Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 3,181 to 3,200 of 11,914

NEStalgia

@DarthNocturnal Hmm, maybe the XBox login stays connected, and maybe Forza just uses that, so maybe MS isn't doing it as badly as other companies. Ubisoft and EA games definitely are always-online DRM (on PS4, just going to the system settings or loading another app enough to push the game to a suspend state disconnects you and boots you to the title screen.)

@ThanosReXXX It's the machine. The genuine X360 applies minimal AA, so it allows jaggies to show up all over. Sharp, but jagged. PS3 applied heavy handed AA and smeared Vaseline all over the screen. X1 playing 360 games seems to do the latter. The advantage is it's very well anti-aliased. No jaggies in sight anymore. The disadvantage....is the vaseline.... Sitting far from your screen you may not see it. Sit in front of the screen and it's so smeary. It's not a "fault" of the X1, it's arguably doing it the technically ideal way, though I do wish like good hardware scalers you could set the sharpening filter to counteract that. It's just annoying since I preferred 360 to PS3 last gen largely because of that AA difference

EA and MS have had a similar shared agenda and shared management team for some time. EA and MS are in it together. The agendas for subscriptions, online persistence, guiding the direction gaming and the business model overall, no mistake, those two are tag teaming. Ubisoft does their own strange things...but then, they're French.... I'm surprised they've got it so wrong so often though on this stuff. It's a shame, they make amazing games, and manage to hamstring them always. They have one foot in Nintendo's mindset and one foot in EA's and they can't seem to figure out which way to go.

As for disc and digital (I'm not saying this from the perspective of someone pushing digital, but rather someone despairing from the state of physical), if you get your game on disc without the patches, odds are you can't play it because it didn't even include the whole game, and likely doesn't actually work at all. How many games now ship with half or less of the actual data on that disc, require online DRM (which may be breakable, illegally in the US, though, it should be noted), and typically filled with game breaking bugs. I'm not pro digital, and I'm not anti-physical. But my point is, as of 2018's current games, there's actually very little difference between the two. Remember the disastrous X1 launch DRM plan? The publishers found a way to endrun the change and implement that more or less anyway. The discs are, inceasingly, just unlock keys/dongles for the digital game, and a download booster pack. It's a disgrace. No way at all I'd have bought an X1 without fiber. Sony-land is still a LITTLE more palatable in that regard thanks to their first parties. But I'm under no illusion that most of these games will function on either platform, first party aside, 10 years from now.

Heck, even your back-compat depends on the online service if you're not using an actual X360!

Very valid point about X1 just being a Win10 PC though. The app support is quite different than PS4.

Haha, controllers. Yeah...once you try the good ones it's hard to go back (Admittedly it's easier to go back from an Elite than a Razer, IMO. It's just the plain controller sticks with fancy software and metal bits, and some customizable ergonomics...inside it's still the same 1S controller (infamously cheap sticks and all), where the razer is actual high res analogs and tactile mechanical face buttons. Though the 4 extra buttons on both are nice. One thing for me that doesn't seem to apply to you though is the reinforced stick collars that don't grind the stick stem to white powder over time and get rough. Never had a stick fail due to the powder, though.)

So right now I have a Scorpio Edition stock controller I don't want to use (and destroy) since it's an LE (and already has a port that won't charge the Play & charge). A half price used Elite with a drifting stick I can compensate with a broad deadzone, and the king of all controllers, the Wolverine. But it's wired. So I either need to love the ailing elite, get a new elite (v2?) , or get another stock controller if I want to go wireless

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Hm, well, I've personally always loathed the whole "Vasoline-smeared" statement, hated it when people said it about the Wii U Game Pad screen, because I thought that looked (and still looks) simply beautiful, and in the Xbox One with older games, I simply don't see it either, so it all feels so over-exaggerated to me. I could only grant you that lines look softer, indeed because of the more advanced (or actually present) AA, but smeared, much less Vasoline-smeared, absolutely not.

And I also don't see that when I step closer to my TV screen. What I see is smoother lines, crisper image, better colors and more steady frame rates. All in all, a better experience.

We agree on MS/EA, which is why I said that it is just as much on EA as on MS, so no argument there, and as such, we can skip that point.

As for the older backward compatible games: that's why I still have my Xbox 360. I never sell or trade in any console. I have only ever done it once, with my first home computer, and I've regretted it ever since, so from that day on, I have never done it again. But even if I would only have had an Xbox One S, then modding would again be the solution: I'll have to use the example of the Xbox 360 again, in which the mod chip allows for copied/burned discs to be read as official game discs, and those can also be installed, so I'd imagine that they could also get that to work on the Xbox One, in which you would be able to download the games from a dedicated server or something similar. Or simply patch it to be able to install from disc. (although I don't think the latter is possible, because the downloaded OG Xbox games are completely different from the original, software-wise)

As for controllers: you know, on the Xbox 360, I always wanted to buy that high end controller some day, the one with the re-configurable D-pad, but in the end, I never bothered with it, mainly because of the price, same as with the Xbox One's Elite controller.
Untitled
That one came in all kinds of colors as well. I actually wanted this one or the red metallic one. The cross on the D-pad could be raised or lowered/depressed, depending on your own preference.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

ThanosReXXX

@NaviAndMii That's a nice thing indeed. Although you'd always have to wonder if a company does nice things, it must at least also partially be because there's a decent enough market there for them to get a profit out of it...

But still good news for the people that could benefit from such controllers nonetheless.

@NEStalgia Well, there you go: @DarthNocturnal came up with some pretty good examples of non-DRM ridden/always online games, so all is not lost just yet...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Dezzy

State of Decay 2 is at about 70 on metacritic.

Mannn, it's almost as if Xbox asked their first parties to aim for average games. They're consistently getting really average scores.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Two different vaselines. The WiiU one wasn't actaully blurring, it was the actual resistive touch surface overlaid. That does provide a "different" appearance to a screen but it's a physical screen filter. I never really noticed it on WiiU either (at least not until Mario Maker made me trace all over it where tiny scratches would develop over time ), but the FSAA definitely softens the image heavily. On every platform. (even the way most EMUs work for SNES games and such.) The softening just bugs me. Always has. I tend to prefer sharpening at the cost of noise/jaggies to the softening of images. Many consider it better, but I usually don't.

The back compat games really aren't installing off the disc though, some data I believe is, but the actual code is presumably totally recompiled for X1. Or at least modified. I suppose if you get a copy of someone's downloaded data onto a disc maybe it would work? X1 at least has a legit file manager. Though, again, from a US perspective, that knd of stuff goes from illegal to illegaler. I know EU is a bit more open with that sort of thing, but the console modders that would then burn discs with modified versions of software are pretty much equal with people sending kraked versions of Forza here, so "legally" you're dependent on the MS servers for back compat either way. I don't really go for the "it's only illegal if you get caught" mentality

@DarthNocturnal. Wow. So Ubisoft is actually WORSE than EA now with DRM. That's....impressive. My favorite is on PS4 it tells you you need to log into UPlay. On X1 it tells you you have free rewards you can redeem at Club Ubisoft. If you cancel and don't allow it to switch to the app, it just throws you to the title screen....

@ThanosRexxx OTOH can you play those off the disc with no patches or initial login?

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@NaviAndMii I saw that, though my cynicism meter kicks in and thinks "we're aiming for fat education/healthcare purchasing contracts!"

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

Peek-a-boo

@Dezzy I quite liked the first game, janky gameplay and all however, the sequel seems to be even worse.

Eurogamer gave their first ‘avoid’ review of the year with SoD2...

A soggy open-world loot-'em-up with catastrophic bugs.

And GameCentral (Metro) gave it a 4/10 ~ “The graphics are terrible, the artificial intelligence is almost non-existent, and it’s so full of bugs it’s like visiting the insect house at London Zoo.”

For all this talk of the worlds most powerful hardware for the past half dozen pages or so, their most recent games - both Sea of Thieves and State of Decay 2 - are clearly unfinished.

I fear it’ll be a three for three with Crackdown 3...

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

NaviAndMii

@ThanosReXXX @NEStalgia Haha! Yeah...I'm sure this wasn't an accessory designed purely out of the kindness of their hearts! (Many of the major news outlets over here in the UK are going with the controller reveal as their 'good news story of the day' too - so they've certainly generated a good amount of positive brand identity and free advertising off the back of it! ..and it's very versatile product - so would have a fairly broad market appeal!)

Still, seeing the controller in use by those it was built for was enough to warm even my cynical old heart! Such a smart idea too - players can have the buttons/triggers/sticks arranged whichever way feels right for a truly 'custom' and comfortable gaming experience - and it looks like it works really, really well...what a time to be alive!

Edited on by NaviAndMii

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

Peek-a-boo

@DarthNocturnal If I remember correctly, it was one of the few Xbox Live Arcade Games that was 1600 points (remember those?), and I believe this worked out to $20.00/€19.20/£13.60 at the time.

I feel like State of Decay 2 should have carried on this pricing tradition instead of upping the price to 50% across the board. This is why I kind of enjoyed the original game, because it was cheap-ish enough to ‘forgive’ the numerous bugs, janky gameplay and the iffy frame rate. Fun, but clunky!

My friend has six months worth of GamePass up until the end of August so, I may have a toy around with the sequel at some point, but I shall keep my expectations in check after the surprisingly critical reviews.

Peek-a-boo

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia No, no my friend. My rule is there is no such thing as Vaseline smeared at ALL.
As I said before: it's WAY too over-exaggerated for my taste.

About those backward compatible games: that's EXACTLY what I said, except I specifically mentioned OG Xbox games. Seeing as the GwG Xbox 360 games are downloadable both on Xbox 360 AND Xbox One, I don't think they're keeping two versions of each game on the server, whereby one version is specifically tailored to work on the Xbox One. If I remember correctly, the Xbox One is more or less rebooted with a small emulator front end, that puts the Xbox One in a "real"/hardware-wise Xbox 360 mode, so it actually thinks (and acts like) it is an Xbox 360.

And you apparently also missed me explaining how that would work with downloading games: either the mod chip will allow you to install from disc, so no illegal downloads there, or the people providing the mod chip and related service, also offer a dedicated server for download. Oh, and a crucial thing that I actually DID forget to mention: modding makes the console region free, so you could potentially download from outside the US, where it's indeed still very much a gray area...

The part where I mentioned the drive being able to read/install burned discs, was about discs that you yourself download. ISO's of Xbox 360 games have been available for download for almost a decade already. Hackers only ever offer downloads for just about any console/handheld you can name, most of which you can either copy to a drive/SD card, or burn to a disc.

Car boot sales for copied audio and game discs have long since gone the way of the dinosaur...

Far as those Xbox 360 on Xbox One graphics are concerned, I think you're just a bit (too much) of a nitpicker, and I don't think you're the norm. Most people I know and most reviews/web articles I've read are all positive about older gen games on the Xbox One, so I'd say scrutinize less, throw away that microscope and just enjoy those games...

Having said that, though, have you already explored all graphics settings?
There's quite a few variables you could try, or even a complete calibration for your specific screen:
https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/console/adjust-displa...

And here are some other tips for graphics, one in specific for PUBG. Maybe it also works for other games.
And the last link sounds just like your cup of tea...
https://www.gamepur.com/news/28120-how-access-pubg-hidden-gra...
https://www.windowscentral.com/12-days-tech-tips-get-most-out...
https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-one-graphics
https://segmentnext.com/2017/11/08/xbox-one-x-guide-to-turnin...
https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinmurnane/2018/03/04/why-choo...

As for being able to play the games that @DarthNocturnal listed without initial login: beats me, since I haven't got any of these games. Maybe he can tell you, since he was the one mentioning them in the first place...

But how about that Xbox One special needs controller, huh? Talk about Elite...

@NaviAndMii You cynical and old? While I can imagine British shenanigans like Brexit and so on making one feel rather cynical at times, and maybe a bit older than your actual calendar age, I would seriously have to wonder where that leaves me, at 48...

Grumblevolcano

Whenever Xbox Live Arcade is brought up, 1 vs. 100 comes to mind because of the prizes and ingame ads (remember Trials HD and N+?). I still miss that game even though it stopped over 8 years ago.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Aw, man.... You're actually transporting us back a couple of pages.
The whole tuna thing was already done and dusted. On with the actual show. Penalty points for derailment...

EDIT:
You've even confused the thread itself, with your canned shenanigans. Just look at what happened to the page numbers after I posted the above comment:
Untitled

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX That screenshot looks a little fishy to me.

Also, I see you didn't call out @DarthNocturnal for the custom controller design purchase! At least MY special controllers have extra buttons and customization!

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Didn't doctor/shop the screenshot if that's what you're implying...
Whole site went wild on me a couple of times today, such as with not reacting to "Post reply", resulting in me clicking that button multiple times and all of a sudden seeing my comment posted 4 times and all that kind of stuff, so this one page thread glitch was probably also a part of it...

And he didn't buy the controller (or did he?), he just posted info to show that it is coming. I don't think it's even available yet. But I read up on it, and it has FAR more customization options than any other controller. There's all kind of appendages that you can add to it's several connection ports, so those extra buttons are accounted for...

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Well, then, that's just a whole other kettle of fish.

I get the crazy unresponsive site thing from time to time myself. One time it had me decipost. NL has a life of it's own sometimes...

Nono, not the accessibility controller, the Sea of Thieves limited edition one. I mean that's just graphics on a plain old controller. The Elite gives you 4 extra buttons and a better D-pad, and the Wolverine gives you honest to goodness mechanical buttons and high res analog And it's only twice the money!

(Seriously, though, I love my wireless controllers, but dang that Wolverine is nice, cord and all. I have the Razer Raiju (PS4) which is similar, and nice, but the Wolverine just really refined the ergonomics. Best game controller I've ever used, bar none. I still prefer wireless for hanging back, but I played with the Elite for a while on For Honor and AC:O, then picked up the Wolverine and it was just kind of "wow". The "flat" d-pad is a little iffy, but the 4-way is nicer than Sony's. Elite still wins for best D-pad though. (Still waiting for Elite 2.0.... ))

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Sea of Thieves controller? I thought we were talking about the special abilities controller, since @DarthNocturnal NaviAndMii brought that up. Must have missed the bit about the Sea of Thieves one.

But like the Elite, I'm currently not interested in that either, and more than likely never will be, nor in the game itself. It's the kind of game that seems to me is only fun to play with a lot of people, and I don't do anonymous online multiplayer, so if none of my friends are buying this, then neither am I.

You know what the first thing was when I saw that special abilities controller? I though it looked a hell of a lot like a DJ turn table, so it could just as well have posed as one of those DJ Hero peripherals...

So... about all those handy links I posted for you: have you already tried some of these graphics settings, and that Xbox 360 performance vs graphics setting? Might just help to give you your much coveted jaggies back...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

ThanosReXXX

@DarthNocturnal Ah, yes. You're absolutely right, it was NaviAndMii. My bad...

NaviAndMii

ThanosReXXX wrote:

@NaviAndMii You cynical and old? While I can imagine British shenanigans like Brexit and so on making one feel rather cynical at times, and maybe a bit older than your actual calendar age, I would seriously have to wonder where that leaves me, at 48...

Haha! Yeah, it's probably Brexit...an inconvenient truth that's even infiltrating my games! (Football Manager 2018 Touch on Switch - below)

Untitled

Ugh! ..I thought that games were supposed to be a form of escapism?!

(Plus, I've had my young nephew over in the last few days - running rings around me! ..his youthful enthusiasm and care-free lifestyle is enough to make anyone feel 'old'! )

Edited on by NaviAndMii

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic