Forums

Topic: NES Classic Edition

Posts 241 to 260 of 408

NaviAndMii

They had a whole load of Wii U's they couldn't shift - but they kept trying for a few years...
...then they stumble upon a console that there's a ton of demand for - and cancel production of it after just a few months.

Go figure.

They should at least open up pre-orders on their official website for, say, a day and satisfy fans' demand - otherwise the eBay sellers will be able to continue to flog them at 'limited edition' prices...

Very poor.

Edited on by NaviAndMii

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

Tasuki

@NaviAndMii @DarthNocturnal The only thing I can figure is that maybe they are discontinuing this model and will be coming out with a NES Classic 2 (kinda like the Atari Flashback) maybe with more games since we know that they are able to hold 500+ games. But then again this is Nintendo so I doubt it.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Eel

It is kinda amazing how stupidly easy it is to hack.

Like... It even comes with all the tools you need. The first "plug and hack".

Maybe it is a bit of the reason they discontinued it. They couldn't find a way to make it safer, and they can't go around selling "my first emulator box" with their seal of quality.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Tasuki

@Meowpheel And by being ignorant and doing the things they are doing like discontinuing it is only going to drive people to further do that. Besides if hacking was such a problem they could just fix it with a firmware update. I mean take the 3DS for example how many firmware updates did that thing have to counter hacking and flashcarts?

My Backlog

Eel

I don't think it would be as easy as that.

For starters you'd need to make the client willingly search online for an update, download it to their computer, connect the system to their computer and manually install the update every time.

Now it wouldn't be that bad if it was a one time thing, but the 3DS shows us how often they like to, erm, stabilize their systems.

You'd have an obscure, cumbersome and seemingly useless routinary process for the regular user, and the equivalent of a big "plz don't hax" sticker on the box for those who plan to hack anyway.

It would basically benefit noone.

As it is, the best fix would be a total redesign and making a new OS with online capabilities to offer automatic system updates... And that's probably more of a waste of resources and time. And it does nothing for the systems already out there in the wild.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Octane

@Ryu_Niiyama I couldn't see people paying more than €60 for amiibo, when you could buy a game for that price instead... It's definitely going to happen.

@Tasuki No, it didn't.

Octane

Tasuki

@Octane Hmm I thought it did. Wasn't it going too then?? Could have sworn that they were going to have like leaderboards and stuff.

My Backlog

Octane

@Tasuki No, I think you're thinking of the Switch VC. Although leaderboards aren't confirmed, Nintendo said they are planning to update NES and SNES titles with ''online play'', whatever that means. But we have no idea if that's exclusive to the paid subscription, or whether that's actually online co-op, or just leaderboards.

Octane

Eel

@DarthNocturnal try buying one from Mexico. I'm not sure if Mexican online shops like mercadolibre.com ship to Canada, but they have some systems for around 3200 pesos, which is around 170 US dollars.

It's still expensive... But a tiny bit cheaper than on eBay. I guess.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

bezerker99

This kills any potential hope that Nintendo will make a Super Nintendo Classic now.............

You could argue that Nintendo is discontinuing the NES Classic in order to improve upon it. That would be great! But I doubt that is what is happening.

Edited on by bezerker99

Grumblevolcano

@DarthNocturnal I'm thinking they may bring back the NES Mini if the Switch has strong holiday 2017 sales. It seems pretty clear that Nintendo doesn't want to compete with itself and given that nostalgia usually wins, if the NES Mini wasn't discontinued it would've done better than the Switch.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Octane

Grumblevolcano wrote:

if the NES Mini wasn't discontinued it would've done better than the Switch.

Highly doubt that...

Octane

Tasuki

@Masurao You're trolling right? I find it hard that you are being serious, either that or you have been living under a rock.

My Backlog

Tasuki

@Grumblevolcano The NES Classic and Switch could co-exist as they are aimed at two different gaming groups. The NES Classic was clearly aimed at retro gamers while the Switch was aimed at modern gamers.

My Backlog

Xyphon22

Just some information/advice for anyone who may want to try. I was at Walmart for mulch today and decided to check the electronics for fun on the off chance they got a sneak shipment. Of course, the case was empty. So I went to ask an associate if they knew if they were going to get any shipments in before they were discontinued. She asked someone who asked someone who said he thought there was one more in the back, which he went to get, and I walked out with their last NES Classic. So just ask even if it looks like they don't have any or if istocknow or any of those other sites say they don't have any. As an aside, there were 3 ladies who worked there who waited with me while the guy went to the back, and they were all saying how shocked they were that it was being discontinued and they were all sad because they wanted one. I was just amazed that the Walmart associates actually knew their stuff and were honest enough to not keep the last one to themselves (although the fact that it was in the back makes me think some other employee was trying to hog it).

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.