Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 15,401 to 15,420 of 16,083

Losermagnet

@kkslider5552000 i'd be interested in trying it, but i'll probably never find a convenient way to play it (unless I try to play it any way i can). Megaman Legends might be my favorite version of the character though and any extension of that version has my interest.

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

JoyBoy

Trying to get pc players interested in it's sequel and therefore PS5, maybe?

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

Ralizah

It's taking some teamwork between Valve and Sony, but it won't be too long before I have that portable PS4 I've wanted for a long time.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Grumblevolcano

Given Uncharted Legacy of Thieves collection was already for PC releasing in Early 2022 (meaning a maximum gap of 2 months from GoW 2018), it seems clear that the rate of PC ports is going to be a lot faster now. Not surprising given the acquisition of Nixxes but still something of note.

I could honestly see the first Uncharted collection (Nathan Drake Collection) for PC be a Game Awards shadow drop.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Octane

@Zuljaras God of War sold almost 20 million copies, so it makes sense. It's also a good way to advertise the sequel coming to PS5.

@Grumblevolcano The Uncharted movie is coming early 2022, so I can see them trying to tie it in with that one. Similarly, I expect TLOU to hit PC whenever the HBO show releases.

Octane

Ralizah

Not entirely sure how a PC port of 2018 is supposed to advertise the sequel. PC gamers aren't going to run out and buy a console to play Ragnarok now that they know Sony is willing to port this series as well.

Octane

@Ralizah They've clearly crunched the numbers. The benefit is probably higher than the cost of porting.

Octane

Ralizah

@Octane Oh, I'm not questioning the viability of porting the game to PC. PC gamers are very shrewd about purchasing specific ports en masse in order to ensure further support. It's how Steam went from supporting a fraction of the total playable games out there back in 2012 or so to having access to nearly everything on the market today. PC is really, really close to being a universal platform that has access to everything.

I just don't think this is going to convince PC gamers to invest in a console to play the sequel. If anything, now that there's blood in the water, most of them will be likelier than ever to sit tight and wait for more PC ports.

Edited on by Ralizah

Octane

@Ralizah You're not going to convince a die-hard PC gamer, but I don't think they are the target audience.

Octane

Ralizah

@Octane I tend to think they're the exact audience Sony is aiming for, as a lot of non-die-hards will already own a PS4 or PS5 for first-party games. Granted, some PC gamers also own consoles and will double-dip to have a version of Sony's games on their preferred platforms, but you also have this large group of PC-only gamers to market to. Sony specifically mentioned wanting new audiences to play the game, and that's an untapped well when it comes to sales potential.

The strategy, in my opinion, is this:

• Release a game on their consoles.
  • Milk the total sales potential of their console base over time by gradually lowering the price until everyone who owns a PS4 or PS5 and is even halfway interested will own the game.
  • Once people aren't buying your game on console anymore, announce the PC port and generate revenue by tapping into a new pool of gamers.

Sony has a lot of older games they could port over, which means they can keep the PC ports flowing fairly regularly. By the time they've exhausted their PS4 titles, a lot of the PS5 games will be old enough that they can resume the cycle with next-generation games.

Anti-Matter

My PS1, PS2, PS3 & PS4 games so far.

PS1 & PS3
Untitled

PS2 & PS4
Untitled

Anti-Matter

Octane

@Ralizah You buying? Or do you keep clinging on to your dated PS-old-timer-4?

#teamps5

Octane

Ralizah

@Octane At the moment, nearly all of the upcoming games I'm excited for are coming to the Switch, so I'm not sure what the point would be in dropping $500 on a device I'd barely be using. The only upcoming PS game I can say I'm actually looking forward to is the Horizon sequel and, as we all know, that game was primarily designed with the specs of the PS4 in mind, so my old PS4 from 2014 should continue to serve its purpose as a secondary console I play a couple of games a year on well enough.

Edited on by Ralizah

Grumblevolcano

@Ralizah It's weird, I was so excited about Series X but across the past year where it's extremely hard to get (even harder than PS5) I'm increasingly thinking "do I need this?" and at this point I feel I'm trying to get one because hard drives have an average lifespan of 5 years so my XB1 is running on borrowed time (got it in 2015) rather than the upgrades (i.e. games released after 2017 working properly) and Series X only games (e.g. Flight Sim).

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Ralizah

@Grumblevolcano I wouldn't worry too much about it. Hard drives can crap out on you at any time or last double the average lifespan. The hard drive on my Xbox 360 from 2007 or so still works fine. My Wii U from 2014 is still going strong. Hell, my laptop from 2011 still works fine, and I use that way more than any of my consoles.

If you wait long enough, the Series X will be easier to get and have access to a larger number of new exclusive games to play.

Edited on by Ralizah

NEStalgia

@Octane PS5 is the best PS4 Pro model yet!

@Grumblevolcano It's so weird, people keep claiming xsx is easier to get and ps5 is never available due to the demand, and then there's people like yourself that find the reverse. I wish we had numbers on that. I'm never sure which one to use more and risk failure without replacement I tend to mostly use XSX but by chance the next like 5 games in my backlog are all PS.

Having both in tow, for whatever reason, X feels more like a new console, and PS5 feels more like a PS4 turbocharger. I like the PS4 turbocharger a fair amount, but it doesn't feel like a new platform. Except for the still clumsy UI.

Maybe because all the games are still PS4 games and the ones that aren't are still selling for collectors edition pricing so I don't buy them. I caved and bought iki Island though. And the $10 rumble pack because I have no self control.

NEStalgia

Grumblevolcano

@NEStalgia They're probably considering Series X|S as a whole when saying it's easier to get of which Series S is extremely easy to get. Seems to be from easiest to hardest:

• Switch Lite
  • Switch
  • Series S
  • Switch OLED
  • PS5
  • PS5 Digital
  • Series X

Grumblevolcano

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic