Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 13,881 to 13,900 of 16,083

NEStalgia

@TheFrenchiestFry A teenager in Japan. Because of course. Why is it in a nation of mostly old men, everybody is always a teenager in the media? I'd much rather they included Gestalt. How many games have you playing an old guy short of God of War?

NEStalgia

Dezzy

NEStalgia wrote:

in Japan. Because of course. Why is it in a nation of mostly old men,

Lol women have yet to be invented in Japan.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

NEStalgia

@Dezzy they've invented plenty of 13yo DD women.... That's the problem...

But yeah, i meant in relation to the protagonist choices

NEStalgia

Dezzy

Ok so they're making a "cellphone" version of Ys 8, and it somehow looks way better than all of the previous versions. Looks like a PS4 game. I hope we get this version:

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

RR529

Don't know what triggered it, but I just remembered I had a Lord of the Rings game on PS2 (based on one of the movies, though I'm not sure which one). I don't remember much about it other than the fact that I believe I beat it, and it wasn't that long. I think the last level may have had some sort of castle siege theme, but that probably doesn't narrow it down as such things are probably a dime a dozen in games like that.

Totally forgot about it until now, but I think I remember liking it.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

TheFrenchiestFry

Started collecting for my PSP again after about 9 years of it not working due to a swollen battery pack and me recently replacing it

Just got Dissidia Final Fantasy (the original and not 012) complete with manual for like 10 bucks on Amazon prime and in really good condition

Now to complete my FF collection on PSP I just need Tactics War of the Lions, the original Type 0, the physical Japan only release for Final Fantasy III's remake and I might even just get the UMD Video copy of Advent Children if I can find it.

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

NEStalgia

@Ralizah I'm curious if we'll we an xbox tax. I presume, but they have the pockets to play the good guys. And with gp discounts they can steer what people buy.

I remember the same thing early ps360 generation. Console went up to 60 and pc stayed at 50. It was the "console tax" then. The industry said used games sales for console was the reason. Then pc went to 60 anyway.

70 pc prices coming soon unless MS declares their undercutting Sony.

NEStalgia

BruceCM

Who buys games on Steam at full price, anyway .... ? Between quite a few having discounts to encourage pre-purchases or launch discounts & going on sale otherwise not long after and Humble, etc, etc, too, I never pay full price for anything there

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Ralizah

@BruceCM @NEStalgia Even if MSRP goes up, you can usually preorder a game on PC for a discount. I remember getting RE2 at launch for $44 or so, and I've seen those sorts of prices with a bunch of other major releases on storefronts like Green Man Gaming.

PC gaming pays for itself, if only in terms of the money you save with games, not paying for multiplayer, etc.

As for Xbox, I think their own games won't go up in price, although GP kind of makes that an empty concern regardless.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

BruceCM

Yeah & those games that don't do that will go on sale, usually after only a few months, as well, @Ralizah ....

SW-4357-9287-0699

NEStalgia

@Ralizah Maybe we'll get another "GCU" type era. Maybe that's what the $70 is all about. Doesn't help me with digital though.

I still don't like the phrase that PC pays for itself though. I'm buying 4 "next gen" consoles for less than one similarly performing new build PC would cost me. I'd pay as much as one of the consoles for the video card alone. Even if I lowball at $2000 for a PC build versus just the XSeX, how many games and subs to I have to buy to make up the extra $1500? And how many of those games purchases would actually save much if I'm buying them 6-14 months later on digital sales? Every time I price compare steam it's either about the same price I paid, slightly less, or slightly more. Even if I assumed a $5-10 net average per game and a $50/yr sub (so far I'm not paying more than that, not including Game Pass since that's for PC too), and not including the savings from "game sharing" since that's an edge case, I'd still end up merely breaking even after 7 years of subs and 115 games. After 7 years (and assuming no component failures....my last PC ate 2 GPUs, 1 PSU, and one Raptor HDD which combined could buy ANOTHER 3 consoles....) I may actually reverse the losses.....but that means I'm 7 years in comparative debt before breaking even. I don't think "pays for itself" is the right metric here. The argument is "but you can upgrade it!" Sure.....lets see if 7 years from now the same mobo will support the same PCIe interface, I/O interface, CPU socket, bus speed, memory architecture etc required to compare with PS6/XSeXY.

Now....1080p gaming PC built on the cheap....maybe. But then we're comparing against a $300 Series S.....

EDIT: That would be awesome if you're right, and I want to see the moment MS actually officially says "MSGS games are $59.99" That would be a big industry freezing move, IMO. Yeah, GP makes it irrelevant for many ,but not on the retail shelf. It makes Sony look bad, but also makes Acti/2k etc look silly next to the platform holder's own games selling for cheaper. Especially when the platform holders games include last gens heavy hitters like Fallout and Doom.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

BruceCM

So, somehow, you miss the Steam sales where, say, Assassin's Creed Odyssey Ultimate was 80% off, @NEStalgia ....? OK, that game has been on similar digital sales on the stores for PS & XBox but not as often as it is in UPlay or Steam
Then, for consoles, don't you expect at least one mid-gen upgraded version for each, as well? But then half of what you seem to talk about with PCs is high-spec work requirements, more than the demanding games

SW-4357-9287-0699

Ralizah

@NEStalgia Considering you can build a PC that well exceeds the performance of an Xbox Series X for around $1000, I'm not sure where you're getting the extra $1000 from. Maybe your concern would be valid if sales never happened/you could only buy components at their highest historical price/etc., but we both know that's not the case.

It costs more, but a few things help, like being able to build it piecemeal over the course of a year, and, as I said, finding components on sale. Meanwhile, you can avoid costly subscriptions entirely. find games for $10+ on average cheaper than you would on consoles, etc.

And, yeah, if you don't care about 4K, you can definitely squeeze in at a cheaper price point with a more mid-range video card. Something in the $300-ish dollar range like the RTX 2060 will likely play pretty much everything at high/ultra settings at 60fps in 1080p.

And, frankly, you can opt for a cheaper processor and probably not suffer much in performance. A Ryzen 5 3600/3600x will handle pretty much everything gaming-related..

All of my games will run beautifully as soon as I build a new tower, where Series X will be reliant on games having uncapped framerates until the "next-gen" patches will come out. Moreover, games like The Medium will still be capped at 30fps on console arbitrarily, whereas PCs that only cost a few hundred dollars more will be able to run the game at higher framerates.

And, frankly, PCs have access to such a wider variety of software. XSeX being partially backwards compatible with older games is cool, but it can't even begin to compare to the range of software available on a PC.

Edited on by Ralizah

NEStalgia

@BruceCM Maybe it's on sale more often at those stores, but it's still on similar sales on consoles. As for mid-gen console upgrades, that's a loaded question. I think it's 50/50 we see that this gen. Spencer already said he didn't want to see that situation again. Then again Phil's said lots of things he later changes. But the situation with the mid-gen bump was exceptional. 4k TV came out of nowhere and the base consoles that were, frankly, questionable even at 1080p because last gen they went stupidly cheap on the parts, really started to get ugly on 4k TVs. Plus MS was in such a disastrous hole with the 900p VCRXBox they had no real choice but to do a "do over", and Sony therefore had to keep up. There not in that hole this time around. They've overspent into the future on some parts. Maybe they'll do it to keep up with PC. More likely PS5 is in a hole that will require them to do a "do over" (LOL Spiderman remaster 60fps or raytracing = "next gen") and MS will have to follow suit.

OTOH, that implies that upgrading ones PC wouldn't also become pretty well needed over 7 years. In my PC days upgrades were pretty essential to keep up every 2-3 years..... so I don't see much different there. Albeit maybe cheaper, I'd end up building out $1500+ every 2-3 years for a whole new PC build....the new video cards needed a new graphics bus too! That's tamer now, but still, a new $500 video card or new $500 console, it's a toss.

@Ralizah I'm not sure how you're going to do that for $1000. And yeah, I generally bought most parts at RRP and new release parts in my day Sales happened on old parts you didn't really want anymore because the whole point of PC is to keep up with the latest. But generally speaking we'd be looking at $500 GPU
$150+ PSU
$100+ chassis
$200ish mobo
$200+ CPU
$200+ ram
$200+ SSD
$100+ Win10
That's up to $1650 there. Or more. And not including any little addons I'm missing.

Back in the day you had to get your Soundblaster and performance NIC for another $300+ of course....)

Subscriptions is kind of a wash. I could do without the PS+ sub, I only use it for cloud saves for convenience, so that's an optional, not required item for me. I don't really do multiplayer with PS games, just Sony exclusives. $60/yr matters, but it's not going to catch up the pricing.

I dunno, I could spend $500 and get a whole console today, and if it breaks I spend another $500 on a console to replace it....or slowly but surely spend $1000 nickel and diming sales over a year to build a machine, and if something like the GPU breaks I'm out another $500 anyway, and if something else breaks I'm out days of troubleshooting and "will it/wont it" fix it parts? Just to save $10 per game over the span of years to add up to the difference? I can't say it doesn't, long term, add up, but it's such a painful way of saving a few bucks when you spend your whole time just trying to save them. Time itself is an expense as well. A very finite, expensive one! I blew a decade wasting lots of it on PC last time

I won't deny there was some fun in the thrill of speccing out and building a new gaming rig. I enjoyed the "thrill of the kill" and the hobby of putting it all together and tweaking. At first. After the first 5 or 6 rigs it gets old. When you're working with troubleshooing difficult problems day in and day out for money....doing it for fun on your free time is less fun. If it was massive cost savings I'd still jump at it. But it's a trickle of cost savings with the full spend up front plus the aggrivation and time atop it. I honestly wish I could justify it in time and up-front cost. part of me misses it. But I just can't, and I have a terrible habit of getting into time consuming projects out of interest and boredom that end up consuming my entire existence....that's one of them

I'm certainly familiar with all the older software and B-grade software available on PC, and genres like RTS that are mostly non-existent on console that used to be my mainstay. But there's only so much time, and I have more to play on the consoles alone than I could realistically ever complete let alone adding in the whole RTS world and ancient games back in. The best of which have mostly been ported to console since then, anyway.

In the end, it comes down to: Spend $500, buy games. Play games. Enjoy my free time. Or spend a year shopping as a hobby, build a machine in a year that's no longer as up to date as it was when I started shopping for it, spend $1000 (I still say you're low-balling considerably) over a year, then slowly recoup the loss over a few more years. At that point it's almost irrelevant if it all came out cheaper. Shopping becomes your actual hobby, not gaming, and you've already consumed much of your gaming time by shopping.

I loved it. I somewhat miss it. I'm glad cheaper, at least until it amortizes cheaper, faster, easier, more time saving options can do nearly everything better than my last PC did. if it's a few years "behind" as a PC, at least it saved me time and up-front money to do it versus blowing dozens of hours trying to stay ahead-behind. It's a cool hobby, but that's just it, the machine is the hobby more than the gaming. When you've already been there and done that enough times for enough years....you want a more fun hobby like gaming, and one that doesn't make you feel like everything you buy is obsolete before it's delivered. Sure, current PC makes the new consoles look obsolete. But that console is the starte of the art for its form factor for years. I don't miss the upgrade hamster wheel. And the "oh great, I've had it 8 months and now all the new games require turning all the sliders down already." feeling.

Besides, one of my rigs was all about rendering Oblivion with higher tree density in higher resolution, 20fps be darned.......

NEStalgia

Ralizah

@NEStalgia Man, someone has been RIPPING. YOU. OFF.

Let's go through those component prices one by one, shall we?

$150+ PSU

No. Just no. My current one cost... $50, I think. A more "premium" one can be had for $80 or so. Why on earth would you pay that much for a PSU? And, anyway, unless you built your computer a long time ago, it's possible your current one might still work. ESPECIALLY if you're not getting some super-powerful card.

$100+ chassis

I mean... you should already have one? Unnecessary cost.

$200ish mobo

You CAN spend this much, but why would you? You can get it separately for $70 - $100, or included with a CPU for a discount, oftentimes.

$200+ CPU

Well, that depends on what you get. My new one will be more along the lines of $170 or so. But this price point seems fair, yeah.

$200+ ram

WHAT.
I'm getting 16GB of fast RAM for $60. Where on Earth did you get $200 from?

$200+ SSD

lol no. My new one, which is 1TB in size, will cost roughly $100. I mean, you CAN buy bigger sizes at a premium, but you could also buy a bunch of those memory cards for Series X and blow up your budget as well.

$100+ Win10

lol It's a free upgrade to Win 10 Home if you own Windows 8.1. Maybe Windows 7 as well, but IDK. Even then, let's say you're still on Vista or something because you live in the stone age, Win10 sells for $10 online pretty frequently.

The only component that really stings with PC builds are the GPUs, and even then, this new gen of GPUs offers awesome performance for the money. Or, like I said, you can buy a card for hundreds of dollars less that'll handle pretty much everything well.

Edited on by Ralizah

NEStalgia

@Ralizah I mean the last gaming rig I built was probably 2010 or so, though it was a combo productivity/gaming box and was Xeon based with ECC ram, so, I'm pretty sure I spent over $500 on RAM alone. Different use case, but still.

PSUs....I was getting the platinum+ certified ones for better thermals because my rigs were overheating, non-stop, no matter how many fans I'd throw in that thing. Keeping temps low was a priority. Chassis. I never ripped apart a current rig to build a new one...personal preference. But I don't want to have down-time with no games while I wait to get everything running on a new one. That goes back to that time aspect. Not strictly "necessary." I do happen to have a very nice Lian Li case sitting unused because that 2010 machine unfortunately has an Intel CPU that misses an instruction set requried for my productivity software now, so it isn't going used. Though I recall too many times that ever so slight changes in the ATX standards kept rendering chassis obsolete as well. And two of them I had to dremel out to get the board to fit.

At least back in the day I always needed bleeding edge mobos for the newest chipsets that supported the newest storage, or GPU or whatever. Maybe you can get away a hair cheaper now.

Also, though the last machine I built with 16GB fast ram was in like 2002..... granted it wasn't a dedicated gaming rig, it was necessary for productivity...but....I mean today I wouldn't really build anything with any less than 32GB....and that's kind of thin, to me. Non-gaming bias, maybe.

I said a machine comparable to the consoles. That means nvme 3/4 SSDs. The new PS4 similar one is $230. The XB ones are $220. Maybe on PC you can do $200 for an equivalent one. That will decrease, but today, that's where it is.

New mobo, new win license. Unless it's a retail license (I buy those for other reasons) - OEM licenses of Win used to be $100 with hardware purchase (but tied forever to that mobo). Maybe they've dropped the Windows prices.

It's still not a cut and dry build no matter what though.

And to be clear, we're still talking about a PC that will rival or exceed a Series X right (we won't compare against PS5 because so far what we're seeing the thing is a total dog and the entire budget went into a prototype SSD nobody will actually take advantage of....) PS5U. Great games, but you don't buy one for the hardware.....

NEStalgia

BruceCM

Heh, if you prefer the consoles, I'm not really trying to change your mind, @NEStalgia .... I do think you overestimate the costs of PCs theses days, where medium settings are equivalent to the consoles & I really don't expect to be spending another £500 on mine in the next 5 years If you really wanted to consider that option, I'm sure some here could better help you work out the likely costs?

SW-4357-9287-0699

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic