Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 13,841 to 13,860 of 16,083

Octane

@Grumblevolcano Different wording, but same end result. You get higher resolution textures/models, better load times, and DualSense support (haptic feedback, etc.). The Horizon 2 ''patch'' will probably offer all of this as well. Just because they're calling it a remaster, doesn't change the fact that the end result will probably be similar to the average ''next gen patch''.

Octane

Octane

@BlueOcean No reason to buy it sooner than the patch IMO! And maybe when the next gen patch comes out, they will release it physically on PS5 as well, with the patch included (and hopefully other patches as well).

Octane

Banjo-

@Octane Yeah you're right, the more we wait the cheaper. The next-gen version of Assassin's Creed Valhalla will be available on the same day, though 😁.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

Grumblevolcano

@BlueOcean No, I'm just getting confused. My understanding was:

• Next gen remasters can do more than an upgrade patch
  • Smart Delivery gave you next gen remasters for no additional cost and save data transfer process would be like how Divinity Original Sin 2 allows you to transfer your save between Switch and PC.

So because of this Spider-Man 2018 PS5 remaster having neither is just the normal current standard but will age badly over time as Smart Delivery grows on Series X and Series S.

Also I was expecting I'd be able to run the XB1 versions of some games that had Smart Delivery on Series X instead of the Series X version to save memory space.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Banjo-

@Grumblevolcano Don't let Sony confuse you. A next-gen patch, Smart Delivery and "Sony remaster" are all next-gen versions of current-gen games. The word "patch" is poorly used here because it's generally used for fixing bugs and applying higher-resolution textures to an existing file. A next-gen "patch" is a remaster, the older version is replaced with the new one.

It doesn't matter what word they use, some remasters will be more impressive than others. We'll have to wait for Digital Foundry to see which ones are best.

EDIT:

Grumblevolcano wrote:

Also I was expecting I'd be able to run the XB1 versions of some games that had Smart Delivery on Series X instead of the Series X version to save memory space.

I don't think that is likely. It's not possible on Xbox One X to play the Xbox One version unless you're offline or manually stop the updates. If you want to save space connect an external HDD to your Series X and keep some games there. You can also save GBs by not installing language packs and things like that.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

Ralizah

@Octane I wouldn't worry too much about Cyberpunk. The recommended specs on PC are fairly reasonable.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Octane

@Grumblevolcano Smart Delivery is just Microsoft's marketing for a ''next gen patch''. Sony does the same thing, except they don't give it a name.

Like @BlueOcean said, it depends on the game. For some the difference will be minimal (maybe just a texture/resolution increase, reduced load times), for other it will be more noticeable; DualSense integration for example, or even higher quality models. It's up to the dev to decide how much work they put into the next gen versions of their games if they decide to update them.

Octane

Octane

@Ralizah I have no idea how those compare to a standard PS4 or Xbox One to be fair.

Octane

Ralizah

@Octane They're about on par with the recommended specs for games like Shadow of the Tomb Raider and Metro Exodus. My point is that it's very much in line with other demanding AAA console releases this gen. So while it obviously won't look next gen on PS4 Pro, I think it'll probably perform fine.

They seem to be pushing SSDs as a recommendation pretty hard, though, which makes me wonder what load times are going to be like on Xbox One/PS4.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Banjo-

@Ralizah I think that Xbox One/PS4 (launch consoles) are going to be in trouble running Cyberpunk and Assassin's Creed Valhalla... 😅

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

Octane

@Ralizah The SSD is definitely another reason why I may wait for the next gen version.

Octane

NEStalgia

@Octane Smart Delivery is where Microsoft pushes the next gen version of your older gen game if you're running it on the upgraded hardware.

Sony's version is called "credit card reader."

NEStalgia

Banjo-

NEStalgia wrote:

@Octane Smart Delivery is where Microsoft pushes the next gen version of your older gen game if you're running it on the upgraded hardware.

Sony's version is called Credit Card Reader.

or Sony Smart Payments Program 🤣.

Banjo-

NEStalgia

@Octane I'm really surprised you're in the "Spiderman is a rip off" camp. I figured you'd be a defender of it. Yeah I said the same on PS the other day, if they were going to charge for it, they shouldn't have made it at all. You don't sell a "remaster" of a freaking two year old game that released after the new hardware was already announced. It's one thing to say "we're going to remaster KZ Shadowfall because it's ancient and we bumbled it for a sucky launch console 7 years ago." It's another thing to say "hey you know that new game that you just finished buying DLC for last year? Guess what? We've remastered it! It's a whole new game now! Pay up!" It's rediculous to "remaster" a 2 year old game and actually hcarge people that just bought your new hardware, for it. That implies that it wasn't up to snuff 2 years ago, or that the team bumbled it and didn't even make assets for the next console. Either way, it's a Sony fail and customers shouldn't be paying for that. If the PS4 version is good enough, let it be good enough. If you want to improve it, reward PS5 customers that bought the game on PS4 with an improvement. Don't try to sell me the feaking 2 year old game as a brand new game because you finally decided to put the full size assets up for download.

CDPR is a fraction the size of Sony, and they can be bothered to give out patches for a years old game for free, that has a lot more assets, and they weren't already redoing them for "next gen" DLC to begin with.

It's just such horribly bad optics all the way around.

And of course the PS crowd bends over and defends "remaking those assets costs a lot of money! I'm happy to pay for all that work!" Why didn't they make higher quality assets 2 years ago when they knew PS5 was coming to begin with? If they did it right the first time, there was nothing to redo. And Insomniac is better than that. Or they were before Sony bought them and Jimmy "Matrick" Ryan was at the helm.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@BlueOcean PayStation.

It's pretty cool that they're selling 2 consoles. One with a credit card slot, and one without - I presume it just uses Apple Pay.

NEStalgia

Banjo-

@NEStalgia PayStation 🤣.

I agree, I understand very well that they want to remake a PS3 game for PS5 but remastering the last Spider-Man game and charging again... They got away with it last gen (PS3-PS4) but now it's not well received... except by Sammy's army.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

Octane

@NEStalgia At least it's only Spider-Man. The rest of their games are getting free PS5 upgrades it seems.

Octane

NEStalgia

@Octane No, just the upcoming new release cross gen games. Spiderman is the first of the "launched before the cross gen window" games to do it. Do you reaaaaally think it will be the last? Especially while they market the Plus service of getting old exclusives free? I can't wait for HzD HD Remaster to be $49.99 when HzD 2 releases. Same with GoW and Ragnarok. They're taking the Nintendo route. Resell the better version of all their games as new while offering the old versions "free" with sub.

Heck, do we really thing GoT, launching 6 months before the new hardware and getting no mention of a remaster is going to remain remaster-free or get it for free after another year or two? Or will GoT come out with the remaster in 2022 for $49.99?

Of course, that's all true until they wake up, kick Ryan out, realize MS has landed and landed big, and start trying to fix their eroding image..... I think their policies will dramatically improve in a year or two. But right now, I think that's their plan.

Edit: IMO the Series S really caught them off guard. The effect of that won't be felt until Holiday and beyond, not preorders, but I think they're fully aware of that and that's why Jimmy is running around contradicting himself everywhere on the defensive......but I think the Bethesda bombshell has them internally reeling. It will take a while post launch to see, but I think that slapped their internal complacency awake. They've been sitting around planning on gouging for everything and being the default leader again and suddenly they find themselves paying their own competitor for their lauded exclusives, undercut in price for the mass market, taking guff from the internet commentariat for their policies and pricing, and MS is waving their cheap subs in their face.... They have to wake up and start pretending to be "for the players" again.

Except Jimmy's a self-righteous egotist and I'm not sure who can really bring him back to earth.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@BlueOcean Yeah, I'm in Pushsquare for launch, it's fun, but I can't imagine hanging around there too long after. That place is like a cult and Sammy really embodies that. He's finally cracking in a few places, but he goes back to his old ways fast enough.

NEStalgia

Banjo-

@NEStalgia On top of that, Nintendo is not messing around either. This is not 2013 for Sony.

Banjo-

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic