Welcome to my emassary of doom >: }

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Geonjaha

20. Posted:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Geonjaha wrote:

Don't like something a company is doing? DONT BUY THE GAME, or nothing will change.

unless it's a 3DS in which case you'll get 20 free games.

That doesn't actually do anything to contradict your point in any way imaginable...

Alright...so why did you say it? :/

Edited on by Geonjaha

I make Pixel Art on occasion.

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215