Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 13,601 to 13,620 of 16,083

Dezzy

@Ralizah

Yeah "launch window" pretty much means first 6 months though!

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

link3710

Alright, serious question: At this point, who thinks 9th gen is going to get delayed to launch next year so that both sides can keep avoiding going first. It's getting to be too late to announce things, right?

link3710

Ralizah

@Dezzy Eh. I think "launch window" probably means first three months, personally. Otherwise it'd be something like "First half of 2021."

@link3710 Sony has already said they're launching this year. Given how strained supplies are likely to be, that's probably going to be a very soft launch, though.

Microsoft is in a tough position: launch without any notable games to play on their new, expensive toy, or delay their launch and allow Sony to seize this generation by the neck very early on. Although the latter is likely to happen regardless, so maybe delaying the Series X by a few months in the way to go.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Blooper987

I find it interesting that Sony and Microsoft always seem to directly compete with each other while Nintendo just hangs back and does its own thing. This kinda thing doesn’t happen to them because they release their consoles separate from the competitors.

Switch Friend Code: SW-0772-1845-0995

NotTelevision

@Octane Yeah I see that now in the e-mail box. It’s just weird that you signing up for a chance to participate in giving them money essentially. Maybe there really will be a scarcity who knows...

It’ll also be interesting to see if families are really going to purchase a 500-600 console this holiday season. If Sony prices it at 400 then okay, but these are penny pinching times for a lot of people. But it’ll be at least 500 with the specs, unless they take a significant loss.

NotTelevision

NotTelevision

@Blooper987 For Microsoft they are just looking for the next “big wave” though. A lot of people are buying PCs with Windows OS and MS Office, but they lost the phone and tablet thing to Apple and Samsung. They also lost the console war as well and they know it. I guarantee you the board of directors had a lot meetings and advised against pushing only consoles. It’s a shame because the One was just a failure of marketing like the Wii U, with uninteresting software. They could’ve certainly turned things around the Series X because there was a ton of good will for a while with Microsoft.

But essentially the Xbox brand wants to become “the Netflix of gaming” with Gamepass and XCloud. Thing is I’ll wait for them to really fulfill on the promise of that first before jumping in. It’s a great idea with a bit of ways to go, but I’m kinda all for paying 60 bucks a year for all Non-Nintendo games in my diet.

Added: To be fair I’m not sure what else to do with a high powered console other than being “a box that plays stuff at this and that resolution” either. A lot of families bought a 360 just because of Kinect, but that proved to be a fad rather than a trend. Nintendo will continue to innovate with their consoles, but the twins are kinda dumbfounded on what to do. Still think whoever makes the most comfortable and assessable VR device, will rule the console roost in the future. But I think Nintendo is looking into with their next console. It won’t just be a Switch with slightly better graphics.

Edited on by NotTelevision

NotTelevision

Grumblevolcano

@link3710 Switch was 7 weeks between price + release date announcement and release date so there's still some time to announce for release in November.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

BruceCM

Or early December ....
It's highly likely there'll be supply problems, @NotTelevision, so if you do want one at launch, that's not a bad system. It's probably trying to cut out the scalpers, too

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Octane

@NotTelevision I believe they said they wanted to produce 10 million consoles for launch (launch period?). But consoles always tend to sell out at launch, that's not unprecedented. It's just that scalping has become a thing in recent years as well, so I expect a lot of people buying next gen consoles and flogging it for a higher price.

Octane

Grumblevolcano

@BruceCM Don't jinx it, early December release would mean the whole of September is silence.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Kidfried

No way a December release is happening. If that happens, then they'd rather delay until 2021.

I don't get people being so fed up about not having a release date yet. iPhones, Nintendo Switches, Sony's noise cancelling headphones, 4K tv's, they all tend to sell rather well, without having the need for a release date more than two months in advance.

Having announcements closer to launch, will help you to generate word of mouth (something that's insanely difficult if you're announcing stuff too early), and with COVID going on... why do people act like it's akin to failing, when a company decides to hold out a little longer before announcing stuff. Who knows what will happen in the next few months, and how that might impact a) the right date to release and b) what the economy will be anyway.

It's not dumb, it's not incompetent, it's smart. Same as this real life example:

• My colleague arranged a holiday to Spain a few months ago. Now that holiday is not happening due to COVID, and he has to make all kinds arrangements about cancellation, and et cetera.
  • I decided to wait to a week in advance for my holiday, so the chance of some terrible surprise ruining my holiday was smaller.

Was I, in 2020, the incompetent one for delaying arranging my holiday until the last possible moment? Or was my colleague, who is now trying to get his money back from some hotel that's closed down due to COVID.

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

Dezzy

They're not gonna delay it. Like 1/3rd of all consumer spending happens around the christmas period. They're not gonna deliberately miss out on that when they have absolutely nothing else for the PS4.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Magician

@Kidfried

Folks are accustomed to knowing prices and dates for new platforms around E3-time back in June. But here we are, almost into September and still nothing. It feels like a corporate game of chicken and fans are tired of it. PS5 digital $400, PS5 disc $500, Xbox SS (digital) $300, Xbox SX (disc) $600.

Lets go already.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,251 games (as of April 24th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Octane

Ratchet & Clank has a 60fps performance mode, like Miles Morales. Good stuff.

Octane

NEStalgia

@Ralizah [We needs it, precious. We mustn't. Dooo iit.....No! No Precious! We mustn't. You know you wants it....no... ]

What are you talking about. That's just crazy.

Seriously, oops, I wasn't thinking Rift Apart as the subtitle for R&C, I was thinking that was that game with the time travel for some reason. Yeah, R&C definitely is my #1 PS5 title that can convince me to go day 1. Not that I think I have high odds of a day 1 console.....I think both XSeX and PS5 will be essentially unfindable this year (which is a big problem for MS because they have no X1X to sell either....)

@Octane between scalpers, supply issues, and people with unlimited time and a need for a new income route I expect the launch and scapling will be insanely messy. In a "why do I even buy games, still and deal with this stuff?" sort of capacity.

@Kidfried Like @Magician said, in the entire history of video gamedom with the sole exception of Switch, we know the prices mid-June, and we can make our decisions and plan accordingly. This is not how we buy consoles and plan to buy them, and it's getting irritating, valid reasons or no. If you don't know your price point until a month before launch, how did you even spec the machine?! Xbox dropped a Toslink otpical port to save $2. The price is built in. They're not waiting due to covid and the economy. They're waiting to see who can undercut or premium price each other. Because Sony always, always wins by simply speaking last and undercutting. Always. That's why they had the 9:00PM ET E3 slot. MS doesn't want them to do that so wants to hold out until Sony has to announce price first. Sony's then holding out until MS has no choice but to announce first. They will wait until the hour of preorders opening if they have to, and prevent preorders until one has to talk. I had 2 PS4's preordered before the end of the Sony conference, mid-June 2013. We're going into September without even a price tag let alone a preorder.

The problem is without E3, they can do this tit for tat game of chicken with each other, and the consumers that want to make plans, or not, are just kind of pending. The real problem is since you know launch consoles sell out, if you intend to buy one, you have to pounce on it the moment you can - so you have to watch the feeds to see when that moment is. And while they keep playing chicken, that time of micro monitoring drags on forever, to the point where it really doesn't even seem important anymore by the time they do it.

It's not about "maximizing sales" - they have no hope of fulfilling demand even without it at launch. Sony's pretty much point blank said so with the pre-registration thing.

Then again, if XSeX really is $600, there may be tons of them collecting dust of shelves WiiU style come November, while not a PS5 is to be found.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

kkslider5552000

Octane wrote:

Ratchet & Clank has a 60fps performance mode, like Miles Morales. Good stuff.

Excellent news, I hope this becomes the new normal.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

link3710

@Kidfried The lack of a date wouldn't be such a big deal if we knew the price point. But as it stands, there's so much unknowns that people still don't know

1. What major games are coming out this quarter on Nintendo platforms (or is it just Pikmin 3, now that that's finally annoucned)
2. How much the new consoles will be
3. When the consoles are releasing
4. What the launch lineups look like for said consoles
and formerly 5. What's launching on PS4/XB1 this quarter

We're finally starting to get info down like AC and Cyberpunk and Crash locking in release dates this year, but for people who have to budget for the holidays this year has been a nightmare compared to previous ones. And even with having the PS4/XB1 lineups presumably set finally, there's still a lot of questions surrounding the new hardware.

I think if it were just the dates we'd be fine, but not having pricetags + all the other confusion over what other things that money might go to that drive people crazy.

EDIT: Also all this being said, I'm surprised Microsoft hasn't 'announced' the system at $600, let Sony undercut them at $550, then revealed there's actually a $500 main configuration as well, and $600 is only with an extra controller and game or something like that

Edited on by link3710

link3710

Ralizah

Ys IX is dated for February 2 on PS4, and "Summer" for PC and Switch.

Looks like I'll be getting this on PS4.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

BruceCM

Heh, I'll wait for it on Steam, @Ralizah .... (since I now have the entire collection of Ys & Trails games there)

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

NEStalgia

Do we even know if you can store games on the normal spinner drive? XSeX can, and runs bc games there. I'm signing up for a chance to buy an all digital console and i don't even know if it can fit all the games i already own let alone new ones.......

Also, anyone sign up and actually get a confirmation email or anything? I signed up 2 household accts... No email to confirm it. You use your psn id....... That doesn't always work well. I got nba from plus the other month and the email showed up a month later. I don't think i got my receipt from buying nioh2 or ff7r & kh3 dlc yet either....

@Ralizah ms mostly can go forward as is because it's status quo "we don't believe in exclusives"...cyberpunk, valhalla, farcry, cod etc they can still sell their new toy. Sony i think will "launch". 50 in units in the wild counts as launched. They don't sound near ready. They're taking pre preorders with no price and saying they don't even have enough for that. But screw it, they still have ps4 and pro to sell.

Ms is on a tightrope. They discontinued their old premium sku. They need to have tons on XSeX or they have nothing to sell at all. There's XSeS, but if it's a 1080p console at rumored lie price points, it's aimed against switch, not ps4.

Then again, what does ms care of you buy XSeX or ps5. They run Sony's network now. They get money every time someone buys Spiderman 1.5

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic