Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 4,801 to 4,820 of 16,083

Ralizah

@CanisWolfred Yeah, I backed it, and the codes activated for Playstation. General digital launch isn't until the 20th, apparently.

It's fun. Not as good as Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, but I've come to accept that Pirate's Curse will likely remain the high point of the series. 1/2 Genie Hero has a much more arcadey feel to it than previous games. That extends even to the plot, which feels... negligible.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Peek-a-boo

Just finished The Last Guardian.

I'm an emotional wreak right now. The ending is a new height in cinematic interactivity.

I've had a lump in my throat (with a few games) before, but I have never actually cried.

There's noticeable performance issues, an erratic camera that you want to strangle somebody for and the pace slows down a little bit too much at the halfway mark for my liking... however, that doesn't stop me from quite happily saying that it is the most unique and unforgettable experience I have played in the past decade.

And probably the best ending you'd ever witness in a video game too.

Excuse me while I go and wipe my tears away.

p.s. The song at the very, very end is just a gut-wrenchingly beautiful choice.

Peek-a-boo

Octane

@Peek-a-boo Can't wait to finish it up then. I'm an hour or two away from the finale, maybe even less than that. But I won't be home until Thursday, so that's a bummer.. I wish I spent a little more time on it yesterday, but it was late and I was pretty tired. Oh well, too bad! I can wait I guess..

Octane

Peek-a-boo

@Octane Once you have seen the game through to the end, I shall post my thoughts.

Make sure you have a hankie at the ready...

I also updated my list in the 'Games of the Year' thread too!

Peek-a-boo

CanisWolfred

Ralizah wrote:

@CanisWolfred Yeah, I backed it, and the codes activated for Playstation. General digital launch isn't until the 20th, apparently.

It's fun. Not as good as Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, but I've come to accept that Pirate's Curse will likely remain the high point of the series. 1/2 Genie Hero has a much more arcadey feel to it than previous games. That extends even to the plot, which feels... negligible.

Ah, that last bit is a little disappointing, but at least I know it'll be a different experience now. Not gonna lie, I was afraid I'd be burnt out of Shantae, I played the marathoned the whole series in a relatively short span of time (and I have a second playthrough of Pirate's Curse that I still have to finish, too!). Hopefully that'll help keep it fresh for me.

I'll still miss the strong story presence that was in the previous games, though.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Ralizah

@CanisWolfred I'm not surprised about the lack of story, considering I had my suspicions from the beginning that it was going to be a soft reboot, which seems to be the case. This game is about as far as you can get from the original Shantae in terms of how it's designed. The hub town consists of exactly one area with different shops, so no overworld to explore at all. The game's entire focus is almost entirely on the stages you visit via a stage selection screen. The levels themselves are straight-forward and more like something you'd find in a traditional platformer, with very little in the way of puzzle elements or exploration. If the original was more like Zelda and Metroid, then this one is more like Sonic and Mario.

CanisWolfred

Ralizah wrote:

@CanisWolfred I'm not surprised about the lack of story, considering I had my suspicions from the beginning that it was going to be a soft reboot, which seems to be the case. This game is about as far as you can get from the original Shantae in terms of how it's designed. The hub town consists of exactly one area with different shops, so no overworld to explore at all. The game's entire focus is almost entirely on the stages you visit via a stage selection screen. The levels themselves are straight-forward and more like something you'd find in a traditional platformer, with very little in the way of puzzle elements or exploration. If the original was more like Zelda and Metroid, then this one is more like Sonic and Mario.

Yeah, and I'd be totally alright with that if they kept the storytelling aspect of the first. Ah well, again, I should at least see if I can enjoy it as a change of pace instead of more o' the same. Not gonna lie, the exploration, while cool, never felt fleshed out or rewarding enough on its own. Even in Pirate's Curse, I vastly prefered the "island select" approach, since it helped to reduce the early-to-mid backtracking that were quite the slog in the first two games. I still liked liked having fully-explorable levels, though. It'd be like if Ratchet & Clank without the large, multi-area levels & hidden items. It'd just become a straight-forward linear shooter, rather than being the ecclectic mix of genres that really helped the series stand out on its own.........
Oh who am I kidding, I still played the hell out of it

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Peek-a-boo

Stardew Valley is absolutely brilliant.

I cannot believe that just one man created all of this game all by himself!

I can see myself spending the rest of this year playing through this. There's so much to do, but it doesn't feel like you are rushed or anything, which is nice. Just as well I finished The Last Guardian the other day...

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Ralizah

@Peek-a-boo I don't know. As the game goes on, the days start to feel a bit too short when you have so much to do.

It is a lot of fun, though. Can't wait to play this on a portable. It's coming to Switch, and the developer actually mentioned a possible Vita port!

Peek-a-boo

@Ralizah In my case, I have only just started, and it feels like I am being gently pushed along to complete the objectives and my day-to-day chores on the farm. I am sure things will feel hectic somewhere down the line however, for now, I am enjoying the surprisingly pleasant pace.

I loved the Harvest Moon game on the GameCube (I forgot what it was called though...) and this has taken me back to my younger years when I was happy, carefree and without a worry in the world!

Did you spend a little bit too long on coming up with a name for your farmer as well as playing about with those colour sliders for your eyes, hair and clothes? I think I spent 10 minutes or so playing around with that.

It's such a lovely little gem.

Peek-a-boo

Ryu_Niiyama

^ A Wonderful Life was gamecube. Magical Melody straddled systems.

So I'm bummed right now. For Honor is Persistent Online. I don't have the best internet connection in the world and I'm not moving just to play a video game. Both Steep and For Honor went from "must buy" to "blacklisted" for me. Why do you hate me so Ubisoft? I keep trying to like you and then you punch me in the face.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Ralizah

@Peek-a-boo I always spend way more time with character creation engines than I should if they're fun and user friendly (i.e. unlike the one in Fallout 4).

The last time I was super into Harvest Moon was Back to Nature on the PS1. I was a bit obsessed with it for a few months.

CanisWolfred

Hurry, hurry! Step right up! For one week only, YOU can decide for yourself if Call of Duty still has some life left in it, or if it's as Zombified as the only mode anyone seems to talk about anymore! And it won't even cost you a dime!

That's two levels of singleplayer, Online capped out at XP Level 15, and Zombie mode capped out at, um...level 3? Really?

Oh, who am I kidding. I honestly woun't even consider it if I didn't get to uninstall it after the 20th, freeing up room for more blatantly fun games, like Wolfenstein or Titanfall 2. Hell, I can't believe I haven't played Titanfall 2, yet! I'll have to get on that after this weekend.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Peek-a-boo

@Ryu_Niiyama @Ralizah Only just remembered, thank you!

Untitled

I spent a LOT of time playing A Wonderful Life, mostly because there were one too many 'droughts' between games (especially from Nintendo themselves) on the GameCube. I can still happily hum the theme tune too.

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Dezzy

Ralizah wrote:

Anyone else playing Shantae: 1/2 Genie Hero? I'm sort of glad I opted to get this on the PS4 instead of the Vita, because the game's HD visuals are gorgeous.

Getting the Vita version. I think the Vita screen is good enough for something like that. I've played Rayman Legends on both Vita and PS4 and I didn't really notice much difference in visual quality. Given how far away I tend to sit from the TV screen on PS4, the 2 end up being roughly equivalent.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Ralizah

@Dezzy Let me know how that turns out. Are you a backer?

Octane

@Peek-a-boo Okay. I finished The Last Guardian. That ending.. just perfect. The game does really get better over time. That last stretch is just phenomenal. I don't think a game ever made me care this much about an AI character. Maybe too early to tell, but I'll do it anyway, The Last Guardian is my favourite game of this year. Shadow of the Colossus was outstanding when it launched and so is this game.

Octane

Dezzy

@Ralizah
Nope. I hadn't even played any of the series when that kickstarter ran. The 3DS one was the first I'd played.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

CanisWolfred

Dezzy wrote:

Ralizah wrote:

Anyone else playing Shantae: 1/2 Genie Hero? I'm sort of glad I opted to get this on the PS4 instead of the Vita, because the game's HD visuals are gorgeous.

Getting the Vita version. I think the Vita screen is good enough for something like that. I've played Rayman Legends on both Vita and PS4 and I didn't really notice much difference in visual quality. Given how far away I tend to sit from the TV screen on PS4, the 2 end up being roughly equivalent.

I'm getting the Wii U Version, so I can have both...at the same time. We'll see how that goes...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Peek-a-boo

@Octane For those of you who have yet to play The Last Guardian, for the love of God, please don't read these spoilers!

Everything from being eaten by Trico a second time right the way through the moment you see those four sets of eyes on the very last scene are probably the most incredible sequence of events in any game ... ever.

I was very surprised to see so much story, given that both ICO and Shadow of the Colossus are quite vague, and doesn't have anything to show outside of the beginning and the end.

To see how the boy was taken from his village in the middle of the night, and the subsequent fight by the elders, then being hit by lightning on the journey back was really great to see. It gave us more reasons to ensure that both the boy and Trico makes it out of The Nest.

As a dog lover, seeing all those mind-controlled birds biting away and attacking Trico atop the cylinder platform in the most beautiful sunset conditions (you can see the transparency of the sunlight through each individual feather) was really hard to see, especially when you cannot even help Trico.

Once I found the mirror shield, and was snatched away by one of the other birds, the entire sequence was utterly incredible seeing as you can pinpoint all the individual locations within The Nest that you had gradually worked your way up to, as well as being able to actually move around on the bird that is flying.

Technically, the game is genuinely astonishing at times and no area shows off its technical prowess as much as the climax of the game.

I am quite jaded when it comes to computer graphics nowadays, outside of the likes of Ratchet & Clank and Uncharted 4: A Thief's End however, The Last Guardian made me gawp more times than the latter two combined. I thoroughly love the pastel style visuals used for the villagers too.

My only grumble is that there doesn't appear to be any direct link to either ICO or Shadow of the Colossus outside of the broken horns on Trico. I also wish to know who or what lies in the tomb inside the bright white room where you found the jade mirror shield. Was it the body of the Master of the Valley, perhaps?

To see why a small part of the shield that's caked in mud as the title screen is another special moment, and again, another unexpected moment given that the story still continues after the credits roll.

To see the boy as his older self (who now looks like the village elder) and pointing the jade mirror shield skywards, through the layers of clouds and seeing The Nest again to reveal those four eyes where our journey first begun was the cherry on an already delicious cake. I was virtually inconsolable by this point!

It feels like the ending of The Iron Giant, which also reduced me to tears...

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Never mind it being my game of the year! It has just about knocked Bloodborne off its perch as my game of this generation. Just thinking about the finale - and how well everything comes full circle - makes me appreciate the whole experience even more.

There's never going to be anything quite like The Last Guardian again, and that makes me feel really sad...

Untitled

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic