Forums

Topic: The N64 Thread

Posts 41 to 60 of 253

Arbor

@ReaderRagfihs I know I tried at least four different games. I'll let it sit for the night and try cleaning them again tomorrow. I opened the jumper pak but there was a large sticker that said DO NOT REMOVE so I just left it alone.
@ReaderRagfihs sorry to tag you again, but I just re-cleaned the n64 and one of my games and tested it again, and we're up to TWO bars flashing now when I turn it on! still nothing else though. any jumper pak suggestions?

Edited on by Arbor

Arbor

Diddy64

BlueOcean wrote:

N64 is a very special console for me because I grew up with SNES and N64. I have fond memories of both. Super Mario World still is the best 2D Mario game ever. Many of the N64 games are till as good as ever, especially remastered: Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Perfect Dark, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask... Diddy Kong Racing is probably the best "kart" racer ever. Nintendo should remake Super Mario 64, the best 3D Mario game.

@BlueOcean who knows, maybe a Super Mario 64 HD remake is more likely than ever, now that Nintendo is listening more to what the players want. By the way, how do feel about the rumours that possibly Xbox game pass could come to Nintendo Switch? Just the thought of seen games like Jet Force Gemini, Perfect Dark, the possibility of Diddy Kong Racing 64 port and seeing Banjo Kazooie again on a Nintendo console really gives me goosebumps when I imagine it.

Edited on by Diddy64

Undergoing games:
Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity

Banjo-

SamusLv7 wrote:

BlueOcean wrote:

N64 is a very special console for me because I grew up with SNES and N64. I have fond memories of both. Super Mario World still is the best 2D Mario game ever. Many of the N64 games are till as good as ever, especially remastered: Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Perfect Dark, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask... Diddy Kong Racing is probably the best "kart" racer ever. Nintendo should remake Super Mario 64, the best 3D Mario game.

@BlueOcean who knows, maybe a Super Mario 64 HD remake is more likely than ever, now that Nintendo is listening more to what the players want. By the way, how do feel about the rumours that possibly Xbox game pass could come to Nintendo Switch? Just the thought of seen games like Jet Force Gemini, Perfect Dark, the possibility of Diddy Kong Racing 64 port and seeing Banjo Kazooie again on a Nintendo console really gives me goosebumps when I imagine it.

I have to come back to check my lovely threads and pals. I think that it's probable that Xbox games will be available on a Nintendo console because Spencer's Microsoft is open-minded and because Game Pass (Xbox One, 360 and Xbox games) could run on Switch as a streaming service. It would be an app that you subscribe to in order to play Xbox games. Additionally, it wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft ported some games to Switch. Xbox is no longer an isolated console but a gaming platform but at the same time I like that Microsoft won't stop making consoles because they make the best consoles and controllers.

Back to our Nintendo universe, Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine are, for me, the best 3D Mario games. I was hoping that Nintendo would remake SM64 for 3DS after glorious Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask and Starfox 64. Because of their clean simple visuals, Nintendo 64 games look wonderful in stereoscopic 3D while Super Mario 64 DS was a watered-down version with blurry visuals and inaccurate controls. It looks like Kirby's Epic Yarn is the last game for Nintendo 3DS published by Nintendo so now I am hoping that Nintendo (or any studio) remakes Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine for Switch because those two games are epic 3D platformers as opposed to fun but dizziness-inducing and gimmicky Super Mario Galaxy/2, 2D-3D-hybrid Super Mario 3DLand/World and the dull exploration of Super Mario Odyssey.

Banjo-

Octane

@Arbor Alcohol won't damage your cartridges (make sure you get a 95%+ though). Water can cause rust or mess up the electronics if it's wet. But alcohol doesn't react with the metal, and it evaporates very quickly.

Sometimes cartridges refuse to work. It has probably to do with the wear on the pins themselves. Taking it out and putting it back it may solve the problem. You may need to do this a couple of times. I wouldn't recommend blowing in it, because it doesn't do anything (unless they're really dusty), and there's a chance it causes rust to form on the pins in the long term. Taking it out and putting it back is what made people believe that blowing it in worked in the first place.

Octane

Arbor

@octane @readerragfihs i’ve done all those things so many times haha but guess i’ll just keep tryin. i believe i’ve tried OoT, mario 64, mario kart 64, wave racer, bass pro fisher (??), donald duck goin quackers, and killer instinct. i’ve never cleaned killer instinct and it also gave 2 bars, after testing them all it seems to be random as some games will give one or two bars.
also @octane did you mean just taking the cartridge out of the n64, or taking the pins out?

Edited on by Arbor

Arbor

Octane

@Arbor Just the cartridge. But if none of them work then it's probably your N64 that's faulty. If you know someone with an N64, you could try one of your games out.

Octane

Octane

@ReaderRagfihs Well, if they're really dirty and dusty, it may work, but I'd suggest an air spray over blowing in it. But we already asked how to clean them, and if they're all cleaned with alcohol, blowing won't do much.

I'd be interested in knowing the difference if someone did a test and had some raw numbers and a paired sample t-test.

Octane

Diddy64

@BlueOcean True, it really was a missed opportunity that they didn't remake Mario 64 in 3DS. I really like how good Ocarina and Majora's Mask look in 3DS so I really hoped for Mario 64 to receive the 3D treatment as well. I also agree that Odyssey exploration feels dull and sometimes even barren. I think that they should have focused on putting areas with more content like in 64 and Sunshine, even if that means sacrificing the open world aspect. Btw I also think that Microsoft will continue making consoles.

Undergoing games:
Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity

Banjo-

SamusLv7 wrote:

@BlueOcean True, it really was a missed opportunity that they didn't remake Mario 64 in 3DS. I really like how good Ocarina and Majora's Mask look in 3DS so I really hoped for Mario 64 to receive the 3D treatment as well. I also agree that Odyssey exploration feels dull and sometimes even barren. I think that they should have focused on putting areas with more content like in 64 and Sunshine, even if that means sacrificing the open world aspect. Btw I also think that Microsoft will continue making consoles.

I agree.

Banjo-

MarioLover92

Personally, I have no interest in the Xbox One (I already have a good gaming PC and I have Ori and Cuphead on Steam), but Rare Replay is one of the few games on it I would actually play. I'd love to have it on Switch, but I am concerned about what this means for Nintendo if Xbox Game Pass does come to Switch. I hope it doesn't hurt them financially, for one thing. I am speculating that in addition to the monthly subscription, you'd have to have an X1 on hand, as well (I could be wrong). Maybe I'm going a bit crazy, but those are my two cents.

Nintendo Life's self-proclaimed #1 Mario fan!

SMM2 ID: V1J-NRF-PWG
ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioFan92 | Twitter:

Diddy64

ReaderRagfihs wrote:

I've played Rare Replay, my brother has it. The N64 games are pretty faithful, other than removal of a few things like Nintendo logos. Definitely a good alternative to those who want to play the games but don't have an N64 hooked up.

Which is why I want the Microsoft collaboration with Nintendo to be true 😊

Undergoing games:
Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity

Diddy64

@ReaderRagfihs I see your point. As long as I can play the N64 games, I am fine.

Undergoing games:
Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity

Diddy64

@ReaderRagfihs One of the few puzzle games that I enjoyed in N64, is Pokémon Puzzle League. I like how each time you used a 4-blocks attack or higher you could hear your character (Ash, Ritchie, Trace, etc.) shout some words. Also if you made chain combos you could hear different cries from the pokemon you choose. Another thing that I like, is that depending on the pokemon you choose, is the color of the special blocks you send to your opponent. You should try it out. Perhaps you'll like it.

Undergoing games:
Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity

Diddy64

@ReaderRagfihs I see. I didn't know that Pokémon game it originated from Tetris Attack. I was like 8 years back then and at that time, and my family barely knew about video games. I remember playing one Game Boy Advance game that played exactly like Pokémon Puzzle League, though I don't remember if it had that name (Tetris Attack).

Undergoing games:
Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity

Diddy64

@ReaderRagfihs Yes, that's the name of the GBA game (I remember it, now that you mention it). I do also played Dr. Mario 64 and although I like it, it is a game (for me) that if I play for long periods, I lose the interest. I do can play then from time to time but they don't engage me like the 3D games with (and without) puzzles like Zelda, Mario 64, etc. Though I also like some RPG games that have puzzles like Paper Mario and FF Crystal Chronicles 1 and 2.

Undergoing games:
Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity

Diddy64

@BlueOcean have you wanted to make a 3D platformer game? Who knows, maybe you can create a game that can finally rival BK.

Edited on by Diddy64

Undergoing games:
Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity

MarioLover92

@ReaderRagfihs @SamusLv7 Planet Puzzle League was a DS game, the one on the GBA was Dr. Mario & Puzzle League. For Tetris Attack, I think the reason why they used Yoshi's Island characters was because the original Japanese version (Panel de Pon) had fairy characters and Nintendo thought it would just appeal to the girl demographic, so they snuck in Yoshi since he's widely recognizable.

Nintendo Life's self-proclaimed #1 Mario fan!

SMM2 ID: V1J-NRF-PWG
ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioFan92 | Twitter:

gcunit

I'm thinking of picking up a used 64. Anything I should look out for in terms of typical issues that should be avoided? Whenever I see official Nintendo N64 controllers they appear in good nick with no wear on the thumbstick. How does the thumbstick performance hold up? I'm led to believe they get 'looser' with use, but is that a problem or just something you get used to?

Thanks.

Edited on by gcunit

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

1UP_MARIO

@gcunit

you can get them really cheap on eBay but go for a jap ntsc n64 as the games are way cheaper also they run better with no black borders. It’s also quite easy to just replace the sticks on the controller. The gamecube stick mod is great for most games but terrible for games like golden eye. It’s a great system, and for me it’s the best looking Nintendo system
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.eba...
Untitled

Untitled

Untitled
This controllers stick will never get loose

Edited on by 1UP_MARIO

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic