3DS eShop Forum

Topic: THE STARSHIP DAMREY

Showing 61 to 72 of 72

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Sneaker13

61. Posted:

Yeah, I've played through it twice and I don't think I will be returning any time soon.

@Karakato, I didn't like that scene at all. It felt completely out of place.

When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth.

Friendcodes:
Wii: 1992-3062-5832-6991 - Mario Kart Wii: 3308-5912-8952 - Dr. Mario & Germ Buster: 8325-7726-3894 -
3DS: 0430 - 8258 - 5287

http://www.backloggery.com/sneaker

AuthorMessage
Avatar

accc

62. Posted:

It's a reference to 2001: A Space Odyssey

accc

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Sneaker13

63. Posted:

I know it's a reference, it just shouldn't be in there given the atmosphere the game has created up to that point.

When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth.

Friendcodes:
Wii: 1992-3062-5832-6991 - Mario Kart Wii: 3308-5912-8952 - Dr. Mario & Germ Buster: 8325-7726-3894 -
3DS: 0430 - 8258 - 5287

http://www.backloggery.com/sneaker

AuthorMessage
Avatar

accc

64. Posted:

Just because the game has a serious tone doesn't mean they're not allowed to break it up with a brief scene which isn't serious. Anything which is completely serious 100% of the time tends to become stuffy and off-putting after a while.

accc

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Sneaker13

65. Posted:

Sure then can break it up. But you have different kinds of humor. The parody scene in here is totally out of place. What isn't is the subtle dry humor from SAM, the AI congierge. She is sometimes very funny. Just like GLaDOS in Portal. A game which also was funny and serious in tone that worked. They should have invested more in her lines instead of this cheap and unnecessary pardody skit.

When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth.

Friendcodes:
Wii: 1992-3062-5832-6991 - Mario Kart Wii: 3308-5912-8952 - Dr. Mario & Germ Buster: 8325-7726-3894 -
3DS: 0430 - 8258 - 5287

http://www.backloggery.com/sneaker

AuthorMessage
AvatarAdmin

theblackdragon

66. Posted:

regarding that scene, it actually confused the hell outta me — i honestly thought i'd screwed up and done the wrong thing on accident for a minute there. it felt very out of place, but it didn't really bother me all that much in the grand scheme of things.

i think something that probably bothered me more was

SPOILER

we don't really get to know those characters much otherwise (outside of what's on their ID cards and what's in the Captain's journal), so Large smiling after being backhanded by the person he's got a crush on, it left me with a sour taste in my mouth about having worked to get all those stupid leeches just to read that. I much rather would have read something nicer happening between the two of them.

I guess I understand what they were trying to do, and i maybe it's just me, but did physical abuse from a superior officer versus an underling really need to be involved? :/

END SPOILERS

Edited on by theblackdragon

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!
[16:44] Vintage: We have rules?
[16:44] Reala: don't expose the staff to sunlight, don't get them wet and don't feed them after midnight

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter: theblackdragon

AuthorMessage
Avatar

accc

67. Posted:

Sneaker13 wrote:

Sure then can break it up. But you have different kinds of humor. The parody scene in here is totally out of place. What isn't is the subtle dry humor from SAM, the AI congierge. She is sometimes very funny. Just like GLaDOS in Portal. A game which also was funny and serious in tone that worked. They should have invested more in her lines instead of this cheap and unnecessary pardody skit.

It was like a 10 second cutscene that had very little relevance in the grand scheme of things. The developers probably just wanted to pay a tribute to one of their favorite movies. You're getting way too worked up over it.

accc

AuthorMessage
Avatar

RR529

68. Posted:

IGN - 5.3/10

They Liked: It has an interesting idea behind it, and during the first half hour, it gives a good first impression (with the first puzzle being the only one of interest in the package).

They Disliked: After the initial half hour, the game looses all sense of spookyness, and what little atmosphere it has, is severely outweighed by the frustration you'll encounter constantly backtracking. Futhermore, they claimed it had shoddy controls & terrible graphics, which seemed to derive from poor development, rather than a nostalgic purpose (which is even more troubling, as the game is overpriced).

Currently Playing:

Quiz RPG: Legend of Mystic Wiz (AND)
Popcork! (AND)
B.B. Bear Danmaku (AND)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Sneaker13

69. Posted:

accc wrote:

Sneaker13 wrote:

Sure then can break it up. But you have different kinds of humor. The parody scene in here is totally out of place. What isn't is the subtle dry humor from SAM, the AI congierge. She is sometimes very funny. Just like GLaDOS in Portal. A game which also was funny and serious in tone that worked. They should have invested more in her lines instead of this cheap and unnecessary pardody skit.

It was like a 10 second cutscene that had very little relevance in the grand scheme of things. The developers probably just wanted to pay a tribute to one of their favorite movies. You're getting way too worked up over it.

There is no indication in my posts that I'm getting too worked up about it, so that's a weird thing to say. I just thought we were discussing certain aspects of the game. It doesn't matter to me if the cutscene was 1 second or 10 second and have little relevance or a lot in the game. It's tone was completely different from the atmosphere they set up in the rest of the game. Tribute or not, I didn't like it for that reason. If you did like it, I don't mind either.

When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth.

Friendcodes:
Wii: 1992-3062-5832-6991 - Mario Kart Wii: 3308-5912-8952 - Dr. Mario & Germ Buster: 8325-7726-3894 -
3DS: 0430 - 8258 - 5287

http://www.backloggery.com/sneaker

AuthorMessage
Avatar

accc

70. Posted:

Well, the fact that you (or the guy who mentioned it in the first place) felt the need to bring it up and complain about it feels like an overreaction to me. I probably would have forgotten about that scene by now, while still remembering the creepy atmosphere set up by the rest of the game, if we weren't busy discussing it.

accc

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Karakato

71. Posted:

I felt that his opinion was valid and that this argument over something petty has long overstayed its welcome. The fact that you're calling out to him also makes you seem like your over reacting in a way, so let's drop it and move on shall we?

Back on topic, I wonder if we'll be seeing a sequel to this in the future. I feel that most of the guild releases weren't meant to be stand alone games but rather a teaser or pilot to a larger series. I mean, Liberation Maiden got a sequel sort of and I would be interested to continue the story since the game ended with alot of loose ends. As long as they can improve the movement and the length of the game, I'd be willing to dive in again.

Fancy a Karrot Cake?
Deviant Art Profile
Tumblr Page
My Backlog

The Rest is Silence.

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

Philip_J_Reed

72. Posted:

Karakato wrote:

I felt that his opinion was valid and that this argument over something petty has long overstayed its welcome. The fact that you're calling out to him also makes you seem like your over reacting in a way, so let's drop it and move on shall we?

NL Forum Moderator / Part-Time Reviewer / One-Track Lover
Noiseless Chatter, my pop culture blog that will change your life
Wii U Account: ChickenBrutus (add me!)
Mega Man No Damage Runs, and more

Twitter: NoNoiseChitChat