Forums

Topic: Is WiiWare and VC Dead Already?

Posts 1 to 20 of 28

ToadFan

With no VC titles since June and now only 1 WiiWare Title a week on the UK. Is the Wii Shop Channel Dead already?

ToadFan

BenAV

ToadFan wrote:

With no VC titles since June and now only 1 WiiWare Title a week on the UK. Is the Wii Shop Channel Dead already?

The Wii Shop Channel hasn't really been too successful for Nintendo.
They're probably more focused on assuring the 3DS eShop has better luck now.

BenAV

Switch Friend Code: SW-4616-9069-4695 | 3DS Friend Code: 3652-0548-9579 | Nintendo Network ID: Ben_AV

LzWinky

Yes. Now quit asking

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Chrono_Cross

With the Eshop in high demand (Virtual Handheld, 3DSWare, DSiWare, plus all the additional content), the ambassador program going on, the price cut deal, Wii U development, and other upbringings, Wii's VC and WiiWare aren't necessarily... profitable? Or in other words not as in demand as other services. So in my eyes, it's not a shocker that they're cutting back on everything Wii/DS.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

BenAV

Kid_Crono wrote:

With the Eshop in high demand (Virtual Handheld, 3DSWare, DSiWare, plus all the additional content), the ambassador program going on, the price cut deal, Wii U development, and other upbringings, Wii's VC and WiiWare aren't necessarily... profitable? Or in other words not as in demand as other services. So in my eyes, it's not a shocker that they're cutting back on everything Wii/DS.

Yeah, exactly right.
They can't keep four systems going strong at the same time.
With the introduction of the 3DS and Wii U it's only inevitable that the DS and Wii will slowly die out.
And the Wii Shop Channel is probably the first step.

BenAV

Switch Friend Code: SW-4616-9069-4695 | 3DS Friend Code: 3652-0548-9579 | Nintendo Network ID: Ben_AV

Chrono_Cross

The Wii Shop Channel was very profitable for Nintendo. If it wasn't wouldn't it have died out years ago? lol

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

Link79

Did everyone forget we just got A Wiiware game and a VC game on the Wii shop last week?
It has slowed down but no it's not dead.

Edited on by Link79

3DS Friend code 4038-6006-7917
Wii Friend code 3553-5293-8702-0039
Smash Bros. Brawl 0001-3032-2653
Mario vs DK: Minis March Again 3310-6435-2823
Wii and 3DS ID Link

BenAV

Kid_Crono wrote:

The Wii Shop Channel was very profitable for Nintendo. If it wasn't wouldn't it have died out years ago? lol

Yeah, well you'd Imagine it would be... They're mostly just charging people for games that have already been made so that can't be too costly for them.
But they've probably moved onto bigger and better things now.

BenAV

Switch Friend Code: SW-4616-9069-4695 | 3DS Friend Code: 3652-0548-9579 | Nintendo Network ID: Ben_AV

BenAV

Link79 wrote:

Did everyone forget we just got A Wiiware game and a VC game on the Wii shop last week?
It has slowed down but no it's not dead.

Well, yeah... there may be the occasional game or two... but it's all but dead.

BenAV

Switch Friend Code: SW-4616-9069-4695 | 3DS Friend Code: 3652-0548-9579 | Nintendo Network ID: Ben_AV

BenAV

Yellowtails wrote:

I doubt it will die without Nintendo announcing it. There are still many VC games to be released and until Nintendo says they are not releasing those games, they have a slight chance of appearing.

Yeah, there'll always be the chance of the occasional game or two appearing any time between now and when the Wii U launches.
They won't take down the service or anything like that.
And there's even the chance of it having a bit of a comeback after the Wii U launches considering you'd think the Wii U's shop will be backwards compatible and contain everything from the Wii Shop Channel too, so it could be a bit like the DSiWare on the 3DS.

BenAV

Switch Friend Code: SW-4616-9069-4695 | 3DS Friend Code: 3652-0548-9579 | Nintendo Network ID: Ben_AV

Chrono_Cross

BenAV wrote:

Kid_Crono wrote:

The Wii Shop Channel was very profitable for Nintendo. If it wasn't wouldn't it have died out years ago? lol

Yeah, well you'd Imagine it would be... They're mostly just charging people for games that have already been made so that can't be too costly for them.
But they've probably moved onto bigger and better things now.

Of course it's not. Actually I think Nintendo made quite a lot of money off the VC service alone. But at this day and age Nintendo's not making nowhere near as much off the service as they did say 2007.

I'm assuming the obvious here when I say that the VC/WiiWare services will "die" when the Wii U is released or atleast had a good year of life.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

Link79

Honestly though Lufia, Strider and Monster world 4 are the only things left I'm even planning on getting on the Wii shop.
If you look at the coming soon list on this site it's down to nearly nothing left.
There are still a few games that haven't made it to the U.S. and I'd imagine they are on the way eventually.
I suppose there could still be some surprises before the Wii dies completely.

Edited on by Link79

3DS Friend code 4038-6006-7917
Wii Friend code 3553-5293-8702-0039
Smash Bros. Brawl 0001-3032-2653
Mario vs DK: Minis March Again 3310-6435-2823
Wii and 3DS ID Link

BenAV

Well as I said just before, it could have a little surge when the Wii U is released and all of the games get shifted to the Wii U's shop, like DSiWare on the 3DS.

BenAV

Switch Friend Code: SW-4616-9069-4695 | 3DS Friend Code: 3652-0548-9579 | Nintendo Network ID: Ben_AV

Link79

As long as the VC continues with Wii U it's fine by me. Maybe the whole thing will just carry over and they'll continue to update it with more classic games.

3DS Friend code 4038-6006-7917
Wii Friend code 3553-5293-8702-0039
Smash Bros. Brawl 0001-3032-2653
Mario vs DK: Minis March Again 3310-6435-2823
Wii and 3DS ID Link

Chrono_Cross

So everyone can just calm down. VC isn't going anywhere.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

BenAV

Link79 wrote:

As long as the VC continues with Wii U it's fine by me. Maybe the whole thing will just carry over and they'll continue to update it with more classic games.

Well I'm pretty sure it'll carry over considering the games everyone's downloaded should be transferable to the Wii U which would indicate they'd all be downloadable too.
Don't know how far it'll go after that but you never know.
I guess time will tell when they give more details about the Wii U's downloadable game services.

BenAV

Switch Friend Code: SW-4616-9069-4695 | 3DS Friend Code: 3652-0548-9579 | Nintendo Network ID: Ben_AV

Link79

We'll find out soon enough. Gotta finish out the year with Wii and see what happens after that.

3DS Friend code 4038-6006-7917
Wii Friend code 3553-5293-8702-0039
Smash Bros. Brawl 0001-3032-2653
Mario vs DK: Minis March Again 3310-6435-2823
Wii and 3DS ID Link

BenAV

Yep, still got a while to go till then.

BenAV

Switch Friend Code: SW-4616-9069-4695 | 3DS Friend Code: 3652-0548-9579 | Nintendo Network ID: Ben_AV

cheetahman91

Wii Shop's not dead but it's getting there. Europe hasn't gotten a Wii VC game in over two months (I'm really hoping that this is just a bad VC summer drought but I don't think it is unfortunately). As for NA, we've been on the same pattern for months now but after Adventure Island II and The Ignition Factor release, I don't think we'll be seeing any new games for a while. Japan still gets new games, but not that many. It's a shame to see the Wii VC in this state because there's still a few games left that I'd like to see. If things get worse the only legal options left are sites like Ebay or see if I can find any places that sell retro games in my area (I've done a good job of avoiding those two other than that time I bought Super Mario RPG from a retro game store).

As for Wiiware, not as sad because it never was all that great other than a few games.

Jesus is the only way.
It's OK to have an opinion. This ain't the Soviet Union you know.
IMDB
Youtube Channel

Switch Friend Code: SW-2350-3570-9923 | Nintendo Network ID: cheetahman91

BenAV

cheetahman91 wrote:

Wii Shop's not dead but it's getting there. Europe hasn't gotten a Wii VC game in over two months (I'm really hoping that this is just a bad VC summer drought but I don't think it is unfortunately). As for NA, we've been on the same pattern for months now but after Adventure Island II and The Ignition Factor release, I don't think we'll be seeing any new games for a while. Japan still gets new games, but not that many. It's a shame to see the Wii VC in this state because there's still a few games left that I'd like to see. If things get worse the only legal options left are sites like Ebay or see if I can find any places that sell retro games in my area (I've done a good job of avoiding those two other than that time I bought Super Mario RPG from a retro game store).

As for Wiiware, not as sad because it never was all that great other than a few games.

Don't forget about the Wii U.
I'm sure it'll have some sort of Virtual Console service so who knows what might end up coming out once it comes out.

BenAV

Switch Friend Code: SW-4616-9069-4695 | 3DS Friend Code: 3652-0548-9579 | Nintendo Network ID: Ben_AV

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.