Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 6,041 to 6,060 of 16,083

Dezzy

@Octane

Cool, well by the time they've finished adding new stuff to the game, PSVR will be really cheap, so I'll try it.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Octane

@Dezzy Haha, at this rate, Kingdom Hearts III will be out before the VR mode; ''before 2020''.

Octane

TuVictus

Damn, Sony. You conference was average but over the past few days you've been showing your PS2 era arrogance. Especially with that backwards compatibility thing. And now this. Which is ironic because usually it seemed like Sony was the more open of the three in terms of cross-play.

Why Microsoft still hasn't managed to nab FF14 is beyond me, but I wish Nintendo could get in on that

TuVictus

Peek-a-boo

@Octane Historically, apart from Ghosts of Sparta on the PSP, which was released worldwide back in November 2010, every single God of War game has come out in March.

Thus, I expect (and hope) that this tradition continues!

Just as a rough idea, I'd imagine that Spider-Man comes out before E3 this time next year, in May or June.

Days Gone seems like something that would be released between God of War and Spider-Man, whereas Detroit: Become Human eludes me altogether. It could be as early as February (which is the month when Heavy Rain came out) or some time during the busy lead up to Christmas, given that Beyond: Two Souls was originally released in late October. Who knows!

No idea about the Shadow of the Colossus Remake however, it would be a nice anniversary of sorts if it was out in October when Shadow of the Colossus was first available in Japan in 2005. I am also hoping that they will stick to the usual prices of £30/€35/$40 for their remakes and HD collections.

The main thing is, unless you are a picky/fussy kind of person, there won't be a time where you would find yourself starved of games to play. I've got two games on the go at the moment; Tekken 7 and WipEout Omega Collection before Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy comes out.

Feels like stepping back in time, playing those games.

@IceClimbers While I am not going to stand on a pedestal to defend Sony and their numerous daft reasons for continuing to bow out of the handful of games that allows for cross-play with other platforms, I do honestly believe that if Microsoft and/or Nintendo were the dominant market leader, I genuinely think they would both decline the opportunity to do so too.

Peek-a-boo

Octane

@Peek-a-boo That makes sense. I've been thinking about SOTC. Since the PS3 already got a remaster, I'm wondering if this remake is more than a remake. The original game was supposed to have 48 colossi, this was later cut down to 24, but only 16 of them made it in the final game. We don't know anything about the first 24 that were cut, but the 8 colossi that were later removed are still partially in the game's code. The models exist, there was even an artbook that contained the original 24 colossi. So I'm wondering if they could implement those in the game... Who knows? If that's true, then I expect a late 2018 release. If not, I could see it being a January or February release like Gravity Rush (1 and 2).

Octane

Octane

Uncharted: Lost Legacy is reportedly just as long as the first Uncharted. Around 8-10 hours. That's pretty long for a project that started as Uncharted 4 DLC!

Days Gone is also putting heavy emphasis on survival. The demo at E3 is the same as the demo during the press conference, but at a different time of day and with different weather (snow). And it plays completely different as a result. Your motorcycle can break and there was even an indication of a gas meter. AI of the zombies is apparently impressive as well. They move in groups throughout the world and are actively searching for food and the devs put a heavy emphasis on learning their behaviour and routines. All of this is music to my ears!

Octane

Dezzy

Days Gone looks like the best highly unoriginal game ever made.

Haruki_NLI

@Dezzy Days Gone...my mind keeps coming back to it and I cant work out why.

It looks good (Albeit that's something Ill get into in a moment), and I'm sure technically its fine, but...eh? It's got zombies. Its gots lots on screen at once. Its nothing we haven't seen before.

Days Gone lacks a hook, I think that's what it is. Its so horribly...I don't want to say boring but....tired. Its a tired thing. It's not selling itself. It's not giving me a reason to care because it is what it is.

Going back to how it looks though...Sony, please. Do one thing. I know Naughty Dog is great, but your first party studios are better than this. There comes a point where stuff blends and it showed at this E3. If The Last of Us was at this show you could have told me everything was made by Naughty Dog.

Horizon, God of War, Uncharted, The Last of Us, Days Gone...all similar aesthetic and while each has its own unique theme, the games visually aren't quite as distinct as maybe they can be.

I think I've found why the conference bored me and why PS4 is looking rather dull.

We know Sony can do more. They can have much greater variety aesthetically and in gameplay. But they aren't. They are doubling down on what lifted the PS3 and while that's great, it's starting to show that in house studios are...well...doing what Naughty Dog did.

Sony isn't really standing out from some of the stuff EA and Ubisoft showed as much anymore, that's more worrying. It's IP all used to be distinct but now it's....I don't know whats going on with them right now.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Dezzy

BLP_Software wrote:

Its nothing we haven't seen before.

Who else has used flocking AI for zombies to that extent?

Haruki_NLI

@Dezzy Not to that extent but Left 4 Dead 2 had hordes flock like that to noise. Not in such great numbers but the concept isnt new. Underused but not new.

Now if you wabt to talk about the fact its yet more zombies...

Dezzy

@BLP_Software

I don't even really remember L4D. Only played the first one briefly. I just don't remember it being anywhere near this level of sophistication.

Octane

Dezzy wrote:

Days Gone looks like the best highly unoriginal game ever made.

I'll give you that. It doesn't do a lot of new things apart from the giant hordes of zombies (or freakers I believe). But I love survival games and I don't mind zombies. The Last of Us is one of my favourite games, and in a way, this is an open-world Last of Us. I don't know, I just like the concept behind the game, and it's one of my most anticipated games at the moment.

On the topic of the zombie hordes. I believe I read that last year's demo had more than a 1,000 freakers in that scene. Not all of them were on screen at once, but still. I don't think we've seen something like this before in any other game.

Octane

Haruki_NLI

@Octane If there was a thousand then it would probably be rendered more like a crowd simulation, where its a group of models with generic animations and one huge hitbox.

Chances are its designed to allow ones to break off and destroys some when in combat, but not all of them will be rendered and they wont all be individual instances with their own AI. That'd just cause a fire. :/

@Dezzy L4D2 was...2008? I think? But yeah they had similar stuff. Not "Thousands" but each was an individual enemy and the reacted accordingly.

Haruki_NLI

@Octane And theres a thousand? I don't believe that, not even on PS4. Sorry. Sounds like an exaggeration.

Jaxxdesachs

use signatures to advertise links, please. -Joey

Edited on by Joeynator3000

Jaxxdesachs

Peek-a-boo

@Octane Only just caught up with your SotC post, and while I highly doubt that there will be a new colossi - or colossuses - there is one thing that may give us reasons to be optimistic about additional content. Fumito Ueda was interviewed by Famitisu back in August 2012, and he had this to say:

There were some grander ideas, such as changing Shadow's ending or adding some of the colossi that got cut from the original, and honestly having features like that would've been attractive from a business perspective.

If we put just a few extras in, though, gamers would naturally expect more than what we could provide. Instead of just putting in a few half-baked things, I thought it'd be better to stick with the original concept of staying faithful to the base work.

If I get another chance in the future to do a remake, I might wind up changing quite a lot more.

Interesting!

Also, somebody did a (fairly rough) comparison video between the original PlayStation 2 version and the Shadow of the Colossus Remake; it looks cleaner, more detailed and smoother in terms of movement. It has lost some of the gloomy haze that lingers however, I would put that down to the hardware at the time.

Here you go:

In other news, for those who thought the Sony E3 conference was a little bit tame compared to previous years, Yoshida said that they held back a number of PlayStation 4 exclusives (for other events this year):

"There are things we have held [back],” Yoshida laughed. “We chose not to show those at E3 2017, but there will be some more news coming out from our teams later this year. No question.”

The interview can be found on the Push Square website.

p.s. I'm starting to think that they consider their own show, PSX, in December, more important than E3. It doesn't sound so crazy when The Last of Us Part II was chosen to be revealed at PSX (instead of E3).

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

TuVictus

I'm just wondering if I'm gonna get free Store money from the three theater experience passes I accidentally took on my way in

TuVictus

Dezzy

BLP_Software wrote:

@Octane And theres a thousand? I don't believe that, not even on PS4. Sorry. Sounds like an exaggeration.

There are various hardware tricks to achieve such things. The bottleneck in graphics is the number of "drawcalls" the CPU sends to the GPU. A separate drawcall being needed for each independent object in the game.
You can get around that with techniques like "geometry instancing" which is a way of telling the graphics card to reuse the same geometry multiple times. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geometry_instancing

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic