Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 4,381 to 4,400 of 16,083

Haru17

@Octane I like it better than the reboot so far. There's a lot more subtlety, and the survival and puzzle elements are expanded upon. I wouldn't worry about playing the reboot first — the story is pretty pathetic in both of them.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Octane

@Haru17 That's what I've heard too, but it'll probably be a tenner by then and that means I've also got something to compare Rise of the Tomb Raider with. Even if it's actually a terrible reboot, so be it. Also paid 60 bucks for Star Fox this year, so I've paid a lot more for worse

Octane

Peek-a-boo

After playing Rez Infinite on the PS VR yesterday, I purchased the game on the PlayStation store first thing this morning.

Area X, which is a brand new never-been-seen-before area, is spellbinding!

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

I now want a fully fledged sequel to Rez based on the wispy-wavy Area X aesthetics.

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Ralizah

I've heard there is some terrible control delay in RotTR on PS4.

This video appears to show it as well (it's slowed down for effect, but the delay appears to be unreasonably large either way):

This could kill the game for me. If I'm going to play a shooty game, I want my shooty controls to be responsive.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Haru17

@Ralizah That's either concocted or not representative of the game. The movement feels a bit slower than my memory of Tomb Raider '13, but it's certainly not like that for the aiming. I don't know whether that guy's TV has input lag, his hand gets in the way of the signal, or what, but that video isn't indicative to what I played.

Peek-a-boo

The input lag is a widely known issue on the Xbox One version and sadly, it looks like it has carried over to the PlayStation 4.

It has nothing to do with the low or high latency of ones television; it is purely the fault of the game, and one that was never fixed on the Xbox One therefore I don't have any hope that the PlayStation 4 version will be fixed either.

Upon looking at the main Rise of the Tomb Raider thread on places like NeoGAF shows just how widespread the problem really is, whether you can 'feel' it yourself or not.

If the above doesn't bother you, then I guess you are able to enjoy the game more so than others!

Peek-a-boo

Haru17

@Peek-a-boo Well it looks like it has everything to do with the type of TV, because I tested it today and the character starts to turn much faster than was shown in that video. There might be a subtler problem that that, but the video is nonetheless not representative.

Edited on by Haru17

Shinion

I'll be able to try out the PSVR in a couple of weeks when I go to Paris Games Week but I'm just extremely disappointed to see that it has done its best to exclude me, despite being at face (heh) value a piece of technology I'd want to succeed. I'd love to play RIGS and that funny looking Until Dawn game among other games I've seen in the launch lineup (and I hate that I'll be playing the pauper's version of Resident Evil 7 in a few months) but I have none of the required money, space or confidence in my ability to remain well whilst playing. I'd hope to have a better idea of the latter when I try it out but I ain't too confident, particularly as there seems to be no real way of being able to guesstimate what games are motion sickness inducing and which are not, as it is as subjective as any other factors leading to certain games getting 8/9s from certain outlets whilst being called one of the worst games ever by others. I have no desire to jump in when the user experience is as polarising as it currently is, though with this current 'first wave' of VR technology it looks like there's no real way to improve in this aspect, I suspect most VR games will remain unplayable for some forever.

And that's without even getting into the price. Already having a PS4 and a good ol' television is one thing but even if I'd be tempted by the PSVR at its current price (very debatable) I am most certainly still baffled at Sony's decision to sell two pieces of 6 year old technology separately for the not-so-low price of $100 (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) which are mandatory for many of the PSVR's 'killer apps'.

Nopenopenopenopenope.

Also I was very surprised to see that RIGS was listed as a full price game on the PS store when I looked today. Not so sure I agree with that either, but compared to the initial price of entry it's a distant afterthought, and that's saying something considering how lacking it is compared to most other full price games, even just multiplayer ones.

It is a shame because whilst I'm nowhere near as much of an evangelist about VR as some people who've eaten the marketing for this thing hook line and sinker ("the future of play" bleh) I want to experiment with it but in contrast to the Wii's biggest factor to success in my opinion the VR is an extremely excluding piece of technology.

Oh and Rise of the Tomb Raider is a very good game people and I'm glad that now seems to be a time when that's an acceptable thing to say in a PS forum as opposed to the last year or so though it seems that for a variety of reasons it will never get the acclaim it deserves.

That's my two cents on the hot topics here anyway.

Shinion

Peek-a-boo

@Haru17 Hey, I am not saying you are wrong, just that I am going by what quite a lot of folks on NeoGAF are saying (even those with some of the best low latency televisions on the market) as well as the technical findings of Digital Foundry (on Eurogamer).

It's a known issue, and one that sadly affects both the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 versions.

@Shinion Before Friday, I had never experienced virtual reality and I came away thinking that it is an altogether brilliant and immersive experience! I thoroughly hope you enjoy your time with the PS VR at Paris Games Week.

Make sure you try Rez Infinite!

Granted, it is an expensive purchase, but then I start to think about how much it would cost me to buy a super-duper powerful computer as well as the Vive and all of their required components (Oculus has gone crashing down dramatically in my books lately).

One is £1,500-2,000, the other is £600-700.

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Shinion

@Peek-a-boo well £600 is well out of my price range ATM. Even the NX's dreamed £250 would be, so it doesn't do anything for me that it's even £1000 cheaper than the alternative. I'm just going to go with the hope that it doesn't give me a headache and if it doesn't then it's only up from there I guess. Though I'm more excited for Horizon Zero Dawn than anything else, hopefully the queues aren't too long for that.

Shinion

Octane

Didn't even realise PGW is this month! So you're telling me that I can play Horizon, Gravity Rush and try out PSVR for only €19.00. That's very tempting..

Octane

Shinion

@Octane You in the area? I've already got two tickets for the first two days for €32 and thought it was a no-brainier to go to as my first 'geek con' whatever as my uni breaks up the day before. Just one metro line away from my place too (admittedly it's one of the longest at nearly 30(!) stops).

I'll try to remember to post impressions and whatnot of what I managed to play. Sucks that Sony aren't doing any reveals or a stage show this year

Does anyone know what was announced at last year's show and how well it was received overall? Don't remember taking anything about it in last year but I would like a barometer to compare this one to. Ni No Kuni 2 was announced at the PS event they do in December wasn't it? I'd have loved to have gone to the event when that was announced.

Shinion

Octane

@Shinion Pretty well as far as I can remember; GT Sport, WiLD, Detroit, first look at gameplay of Dreams, a lot of VR games, new trailers and gameplay for Gravity Rush and Horizon. Just enough to make it worthwhile I think.

No, I'm not anywhere near Paris unfortunately. It's a 4-5 hour drive, but I traffic's pretty bad around Paris and I've learned that the hard way before. I try to avoid it whenever I can! I've done a one-day trip to Paris before, but it's pretty exhausting. It's definitely something that requires and extra day or two for travelling, if I don't want to be sleepwalking the entire day.

Edited on by Octane

Octane

Peek-a-boo

@Shinion Just to clarify, I used the £600-700 price range which includes a PlayStation 4 (£239), the PS VR (£349), the new PlayStation camera (£39) and a Move controller bundle (£68). All four together costs £695.

Obviously if you already own a PlayStation 4, the overall price wouldn't be quite as burdensome!

I am curious to see how you will get on at Paris Games Week and yes, it is a shame that Sony won't be having a conference as their show last year was really good.

They announced Detroit by Quantic Dream (from the creators of Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain), WiLD by Michel Ancel (creator of Rayman and Beyond Good and Evil), Gran Turismo Sport was shown for the very first time and Dreams by Media Molecule (from the studio who created LittleBigPlanet and Tearaway).

That's four big new games unveiled, which makes it an even greater shame to know that they are not attending again this year.

p.s. Blah! Octane beat me to the punch... but yeah, it was an unexpectedly worthwhile conference last year.

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Ralizah

@Peek-a-boo Wow, this sucks. I've heard the PC version of RotTR has no input lag, though. My PC falls pretty much right smack in the recommended settings territory where I should be able to get a solid 60 fps if I don't max out every setting. I guess I'll get it through Steam in a sale, then. I was kind of hoping to get the PS4 version (muh trophies ), but I could see this bugging the heck out of me.

In light of this, I'm REALLY glad that Steam is adding full support for the DS4, considering it's the controller I most want to use with this game.

Edited on by Ralizah

Gamer83

I can confirm the input lag on Rise of the Tomb Raider as well. For some reason it doesn't bother me too much with the shooting, in fact, I haven't really noticed it there, but in the platforming segments it has annoyed me a few times.

Gamer83

CanisWolfred

As a player of fighting games and a sucker at platformers, I can't even hear the term "input lag" without cringing...sucks that the new Tomb Raider couldn't get past that. You'd think that would've been a priority to sort out before the initial release, but I'm guessing the timed exclusivity deal forced their hand...as did the need for more money in relation to the PS4 release...

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Gamer83

It was a straight port by an outside studio, Crystal Dynamics couldn't even be bothered to bring the game to PS4 itself because the people there are a bunch of suckers for Xbox for whatever reason. You would think that after screwing over the audience that buys your games in the largest numbers (despite the piss-poor treatment) these imbeciles could at least do the PS4 conversion themselves and make sure it's 100% perfect... Unfortunately commonsense and game developers don't go hand-in-hand these days, even less so when talking about studios under the SquareEnix label as SE is just as pathetic a company as EA or Activision. In some ways, worse.

Edited on by Gamer83

Gamer83

Haru17

Gamer83 wrote:

It was a straight port by an outside studio, Crystal Dynamics couldn't even be bothered to bring the game to PS4 itself because the people there are a bunch of suckers for Xbox for whatever reason. You would think that after screwing over the audience that buys your games in the largest numbers (despite the piss-poor treatment) these imbeciles could at least do the PS4 conversion themselves and make sure it's 100% perfect... Unfortunately commonsense and game developers don't go hand-in-hand these days, even less so when talking about studios under the SquareEnix label as SE is just as pathetic a company as EA or Activision. In some ways, worse.

The misinformation in this thread is getting pretty egregious, guys.

Ralizah

It's bad enough for an issue like this to crop up in a major AAA game release and not get patched out. But, really, to have the same problem reappear in an upgraded port a year down the road?

Totally unacceptable.

It's too bad, because I like the new Tomb Raider, and I've been rooting for it to succeed, but the developers are kind of shooting themselves in the foot here with shoddy releases like this.

I am still looking forward to playing it, though.

Edited on by Ralizah

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic