Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 8,361 to 8,380 of 11,914

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Huh, that might be their intent. To me the new design doesn't scream power at all so much as minimalism and the console hardware being "invisible." It's a svelte black rectangle with no prominent shapes, accents, colors, textures or features. Just a minimalist small logo that's also a functional button. It's not a large box, has minimal lights, and is quiet. It's the opposite of the very "loud" (in every way) OG XBox. it's like a speaker bar that plays games.

The "Purple Lunchbox" certainly didn't scream power either, yet in both cases, I see them as fairly "invisible" boxes that actually are the most powerful thing around (except the OG XBox topping GCN late in the gen.)

As for Phil's gen discussion....I haven't heard any of that yet, but does that get back to the "no more generations" idea we were all thinking on a year ago?

NEStalgia

Grumblevolcano

To me the new design screams PC when vertical and probably a larger version of the 2013 Xbox One model when put horizontal.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Well, to each their own view, then. But it's the first thing I thought when I saw it: this is a powerhouse console. It needs a big box to process all the heat, and contain all the hardware, and a sleek, thin box probably wouldn't have sufficed, otherwise they'd surely gone with such a design.

Besides the hardware of both parties already being more and more PC like, this box really seals the deal in unifying that idea, so even from a marketing standpoint, I'd say that they've actually made a really smart decision to make it look like that. Just because people have some kind of predisposed notion of what a console should look like, doesn't mean that it actually has to...

And yes, what you mentioned is one of the things that Phil said, but it's not just about there being no more generations. It's all of the quips and quotes that he has been spreading in the media, ever since the first buzz started around Project Scarlett, talking about backwards compatibility, bringing platforms together, allowing scaling of games/entertainment to all supported platforms etc. etc. It all makes perfect sense, both the design or the name, but for now, it's probably still just a bit of an acquired taste for most of us.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX I really am not seeing where everyone things it looks PC like and powerful. When I think powerful gaming PCs I think this:
Untitled

Not this:
Untitled

To me the latter looks like an elegant minimalist consumer appliance only more "trendy" than the DVD-player-like profile of past consoles. The former screams "power" - the latter just looks sleek and invisible to me.

I don't mean that in a negative light - I think that's a good thing, and is something I appreciate about the very similar design language of 1X as well. I just mean I'm not seeing the whole "it signals power" line of thinking when I look at it.

I'm all for that platform unity in either case. Here's hoping we're really getting the "1X is part of Series X family" utopia some of us dreamed of a year ago.

NEStalgia

BruceCM

Thanks, @ThanosReXXX.... I wasn't doubting your info or anything I personally like the idea of having it upright, too, so it certainly won't be a problem for me
It does look rather big in the official poster, so people are worried about it fitting in Perhaps they can reveal it's actual dimensions soon, just to help that?

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Octane

Can you rotate the icon when you lay it on its side? If so, bonus points.

Octane

redd214

@BruceCM the article I read yesterday said its when vertical its about as wide as an Xbone controller and about as tall as 3 stacked up

redd214

Banjo-

I think @NEStalgia got it right (as usually). Besides, my boys, just look at the disc slot. That alone tells you that the Xbox Series X is small. There is also a controller next to the console which is very likely the same size as the Xbox One controller. I think that they created a rectangular but more cubic console to optimise cooling -probably more traditional cooling than the sophisticated cooling of X- and noise, that must have been the number one priority. I think that the name is to reflect X's success and "Series" to announce a family of consoles like the Series X All-Digital Edition. Yes, sorry, but they will release that. The name might me confusing and we could talk until November 2020 about it but if it's as well-built as X that will make it the best hardware again because X certainly is, not just because of its power but mostly because of how quiet, efficient and elegant it is. And it has the best controller, too.

EDIT: LOL I just read this which is exactly what I just said:

To Spencer’s point, the Series X design makes sense from an engineering standpoint. In an effort to make the console “disappear” into your entertainment center, Microsoft designed it to be as quiet as possible: with a single, large fan pushing high volumes of air out of the top. Spencer and Ronald confidently told me that the Series X systems in their homes are no louder than xbox One X, which is to say, not noticeably audible when sitting couch-distance away from your TV. “There’s always this tension between design and the kind of acoustics and cooling and function of the console,” Spencer explained, “and we were not going to compromise on function. I’m just incredibly impressed with the design that they came back with".

"Certainly, the name Series X also indicates that there might be other series of next-gen Xboxes in the future".

https://truemedian.com/2019/12/13/goodbye-project-scarlett-he...

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

redd214

redd214 wrote:

@BruceCM the article I read yesterday said its when vertical its about as wide as an Xbone controller and about as tall as 3 stacked up

Based on this the console probably measures roughly 7" X 7" X 13" give or take. Not really all that big at all

redd214

Banjo-

Yeah looks compact and that article says it's as quiet as an Xbox One X. To be honest, at first I didn't know what to think about the design because I wasn't expecting that shape but it makes sense, it's also elegant and it's also compact and quiet like the X. Yeah, you might think gosh isn't that huge? But it's small, really, look at the disc slot and the controller.

Banjo-

Anti-Matter

If we remembered last time, Xbox Scarlett have two version: Anaconda (Traditional console) and Lockhart (Digital only)
So Xbox X = Anaconda type and what about Lockhart type ?

Anti-Matter

Banjo-

@Anti-Matter There will be cheaper versions. For sure, there will be an All-Digital Edition and probably a lower-specs console or just a combination of the two, an All-Digital Edition with lower specifications. You'll have to wait and see.

Banjo-

Dezzy

redd214 wrote:

You can probably calculate the exact size of it by using the disc slot as a metric, given that those are of a known size.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Banjo-

@Dezzy I was comparing my X with the photos of Series X. The disc slot is the key because the controller depends on the perspective and the new controller is slightly smaller. Taking this into account, the Series X is a bit wider than X, definitely shorter and length is definitely smaller too. So it's like an X but smaller yet wider. Quite compact indeed. The top is interestingly not flat but concave.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

Dezzy

BlueOcean wrote:

The top is interestingly not flat but concave.

That's a good way of reminding people that you're not supposed to put other things on top of it.

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Boy, would you be a bad marketeer/sales guy, because I positively HATE those flashy neon light tube PC cases. The more modern take on Power rigs is minimalism, so in my view, Spencer is hitting the nail on the head. And some are already nicknaming it "The Monolith" and if that's a reference to 2001: A Space Odyssey, which it probably is, then it most definitely does the job of exuding power to a large part of the general audience.

But yes, making it disappear is also EXACTLY one of the whole points of the design: black, matte finish, quiet fan, etc. They're making a large push for the games, so they're going to make it all about that, as they already should have done last gen/this gen, but water under the bridge and all that.

Have you checked out the link that I posted? It's actually an interesting read. If not, here it is:
https://www.theverge.com/2019/12/13/21020046/microsoft-xbox-o...
Saves you the trouble of having to browse to the previous page...

@BruceCM I didn't think you were doubting me, but in general, I do like to let people know that I'm not talking out of the wrong end, so I often like to add information that people can verify, just in case...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Dezzy

Eel wrote:

<stares at the amiibo I have on top of my xbox one>

My monitor sits on top of my Xbox. I've the One S version though so the left-hand side of the top is covered anyway. Fans on the right-hand side and down the edges.

Grumblevolcano

Judging by XB1, we'll probably have 3 types:

• Xbox Series X
  • Xbox Series S
  • Xbox Series SAD

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic