Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 15,301 to 15,320 of 15,486

Zuljaras

@VoidofLight Because some people need to justify their purchase as they can't afford both (or all consoles)

http://castletoria.com

Ralizah

@VoidofLight Because any time people are given an excuse to split off into camps or tribes they will, and warring with outsiders and opposing camps quickly follows as a sense of collective identity is established. It's human nature.

Currently Playing
Shantae and the Seven Sirens - Definitive Mode (NS) (replay)

TheFrenchiestFry

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210909006124/en/Aspy...

Full press release regarding Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Remake

A few key points

• Will be a PS5 console launch exclusive that eventually comes to PC but there's no mention of other consoles which leads me to believe it'll be console exclusive to PlayStation 5 given the very particular wording around the phrasing, even after it launches on PC.
  • Described multiple times as a collaboration between Lucasfilm Games, Aspyr and SIE, which was later detailed in the PlayStation Blog as Sony having an active role in funding and supervising the project, much like they've done with games like Bloodborne with FromSoftware or the recent Spider-Man games with Insomniac
  • They keep using the word "legend" or terminology referencing Star Wars Legends (or what fans might know as the Expanded Universe chronology which KOTOR existed in before it was retconned by Disney). This potentially indicates they're not going to be drastically overhauling the story to make it fit in with the new Disney canon and that it'll be extremely faithful to its roots in the EU instead, which is fantastic because I love the story in the original KOTOR and don't want it changed or modified to slot in references or allusions to events in the Disney canon or whatever they're doing with the High Republic multimedia stuff. Keep it classic.
  • PS5 version will be published by Sony Interactive Entertainment while on PC, it'll be published by Aspyr themselves. A similar approach was taken with other second party PlayStation games on PC like Journey, Nioh, the Quantic Dream stuff and Death Stranding.
  • This statement I find pretty funny from the SVP of SIE:

"Nearly 20 years after its debut, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic remains one of the most highly requested remakes from the PlayStation community"

I know there's an overlap between both console playerbases but it's really funny this was a highly requested remake from the PS community when KOTOR's literally never been on a Sony platform before now.

Either way, really psyched about this remake. I love characters like Revan, Darth Malak, Carth Onasi and HK-47 and it's truly one of the best licensed games I've ever played from the golden age of BioWare as a developer. I highly recommend it to anyone who's even an RPG fan and not that much of a Star Wars buff. It's that good

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

TheFrenchiestFry

BioWare gives its blessing and best wishes to Aspyr on the Knights of the Old Republic Remake.

TheFrenchiestFry

JaxonH

@TheFrenchiestFry
Are you getting that info from what you linked?

Cause it says

In development as a PlayStation®5 (PS5™) console exclusive at launch and for PC which pretty clearly states it will only be console exclusive at launch, not full exclusive (which means PC day and date, otherwise why not say full exclusive). And "at launch" means the console exclusive status will change after launch, which pretty much guarantees other consoles.

Unless there's a different press release that's not what you linked?

PLAYING
NS: Shin Megami Tensei V, MH Rise
3DS:
Steam: Forza Horizon 5
PS5:
MOST EXCITED FOR
NS: MH Rise Sunbreak, Bayonetta 3, Splatoon 3, Triangle Strategy, Zelda BotW 2, Metroid Prime 4

Jesus is Lord.

Octane

@TheFrenchiestFry Considering it's like 4000 years before the main SW stuff (including High Republic), there's not much in the story that would have to be changed to prevent loop holes, right? I think this remake can be considered canon (like Jedi Fallen Order), even if they keep the story the same.

Never played KOTOR by the way...

Octane

gcunit

I agree with JaxonH - it's pretty clear. If it was to be exclusively on PS5 as the only console, for evs, the words 'at launch' would not be in that press release.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Octane

It'll probably release on Xbox at some point, which is better than never at all.

Octane

TheFrenchiestFry

@JaxonH and TIL that developers and publishers have a confusing as hell way of wording what "timed exclusivity" is

I think the blatant omission of mentioning other console platforms is what's throwing me off on this. In the case of Deathloop and FFXVI they were at least very transparent that it would come to other platforms at another time whereas everything I could find on this game only mentioned PlayStation and PC, and I genuinely took it as them saying "PS5 at launch, PC later, but on console it'll be only on PS5" especially given Sony's publishing it on console, and Aspyr have mentioned nothing outside the fact they're publishing it on PC. It wouldn't be unheard of considering the original KOTOR was console exclusive to Xbox but had a PC version, and same with stuff like Morrowind or other Sony games

Why didn't they just say timed exclusive lol what is this "console launch exclusive" wording. There's something super specific about the way everything is phrased, especially given Aspyr have repeatedly cited Sony is more than just a publishing partner on this particular project and are actually funding and helping develop it. Idk, we'll see in like 2026 or whenever this game's supposed exclusivity period ends

@Octane I haven't read much of the High Republic stuff but I think it's 800 years after Old Republic but 200 before the prequel trilogy, which I think has some form of confliction considering they keep specifying High Republic was supposed to depict Jedi in their prime, when Old Republic was already built on the premise that Jedi and Sith populated the entire galaxy, and there's next to no details on how Revan in the Disney canon is differentiated from Legends Revan. He was given a very short section in the Rise of Skywalker Visual Dictionary and that's basically it

TheFrenchiestFry

JaxonH

@TheFrenchiestFry
They want it to appear as if you need a PS to play the game. I think that's the whole point. Intentional obfuscation. Pay for timed exclusivity, hide it behind "publishing for PS5" so people don't see it as paying to delay the Xbox version like with all the other games they pay to delay other versions of, and write it into the contract nobody can mention other versions until after the game has been out X amount of time.

I doubt it'll be more than a year. Not that it matters to me. It's releasing on PC also, which is awesome because it means hybrid functionality (assuming the writer they hired who by their own admission hates the original game doesn't screw it up, of course). But for those who do play on Xbox, as long as they know it's coming they can relax.

PLAYING
3DS:
PS5:
MOST EXCITED FOR
NS: MH Rise Sunbreak, Bayonetta 3, Splatoon 3, Triangle Strategy, Zelda BotW 2, Metroid Prime 4

Jesus is Lord.

Ryu_Niiyama

Hey Ps5 owners, does remote play with ps4 games/vita system work on PS5? I was looking at my collection and I realized I’ll need it.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

JaxonH

@Ryu_Niiyama
Negative.

You can do remote play from a PS5 onto another PS4. But no Vita connection.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
3DS:
PS5:
MOST EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

BruceCM

Nah, 'console launch exclusive' is pretty clear ..... They wouldn't specify launch if they meant it'd never come to XBox, after all! Anyway, as long as it's coming to PC, that's where I'll get it

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Ryu_Niiyama

@JaxonH ouch. Hmm. I may have to look for a Ps4 pro then. Darn. Thank you!

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

JaxonH

@BruceCM
Are you getting Steam Deck? I always assume most people on NintendoLife are hybrid gamers who like their portable freedom, but then I remember some ppl play docked only and don't care much about hybrid play, and only bought Switch for the exclusives and not portable multiplats.

I had this game on my iPad and played it with an mFi connected controller years ago. It wasn't the best way to experience it, but it was HD and, it worked. Also have it on Steam. But a graphics update would be nice. It's enough to get me to replay it.

PLAYING
3DS:
PS5:
MOST EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

TheFrenchiestFry

@Ryu_Niiyama You can remote play on mobile or another PS4, but not Vita. Vita support is done.

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

Octane

@TheFrenchiestFry High Republic is 300 years before OG stuff. Yoda is in it, but that's it I think. High Republic isn't necessarily Jedi in their prime, just the inner systems. The outer rim is pretty much uncharted territory for them.

Old Republic is 4000 years before the the OG Star Wars IIRC, so I don't think there's much connection between the two.

Octane

VoidofLight

@Octane I think that the High Republic stuff also makes it clear that it takes place before the sith were around, but I could be mistaken.

(Insert creative or cool phrase here.)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic