Forums

Topic: PC Gaming

Posts 1,521 to 1,540 of 2,134

Ryu_Niiyama

Mildly annoyed that I am considering buying the anniversary edition of Skyrim. Been playing since day one (recently started over again) but my concern is my mods. Skyrim looks really pretty modded to death but without that… not so much. Plus I would have to recreate my standard Dragonborn that I have been using for a decade. Yet the added items sound nice. Decisions, decisions.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

6ch6ris6

Ryu_Niiyama wrote:

Mildly annoyed that I am considering buying the anniversary edition of Skyrim. Been playing since day one (recently started over again) but my concern is my mods. Skyrim looks really pretty modded to death but without that… not so much. Plus I would have to recreate my standard Dragonborn that I have been using for a decade. Yet the added items sound nice. Decisions, decisions.

cant you take your save files with you? wasnt that one of the features they presented back when the game was revealed?

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

BruceCM

Yeah but only saves that haven't used mods, @6ch6ris6 .... Although since Anniversary Edition is boasting about how much "community content" it's adding, that might be most of the best mods finally put in officially

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

6ch6ris6

oh damn. i think i only ever used the mod where the game marks books that you already read.

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

BruceCM

Not the Unofficial Patch, @6ch6ris6 ....? Or the 1 that restores a lot of content that was mostly in the coding but not quite finished? Anyway, I'm not sure if I'll be getting Anniversary Edition yet, I'll see just how much it is & the final details on just what's in it

SW-4357-9287-0699

Ryu_Niiyama

@6ch6ris6 My game is very heavily modded. I run over 80 mods and that doesn’t include the land texture mods. Also I am running the initial release with dlc so not the legendary edition. As almost all of my mods are either bug fixes or texture mods and inventory enhancements I don’t know if the stuff in the anniversary edition is a good trade off.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

RR529

Still pretty new to PC gaming, and I've just been informed that my laptop is ready to upgrade to Windows 11.

Will doing so possibly impact performance, mess with my saves, or anything like that? Or would it hurt to stick with 10 for now?

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

BruceCM

Well, it definitely shouldn't affect saves, @RR529 .... It'd be supposed to improve performance but being in early stages, I wouldn't like to guarantee that, maybe others know how well it's working already?
Apparently, I'd have to go messing around in the BIOS to sort out mine, so I haven't done that yet & it won't upgrade until I do
It certainly shouldn't be a problem sticking with 10 to see how 11 does for a bit longer, though

SW-4357-9287-0699

JasmineDragon

Heads up, Mass Effect Legendary Edition is now on sale on Steam, $40. Might get cheaper further down the road, of course, but that's a good enough deal for me. One hell of a download, though. I might not be playing this until tomorrow at the rate it's going...

Switch FC: SW-5152-0041-1364
Remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.

JaxonH

I'm still holding out hope for Mass Effect Trilogy on Switch.

But if it's not announced by the time my Steam Deck arrives, I may just play it there. Need to see battery life though. Once you get accustomed to 5-6 hrs it's hard to go back to 3. Maybe with low settings at 720p/30fps it can top 4 hrs. That would be reasonable.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Pizzamorg

I’d honestly be surprised if they could get ME running on the Switch natively, without some severe compromises. Even the original ME on the 360 barely ran well for the console it was designed for. What was the Biotic, I think it was warp, the stasis ball you could put down? You could place that and literally tank the frame rate down to single digits. With that in mind, the Leg edition I think would require more optimisation than they’d want to do, to get it to run well on the Switch.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

JaxonH

Steam Deck delayed by 1 Quarter. So my Q2 2022 is now Q3 2022, basically a year from now. Whatever.

ATTN EVERYONE
If you're looking to get into PC gaming, or perhaps want an alternative to PS5/XSX, Newegg currently has a very good pre-built for $1250 with an Nvidia RTX 3060 GPU. It's only an Intel i5 CPU and only has 512GB NVMe storage but for $1250 that's a fantastic price to get in, especially with the GPU shortage.

https://www.newegg.com/abs-ali570/p/N82E16883360205?item=N82E...

@Pizzamorg
ME3 ran on Wii U just fine. They could do it like all the other remasters and just port it and make a few changes Switch can handle, like Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag (which ran poorly on Wii U and PS3/360 yet is flawless on Switch).

Question is whether EA will bother. We'll see.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Pizzamorg

I didn’t even know ME3 had a Wii U port. I will trust your expertise on the quality of that port. I also had no idea AC Black Flag was on Switch. I might have to look at picking that up.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Ryu_Niiyama

Oh snapity, snap, snap! I realize this is old news, but I'm excited. I haven't used the PC part of my gamepass sub (Just needed ultimate for gold and xbox) since My gaming rig needs an update but I didn't know that all 3 age of empires and rise of nations games are on there! I may have to see if my surface pro can survive installing these. RTS games are my bread and butter.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

Matt_Barber

Give it a whirl. There's a lot of good stuff on Game Pass that can run on an absolute potato.

Some of the more recent Surface Pro models, i.e. anything past around 2017, have quite decent integrated graphics too and can even play some of the AAA games at lower settings.

Matt_Barber

Ryu_Niiyama

Welp, I'll take a chance on skyrim anniversary. will have to spend the weekend ether reinstalling or getting new versions of my mods.

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

chipia

I'm currently in need of a new laptop, and I consider using this chance to get a Gaming Laptop, to have access to the next AAA games like Elden Ring. Currently I'm looking at the HP Omen 15 (https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c07905752).

However I'm worried how long the Laptop will last. My last two laptops (non-gaming ones) had their Monitors break after a few years. I don't want to pay a lot for a machine that will be broken in a few years, especially given that I don't play that often.

Is it true that Gaming Laptops last longer than regular ones, before their hardware deteriorates? How long did your gaming laptops last? Also, how long would a current Gaming Laptop like the HP Omen 15 be able to play modern games with reasonable graphics settings?

chipia

JaxonH

Just bought Skyrim anniversary, Forza Horizon 5 and all the DLC, Zombie Army 4 and the season passes, GTAIV and Star Wars: Rogue Squadron.

Gonna hold off on Deathloop until there’s a fairly deep sale, as well as Psychonauts 2, Guardians of the Galaxy and Far Cry 6. I will be getting the Halo campaign day one though, as well as God of War and Eldin Ring (even though I know I’m probably going to give up on it because it’s the same brutally difficult Souls formula as all the other Souls games I gave up on).

@Ryu_Niiyama
My brother loves Gamepass and uses Series X and PC for it.

My issue is, Gamepass on PC isn’t Steam, but on Windows. And I need my games on Steam for the built in controller config to assign gyro to any game in a matter of seconds. I know many games don’t involve aiming so it’s not really an issue, but because I rely on Steam for that I preferred to have my entire collection on Steam so I don’t have to have my games split across multiple platforms on PC. It’s why I don’t even bother downloading free games given away by Epic. Because I know I’m never going to play games on Epic. If it means waiting a year for the steam release, so be it. If it means never getting the game at all then I’ll just play something else.

But if you don’t have that same issue I do then it’s a no brainer.

@Pizzamorg
So, Assassins Creed III Collection released on Switch with 3 and Liberation (the Vita game). It had a few frame rate drops but they patched it up. Then the AC Rebel Collection released with both Black Flag and Rogue, and it’s immaculate. Rock solid Framerate, native resolution, amazing gyro aiming, the works. Even has bonus content art and videos and stuff. It’s a must have, the definitive portable AC experience.

Mass Effect 3 on Wii U was really solid. Gyro aiming, quality gamepad integration with touch support giving commands to team mates, etc. but it did horribly because they released it for $60 at the same time they released the trilogy on PS3/360 for $60. So not only was it fighting an uphill battle releasing on Wii U with its abysmal install base, the dominating narrative around its release was how much of a rip off it was compared to the trilogy. So it never stood a chance. But it was a rock solid port.

I really like playing games where I can enjoy them in hybrid fashion on the TV or in handheld mode, so I buy a lot of third-party multiplat games on the system. Some of the standouts are Alien Isolation, Assassins Creed Rebel Collection, Bioshock Remastered Collection (no gyro though), Borderlands Legendary Collection, Burnout Paradise (60fps), Crash Bandicoot 4, Crysis Remastered Trilogy, Darksiders (best to stick with the first- 60fps mode and the others aren’t standout ports), Diablo II Remastered and Diablo 3, Disco Elysium, Divinity Original Sin 2 (cross save with Steam), Doom Eternal, DB Fighter Z and DBZ Kakarot, DQXIS, Dragon’s Dogma (no gyro though), Dying Light, Fatal Frame, Final Fantasy X/X-2 and Final Fantasy XII, God Eater 3, Hades (cross save with Steam), Hellblade Senua’s Sacrifice, LA Noire, Metro 2033 and Last Light Redux, Mortal Kombat XI, Need For Speed Hot Pursuit, Ni No Kuni (first runs better than the second), Ori Blind Forest and Ori Will of the Wisps (the games look amazing on Switch and get the full 60), Overwatch, Persona 5 Strikers (some jaggies but still a quality version of a game I love), Pillars of Eternity (people complain about bugs but my brother played through and didn’t really have any issues), Resident Evil 4 (no gyro), 5, 6, Revelations 1/2, Rocket League, Saint’s Row 3 and 4, Civilization VI (cross save with Steam), Sniper Elite v2, 3 and 4, South Park Stick of Truth and Fractured But Whole, KOTOR, Monkey Ball Banana Mania, Tetris Connected, Skyrim, Great Ace Attorney Chronicles, Trails of Cold Steel 3 and 4, Tony Hawk, Trials Rising, Valkyria Chronicles 1 and 4, XCOM 2, Y’s VIII (stay away from IX, too many performance issues), and Zombie Army Trilogy.

That’s not everything but those are definitely the highlights of multi platform games that I think are good buys on Switch and aren’t too heavily downgraded and don’t suffer from performance issues to the extent it really detracts.

Edited on by JaxonH

Sunsy

I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned here. Halo Infinite's multiplayer launched today on Steam. Giving a heads up to those who wanted to play Halo's Infinite's multiplayer.

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic