Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 15,301 to 15,320 of 16,083

gcunit

@TheFrenchiestFry https://twitter.com/Sony/status/1437476414970867716?s=19

Saying 'exclusively' doesn't mean infinitely exclusive.

Note how they're not saying 'console exclusive'... ? Because it won't be.

It is coming to PS5 exclusively in that it is a timed console exclusive.

Believe me, if it was a permanent console exclusive deal they would be clearly saying so. The fact they haven't said that even once should be sufficient evidence for everyone to move on and talk about something else.

Talk about fanbois clutching at straws...

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

TheFrenchiestFry

@gcunit "fanbois clutching at straws"

Believe me, I could honestly care less if this game actually is multiplatform, I just think the messaging is super inconsistent and should probably just flat out be addressed in a joint statement or something. It's like the whole FFXVI situation all over again and even then that was resolved in like a day

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

TheFrenchiestFry

I'm so happy Deathloop is actually getting praise but I know it's going to probably sell like ass because Arkane games never really do amazingly well + a lot of the wind will probably be taken out of it on PS5 specifically because of the Xbox buyout

I hope the 600+ times they showed it in the last year actually does something long term for it

TheFrenchiestFry

VoidofLight

How does 3D audio work on normal tv speakers? I thought it only worked with headphones.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

JaxonH

Ok. I heard the update is finally dropping tomorrow. Thank goodness. I've had this system for basically a full year now waiting to expand the storage. I'll be ready to upgrade with my 2TB Samsung 980 Pro which is already locked and loaded in a heatsink.

I also heard 3D audio is finally going to work for speakers, except... only as 2 channel? That's... not how this is supposed to work.

Dolby Atmos FOR HEADPHONES is 2 channel because headphones only have 2 channels. It uses HRTF technology to simulate the change in frequencies humans hear when objects are at various positions and elevations around it. It virtualizes surround sound in 2 speakers.

But for ACTUAL surround setups, Dolby Atmos doesn't have to virtualize. It just does the real thing.

So when Sony says "3D audio is coming to speakers" I'm expecting actual object based surround on, at the minimum, a 5.1.4 setup. But that's not what they're doing. What they're doing is just playing the HRTF virtualized headphone audio through 2 channel TV speakers. That's... wrong.

When Sony refused to adopt Dolby Atmos and went proprietary, they set themselves apart from Xbox and PC. I thought ok, this is going to make surround harder because surround systems on the market don't know how to decode your proprietary tech, but you're promising 3D audio through speakers so I'll trust you can deliver.

This is not delivering. If they're incapable of figuring out how to deliver their tempest 3D audio in a codec surround systems can interpret, then just use Dolby Atmos! I don't get it.

Thankfully I'm now using Sennheiser 800S headphones for gaming but still, sometimes I want to use my Ambeo and subwoofer which sounds incredible with Atmos.

@TheFrenchiestFry
I hope it does well because I like Arkane. I'm supporting them because of Dishonored. I'm sure it'll do well enough anyways. But it is a stealth game which not everyone likes, and it's a game where you replay the same segments over and over making further progress each time, somewhat rogue like, which is also not that popular. That's what turned me off- stealth isn't my favorite but I can make exception for a good one (Splinter Cell), but games where you die and repeat over and over like Returnal, Dead Cells, Hades... not my style. I keep buying those types of games because they review well, and then get bored on the 3rd run. But ya, I'm sure it'll do fine.

For the record though, anyone who de-hypes over Deathloop because of Xbox owning it instead of counting it as a blessing and final parting gift doesn't deserve to enjoy it anyways. That would be like Xbox gamers refusing to play it once it releases there just out of spite for releasing somewhere else first. I know it may seem like there's a bunch of crazy ideologues out there because we see them in comment sections all the time, but I do believe most gamers are normal people who don't care or follow that kind of stuff.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Magician

When my brother doesn't ask me to play Warframe, I find myself dipping a toe back into Path of Exile.

This time rolling an ice Ranger.

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 1,251 games (as of April 24th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Losermagnet

I guess i'll be shopping for an SSD now. Anybody have any recommendations? I was planning on a 2TB.

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

JaxonH

Woot woot!

Just installed my Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, and now have 3GB storage, alongside 1TB external SSD for my collection of permanent PS4 exclusives which almost take up exactly the right amount of space.

@Losermagnet
Samsung 980 Pro. I’ve got several of the Samsung SSDs for both PS5 and PC and they are super reliable and performant.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

Woot woot!

Got my 2TB Samsung 980 Pro installed with heatsink, and all is well! Still have a 1 TB external SSD for my collection of permanent PS4 exclusives which collectively take up almost exactly 1 TB. Perfect. Cheaper storage externally to keep the internal free for PS5 games. I’m guessing if this generation accounts for another 1TB I can have all PS4 and PS5 permanent, non-PC exclusives on the internal without need of an external. But for now, to be safe, I’ll leave it be.

Anything else of note in this update? Aside from the 3D audio for speakers that only does 2 channel?

@Losermagnet
Samsung 980 Pro.

JaxonH

And… the 2 channel 3D audio can’t even calibrate. When measuring your room acoustics it just pops up an error saying your TV volume is too low. No matter how loud I turned it it would continue to give me this error. I had it turned up so loud I would be shocked if the neighbors weren’t woken up out of their sleep. Yet it STILL says the volume is too low.

Whatever. Not like I would ever use the crap anyways. Just wanted to see how it sounded out of curiosity.

Octane

@JaxonH Is the microphone of your controller turned on?

Octane

JaxonH

@Octane
Ya. I checked that after trying a few times. But it wasn't muted or anything.

Magician

After waffling the past couple times Black Desert went on deep discount, this time I finally pulled the trigger as the game is currently 60% off on the PS Store. Just another mmo with a healthy chunk of single player content I've always wanted to dabble in. Despite its well known P2W cash shop, that flashy combat has my attention. I also went ahead and grabbed Mad Max for a fiver.

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 1,251 games (as of April 24th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Anti-Matter

I still haven't finished to unlock all songs from Dance Dance Revolution 4th Mix PS1 so I guess I will play some DDR songs tonight on my PS2 Slim.

Anti-Matter

Losermagnet

@JaxonH thank ya 👍 looks like it's gonna set me back a couple hundred so i'll bide my time.

Kinda bummed there isnt an option to create folders still (although I had no reason to suspect it was happening). The more i interact with the PS5 menu the more I realize it's near-identical to the Switch's: most recently played depicted at the main screen with everything else thrown in a giant pile under the last option.

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

TheFrenchiestFry

Interesting tidbit about the KOTOR Remake

Apparently Aspyr were originally pitching a remastered collection of both the first game as well as The Sith Lords, and Lucasfilm Games rejected it in favor of the remake of the first one we're getting now. Hopefully if this remake does well and is well received, Aspyr will give KOTOR 2 a similar treatment because mechanically it is superior in every way

TheFrenchiestFry

VoidofLight

@TheFrenchiestFry Lucasfilms made the right move with this, given that while remasters would be nice, we can see the gameplay more modernized, and the graphics shine a bit more.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

NEStalgia

@TheFrenchiestFry My worry with KotOR remake is that they're going to "remake" it as a modern action adventure game with RPG lite elements instead of a faithful reproduction of a legit CRPG. In fact, I fully expect that's exactly what they're going to do. Aspyr ain't no Bluepoint that runs Cell code on a PS5 just to make sure it's exact.

NEStalgia

JaxonH

@Losermagnet
Ya, try to catch on on Black Friday or during some other sale. Be sure to grab a heatsink as well. One that fits in the little NVMe cubby.

@NEStalgia
I hope not. Seems everything is going that direction now. I'm highly suspicious DQXII is going to do it as well.

My worry is they're going to rewrite the story with liberty and bork it.

The lady they hired as their writer for this has been very outspoken about not liking the original game back before this was ever conceptualized.

Putting someone in charge of the writing who doesn't like the original, and who also happens to be of the Anita Sarkesian variety who sees video games as a mere tool for ideological propaganda... it doesn't sound like a recipe for success.

But we'll see.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic