Forums

Topic: Why is no one buying the Wii U?

Posts 321 to 326 of 326

SCRAPPER392

banacheck wrote:

kyuubikid213

or flat-out boring by the general consensus (Knack).

Try playing the game before you discredit it as you'll find press reviews are not a universal opinion, also didn't the Wii U launch have overpriced ports of last-gen game's? of course it did, never judge a new console off it's launch titles. Basic 101 launch console rules, a hardcore gamer is someone that plays a console every day for quite a few hours, a causal gamer is someone that plays game's once in a once every two weeks or less for a few hours a most.

The Xbox One and PS4 launched with overpriced ports of last gen games, too, so what's your point? Everone on the internet promised me that it wouldn't be this way.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

TheSilencer

You have to remember, their will always be the "status quo" in anything that happens in the U.S. The U.S. consumer mentality now dominates the world market with a "bigger is better" moniker.
Consumers look at the cute little numbers of pixels on their systems and TV's, therefore also effecting Nintendo's third party support.
The status quo = power companies Sony and Microsoft, and we all know power companies will never focus on innovation.
I don't think any Nintendo was ever supposed to be a mainstream console, but found themselves in that niche almost by accident.
Innovation is never popular until the guy with the right money, sales pitch, and marketing prowess decides to copy that innovation, and make it the industry standard.
Ford Motor Company would come to mind here.

TheSilencer

Lobster

TheSilencer wrote:

I don't think any Nintendo was ever supposed to be a mainstream console, but found themselves in that niche almost by accident.

Of course Nintendo consoles were meant to be mainstream. You don't launch a product and think, "Welp, I hope this doesn't make me lots of money. I hope everyone doesn't gotta get them one of these."

NNID: TheLobster
If you add me, please say you're from here. As a lady I have had some dudes friending me just to hit on me, which is uncool!

Twitter:

Ralek85

TheSilencer wrote:

The status quo = power companies Sony and Microsoft, and we all know power companies will never focus on innovation.

This is all good and well on paper. But honestly who cares about the kind of innovation you seem to be alluding too?
Motion gaming has basically been dropped, 2nd screen is still waiting to take off and most likely never will in any meaningful way, it's the same for 3D gaming (aside from PC were you are free to enjoy every game in 3D). I'm pissed with Sony that they basically killed of Move and 3D. Although technically it even works with PS4 and that 3D, which they pushed hard seems to be dead in their book also. I loved KZ3 with Move and in 3D. It was quite something fierce to experience I gotta say.
It is one thing to innovate hardware. It is quite a different thing to innovate software. The kind of Nintendo innovation I like comes by the way of Pushmo and Crashmo. Interesting gameplay mechanics that are not forcedly imposed by hardware "innovation". I wish Nintendo would focus on that side of the deal. Do "mainstream" consoles maybe a bit cheaper and on the weaker side like the 3DS but to diverse and interesting games. Stop forcing hardware on developers who don't have any clue what to do with it.

Switch: 3355-6459-9982 | 3DS: 2809-7989-1816 | NNID: Ralek85

bubble_bear

TheSilencer wrote:

You have to remember, their will always be the "status quo" in anything that happens in the U.S. The U.S. consumer mentality now dominates the world market with a "bigger is better" moniker.
Consumers look at the cute little numbers of pixels on their systems and TV's, therefore also effecting Nintendo's third party support.
Innovation is never popular until the guy with the right money, sales pitch, and marketing prowess decides to copy that innovation, and make it the industry standard.
Ford Motor Company would come to mind here.

"I don't think any Nintendo was ever supposed to be a mainstream console, but found themselves in that niche almost by accident."

I'm not sure this sentence makes any sense. So you're saying Nintendo accidentally found themselves in the "niche" market of being a mainstream console? Uhh what? Nintendo has been a mainstream videogame company since day one. The NES and SNES were the original mainstream consoles, and the Wii was officially the most mainstream console of all time. My grandparents owned one. The only reason they exist in a niche market currently is because they have no consistency in their schemes, and seemingly have no idea how to identify with the average modern gamer. I know it's appealing to think of Nintendo as this underground cult gaming company, but don't get it twisted... Nintendo WANTS the mainstream. Wii Party U? Wii Fit U? Wii Sports Golf? Nintendo wants everyone in your family to play the Wii U, not just forum visiting super fans.

bubble_bear

bassoongoon

MrWu wrote:

Ultimately, the Wii U we got, sans the GamePad was the Wii HD people wanted in 2010; Basically a Wii with more power.

I totally agree with this. Wii U is basically Wii HD.

Don't get me wrong, I love mine and I am totally fine with that, but it doesn't offer anything that new except for the HD graphics. The game pad in my opinion is not that much of an addition. Many of the non-traditional gamers Nintendo "expanded its market" to bought a Wii, played it a few times, then let it collect dust. I think many of the people that bought Wiis that were not big time gamers ended up not playing them that much, and saw no reason to upgrade.

This is all my own speculation of course.

You can pry my bassoon from my cold dead fingers!

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.