Famitsu has shared some details that help to clarify modes and (importantly) how they're accessed. We've summarised a few key points below:
- Boss Rush mode will let you take on bosses in order
- Mirror Mode will unlock after clearing the games, allowing you to tackled mirrored stages
- A 'story mode' will allow you to play the games 'together' with new animations played at key moments
- Online leaderboards are included for the quickest stage clearance times
Original Article (Wed 20th Apr, 2022 14:15 BST]:
It's been no secret that Sonic Origins is close to release, with a PlayStation Store listing revealing all sorts of interesting details within the last 24-hours. Now it's official, and it's arriving on Sonic's 31st birthday — 23rd June; as we already knew it'll include Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, and Sonic CD.
That's on Switch eShop and pretty much every platform, and the trailer above highlights some of the previously revealed details - like 'Classic' and 'Anniversary' modes. The official website is also live, and there's quite a range of digital editions and 'packs' on offer that provide different goodies, including in-game currency and DLC extras.
It's hard to know what to make of all those options, though we understand that key modes (like Hard Missions and Mirror) will be unlockable in game, with different packs and editions giving quicker access. The Switch version doesn't currently have pre-order links on the website, likely as a result of the eShop page not being ready.
So, there it is! Let us know what you think; we can't wait to see what SEGA's done with Sonic 3 and CD in this collection, that's for sure!
- Further reading: Best Sonic Games Of All Time