Forums

Topic: Soulsborne Series Thread

Posts 381 to 400 of 441

Losermagnet

I beat the Fire Giant, damage sponge that he was. I made it all the way to the Godskin Duo, got smooshed once, and put it down.

@Snatcher update - absolving your sins was not an option. Evidently killing this one character doesn't constitute as murder.

@BruceCM oh wow, congrats on the move. That's exciting!

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

Snatcher

@Losermagnet Really? Thats so odd? I'm sorry man ):

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

I’m very much alive!

Current obsession: Persona 3 reload.

BruceCM

Thanks, it was more like a lot of stress & organising things, @Losermagnet ... But just the wi-fi left to be set up now & if I can get the blinds put up, that'll be great

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Pizzamorg

Varkster wrote:

@Losermagnet I would say 3 is quite good after all the updates and DLCs were added. They expanded on the lore in good ways, had really good endings to some of the major plotlines and the gameplay is the best out of all the 3 games.

It was very easy to hate on when it first came out but revisiting it recently, I thought the game was very solid.

Everybody praises 2 a lot but honestly it did nothing to progress the main plot. Other than having an interesting cast of characters and a good final mission it didn't do a lot for me. It also changed a lot of the existing characters who did very out of character things throughout which became very noticeable for me on recent playthroughs.

Also, I felt the environment design was a lot less inspired and the gameplay was nowhere near as good as 3. Mass Effect 2 was a cover and use your powers/shoot simulator with little strategy in between.

ME1 did a fantastic job at introducing the world and lore but the gameplay may fall short for a lot of people and the characters aren't as developed as they were in the following games.

I know this is off topic so I will keep it brief, but I have never met a single person to share this opinion with me and it just nice. You've also posted some of the most rational responses to Elden Ring in this thread, too, which I quietly read with a nod of approval as I lurked in the background.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Varkster

@Pizzamorg Much appreciated, man. I just think a lot of praise goes to games which clouds the negative things that stick out to me and unfortunately a lot of people just like to group themselves with others. If a game is universally loved that means anybody who didn't enjoy it is bad at games or has a shallow mind. If a game is hated anybody that loves it is just a contrarian who likes bad games. There is usually no middle ground.

If Elden Ring was amazing to me during my playtime I would have been honest about it. Unfortunately that just wasn't the case.

Varkster

Snatcher

I know this is off topic, but I decided to finally try fallen order again, the first time I played it about a year ago I couldn’t stand it, mainly because I never played a souls like game before, and I thought it was a button masher type thing Lmao, but now that I got some elden under my belt, I gave it a shot today.

What can I say? I love this game, and really wish I took time to actually learn it the first time instead of just writing it off as boring, thank you for reading this off topic comment if you did.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

I’m very much alive!

Varkster

@Snatcher Fallen Order is close enough to Souls that I wouldn't classify it as off-topic. I picked it up on Steam a week ago thanks to the big discount and I gotta say it's quite enjoyable.

The combat can feel clunky because of the animations and camera movement but I give them points since its Respawn's first TPA game and they were undoubtedly rushed to release by EA.

I didn't pick it up at first because I was burnt out by Star Wars but playing it now I'm enjoying a lot of it. The characters are fun, the story is simple but straightforward. I like the main character which is quite important in a game like that and the different environments are fun. I also do enjoy exploration with the environmental puzzles like in Tomb Raider. I wish Souls games had more of this type of stuff.

Also game is quite short so at least you won't have to invest days of your time.

Varkster

Losermagnet

@Snatcher i've wanted to try Fallen Order actually, i'm glad you reminded me. I've seen in mentioned in a lot of "best souls-like" lists. I like that it looks kinda Soulsy but seems a good deal different too.

Fwiw the only souls-like that i've really enjoyed (outside of the fromsoft games) is Hollow Knight. I own Nioh 1 + 2 but havent played much, and I tried Blasphemous but it didnt really stick with me.

Edited on by Losermagnet

BruceCM

Fallen Order is pretty good, IMO.... Not sure I'd describe it as soulslike, though I know it often is

SW-4357-9287-0699

JoyBoy

Yeah it was just on sale. Forgot to grab it though

Edited on by JoyBoy

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

Snatcher

@Varkster They we’re rushed? Dang, I wouldn’t have really guessed, nor would I have known it was respawn.

@Losermagnet Wile hollow knight doesn’t have souls gameplay style, I would still kinda count it, it’s world bosses, and a few other things take heavy inspiration from the dark souls series.
I also put fallen order one difficulty higher, just because I heard it gets easy later on, if it turns out to be too hard, I will turn it down.
I hope everything gets better for you too.

@BruceCM I didn’t really at first, but there is a lot of stuff they do similar, wile doing a lot of things different, I think the devs even compared it to sikero at one point.

@JoyBoy It goes on sale pretty often I say, so you will get another shot, I’m using Game pass to play it at the moment.

I’m very much alive!

Varkster

@Snatcher EA is the publisher, so of course they were rushed. The game came out between Episode VIII and IX so you know for a fact that EA was trying to make sure the game comes out before the last movie so they could make a lot of the money back from making this game. You can see a lot of this in some of the game's unpolished graphics and animations. As I said, some of the combat may sometimes feel clunky or unresponsive, some of the puzzles can be frustrating, etc.

Overall a solid game, though. Worth the playthrough especially for anyone interested in Star Wars.

Varkster

Snatcher

@Varkster Ah, I see, I totally notice some of the unpolished aspects, EA sucks dude lol. So many games crashed only because they couldn’t wait, the few that actually survives, are lucky.

I’m very much alive!

Losermagnet

@Snatcher yeah hollow knight is just close enough to be considered soulsy, even though it plays more like a Metroidvania.

Has anybody tried Mortal Shell? That one looks really good.

JoyBoy

Iirc I got Mortal Shell with ps plus. Was waiting for a 60 fps update but I don't think it'll come. So I might as well try it out one of these days.

SW-7849-9887-2074

Snatcher

@Losermagnet First time I have heard about it.

I’m very much alive!

BruceCM

Played that, too, @Losermagnet .... Pretty good, IMO, so if you like the look of it, get it sometime

SW-4357-9287-0699

JoyBoy

So did anyone ever find out how to reach that plateau in the bottem left corner of Liurnia? I want to go there but, I don't want to look it up maybe someone likes to give me a hint! But i'm guessing it's via a portal.

SW-7849-9887-2074

Losermagnet

@JoyBoy YESSSSSS i know exactly what you're talking about and it bothered me for ages. You will access that area as part of an optional questline: Ranni, the blue witch girl. There is no other area that i've wasted more time trying to get to.

As for Mortal Shell (and other Souls-like games in general) the thing that gives me pause more often than not they all seem so grimdark (for lack of better term). Like, Dark Souls is pretty bleak but it has just a touch of whimsy that I really like. Seigmeyer is a great example of a silly character that actually has some depth.

Edited on by Losermagnet

Losermagnet

It just dawned on me that one of my least favorite things about Elden Ring is the menus. Like seriously what is with that strange tiered structure? And it's made way worse by having so many crafting items. It may be nitpicky, but it's one thing about the game I really can't stand. That is all, carry on!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic