Forums

Topic: Why is no one buying the Wii U?

Posts 201 to 220 of 327

Pagey

jariw wrote:

Pagey wrote:

While the console market may not be larger, both the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One sold faster than any of their previous systems while the PS4 broke the record (previously held by the PS2, I believe) for fastest selling console of all time. That certainly points to a larger market but it is far too early in the 8th generation to really determine that, in my opinion.

No, initial sales points at nothing. If you instead look at the current Japanese console sale figures, you could probably say that the non-portable console market (regardless of maker) is dead. So I'm still waiting for figures on this larger console market.

As I said, I think it is too early to determine if there is a larger console market but I disagree that initial sales mean nothing. There is obviously a whole lot of interest in the 8th gen consoles and if they continue to sell at the pace they are selling at they could be the best selling consoles of all time. If that is the case then I'd consider the console market to be larger than it once was. But again, it is too early to tell, in my opinion.

Looking at one specific market and seeing a decline in sales doesn't mean that the whole market is shrinking.

PSN: James_Page | NN: 1stGenCummins | XBL: Mopar Parker | Steam: Fred Fuchs

Chrono_Cross

skywake wrote:

I didn't say I didn't want to participate in any argument. I said I didn't want to participate in THAT argument. That argument being the "ZOMG the console X lacks variety compared to console Y". Clearly they both have variety, that argument is BS. I am however more than willing to participate in this argument of you having a go at me for being a magnet to argument. If only for the fact that it has forced the discussion away from the banal console X has better games than console Y thing.

And to be perfectly clear, my original point was that it's all BS. The console that has the most games you like is the console that has the most games you like. The console that has the most variety in games from your particular perspective is the one that has the most variety. This is a purely subjective thing. So this argument you were having with these other people about Wii U vs 360 vs 3DS vs PS4 vs Wii etc "game variety" was BS. You're all wrong. They all had/have variety. I won't participate in the argument about which console has the most variety.... I'll just poke you from the sidelines to say you're all wrong

Wow, you're so intelligent and wise. I wish I was like you.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

Dreamz

I think the more pertinent question may be "When do the low Wii U sales begin to have a very noticeable impact on the Wii U?" I personally don't care so much that the Wii U isn't currently selling well. It has plenty of games in the current pipeline to keep me entertained for quite some time. My only worry is when we'll see the sales numbers start to severely impact the console. The system has already lost a lot of third party support, but I personally haven't really noticed that yet (I have no interest in CoD, Assassin's Creed, etc).

My 3rd Party Games List: Click here
U-Wishlist: Splatoon, Zelda U

MAN1AC

Dreamz wrote:

I think the more pertinent question may be "When do the low Wii U sales begin to have a very noticeable impact on the Wii U?" I personally don't care so much that the Wii U isn't currently selling well. It has plenty of games in the current pipeline to keep me entertained for quite some time. My only worry is when we'll see the sales numbers start to severely impact the console. The system has already lost a lot of third party support, but I personally haven't really noticed that yet (I have no interest in CoD, Assassin's Creed, etc).

The noticeable impact is already here. But if you're a Wii U owner then it shouldn't really matter at this point because you've pretty much weathered the storm and all the notable games will be revealed and released in the next few months.The real question is how long and how much will Nintendo support the console.

We'll get our answer at E3 this year.

Four more months until Bayonetta 2.

3DS Friend Code: 0705-3088-6988 | Nintendo Network ID: MANIAC64

DualWielding

SCAR392 wrote:

@Dreamz
If you're fine with playing an NES game, then how would that make Shovel Knight any less appealing? Every game on the eShop is part of the VC, if you really want to literal.

What? how is say Child of Light part of the VC?

PSN: Fertheseeker

Dezzy

SCAR392 wrote:

@Dreamz
If you're fine with playing an NES game, then how would that make Shovel Knight any less appealing? Every game on the eShop is part of the VC, if you really want to literal.

No it's not. Virtual Console means emulating in software the functions of a previous hardware. Brand new e-shop games are written directly for the current hardware. The only difference between the code for a game like Shovel Knight and a game like Mario Kart 8 is that one happens to be on a disc.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Rob_mc_1

I do believe there is a definite issue with marketing and format choices. One of the larger games that drove sales was Wii Sports. Yes the Wii U has Wii Sports Club but I don't think as many people are aware of it.

My Wife uses Wii Fit U regularly and she didn't even realize that Wii Sports Club existed even though Nintendo slipped the icon into the menu months ago. My wife is not a techy person unless there is a need to scroll to the next page of icons she does not look there.

While Nintendo's choice to do digital distribution of Wii Sports Club and being able to purchase a each sport separately may make sense to us here in the forum, Digital distribution and micro transactions are still at a huge disconnect with many of the older generation. A Wii Sports Club compilation disc in a display at a store might go a long way to show people that it exists. Also they need to know the new features that show why it is better then what they had.

Next weekend, Nintendo is doing a huge push with Best Buy to promote Mario Kart 8 in an event on site. They did the same for Wii Fit. Why haven't they done the same thing with Wii Fit U or Wii Sports Club? I think Nintendo needs to try to capture the casual market. They are not gamers who automatically look to the newer systems.

Nintendo's Marketing department needs to learn the culture of the people who bought the Wii and learn to re-target them.

♠♦♣

Ralek85

@Wonkers "I did not say that Nintendo had the most. I didn't say I would recommend them."
What are you refering to ? I asked you what you meant by "mature games" since you used that term. I pointed out when I think of past Nintendo consoles I cannot come up with "lots of" (your choice of words) mature games like you implicated, certainly not in contrast to other systems. I concluded that if "mature games" were a factor, Nintendo would not be a good choice of console. I didn't refer to anything you didn'T say. If you take offense with my statement about recommendations, may I assume that you considered it false and would indeed recommend a WiiU to people in search for a system offering them the best access to "mature games" ?

Switch: 3355-6459-9982 | 3DS: 2809-7989-1816 | NNID: Ralek85

Ralek85

SCAR392 wrote:

7th gen games on Xbox One and PS4:
TitanFall
CoD
Assassin's Creed
Battlefield 4
Destiny
Just Dance
Child of Light
EA Sports
...

Everyone's all excited about 7th gen games on 8th gen consoles.

You haven't played Battlefield 4 in PS4 have you ? It certainly is a mess in many regards on the multiplayer end, but if you refer to graphics as well as physics as well as 64-player support it certainly is not a last gen game. That'S just preposterous. Conveniently you left out Infamous 3 completely although it is the best thing on any of the new system so far in my opinion. Also remember that on any given console launch the first generation of games is much closer to what we saw on the previous generation of hardware. I have very vivid memories about resistance looking like a very nice PS2 game. So yeah I think BF4 as well as Infamous 3 are quite the little sensation. These games are real technical achievements very, very, very early in the lifecycle of the system.

Edited on by Ralek85

Switch: 3355-6459-9982 | 3DS: 2809-7989-1816 | NNID: Ralek85

MAB

By the time next year rolls around the real question won't be 'why is nobody buying the Wii U' but more like 'why is everyone buying a Wii U'

MAB

DualWielding

MAB wrote:

By the time next year rolls around the real question won't be 'why is nobody buying the Wii U' but more like 'why is everyone buying a Wii U'

That's very optimistic Nintendo.... since even Nintendo seems to have accepted the Wii U won't ever sell well

PSN: Fertheseeker

Dreamz

ferthepoet wrote:

MAB wrote:

By the time next year rolls around the real question won't be 'why is nobody buying the Wii U' but more like 'why is everyone buying a Wii U'

That's very optimistic Nintendo.... since even Nintendo seems to have accepted the Wii U won't ever sell well

I can see the Wii U selling well, but it would involve an extremely aggressive marketing campaign, and slashing the price so that it sells at a major loss, and I don't think Nintendo is willing to do the latter.

I'm fairly certain that a $125 bundle that includes a Wii U, gamepad, Wii remote, and Super Mario 3D World would fly off the shelves.

My 3rd Party Games List: Click here
U-Wishlist: Splatoon, Zelda U

kyuubikid213

Ralek85 wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

7th gen games on Xbox One and PS4:
TitanFall
CoD
Assassin's Creed
Battlefield 4
Destiny
Just Dance
Child of Light
EA Sports
...

Everyone's all excited about 7th gen games on 8th gen consoles.

You haven't played Battlefield 4 in PS4 have you ? It certainly is a mess in many regards on the multiplayer end, but if you refer to graphics as well as physics as well as 64-player support it certainly is not a last gen game. That'S just preposterous. Conveniently you left out Infamous: Second Son completely although it is the best thing on any of the new system so far in my opinion. Also remember that on any given console launch the first generation of games is much closer to what we saw on the previous generation of hardware. I have very vivid memories about resistance looking like a very nice PS2 game. So yeah I think BF4 as well as Infamous 3 are quite the little sensation. These games are real technical achievements very, very, very early in the lifecycle of the system.

Fixed. And he left it out because it's not a last gen port, it's a new gen sequel built from the ground up (I imagine) on the PS4. Also, it's not Infamous 3. Just have to put that in there. You practically need a magnifying glass to see "Infamous" in the title.

Also, Battlefield 4's a good example of a game that should have ONLY been on the current generation. It was completely broken and nearly unplayable on the PS3 and 360. Graphics don't matter as much if the game plays wonderfully and is fun, but graphics are TOO important to DICE/EA with their texture packs.

I own a PS1, GBA, GBA SP, Wii (GCN), 360, 3DS, PC (Laptop), Wii U, and PS4.
I used to own a GBC, PS2, and DS Lite

I'm on YouTube.

I promise to not derail threads. Request from theblackdragon

I pro...

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9073-1731 | Nintendo Network ID: kyuubikid213

rockodoodle

good post. i think the biggest problem overall is the lack of marketing and advertising in general. they should have advertised during the Olympics- even just a little bit. i had no intentions of buying Wii Sports Club but gave it a chance during the free weekend. I had so much fun with it, i eventually bought all three.

i was sold on the early advertisements, the few they had. it took me five months to take the plunge, but i did. The selling point for me was the game pad and it didn't disappoint. I think most of the disconnect is that not enough people are aware, and then many who are aware have not experienced the wii u.

even tho the gamepad might be under used, it is still pretty bad @ss and i don't get the hate for it. i use it even when i'm not gaming for surfing and netflix. it's a great controller and even for fighting games and madden, it adds a lot to the experience. the battery life can be dissappointing, but for the most part i don't play longer than an hour anyway. oddly, the one thing that sold me on the gamepade was the ninja game on nintendoland. while i like the game, for that purpose, it is a little heavy and bulky. but otherwise, it BUGS me to no end when i hear people saying that it's so big and bulky.

anyway, just having the ability to play a game while watching a sporting event or watch netflix while the family is watching something else has improved my quality of life

Rob_mc_1 wrote:

I do believe there is a definite issue with marketing and format choices. One of the larger games that drove sales was Wii Sports. Yes the Wii U has Wii Sports Club but I don't think as many people are aware of it.

My Wife uses Wii Fit U regularly and she didn't even realize that Wii Sports Club existed even though Nintendo slipped the icon into the menu months ago. My wife is not a techy person unless there is a need to scroll to the next page of icons she does not look there.

While Nintendo's choice to do digital distribution of Wii Sports Club and being able to purchase a each sport separately may make sense to us here in the forum, Digital distribution and micro transactions are still at a huge disconnect with many of the older generation. A Wii Sports Club compilation disc in a display at a store might go a long way to show people that it exists. Also they need to know the new features that show why it is better then what they had.

Next weekend, Nintendo is doing a huge push with Best Buy to promote Mario Kart 8 in an event on site. They did the same for Wii Fit. Why haven't they done the same thing with Wii Fit U or Wii Sports Club? I think Nintendo needs to try to capture the casual market. They are not gamers who automatically look to the newer systems.

Nintendo's Marketing department needs to learn the culture of the people who bought the Wii and learn to re-target them.

rockodoodle

MAB

Iwata will be a unstoppable aggressive force to be reckoned with... Dem guns gonna blaze at E3

Untitled

MAB

rockodoodle

that won't happen tiil the end of the product's life cycle. it might not even get that low, even with drpos in component costs. $199 is probably the psychological barrier.

one other thing to consider is that as bad as wii graphics are, a lot of kids and families still play theirs and have no problems with it. as i mention above, nintendo needs to raise awareness and then illustrate/communicate the value and experience. II and when they do that, price won't be such an issue.

i've mentioned this in other discussions, but if you put enough hours into the devide/games and then divide that by the cost, it comes out to $2-$3 per hour, sometimes even much less for certain games. that's a pretty good value if you ask me.

Dreamz wrote:

ferthepoet wrote:

MAB wrote:

By the time next year rolls around the real question won't be 'why is nobody buying the Wii U' but more like 'why is everyone buying a Wii U'

That's very optimistic Nintendo.... since even Nintendo seems to have accepted the Wii U won't ever sell well

I can see the Wii U selling well, but it would involve an extremely aggressive marketing campaign, and slashing the price so that it sells at a major loss, and I don't think Nintendo is willing to do the latter.

I'm fairly certain that a $125 bundle that includes a Wii U, gamepad, Wii remote, and Super Mario 3D World would fly off the shelves.

rockodoodle

DualWielding

@rockdoodle the problem is that Nintendo games are still more expensive than the competition due to lack of good digital sales, region lock, Nintendo rarely dropping the price of flagship titles, and less of a used market for Nintendo games than for Playstation or 360 games... so it still looks as a bad value

PSN: Fertheseeker

Rob_mc_1

I'm not even sure why the price point is an issue at this point. Even the tablet is still a good deal bundled in for one main reason. Normally you would have to buy all new controllers. The Xbox one and PS4 need new controllers. That's about another 150 on the price tag.

The cost to get a Wii U if you already have a Wii is greatly reduced. I remember buying the Wii for 250 and then buying 3 Wiimote, 3 nunchucks, classic controllers and motion plus items. That pretty much doubled the price.

When I bought a Wii U for $300 then that is it. I'm set. Wii U is backwards compatible.

Marketing and then educating is the real need.

Edited on by Rob_mc_1

♠♦♣

rockodoodle

ferthepoet wrote:

@rockdoodle the problem is that Nintendo games are still more expensive than the competition due to lack of good digital sales, region lock, Nintendo rarely dropping the price of flagship titles, and less of a used market for Nintendo games than for Playstation or 360 games... so it still looks as a bad value

T
At least for the best ones, $50-$60 is a good value- I don't mind paying that at all for Mario Kart, SM3dw.... I think Pikmin and W101 have come down quite a bit. I think I've seen DCTF for $40.

rockodoodle

Ryno

ferthepoet wrote:

@rockdoodle the problem is that Nintendo games are still more expensive than the competition due to lack of good digital sales, region lock, Nintendo rarely dropping the price of flagship titles, and less of a used market for Nintendo games than for Playstation or 360 games... so it still looks as a bad value

Because selling yourself to the lowest buyers is a good business strategy.

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

Top

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic