Forums

Topic: A love letter to Punchout!! My game of 2009!

Posts 1 to 3 of 3

Dru192

As 2009 draws to a close I took some time to reflect on my favourite game of the year Punchout!! From the very first teaser I was extremely excited about this title and this continued right up to release day. This was strange because the previous titles had passed me by, but there was something about the concept of Punchout!! its style, sound and simple but deep game-play that immediately got my attention. I found myself checking the Punchout!! site weekly to see which funny/cool/bada$$ new character Nintendo had revealed.

D-day arrived and straight from work I drove down to my local Tesco, butterflies in my stomach waiting to pick up the game I’d been waiting for for months. I got home, put it in my Wii and I was immediately taken back by how much character this game had. The Punchout!! theme has been permanently engraved into my eardrums and I still find myself whistling to what in my opinion is one of the greatest video game anthems of all time! (I have the OST in my car for when I need my fix, sad I know)

The game-play was amazing, simple but complex, providing a challenge but easy enough to pick up and play at any time. The sense of accomplishment I felt from beating Soda Popinski, Bald Bull and Mr Sandman was intoxicating. And the first time Little Mac put his foot down and carried on fighting despite receiving what would normally be a knockout punch was jaw-dropping (I actually hollered out!)

Then came Title Defence, I got my butt handed to me repeatedly and loved every minute of it. I was actually saddened when I finally defeated TD Mr Sandman in what could only be described as an epic battle that went on for hours (lots of continues lol)
In my opinion Punchout!! boasts some of the best video game characters ever created Doc Louis, Great Tiger, Aran Ryan and King Hippo all ooze charisma. Bald Bull, Soda Popinski and Mr Sandman are intimidating as any boss I’ve ever faced and Disco Kid, Bear Hugger and Don Flamenco (Punchout!! fans know why) are hilarious!

So this is my love letter to Punchout!! I admit its a little OTT and a bit longwinded but in my opinion this is my title of 2009 and one of the best games I’ve ever played!

So to all Punchout!! fans out there what were YOUR favourite moments of this game?

PS let’s keep it positive, no smarta$$ “Punchout!! is over-rated”, “there are better games “ comments please! I know this title may not be everyone's cup of tea but let's get some good remenicing going!

tatsunical.blogspot.com Come join the community!! TVC Friendcode: 0775 5696 4450

Dru192

ryanknight717 wrote:

You get to face (SPOILER) DONKEY KONG! How isn't this game awesome!

Still not managed to fight DK but will do it during my two weeks off work! (And I call myself a Punchout!! fan lol)

tatsunical.blogspot.com Come join the community!! TVC Friendcode: 0775 5696 4450

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.