Forums

Topic: GBA SP AGS-001 different screen versions?

Posts 1 to 6 of 6

Evil_Hotdog

Hello,

I was wondering if there are different version of the GBA SP ags-001 model?
Recenly bought a new sealed and unused gba sp ags-001 from ebay,
when comparing it to the one I bought way back in 2004 I can notice some differences in screen quality,
even though they are both ags-001.

In particular about the front lighting or reflective screen or whatever you want to call it.
My original one, when viewing the lit screen from above, has some clear vertical lines in the lighting/reflective screen. The new one doesn't have these lines, it's completely smooth.

My original gba colors are less pronounced than the new one. The new one has superior colors and contrast and doesn't look as washed out as the old one. This is only when using the gba front light. When unlit the colors seem the same for both.

However, the new one has this weird 'double image' thing going on, like when reading white text on a black background I see the text reflected upwards for a few pixels, almost like casting a shadow (but with light).
When I light the unlit screen with a flashlight from the bottom this 'double image' thing also becomes noticable.
With my original gba-sp it way less noticable, but it's there (very hard to notice though).
Also with the new one, when using the built in light, I can see some very vague horizontal lines/bands moving up or down depending on the viewing angle, this doesn't happen when it isn't lit.

My guess is it has something to do with the reflective screen? I think there may have been different reflective screens for the gba sp ags-001? Maybe the angle of the reflective screen is a bit off in the new one?

I'm 99,9% sure the new one hasn't been tampered with and is indeed an unused original gba-sp, it looks impeccable.

Glad to hear your thoughts on this!

Edited on by Evil_Hotdog

Evil_Hotdog

megasean

I don't have much hands-on experience with this, but I have been researching used GBA SP models recently. A lot of these "impeccable" ones have replacement cases. Apparently the cases are widely available these days (and for less than $20). It's certainly possible that that machine has been refurbished, though I have no idea about the screen.

3DS: 0834-4562-2419
Wii U/Switch: seandizz

Nintendo Network ID: seandizz

Sisilly_G

There is definitely variability in screen quality between units.

My DS Lite exhibits weird "interlacing" like artefacts that I have never seen on my original DS.

My current Switch (a Let's Go model) also has that problem, as well as three or four dead pixels right out of the box, whereas that wasn't a problem with my launch model Switch.

"Gee, that's really persuasive. Do you have any actual points to make other than to essentially say 'me Tarzan, physical bad, digital good'?"

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

sdelfin

I can't talk about the GBA SP specifically, but Nintendo has had a similar situation with other systems. I know the 3DS had different screen types available at the same time. I have heard of people searching for systems with two IPS screens, as I recall. The GBA SP was a popular model, so it's conceivable they did some revisions or had multiple screen sources which could be the reason for the difference in quality. I ran into a similar situation with laptop keyboards. One model could have several possible keyboards depending on which factory it came out of.

sdelfin

Evil_Hotdog

@megasean

I'd be surprised if it were an aftermarket reshell, I'd even be impressed...
I did some extensive research about the differences between aftermarket shells and OEM,
can't find any sign it would be a fake. Feels the same, looks the same in every little detail, weighs the same...
It could always be a possibility of course... but that would be one hell of a counterfeit.

Evil_Hotdog

Evil_Hotdog

Found a solution for the moving horizontal bands/lines ! Which was my main gripe.

I simply put the battery from my original gba sp in the new one and the moving lines no longer occur.
Guess 15+ years of not using the battery must have done something to it.

Now I only got to find a replacement battery because the old one only lasts for about 3 hours.
Any tips on a good battery replacement? Cheers!

After opening it I can verify it was indeed a completely 'new' gba-SP, which means there are indeed different versions/reviews of the same ags-001 model.

Thanks for your input!

Evil_Hotdog

• Page 1 of 1

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic