Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 4,701 to 4,720 of 16,083

Haru17

@Ralizah Uh, hate to break it to you, but Gravity Rush 2 is far from a happy medium. The full Japanese title is "GRAVITY DAZE 2/Gravitational Dizziness Final Chapter: The End of the Repatriation of the Upper Stratum, Choices That Converged Her Inner Space."

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Ralizah

@Haru17 Uh, we weren't discussing that. We were discussing: "Gravity Rush 2: Another Story: The Ark of Time — Raven's Choice"

The first game had a crazy full title as well: "GRAVITY DAZE/Gravitational Dizziness: The Perturbation of Her Inner Space Caused by the Repatriation of the Upper Stratum."

Either way, while I think cutting those titles down was the right choice, there is a certain charm in them in their uncut form. They're certainly more memorable than the loads of Western stuff with one word titles.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Octane

Shorter titles are easier to remember, and if the title is too long, people will create abbreviations anyway, so I don't mind the short titles. Nobody says ''The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time'', everyone calls it Ocarina of Time, and the franchise is simply ''Zelda''. But this is just DLC, so I really don't care either way, they can make the title as long as they want.

Octane

Haru17

I just think it's funny.

Edited on by Haru17

Dezzy

Apparently Ellie will be the actual main character this time. So I'm guessing it won't be quite as violent as the first one. I wonder if they'll use that opportunity to include more platforming and whatnot so it becomes more like Tomb Raider. Or if they'll stick with the kind of tank controls of the first.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Octane

@Dezzy Well, the first one was described as a ''love story'' and part 2 as a ''hate story'', and seeing that Ellie was pretty pissed off, it's very possible that this will be the violent one.

Octane

Haru17

TLOU tank controls? That's a first. And, no, I don't think we're gonna go all Nathan Drake with it. A difficulty setting and the game's making-of documentary are literally called "Grounded."

CanisWolfred

Haru17 wrote:

"Gravity Rush 2: Another Story: The Ark of Time — Raven's Choice"

What a ludicrous title. It feels like a literal translation. Still, though, at least they used the em dash correctly.

speaking of: https://www.vg247.com/2016/12/03/gravity-rush-2-ravens-choice...

^Best. News. Ever.

Free story DLC is always a plus. Unless that Story DLC actually ruins the story. Or the game itself didn't need a story-driven experience in the first place. But any other time it's good!

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Octane

@CanisWolfred Yup, I think they promised that when they delayed the game to 2017. Fair trade-off, game gets delayed, but we get the DLC for free.

Octane

Peach64

Last Guardian got an Essential from Eurogamer I was kind of expecting a disappointment due to the fact it's really a PS3 that just got delayed so much they HAD to move it to PS4. It would have been a great PS3 game no doubt, but the wait can cause so much expectation it becomes impossible to live up to. Eagerly awaiting the Edge review now.

Peach64

Peek-a-boo

So, Eurogamer gave The Last Guardian a very rare 'Essential' rating, and seemingly implies that it is one of the finest games of the generation.

HOORAY! I always had faith in the game, even a decade ago.

Eurogamer wrote:

Does the successor to Ico and Shadow of the Colossus live up to its lineage? It does so much more.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-12-05-the-last-guardia...

Funny how both Final Fantasy XV and The Last Guardian came along within a week of each other and that they both thankfully ended up being two very, very good games!

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Gran Turismo Sport has been making waves at the PlayStation Experience, with the once feeble audio sounding a lot more 'throaty' and the visuals having been noticeably improved, especially the lightning.

Untitled

Untitled

I also wish to point out that I have noticed how Sony and their first party studios seems to be pursuing female leads in their big blockbuster games; Kat and Raven in Gravity Rush 2, Aloy in Horizon: Zero Dawn, Chloe (and Nadine?) in Uncharted: The Lost Legacy and now Ellie in The Last of Us Part II.

Diversity is good, and it's good to see.

Peek-a-boo

Octane

Peach64 wrote:

Last Guardian got an Essential from Eurogamer

Sounds good! Honestly, can't wait till Friday. Some reviews are a bit mixed though, just don't have any expectations when you're going into this game, cause it will probably play unlike anything before. For example, Eurogamer gave praise to the fact that you had to work together with this AI that doesn't always do what you want him to do, as if he has a mind of its own. On the other hand, some reviewers complained about the fact that the dog-thing didn't always do what they wanted him to do..

Octane

Peek-a-boo

Octane wrote:

On the other hand, some reviewers complained about the fact that the dog-thing didn't always do what they wanted him to do...

And they - the reviewers - probably already knew this despite Fumito Ueda saying that the creature (intentionally) has a mind of its own all along!

You cannot please them all.

Peek-a-boo

Shinion

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wZh_51AdYBo

A more substantive explanation of one of the average review scores. Sounds like the AI of the dog can get very, very, very, very, very aggravating. It's at least bringing up loads of fab defences- "but dogs don't listen to you IRL all the time!" LMAOOOOOOOOOOOO.

I'm seriously looking forward to trying this myself, I'm being very guarded with my expectations especially after this, though as SoTC is one of my favourite games of all time I don't think it'll be truly satisfying if this game merely ends up being a very rough gem that doesn't end up meaning a lot to me.

Other issues about performance on original PS4s in particular which is another joy as I'm still rocking my launch day PS4, and typically annoying 'guess what the devs were thinking' puzzles.

Definitely as expected one where experiences will vary.

Shinion

Octane

@Shinion Define aggravating. I'm sure the game isn't for everyone though. If you're the type of person that likes to rush through the game, then it's probably not your type of game. If the game works like the Eurogamer review described, then the real challenge may be to understand Trico's (I remembered its name!) AI and trying to work with the creature. Maybe that's the real game? Difficult to say when I haven't played the game, but I'm trying to go in with an open mind and zero expectations.

Octane

Shinion

@Octane Well in the video Jim is far far from praiseworthy towards it, using words I can't post to describe it. He shows the examples of the barrels that you can have Trico eat, and says that it will almost always delay eating the barrel even though it knows what to do and has a 2 second animation of eating it, it'll just push it around for a bit and then need it throwing again or even go to eat it but just stop partway through the animation. His best example was when he showed the boy throwing a barrel through the air and Trico eat it midair with style. Problem is it happened only twice in the entire game. Every other time he threw a barrel at it the dog, and I quote, "just let it hit him in his gormless face". And he also talks about certain animations taking way longer than necessary just for the sake of it, he shows in the video one scene where the dog seemingly won't come into an area but after wandering around for a minute the dog does just enter the area.

Of course people are defending this saying it is "cute" and "realistic", and to them I'm sure this game will be a masterpiece and they'll adore it, but they're not everyone. If I have an experience similar to Jim, I will find it far from cute.

This is also not an isolated instance like the single FPS video that is circling around that is seemingly a bug. Many reviewers are very critical of Trico and they have every right to be from the sounds of things. When you spend "ages" (as Jim says) doing a 'guess what the developers were thinking' puzzle and not make any progress so spend another long while looking elsewhere only to return to the original place and the dog decides it wants to play along this time and advances... that there is aggravating. To Jim and I fear to me.

I'm still excited though, looking forward to Christmas!

Edited on by Shinion

Shinion

Ralizah

The framerate is apparently pretty poor on the vanilla PS4 and the Pro in 4K. Hopefully this gets patched post-launch.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic