Forums

Topic: The Megami Tensei Thread

Posts 361 to 380 of 1,353

TheFrenchiestFry

@Slowdive After Persona 5 blew up I can't see SMTV not at least getting a chunk of that audience to come over. Especially given Nocturne HD is going to come to PS4 for the Persona crowd to try out as well.

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

TheFrenchiestFry

@GilbertXI I already have some faith the game will be a step up from XV quality wise since this very much looks like something the Realm Reborn team were making. Naoki Yoshida is even producing it as well which definitely indicates quality on that end. Dark fantasy is also a super refreshing setting for the series after years of either medieval high fantasy, science fantasy, science fiction or fantasy elements in a grounded world

TheFrenchiestFry

GilbertXI

@Slowdive very much so i think. Unfortunately, it will probably stay in the shadow of persona, you can tell that just by the comments of the first showcase during and after the Atlus logo was shown. Not knocking down persona, I like both equally, just wish SMT had more time to shine.

GilbertXI

GilbertXI

@TheFrenchiestFry yes, definetely, but a lot of people aren't liking the change. I guess most people dismiss any sort of dark or high fantasy setting as generic now, which makes me seethe. The trailer was confusing as ****, but from what I could gather, it is some sort of interdimensional war between two armies of crystals, similar to IX in a sense actually. I sort of have mixed feelings about the dark theme, as it was the only series I could actually play with my brother around, as he's sensitive to gore and other things(Mara). Oh well, we'll have to wait for a while, so I guess I need to keep myself causiously optimistic.

GilbertXI

Ralizah

@Slowdive @TheFrenchiestFry I hope SMT V blows up, although I think indications are more likely that it'll be a cult classic and not so much a blowout success like Persona 5 was.

We'll see. They just need to not release it next to some big first-party release.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PC); Unicorn Overlord (NS)

TheFrenchiestFry

@Ralizah Atlus is a much bigger developer now than they were when SMTIV or any of the DS games were coming out so I think that and a simultaneous launch in all territories is really going to help it at least get somewhat close to Persona levels of success. I don't see this game being underrated or amassing a retroactive cult following though. Atlus are long past the days of that.

TheFrenchiestFry

GilbertXI

@Ralizah that will most likely be the case. It will give Atlus an incentive to put in effort and make a quality game, that's good.

GilbertXI

TheFrenchiestFry

So far, Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne - HD Remaster is the only confirmed Atlus title at Tokyo Game Show. There may still be a chance for SMTV to make an appearance given this is just for day 2, but I also would not expect Persona 5 Strikers to get announced for the West here since it is a Japanese-based trade show

TheFrenchiestFry

Alex90

I want to see the combat in SMT V. I'm curious to see some fresh twerks on the press turn system. But I guess this will not come this year. Sad now

Playing
(Via Steam/Steam Play):
Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne HD Remaster
Disciples III Reincarnation

TheFrenchiestFry

@Alex90 I want Smirking to come back

Love that mechanic

Also a pipe dream but incorporating the Fusion Search feature from Devil Survivor into mainline or Persona has been a dream of mine for a long time

TheFrenchiestFry

GilbertXI

I can't help but notice that the original persona 5, not royal, is in the PlayStation plus collection. Definetely makes sense, as it came out this year, but I think it just goes to show how stubborn Sony is to do something like gamepass on their consoles.

GilbertXI

TheFrenchiestFry

@GilbertXI Honestly when looking at it from a business standpoint PS Plus Collection is actually more beneficial for the company since they're not simply providing new games they spent millions of dollars to make and basically selling them at a loss by tying them to a fixed and cheaper subscription model. In a sense, and especially given the fact I vastly prefer the PS4 library I honestly consider this better than Game Pass just as a service even though Game Pass is the better value proposition

Also yeah of course it would just be vanilla Persona 5. Royal's only been out for 6 months in the West and it is clearly still profitable considering how well it's already done even without Scramble having come to the West as well as being an extremely late gen PS4 game.

TheFrenchiestFry

GilbertXI

@TheFrenchiestFry I knew that they wouldn't do it, frankly I didn't expect the collection at all. I guess Im just trying to say that when we get down to the bottom of it, the whole collections seems kind of pointless to the average consumer. Sony already made sure if you cared enough about the games, then you probably bought it already. Probably the games that will benefit the most from this would be Days Gone(fantastic game IMO) which was the very definition of a sleeper hit, battlefield 1 because it's battlefield 1, and maybe FFXV. I just don't see the point in them adding persona, I think Dreams would've been a good choice, it didn't sell that well, and that would be an eye-catcher to the general audience. There's an audience for those kinds of games, as evidenced by the now 20 million courses in super Mario Maker 2. I see what they were trying to do, but I also don't see it. Then again, I'm no businessman, and I probably already put more thought into it than needed. It just felt kind of strange.

Yes I agree, I very much prefer Sony and Nintendo's libraries to Microsoft. Halo, at least the bungie ones, I consider a complete masterpiece in it's respective genre, but I wouldnt be here if I didn't like turn based RPGs, which Halo is almost the complete opposite of. I think the argument of how Microsoft and Sony exclusives are all the same except for aesthetics is BS, or at least it's never truly talked about beyond "this genre is better than that, so this console is superior". Killzone and Halo are almost completely different in every way, except for the setting and point of view. I have a lot of friends who play casually, and I bet you in a few months even when the PS5 is out, the ps plus collection will be news to them. Just like almost everything about anything from that showcase, it needed to be advertised more.

GilbertXI

TheFrenchiestFry

@GilbertXI PSO2 coming to the West is big considering how long this localization actually had been in development, essentially throughout the lifecycle of the current gen consoles. I think the Western release was announced in like 2013

Also of course Persona 5 did a collab event with that game. Since it's coming to Switch I guess it's yet another instance of Atlus doing everything in their power to promote Persona 5 on Switch without actually putting the game on the console lmao

TheFrenchiestFry

Ralizah

@GilbertXI wtf

The game is due out next year. Very weird that it's not appearing at TGS, since it should be extremely far along in development.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PC); Unicorn Overlord (NS)

GilbertXI

@TheFrenchiestFry yeah, I'm not too big on mmo's, but PSO2 is a big ocassion considering how long it's been. Hopefully if it does well in the west, it could persuade Square Enix to localize dragon quest X, DQ is slowly becoming more popular in the west, most likely from Smash.

GilbertXI

GilbertXI

@Ralizah I mean, considering the marketing of persona 5, I don't think we should hold our breaths it will stay in 2021. Who knows, they might just shadow drop a trailer without us knowing during the show. At least we know that Nocturne will most likely be on time. Now Atlus, when are you guys going to remaster Jack Bros?

GilbertXI

TheFrenchiestFry

@GilbertXI Yeah but the thing is Persona 5's info distribution was also considerably more consistent compared to SMTV. There were at least one or two trailers each year since its announcement in 2013 despite all the delays. SMTV practically went completely radio silent after two trailers in 2017 and only just resurfaced, which is something more reminiscent of what happened with FFVII Remake and how it took 4 years for any solid new footage and info to be detailed following the PSX 2015 trailer

It's safe to assume they were probably working super extensively on it during that time frame to make sure it doesn't suffer from the poor communication and constant delays Persona 5 received, especially as it's also Atlus' first ever simultaneous worldwide release.

TheFrenchiestFry

GilbertXI

@TheFrenchiestFry Very true, but we all know that Atlus was prioritizing Persona within that time frame. It might just be me, but I saw little to no advertising for SMT IV or Apocalypse, the development of mainline has usually been kept more of a secret.Im guessing we'll get at least one new trailer by Nocturnes release in the west, they might do a game awards thing(is that still going on? I think so, might be wrong), but that's probably wishful thinking. As I said, best case scenario is they actually have a trailer and are using it as a surprise during TGS. Even if that does happen, which is doubtful, we definetely won't get an extended gameplay trailer. Covid has also been a giant wrench, especially in Japan.

GilbertXI

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic