Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 4,821 to 4,840 of 16,083

Octane

@Peek-a-boo

From what I've read about this game regarding ICO and SOTC, Ueda has said that all three games exist in the same universe/world, but that the way in which these stories are related is up to the player. There are definitely similarities between the games. Even in gameplay, seeing how TLG is essentially elements of ICO combined with elements from SOTC. Makes me wonder what his next game will be...

Definitely agree about the last part. There's definitely a good build up towards the end. Seeing the other creature's silhouette in an early area, followed by the first encounter that sends you tumbling down and crashing through that roof. Talking about that, I really wonder to what regard the world is how we perceive it is. I'm certain that the entire world isn't completely loaded at any given time, but do all the proportions and locations of the areas match or are they just using clever tricks to make us think that it's one interconnected world. Regardless, it works and you can see different locations from other points in the game, so I guess it doesn't really matter how they did it.

The final battle was definitely heartbreaking, and at the same time unpredictable. I hoped that Trico wouldn't die, because doing that would be too predictable and disappointing. I knew that the game was going to conclude with some emotional sequence towards the end, but I couldn't figure out what it was going to do. For a while I even thought I was facing the final boss when I entered the room with the black sphere! Not knowing there was another battle with the other creatures still ahead of me. Thinking about that, I still don't know what that was about (though it did remind me a bit of the ending of Pikmin 3). It was controlling the creatures through the blue crystals, but they haven't really explained its motives, and if I'm not mistaken, it managed to escape in the end. A ghastly shape of symbols managed to escape through the ceiling when you destroyed it. The more I think about it, the less I understand. Why are they kidnapping children? Who build the city? The statues? Humans? It looked like the statues saved Trico during that lengthy cutscene, but they also attack Trico, although I guess they did imprison him too.

Anyway, here's hoping that the next game will be just as good, and not another 10 years away!

Octane

Peek-a-boo

@Octane I am just wondering about something in regards to how many trophies you got by the end.

I only ask because I didn't care to glance at them until the game had finished (due to possible spoilers) and I was amazed at how few I got!

Only just managed to finish under 15 hours, even though it felt longer than that.

Got four bronzes, two silvers and two golds. One of them was a little bit odd, as I saw Trico, um... having a poo or something, and a trophy thing no sooner popped up! I also played around on the wooden cart that acted as a see-saw for quite a while, and I landed on Tricos' back after being thrown airborne.

I will replay the game again this time next year, just like I did with Shadow of the Colossus at the time. It is too fresh in my memory, and given that the game is between 12 to 14 hours long, it won't take up too much time to journey up and out of The Nest again.

Also!

The Master of the Valley has similar-ish symbols to what Dormin shows at the end in Shadow of the Colossus, when you are trying to escape from being pulled and plunged into the depths of the well.

Dormin is a mysterious, disembodied entity. In legends of the game's world, it's said that Dormin has the power to revive the dead, and I half wonder if the Master of the Valley shares something in similar with Dormin.

Untitled

Or it might just be my mind proactively trying to make any sort of connection to the other games.

There's so much on my mind! So many questions, and even more answers to seek.

Peek-a-boo

Octane

@Peek-a-boo Hah, I never really pay attention to trophies, so I wouldn't even know how many I got, or how many you get on average in a game.

I don't know about the symbols in SOTC, I looked it up, but couldn't find any. They are definitely present in ICO though.

Octane

Dezzy

Dragon Quest 11 info!!!!

Untitled

This looks so damn good. This half cartoony, half realistic art style is my favourite. That's kinda what I'd want Zelda to look like if it were on better hardware.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Octane

I like how well the horse is animated though.

Octane

Ralizah

DQ11 looks awesome on PS4. Hopefully the Switch version looks this good.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

LzWinky

So is the Last Guardian good? I've been hearing mixed things about it

Also, DQ11 looks amazing, though it's kinda silly how some Playstation fans are in denial on it being on the Switch

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Shinion

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6__TvBzAVj8&itct=CAsQpDAYAi...

Just a heads up here if anyone is buying a PS4 Pro for Christmas, at the very least try it out with a game like Uncharted 4 to see if you've been had with a clearly faulty product. It's nowhere near RROD widespread but this seems to be commonplace enough to be weary about, try out any PS4 you buy before you give it as a gift.

Shinion

LzWinky

Is that my vacuum cleaner? No wait, it's my PS4 trying to jet again.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

LzWinky

You better not be lying. I'll find you!

Octane

@TheLZdragon Haha, don't worry! My only complaint is the occasional frame drops, but fortunately the positives heavily outweigh the negatives in this game. Definitely a special game, and I'm sure that we won't get something like this for another 5 or 10 years. It's clearly an ambitious game too, maybe even too ambitious for the PS4. But it works, and it's definitely my game of the year.

Octane

Peek-a-boo

@TheLZdragon You only need to read the previous two pages prior to this one to see just how much Octane and I enjoyed it. It's my game of the generation, despite some performance issues and a camera that is rather erratic in confined/tight spaces.

Like Octane says, there won't be anything like The Last Guardian for another decade. It is an unique one-off experience.

@Octane Going back to what we were talking about, I don't particularly care about achievements, trophies and the like either however, it was just refreshing to see how few popped up over the course of the game, to the point that I felt somewhat compelled to have a quick glance at them afterwards.

Finish the game without dying (yikes!) and to finish under five hours (!) sound like an awful lot of hard work to me...

I also remember some kind of symbols in ICO too, but it's been a fair old while since I last played that whereas Shadow of the Colossus is just about hanging upon the cusp of my mind. The whole Dormin thing is gaining a little bit of traction elsewhere, which is why I mentioned it (to you).

Anyways, Dragon Quest XI looks superb!

The last one I played was Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King on the PlayStation 2 back in 2004. I also remember the game coming with a surprisingly generous demo for a Final Fantasy XII too.

The characters look anime/cartoony, whereas the environments seem to be going for a realistic fantasy-esque art style, which looks something like a vividly colourful version of Twilight Princess.

Unfortunately, I don't have time for RPGs nowadays, but it looks like a worthy return to home consoles after the last couple of games in the Dragon Quest series being plonked onto the 3DS, annoyingly so.

The 3DS version doesn't look too hot to me either...

Peek-a-boo

Shinion

@Peek-a-boo what's wrong with the last few Dragon Quest games being on DS/3DS? Seemed to do great for them in Japan, where the clear priority of that series is. As far as I'm aware the PS4 version hasn't even been confirmed for a release outside of Japan so little are SE concerned about anything other than the domination that Dragon Quest has in Japan.

It'll be great to see this game on 3 systems eventually but I wouldn't bet against the 3DS version being the highest selling one. It's an absolute certainty in Japan at least after the immense drop off Final Fantasy had to indicate how much of an afterthought consoles are in Japan.

Shinion

IceClimbers

@Shinion No doubt, but it will also be interesting to see how localization is handled. I can see it coming to the west in 2018.... on PS4/Switch. Gut feeling says the 3DS version doesn't get localized.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

CanisWolfred

@Shinion - DQXI is being made for the 30th Anniversary, so they wanted to go all out. There's a 3DS version as well, and its really riding the nostalgia train hard with things like Passwords and Super Famicom-era Sprites on the bottom screen. It'll probably be the more popular version no matter what they do, tbh, if Ni no Kuni is any indication (I recall the PS3 version doing much worse at launch in Japan, despite it being a completely different game from the DS version). I honestly hope we get both versions, whenever they get around to a western release, since they look different enough to warrant double-dipping.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Peek-a-boo

@Shinion There's nothing wrong with the Dragon Quest series being on the DS/3DS, seeing as they are both very popular systems in their home market.

The last Dragon Quest I played was VIII on the PlayStation 2, and I haven't played the other two due to finding RPGs really uncomfortable to play on a cramped little portable device, especially for long periods of time too.

I would rather play them on a home console, like the previous eight Dragon Quest games were on before the DS and 3DS came along.

At least we'll get an option to choose between a portable and a home console this time, so... everybody wins!

Peek-a-boo

LzWinky

Dragon Quest VII is far superior on the 3DS than it is on the PS.

CanisWolfred

TheLZdragon wrote:

Dragon Quest VII is far superior on the 3DS than it is on the PS.

...To be fair, DQ7 wasn't exactly a well-regarded or well-remembered member of the main series. It was begging for a remake, and while I didn't play a lot of it, even 3DS version wasn't as polished as it could've been. It's still miles better, if the beginning is any indication, I'm just saying...for a game that's such a slow burn, it's better that they used a candle instead of a dogturd the second time around. And yet, it's still no lantern, or even a lighthouse...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

LzWinky

It's not the best in the series, no, but it's still pretty good on the 3DS.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic