Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 13,541 to 13,560 of 16,084

NEStalgia

@Dezzy for me, and even Phil said it about XSeX is not really about a leap in graphics anymore, it's about performance. Current gen "does"things it's not good at and can't do smoothly, and the next gen does it smoothly... Which is cool. That's exciting..... But not at the prices were looking at and the terrible launches. A console launch should be exciting, and this one feels like "eh, just get it over with so the prices can drop and I'll upgrade eventually. XSeX was an exciting upgrade as it upgrades nearly all my content. Ps5 isn't very exciting, it upgrades nothing and it's just a license to buy new games. "A box to play Mario Ratchet on".

Yet at the rumored asking prices, XSeX proves ms still doesn't understand their market or potential market on, and they seem to be focusing on "offering premium products" instead of filling an actual market void... Where they're needed.

NEStalgia

Grumblevolcano

I'm excited for Series X but I didn't upgrade to XB1X given it seemed like just a stopgap console at the time. @NEStalgia's idea from 2018 about XB1/XB1S being dropped at next gen launch, XB1X getting a 5 year lifespan and new hardware happening such that there's always 2 active models (a more powerful model and a cheaper model that doesn't hold back the more powerful model but can still play all the games) is a better idea than what's actually happening.

Can't find the exact comment but there's a load of large text walls about next gen theories around page 241 of the Xbox thread (20 posts per page).

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Dezzy

NEStalgia wrote:

@Dezzy for me, and even Phil said it about XSeX is not really about a leap in graphics anymore, it's about performance. Current gen "does"things it's not good at and can't do smoothly, and the next gen does it smoothly... Which is cool.

That's always going to be the case though. They're always going to try and push the graphics forward when they get new hardware, meaning whatever the new graphics are will only be achieved with adequate performance.

I've been saying this for ages now. We're never going to get a time when all games run at maximum resolution and 60fps. People keep expecting that to be an achievable target that we should be getting closer to. But it's not. It's a continuously moving target that will likely never be achieved.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

NEStalgia

@Grumblevolcano Yeah, i imagine it is a more attractive console if you didn't have 1x. Then again the people they're hyping launch to are mostly the people that bought 1x. That's the thing. I bought 1x, i love it, but i bought on the promise ms finally figured it out and cracked the key to a great steady ecosystem. I didn't think they'd seriously release the most expensive console since ps3s dismal launch only to announce in 2 years they're abandoning it. Then they made good on long term support with saying everything will run on both.... Then backed down from that. They seem like there running in circles without a plan, revising on the fly, and x1x feels wiiu/32x like. "Thanks for paying for the r&d of the real machine."

I'm excited that there's an upgrade.... But feel kind of betrayed that x1x really was the cynical worst case scenario of an expensive disposable stop gap, and not a bold step in a new cycle like they led us to believe.

Between wiiu and 1x, Sony's the only one that i don't feel like they lied and ripped me off with ps4..... Except they ripped me off with Vita to launch ps4........

@Dezzy makes me wonder why hdmi 2.1 is still pushed as a thing if no games are really targeting 4k120 and everything is 30fps or 1080/120 anyway. I'm feeling good about my new 4k60 hdmi 2.0 display..... can't wait for my $400 checkerboard box again! Plus $500 vr, of course...

NEStalgia

Grumblevolcano

I wonder if Elden Ring will appear at Gamescom Opening Night Live.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Octane

I completely forgot about that game...

Octane

BruceCM

Heh, it's been awhile since it was 1st teased .... Let's hope it is there!

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

NEStalgia

In similar "everything's a Souls clone" thought, I caved last sale and bought Nioh 2. That was going to be my GoT buy, but Nioh was on sale and GoT isn't yet.

I don't know why I bought it, I never made it past the second boss in the first game But something about it is really addictive. The engine still performs terribly and isn't that pretty. I'm hoping the second one adds some polish. The opening is already much better than the Tower of London in the first. But I haven't even made it past the weapon selection room. So many weapons, so hard to choose. So far I guess I'll go with tonfa and glaive...two extremes? But they're all so interesting. For spirit I had to go magic....I mean your spirit animal is a freaking literal sharknado, how can you NOT choose that?

NEStalgia

Octane

Speaking of spirit animals, what happened to that game called WiLD? The Rayman creator was behind that project, right? Was that a Ubisoft game? Beyond Good & Evil 2 also disappeared from the face of the Earth. Remember Deep Down? Someone should do a top 10 AWOL games.

Octane

NEStalgia

@Octane Apparently crowdsourcing development of BG&E2 wasn't going well so they fired all the free employees that paid to work there from Tumblr. Poor Ancel....invited everyone to join his Space Monkey Program, but not enough people wanted to touch his monkey project.

Seriously, though, Ubi did say they have one (or two?) more Forward events, so I suspect the bigger games like that will all be mentioned in the events closer to the holidays and next gen launch. I imagine they don't want to overshadow their big cash cow in AC this holiday though.

That said, WiLD and BG&E 2 are both Michel Ancel projects, so I can't imagine him having the time to work on experimental WiLD and So Far Beyond Good and Evil we Ran Out of Budget 3 Years Before Release Just Rendering the Trailer, at the same time. And I guess that means no Rayman for quite a while.

I was curious about BG&E2 missing from the presentation until Yves (not in his "I'm a Little Teapot" stance for once) came on and said this was only part of the presentation.

Deep Down, on the other hand...yes, Capcom's colossal joke. Ohno had really encouraging words for the future of the game when he said it "hasn't been completely given up on." Then he left the company......

NEStalgia

Ralizah

Well, based on the rumored specs, Series S would still be a solid step up over One X in a lot of ways.

But, yes, a new Xbox that can't play new Xbox games sounds like a nightmare. And digital only is going to make it a miss for me, along with a lot of other people who own 360/One game discs.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Anti-Matter

@Ralizah
So, how many confusing names of Xbox products?
Let's see...
Xbox One
Xbox One X
Xbox One S
Xbox Series X
Xbox Series S
Am i missing something ?

Anti-Matter

Octane

@NEStalgia Apparently they updated the website for WiLD earlier this year. Looks like it's still in development. Didn't expect that to be honest.

@Ralizah Unless it's really cheap, I don't see the point. May as well stick with One X if you want a cheap console. At least that one has a disc drive as well.

Octane

NEStalgia

@Ralizah Replacing a console that was all about native 4k with a console that can't do 4k is still a significant downgrade. It may do better vfx and have a better cpu, but ultimately it downgrades what was the primarily focus of the sales pitch of the prior console. That's kind of a mess. It's like New 2DS. Sure it's more powerful than your old 3DS, but it doesn't have the 3D, or the non-clamshell of the old 2DS. It's sort of a pariah for anyone upgrading - it does some things better, and major tentpoles worse or not at all. Not a bad product, technically, but a VERY odd sidegrade for existing owners.

Imagine Switch Pro coming out that can play Cypberpunk at ultra low settings at 540p. But ONLY plays games at 540p and can't do better? It would be both an upgrade and a downgrade to existing owners. Better vfx, more power, but the overall resolution was a downgrade from what you already had.... That's what an X1X owner is looking at with the rumors of XSeS. At least PS5 discless is still a PS5 and definitely not worse at anything than PS4 Pro....

Never, ever release a console that's WORSE at something than your prior console.....

EDIT: Or, put a different way, imagine releasing a game on PS4 that had beautiful drop-dead gorgeous graphics, and a horrid ear-shredding soundtrack. Now imagine making a different version of the same game with more content, a fixed soundtrack and some QoL improvements but with horrifically downgraded graphics, and selling it at full price? It's kinda like that.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

Ralizah

@Octane Honestly, I might just snag an Xbox One S at some point if they go cheap enough as a replacement for the Xbox 360. Better controller + access to Rare Replay!

@NEStalgia Not sure I can agree there, champ. There's absolutely space in the home console market for a cheaper 1080p alternative to the next-gen consoles. It's not even really a "downgrade" if the games it runs are hitting native res on your display.

Stereoscopic 3D was unpopular, so there was also space in the market for a 3D-less handheld from Nintendo that wasn't an uncomfortable wedge.

Please note that New 2DS played all the same games as New 3DS. That's where the Series S fails, if the rumors turn out to be true. Well, that and the lack of a disc drive, but the former is far more damning, IMO.

And if you think DQXI S is "horrifically downgraded," you haven't played it. The lighting/textures are worse, but it's still a very attractive game. Aren't you the one who mocks the fixation on graphical fidelity anyway, or is that only a thing when Halo Infinite looks like an Xbox One game?

Octane

@Ralizah Unpopular opinion, but I think Rare Replay is very overrated. But maybe that's because the only games worth playing are Banjo Kazooie and Tooie. But they don't even come close to DKC.

Octane

Ralizah

Octane wrote:

Unpopular opinion, but I think Rare Replay is very overrated. But maybe that's because the only games worth playing are Banjo Kazooie and Tooie. But they don't even come close to DKC.

Viva Pinata 1 + 2 are both amazing.

Battletoads and Killer Instinct: Gold are good games as well.

The Banjo games also have a legendary reputation, and I'm eager to try them out. Conker's Bad Fur Day as well. And Perfect Dark.

And there's a whole bunch of older Rare games I'm eager to try out.

Edited on by Ralizah

Octane

@Ralizah I played a ton of Conker's back in the day, but I don't see myself ever returning to it. It feels like a product of its time, but I'm not really nostalgic for it anymore.

Octane

jump

Conker is dated as hell with the pop culture references.

With the control update to Jet Force Gemini on Rare Replay I actually find it's one of the better games to play now.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic