Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 5,301 to 5,320 of 16,083

TuVictus

As someone that just got a decent gaming pc, I still find myself in love with the PS4 pro hardware. I find myself more comfortable with the controller than the keyboard and mouse / Xbox one controller on pc.

That said, switching ff14 from ps4 to pc was such an amazing decision.

I think I'll get all multiplayer focuses AAA games on ps4 for a while longer. At least until I have more pc friends

TuVictus

Ralizah

@NEStalgia Haha. A backlog is such a stupid thing to have, if you think about it. Mine is enormous. That's why I'm committed to not adding to mine anymore. I'll only buy a game if I plan on playing it to completion when I get it. I fudged a bit on that for Switch when I got Blaster Master, but the game is short. I'll finish it before I finish BotW (I expect a main plot-focused playthrough to last me another ten or fifteen hours, totaling 70+ hours for an extremely incomplete initial playthrough. Usually spending 40+ hours on a Zelda game exhausts me, and I have to take long breaks before I finish it, but the time is really flying with this one. I feel like I've barely spent any time with the game, but my Switch is telling me I'm around the 60 hour mark now). It means I've had to miss the boat on a lot of fantastic Playstation games, but, the way I figure it, by the time I get around to picking them up, most of them should be significantly reduced in price.

And yeah, if Persona 5 wasn't a Playstation exclusive, I probably wouldn't even own a PS4. I CAN'T miss that game, though. The announcement of Gravity Rush 2 pushed me over the edge, in that regard.

@Operative2-0 I like the Dualshock 4 as well. Thankfully, Steam natively supports that controller now, so no need to mess with third-party software. I also use a Steam controller. And keyboard+mouse. It's the plethora of options that make PC such an attractive option for me.

If you're big into multiplayer games, though, I can see sticking with your console. I've had a few friends who stuck with Microsoft's hardware for that very reason (well, that, and Xbox achievements, since trophy systems are apparently important to a lot of people).

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Peek-a-boo

Apologies for changing the subject however, with the exception of Persona 5, the majority of the big hitters (on PlayStation) are now out of the way.

I imagine most of you may well say 'I am still playing so-and-so' or 'something-something before clearing my backlog' to consider buying any new games in the (thankfully) quieter upcoming months.

I feel awful when I realise I have too much to play...

I am currently going though Horizon Zero Dawn, albeit slowly. Only done 12-odd hours or so so far.

Still got the following to start/complete:

• Hitman: The Complete First Season (was a kind and unexpected Christmas gift)
  • Night in the Woods (I haven't even started this yet...)
  • Resident Evil VII and its "banned footage" DLC chapters
  • Stardew Valley (made a good start, but I abruptly stopped in the New Year)

With these on the way from Kickstarter or pre-ordered on the PlayStation store (20% off* for PS+ members):

• Knights & Bikes (Kickstarter)
  • PaRappa the Rapper Remastered*
  • What Remains of Edith Finch*
  • Yooka-Laylee (Kickstarter)

I suppose Shenmue III counts too, but I very much doubt we'll end up playing that this year.

And Breath of the Wild on my hibernating Wii U.

Oh man. There really is such a thing as 'too many games'!

:EDIT: I had completely forgotten about the third episode of The Walking Dead: A New Frontier as well as the second and final part of the DLC for Dark Souls III, 'The Ringed City', both of which are due out in two weeks time.

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

NEStalgia

@Ralizah It's funny, we all know backlogs are stupid and we all have one I think I keep one though because the depth of it fluctuates. During game droughts there's time to dig into them, and then when I do I find that 2-3 of them get tossed right out due to being broken messes, having massive patches I don't feel like messing with, or just being awful games. I often don't play a game to completion unless I really love the game. Most games wear off on me after a few hours, once it starts getting to frustrating bosses or repetition I'll lose interest and move on having certainly had my money's worth of fun after 15, 20 hours. Games I truly love and feel invested in the characters I'll keep grinding to complete it. Few games drive me to that extreme. Other games are easy enough they don't need that extreme. I might sound like I have no attention span, but I'll have you know I played Project X Zone to the very end! The very belabored endless to arrive at end I didn't get as far in the second though, having been worn out from the original.

Yeah this Zelda, even TP the hours racked up but not as much as this one! At least with Playstation most games DO drop in price. I get my Amazon discount at preorder so it's a lot less compelling to wait, but multiplats are so valueless these days there's almost no reason. 1st and second party games though, tend to depreciate below the preorder bonus much much much slower, so it pays to snag it up front, and half the games I want end up out of print so if I don't buy them at launch I'm out of luck! That's more for Nintendo though.

Hehe, yeah, well I had to get a P4 for Uncharted (couldn't let poor Drake's story go unfinished!") and R&C (which oddly I never bought on this platform!) Gravity rush was a must. I thought Last Guardian would be a must, but I figure, you know the giraffe or the kid has got to bite the dust by the end and I didn't want to experience that Horizon's a nice bonus. But P5 is the reason for the console. Just don't know when I'll tear myself away from Switch to play it (and my RPG backlog on 3DS is IMMENSE.)

I still don't understand the importance of trophy systems. I know some people swear by them, but I've never once understood the appeal. Even in games that have the trophies built in like Color Splash, Tokyo Mirage, etc I just ignore that whole section....nothing interesting there at all. I know it's supposed to be a selling point. My mind just doesn't work that way I guess

@Operative2-0 I gave up PC gaming long ago, but I'll give it one thing: Keyboard + mouse is the absolute only acceptable way to play a shooter Controllers and sticks are simply AWFUL as is relying on auto-aim to make them work. That's why Splatoon is so nice, it's free-form aiming without aim assist because it uses the gyros like an airmouse! I cringe when I pick up any console shooter after Splatoon. Motion controls or bust for that!

NEStalgia

Ralizah

I guess one of my issues is that it takes me a long time to play through even a relatively short game unless I'm excited about it. A 30 hour game I'm just vaguely enjoying can take me months, whereas I cleared 100+ hours in SMT IV: Apocalypse in two weeks. I too kind of drop games when I get bored with them. It's why I've never completed Xenoblade Chronicles in any of its forms.

I need to finish Zelda soon and give myself some off-gaming time before Persona releases, because I don't want to go from one gaming obsession to another without some time to read a book or two and contemplate things.

And yeah, there's never a reason to wait on a Nintendo game if I want it, considering the good ones never drop in price.

@Peek-a-boo I don't think the rest of 2017 will be too quiet just because Q1 was so front-loaded with big games. We still have Mass Effect: Andromeda (Snigger), South Park: The Fractured But Whole, Persona 5, Danganronpa V3, Yakuza Kiwami, Crash Bandicoot, etc. to look forward to sans E3 reveals, and you know Sony will have at least a few surprises there. That's not even considering stuff like Yooka-Laylee, Puyo Puyo Tetris, etc.

Nevertheless, I expect to spend all year playing catch up on PS4 thanks to this recent explosion of software.

Octane

@Ralizah Yup, that was the walking animation I was talking about.. Don't care if it's an RPG or not. TW3 released two years ago and that looked a lot better. There's no excuse for this. I can't imagine EA is looking at this and thinks; ''Alright, looks fine, we're done!''

@Peek-a-boo I was going to ask what you think of NITW. I haven't bought it yet, but I've played the ''prequel'' chapters on my PC, and they kinda bored me to be honest.. I hope the actual game is more interesting..

Going slowly through HZD too, I've played about 20 or 30 hours I think. Still playing Zelda as well; I can face Ganon any time, but I want to ''complete'' the rest of the world first. By the way, haven't you started Zelda yet? I highly recommend you do so. Maybe after you're done with HZD though, because playing them at the same time makes you realise the faults in both games..

Octane

Dezzy

Anyone getting the next Dark Souls 3 DLC then?

To be honest, it isn't really wooing me very much. Looks fairly average. But they are releasing a GOTY edition next month so I'll probably get that.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Peek-a-boo

@Dezzy Felt like I was the only one who played 'Ashes of Ariandel' (on here) last October: - https://www.nintendolife.com/forums/other_gaming/dark_souls_ii...

It was remarkably average, and very disappointing overall, considering how good the DLC areas usually are. The whole trek through the snowfield, across the rope bridge and the climb up the stone staircase inside the little castle took me no longer than four hours in total, which is extremely short for a Dark Souls add-on.

I'm looking forward to 'The Ringed City' though, if only for it to (hopefully) bring the series to a proper closure as well as going through the usual Dark Souls tropes of dying over and over again!

Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

@Octane I was a backer for the 'Night in the Woods' Kickstarter project, and whilst I had a quick 10-15 minutes play around yesterday evening (which isn't a particularly long time to gauge a concrete impression TBH), it does have an awful lot of charm and the art style is thoroughly pleasing to the eyes.

The dialogue too is excellent; very witty, which is great for someone who appreciates dry humour like me.

I'll get back to you when I begin the game for good!

Oh, and the Gran Turismo Sport beta is really, really good!

Untitled

The LaFerrari, Lamborghini Veneno and Bugatti Veyron are confirmed in the game as of yesterday too.

I haven't played Gran Turismo since the fourth one a shy over thirteen years ago on the PlayStation 2!

Peek-a-boo

GrailUK

@Peek-a-boo Gran Turismo looks real!!!! (oh, apart from the reflections on the cars)

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

Ralizah

At this point, I'm strongly considering the possibility that people are just taking videos of real cars and saying they're clips of GT to screw with me.

Dezzy

@Peek-a-boo

I didn't play it purely because I wanted the GOTY edition! With games like Dark Souls what I do is buy them on day 1, complete them within a few weeks, sell them on ebay at 90% the original price, and then wait for the inevitable GOTY edition to play the DLC.
Saves hard drive space and usually ends up a lot cheaper than buying them all separately.

Octane

@Ralizah Considering that pretty much all the car advertisements are just CGI cars, this doesn't surprise me. If there's one thing computers are good at, it's rendering cars.

Octane

Dezzy

@Octane

That's all prerendered though. 30 seconds per frame VS 30 frames per second.

Peek-a-boo

Oof!

Again, out of curiosity, I read a couple of Mass Effect: Andromeda reviews this morning and the word 'unpolished' is featured in every review in some shape or form. On the plus side, it seems like the adventure itself is worthwhile if you are willing to take a fresh start approach to the new game:

"Still, it does give you the same quality gameplay the series is known for and you'll enjoy your time with your new crew, even if they're no replacement for the originals."

"Performance issues are a huge let down, and it feels more Dragon Age than Mass Effect. But if you like open world exploration with fast paced gun fighting, and a hero story like an OTT Hollywood action movie, you'll probably like Andromeda."

On a slightly different note, each one of Ubisoft published games in Q1 last year and during these past few months - Far Cry Primal, The Division, For Hono(u)r and Ghost Recon: Wildlands - have all reviewed better than the new Mass Effect.

I certainly didn't see that one coming...

Peek-a-boo

Dezzy

Ugh, metacritic 73 at the moment for Mass Effect.

What were they playing at? This is possibly Bioware's most popular and valuable IP and they're gonna kill it...

AlexSays

What a huge disappointment.. I'm guessing there's going to be a lot of changes to the development team after this.

Was looking forward to playing some Mass Effect now that I'm finally home after a lengthy business trip but looks like I'm sticking to Zelda for the time being.

AlexSays

NEStalgia

@Ralizah I used to think that EA didn't support Nintendo consoles much because they didn't see market opportunity there based on past results, and because they had too many cozy paid-off deals with Sony and Microsoft and Nintendo won't pay to play.

Now I realize it's actually just the Seal of Quality program. EA just doesn't qualify often and gets sent home along with Meme Run

Well, now that they've annihilated one of the few 3rd party AAA franchises I actually loved and looked forward to, it makes my decision a little easier about which PS4 game to play next: Horizon or P5 it is!

@Peek-a-boo You have to hear the Chicken Dance in your head as you watch that GIF looping.....it's so much funnier!

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic