Forums

Topic: Bayonetta 2 BOMBED in Japan.

Posts 101 to 120 of 183

iKhan

Kuhang wrote:

OK, People need to accept this already.Bayonetta 2 is a fail in Japan, BIG TIME.As much as i wanted it to be a success, it is a fail.It is a high profile game for the Wii U which didn't manage to sell even 60K in 2 weeks??? What do you call that? The numbers are abysmal even when the number of Wii U`s in Japan is taken under consideration, by any standard.Wii U gamers need to stop defending the poor sales.Dodging each poor sales with one thing or the other.Now all I can do is hope it does well in Europe and America.

Depends on your perspective. As far as Nintendo is concerned, the game did just fine. 67% of initial shipment is pretty average. Clearly it sold as well as Nintendo expected it to.

But in the larger scope of things, yes, it sold poorly.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Octane

Kuhang wrote:

OK, People need to accept this already.Bayonetta 2 is a fail in Japan, BIG TIME.As much as i wanted it to be a success, it is a fail.It is a high profile game for the Wii U which didn't manage to sell even 60K in 2 weeks??? What do you call that? The numbers are abysmal even when the number of Wii U`s in Japan is taken under consideration, by any standard.Wii U gamers need to stop defending the poor sales.Dodging each poor sales with one thing or the other.Now all I can do is hope it does well in Europe and America.

Bayonetta 2 only failed if you were one of those who thought: ''It's going to save the Wii U.'' / ''Bayonetta 2 is going to prove 3rd party games do sell on the Wii U.'' For what it is, I think it sold pretty decently.

Octane

jump

Still it's Japan sells puts it ahead of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Ninja Gaiden 3, Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist, LEGO Batman 2, PAC-MAN and the Ghostly Adventures.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Kuhang

Octane wrote:

Kuhang wrote:

OK, People need to accept this already.Bayonetta 2 is a fail in Japan, BIG TIME.As much as i wanted it to be a s cruccess, it is a fail.It is a high profile game for the Wii U which didn't manage to sell even 60K in 2 weeks??? What do you call that? The numbers are abysmal even when the number of Wii U`s in Japan is taken under consideration, by any standard.Wii U gamers need to stop defending the poor sales.Dodging each poor sales with one thing or the other.Now all I can do is hope it does well in Europe and America.

Bayonetta 2 only failed if you were one of those who thought: ''It's going to save the Wii U.'' / ''Bayonetta 2 is going to prove 3rd party games do sell on the Wii U.'' For what it is, I think it sold pretty decently.

No it didn't sell decently for what it, not by a large margin.Nobody expected Bayonetta 2 was going to save Wii U but nobody expected it to bomb, not this bad and not anywhere.I don't know if Nintendo were expecting this.Hyrule warriors was not expected to do well , the game didn't have much hype, people weren't expecting much. It did decent for WHAT IT WAS, that's where that applies.Bayonetta 2 is a highly awaited and regarded game, It is a game very hyped, this time around it also got proper exposure, successor to arguably the best action game, PlayStation and xbox fans are crying because of the game being exclusive.All these and you say it did well for what it is? I don't think so.Or are you one of those Wii u gamers defending everything to grave?

Edited on by Kuhang

Kuhang

Nintendo Network ID: Kuhang

jariw

Kuhang wrote:

No it didn't sell decently for what it, not by a large margin.Nobody expected Bayonetta 2 was going to save Wii U' but nobody expected it to bomb, not this hard and not anywhere.

Can you perhaps provide some facts/figures about these expectations you're talking about? If they sell 67% of the first shipment, I would say the sales figures were expected for the market/demographics that the campaign was aimed towards.

jariw

Kuhang

jariw wrote:

Kuhang wrote:

No it didn't sell decently for what it, not by a large margin.Nobody expected Bayonetta 2 was going to save Wii U' but nobody expected it to bomb, not this hard and not anywhere.

Can you perhaps provide some facts/figures about these expectations you're talking about? If they sell 67% of the first shipment, I would say the sales figures were expected for the market/demographics that the campaign was aimed towards.

Read above that is why I wrote "I don't know if Nintendo were expecting this"

Kuhang

Kuhang

jariw wrote:

Kuhang wrote:

Haha and forget about market and demographics. Fatal frame is a Japan exclusive and tell me Nintendo expected those opening week sales numbers hahaha so stop defending everything.

Edited on by Kuhang

Kuhang

jariw

Kuhang wrote:

I did read that.

Kuhang wrote:

Bayonetta 2 is a highly awaited and regarded game,

Among Japanese Wii U users or somewhere else? And among all users?

Kuhang wrote:

It is a game very hyped,

Kuhang wrote:

this time around it also got proper exposure

In Japan or somewhere else?

Please give me some figures or facts, instead of vague terms like "very hyped".

Here are some figures that might be of interest:

• Bayonetta 1 (world-wide sales, both platforms): 2.04 M
  • Mario Kart Wii (Japan sales alone): 3.74M

Kuhang wrote:

Fatal frame is a Japan exclusive and tell me Nintendo expected those opening week sales numbers hahaha so stop defending everything.

AFAIK, Fatal Frame isn't published by Nintendo and in a different genre and using Japanese characters/environment (instead of the western look of Bayonetta 2), so I don't see how the comparison to the Bayonetta 2 campaign can be measured accurately. I think you need to start acting like an individual who is actually old enough to be allowed to play Bayonetta 2.

jariw

jump

[quote=Kuhang]

jariw wrote:

Here are some figures that might be of interest:

• Bayonetta 1 (world-wide sales, both platforms): 2.04 M
  • Mario Kart Wii (Japan sales alone): 3.74M

Just to add to that if you look up Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze etc all sold more in the both in EU & US not combined, individually.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

jump

Pahvi wrote:

@jariw: I am curious, of how many retail copies are typically shipped to retailers prior to release in terms of expected sales and in what term? Printing more copies than one would expect to sell is a silly idea - didn't they make more ET cartridges for Atari than there were consoles that could play them? On the other hand, the numbers of supplied Wii consoles was rather low for a good while after the console launch. I don't know if it was planned or not, though. I probably should also check what kind of retail versions they had (bundled w/ Bayo1 or not etc. and how each of these SKUs sold. But I'm too lazy and tired to do it.

Of your intial shipment it makes perfect sense to ship (the amount of copies ordered by retailers) more copies than you would sell (in the first week) otherwise it will be sold out everywhere in week 2 as sales data to adjust for demand wouldn't be ready yet.

The ET thing was more to do they had to sell that many copies to cover the games costs so it was either boom or bust if I remeber it correctly.

Nicolai wrote:

Octane

Kuhang wrote:

Octane wrote:

Kuhang wrote:

OK, People need to accept this already.Bayonetta 2 is a fail in Japan, BIG TIME.As much as i wanted it to be a s cruccess, it is a fail.It is a high profile game for the Wii U which didn't manage to sell even 60K in 2 weeks??? What do you call that? The numbers are abysmal even when the number of Wii U`s in Japan is taken under consideration, by any standard.Wii U gamers need to stop defending the poor sales.Dodging each poor sales with one thing or the other.Now all I can do is hope it does well in Europe and America.

No it didn't sell decently for what it, not by a large margin.Nobody expected Bayonetta 2 was going to save Wii U but nobody expected it to bomb, not this bad and not anywhere.I don't know if Nintendo were expecting this.Hyrule warriors was not expected to do well , the game didn't have much hype, people weren't expecting much. It did decent for WHAT IT WAS, that's where that applies.Bayonetta 2 is a highly awaited and regarded game, It is a game very hyped, this time around it also got proper exposure, successor to arguably the best action game, PlayStation and xbox fans are crying because of the game being exclusive.All these and you say it did well for what it is? I don't think so.Or are you one of those Wii u gamers defending everything to grave?

''To bomb'' means what exactly? It's a subjective verb, it didn't ''bomb'', those are your words.

Bayonetta 2 wasn't ''highly awaited and regarded''. Definitely not in Japan. The first Bayonetta was a multiplat game, and it only sold 300,000 copies, on two systems that are notorious for their (I hate the term, but) ''mature'' action games. Now we're talking about the Wii U; a much smaller install base, consisting of gamers who probably never played the original game; and that all in Japan.

That's enough reasons to not expect the game to do any better than say the original Bayonetta, or Hyrule Warriors. Hyrule Warriors is a very niche game as well, but at least it has Zelda in it. Plus the Musou franchise is more popular in Japan than overseas.

I don't think Xbox and PS gamers are crying about this game either, it was never really popular on the X360 and the PS3 (~160 million consoles). Those people are just a very vocal minority.

I'm not defending everything Nintendo does, but the things you are saying make absolutely no sense. I think you're the one hyped for this game, but that doesn't mean everybody is.

Edited on by Octane

Octane

Kuhang

[quote=Kuhang]

Kuhang wrote:

I did read that.

jariw wrote:

Bayonetta 2 is a highly awaited and regarded game,

Kuhang wrote:

It is a game very hyped,

Kuhang wrote:

this time around it also got proper exposure

In Japan or somewhere else?

I can answer all your questions in 1 simple word "Everywhere" see magic haha

And my bad about Fatal frame (I forgot) but the point being, were the publishers expecting those numbers for a Japan exclusive game that they obviously thought it would be best for japan,hence an exclusive? Stop acting like a kid playing ignorant and and Dig. Those figures absolutely do not interest me (I am aware of it just so you know) and what's your point? I can ho on but long story short, Does these figure explain the failed sales of Bayonetta 2 in Japan?
Also whatever you said about fatal frame does that explain the failed sales of fatal frame? What, just what are you trying hard to explain?
Oh and yes I'm old enough to play EVERY GAME not just bayonetta, and I don't need to ACT.

Edited on by Kuhang

Kuhang

jariw

Pahvi wrote:

@jariw: I am curious, of how many retail copies are typically shipped to retailers prior to release in terms of expected sales and in what term?

I think the retail stores base their initial orders on their preorders + some additional copies. I have absolutely no idea how the manufacturing of the initial copies from the publisher are calculated or what tools they're using, since that decision must be made at the same time as the marketing campaign. (Perhaps the interest on channels like YouTube is measured, where the E3 footage of Zelda, Hyrule Warriors and Mario Party 10 got much much more attention from users than Bayonetta 2.)

Pahvi wrote:

On the other hand, the numbers of supplied Wii consoles was rather low for a good while after the console launch.

Hardware sales is different, since the shipments depend on supply of components from many different manufacturers.

jariw

jariw

Kuhang wrote:

And my bad about Fatal frame (I forgot) but the point being, were the publishers expecting those numbers for a Japan exclusive game that they obviously thought it would be best for japan,hence an exclusive? Stop acting like a kid playing ignorant and and Dig. Those figures absolutely do not interest me (I am aware of it just so you know) and what's your point? I can ho on but long story short, Does these figure explain the failed sales of Bayonetta 2 in Japan?
Also whatever you said about fatal frame does that explain the failed sales of fatal frame? What, just what are you trying hard to explain?

Using the figures in this chart (and with a lower installed user base of Wii U compared to Wii in mind), how did Fatal Frame fail in sales?
Untitled

Edited on by jariw

jariw

Andyliini

jariw wrote:

[
Using the figures in this chart (and with a lower installed user base of Wii U compared to Wii in mind), how did Fatal Frame fail in sales?
Untitled

Wow, I never knew about this. So, according to this, Project Zero 5 actually sold pretty decently, considering how much lower Wii U's install base is compared to those of PS2 and Wii.

Dunno how I feel.

Nintendo Network ID: Andyliini | Twitter:

Akazury

So this game that is aimed at Western Audiences didn't sell amazing in a country where everything Western sorta dies, who would have thought. Be honest this game sold as expected, nobody expected this to save WiiU not get high sales in Japan, this is a game that lives on Western consumers. The first hardly sold in Japan so why would the sequel.

Everything can change, but I'm never changing who I am

Nintendo Network ID: Akazury | Twitter:

shingi_70

Akazury wrote:

So this game that is aimed at Western Audiences didn't sell amazing in a country where everything Western sorta dies, who would have thought. Be honest this game sold as expected, nobody expected this to save WiiU not get high sales in Japan, this is a game that lives on Western consumers. The first hardly sold in Japan so why would the sequel.

This game appeals to western audeinces hahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Nope you guys tend to frgot that the first game sold like crap in the west on two systems that had a combne market share of 100 million at the time.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

jump

shingi_70 wrote:

Akazury wrote:

This game appeals to western audeinces hahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Nope you guys tend to frgot that the first game sold like crap in the west on two systems that had a combne market share of 100 million at the time.

Is over a million copies crap tho?

Nicolai wrote:

Ryu_Niiyama

Hmm the game was never going to be the WiiU turnaround point. Still for those who like the series we will have tons of fun playing. That's all I ask for from gaming.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Blast
  • I think its really sad that sales of a game means more than quality... looks at Destiny, Watch Dogs, etc... which is why I hate this thread*

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.