Forums

Topic: PC Gaming

Posts 1,521 to 1,540 of 1,562

skywake

All this talk of the Steam Deck got me realising how many games I have on PC I don't play because of the way I like to play games. And the Steam Deck is years away from an Australian release so I bit the bullet and got myself a laptop. Would've got a Switch Pro instead and pocketed the change if that was a thing but it's not so here we are. Putting my money where my mouth is.

Nothing high end or "gaming" grade just a fairly mid-entry level machine. Ryzen 4500U so a bit over the Steam Deck spec on CPU but probably a bit under on GPU. Plenty for indie releases and 360 era games at 1080p and even some early XBOne era releases. For the stuff it can't run in-home streaming can fill the gaps. More than enough for my usage. Really, doesn't take much to get a fairly reasonable spec these days

On a similar note, it's kinda crazy looking at reviews of this spec of laptop and it seems every other line is about how it's "not suitable for gaming". Then you look at the benchmarks and even this spec beats the mid-range desktop I built for myself 6 years ago. Crazy how fast things are moving when you stop and think about it, especially compared to the relatively slower pace between 2010 and 2015.

Edited on by skywake

Some Aussie musics: Pond, TFS, Genesis Owusu
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

JaxonH

@skywake
I feel for you. It’s hard enough waiting on Steam Deck with NA release being prioritized. By the time it actually comes back in stock and releases worldwide, Switch 2 will likely be out.

That said, you could always look at a GPD Win 3 or Aya Neo. But for the price, you’re probably better off spending it on a Steam Deck from eBay. For $850 I’d rather have a Deck, tbh. But that’s just me. That gyro is crucial.

Laptop can be a good compromise though. It’s not as portable and isn’t something you’ll just carry around everywhere. But it’s got it when you need it. I’d invest in a nice shoulder bag where you can slip the laptop and a controller in, make it easier to tote around.

I thought about getting a laptop, but… with SteamDeck coming out there’s really no longer a need. It’s just a painful wait in the meantime. Glad you found something that works for you though. I think a lot of people are realizing they just don’t play their games when they’re tethered to a single stationary screen. The freedom of portability cannot be overstated, no matter how much trolls and console warriors try to diminish its importance.

PLAYING
NS: Monkey Ball, Cruis'n Blast
3DS: Metroid Samus Returns
Steam: Horizon Zero Dawn
PS5: Ghosts of Tsushima
MOST EXCITED FOR
NS: Metroid Dread, SMTV, Bayonetta 3, Splatoon 3, Triangle Strategy, MH Rise Sunbreak, Zelda BotW 2

Jesus is Lord.

RR529

Finished up Ys Seven & then downloaded Flight Sim last night.

Only tried out the latter for a few minutes as it took forever to download and I had to get to bed, but luckily it seems like my laptop should be able to run it at high settings (the game itself recommended based on my specs), and although I almost immediately crashed, it looks absolutely stunning.

Hopefully tonight I'll be able to put some time into the tutorials.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

JaxonH

I'm good.

I double dip on AAA games like Doom Eternal and stuff.

But AA Square Enix JRPGs, they're just not worth forking over price of a new game twice over for. DQXIS, DQ Builders 2, Octopath, Bravely Default 2, Trials of Mana... only way to squeeze two purchases from me is if I bought on PC first and then it came to Switch later. The benefit over Switch like with AAA games just isn't there. There's not even cross save.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
MOST EXCITED FOR
NS: Metroid Dread, SMTV, Bayonetta 3, Splatoon 3, Triangle Strategy, MH Rise Sunbreak, Zelda BotW 2

Jesus is Lord.

Pizzamorg

Anyone played Soul Nomad on PC? Anyone recommend it? I have more interest in that game than Phantom Brave. I see Nintendo Life gave the bundle a not so great review, but Soul Nomad is exactly the kind of game I love playing in handheld on my Switch for an hour or so in bed. However, I can see I can get Soul Nomad just on it's own on PC for like a third of the Switch bundle, but I am struggling to find reviews of the PC specific version.

My @ handle everywhere is Pizzamorg.
My Friend Code is: SW-6997-6872-4381
Switch games currently playing: I am Setsuna, Splatoon 2, Cruis'n Blast, Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition.
Non-Switch games I am currently playing: Life is Strange: True Colors.

JaxonH

@Pizzamorg
Everything I heard was that it's not good.

Personally I'd avoid it unless you really think you'd enjoy it and are confident that money couldn't be better spent with a different game.

PLAYING
MOST EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

Pizzamorg

JaxonH wrote:

@Pizzamorg
Everything I heard was that it's not good.

Personally I'd avoid it unless you really think you'd enjoy it and are confident that money couldn't be better spent with a different game.

Thank you for the heads up, I think I'll give it a skip then.

Switch games currently playing: I am Setsuna, Splatoon 2, Cruis'n Blast, Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition.

RR529

@Kid_Buu, great if true! I've already played God of War & Ratchet & Clank on PS4, but I'll wait for Ghost of Tsushima & Sackboy to hit PC if the leak is correct.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Grumblevolcano

@Kid_Buu It wouldn't be surprising if real about more recent PS to PC, Xbox's journey to PC gave hints of what to look for if Playstation was to follow a similar route. You had the legacy ports here and there and as time went on it became closer to day 1 Xbox + PC until it eventually happened. Now the only major XB1 1st party game that is purchasable on XB1 but not on PC is Halo 5 and that'll probably be ported to PC sometime after Infinite launches.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

TheFrenchiestFry

@Kid_Buu Demon's Souls I honestly kind of expected. Souls has a massive playerbase on PC so tapping into that would be ideal for Sony even if Demon's Souls specifically has a very PlayStation-centric history

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

BruceCM

Awesome if all those games are coming to PC, although I assume Forbidden West will be awhile yet ..... Think it was suggested before that the Demon Souls remake would do but I'll be glad if it does! Along with Ghost of Tsushima & Forbidden West, although the latter will probably be quite awhile yet

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

TheFrenchiestFry

I think that leak from earlier just kind of lost all its credibility looking at other games listed

How are you going to remaster Chrono Cross before Trigger and make KH4 before KH3.752 Penultimate Chapter Epiprologue Remix -a fragementary walkway-

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

Pizzamorg

Deathloop's PC port seems to have some... odd optimisation. I tweaked a few settings like FOV, V-Sync etc but left the default settings which I assumed were auto detected as they were. I played the game and it looked and ran fine, no noticeable frame dips or anything like that. However, when I went into my settings to tweak a few things for my controls, I got a warning that my VRAM has been exceeded. This appears to have no impact on the game and like I say, I was using the settings it defaulted to, so it seems like something must be going wrong in the background with the game eating up way more resources than it really needs.

There is some AMD equivalent of DLSS included, which appears to be able to be used even if you aren't running an AMD card, but this didn't really have much effect on the resource use and made the game look noticeably worse, even when using the quality modes. I would wait for DLSS to be added, if it is going to be added at all.

And I guess if you want raytracing, be prepared to fork out for a 3090, the top end I9 and be willing to play in 30 fps.

Grumblevolcano

@TheFrenchiestFry Chrono Trigger came to PC in 2018 so that's probably recent enough that Square Enix would go straight to Chrono Cross. I'd also guess if real that Square Enix would follow the pattern of the recent FF1-6 remasters and only release a Chrono Cross remaster on PC and mobile.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Pizzamorg

Pizzamorg wrote:

Deathloop's PC port seems to have some... odd optimisation. I tweaked a few settings like FOV, V-Sync etc but left the default settings which I assumed were auto detected as they were. I played the game and it looked and ran fine, no noticeable frame dips or anything like that. However, when I went into my settings to tweak a few things for my controls, I got a warning that my VRAM has been exceeded. This appears to have no impact on the game and like I say, I was using the settings it defaulted to, so it seems like something must be going wrong in the background with the game eating up way more resources than it really needs.

There is some AMD equivalent of DLSS included, which appears to be able to be used even if you aren't running an AMD card, but this didn't really have much effect on the resource use and made the game look noticeably worse, even when using the quality modes. I would wait for DLSS to be added, if it is going to be added at all.

And I guess if you want raytracing, be prepared to fork out for a 3090, the top end I9 and be willing to play in 30 fps.

So it turns out that not only is Deathloop not so great on the optimisation front, it has some nasty bugs. I just missed out on what I am sure are vital rewards because they just didn't spawn or maybe have fallen through the floor. I hope this doesn't break my ability to keep progressing.

Pizzamorg

PC problems aside though, Deathloop is actually pretty fun. I think the reviews sort of set you up for a little disappointment, because it sets expectations that just can't be matched, but this feels like a roguelike game for people who don't like roguelike games. Retaining many of the core ingredients of those games, while adding in various things to curb either the monotony or frustration those titles usually induce in me.

This isn't just a series of fixed encounters you make incremental progress through, to eventually clear. There are goals, missions and purposes to your actions here, meaning you rarely need to go through an encounter more than once. Or if you must revisit it, there is enough possible variance to make it feel like you aren't just being forced to do the same thing over and over.

I wouldn't say it is perfect though, like some of the reviews make it seem. Some of the hit detection on weapons seems super wonky, the enemy AI is straight awful and it seems like they knew it and to counter balance that, you're both very fragile and enemy detection can be insanely broken. Like, I can stealth kill someone to the side of someone and they don't react but then later in a level I can be "spotted" as I am not crouching and it turns out the enemy is across the space behind multiple objects, so I guess they could see me through walls?

Thankfully as you upgrade Cole this becomes less of an issue and the game is quite forgiving when it comes to you making mistakes.

I am sure if someone wants the punishing grind of a roguelike or a refined, stealth, experience they'll probably be disappointed with this but as someone who doesn't care for either, I have been enjoying going through Deathloop's story, exploring the various spaces (and the way in which they can vary depending on the time of day) and making use of the almost sandbox approach to engagements - albeit with a slightly disappointingly small arsenal of gear.

Hacking turrets and setting traps has definitely been my preferred approach so far. When it explodes into all out chaos, like I say Cole is too fragile and the guns feel too wonky for it to be as fun as it feels like it should be, but maybe with some upgrades I'll just go full guns blazing and have a great time.

Edited on by Pizzamorg

JaxonH

Been using VRR via G-sync for about a month now, and I have to say, it’s one of the biggest advancements in video games ever made. It renders framerate fluctuations powerless over the experience. I run Horizon Zero Dawn at 4K 60fps High settings, and because there’s no DLSS, I used to have to turn on Dynamic Resolution to keep the Framerate locked at 60. And that resulted in a much softer image. But now? I just lock resolution and let VRR take care of the rest. It feels like it’s a locked 60 even though, in actuality, it drops to 50 fairly regularly, sometimes even 45. You just never notice with VRR locking your TV refresh rate to the Framerate.

It’s a massive shame SteamDeck won’t have VRR.

@Pizzamorg
I knew right away Deathloop wasn’t a “10”. Anytime a AAA game releases that is exclusive to PlayStation in some way you can pretty much subtract a point from the aggregate if you want an unbiased estimate. ACG review usually tells it how it is for AAA games.

That said, it still looks awesome. I’ve been holding off digging in further on PC until some patches drop (plus Im just swamped with other games anyways) but what you describe is why I suspect I’ll enjoy it more than other rogue likes, which I’m not typically a fan of.

PLAYING
MOST EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

Pizzamorg

JaxonH wrote:

Been using VRR via G-sync for about a month now, and I have to say, it’s one of the biggest advancements in video games ever made. It renders framerate fluctuations powerless over the experience. I run Horizon Zero Dawn at 4K 60fps High settings, and because there’s no DLSS, I used to have to turn on Dynamic Resolution to keep the Framerate locked at 60. And that resulted in a much softer image. But now? I just lock resolution and let VRR take care of the rest. It feels like it’s a locked 60 even though, in actuality, it drops to 50 fairly regularly, sometimes even 45. You just never notice with VRR locking your TV refresh rate to the Framerate.

It’s a massive shame SteamDeck won’t have VRR.

@Pizzamorg
I knew right away Deathloop wasn’t a “10”. Anytime a AAA game releases that is exclusive to PlayStation in some way you can pretty much subtract a point from the aggregate if you want an unbiased estimate. ACG review usually tells it how it is for AAA games.

That said, it still looks awesome. I’ve been holding off digging in further on PC until some patches drop (plus Im just swamped with other games anyways) but what you describe is why I suspect I’ll enjoy it more than other rogue likes, which I’m not typically a fan of.

Yeah I always thought like high refresh rates, VRR, Gsync/FreeSync was a lot of marketing BS but man, when I am not gaming on my monitor, it is pretty rough. I have a better TV now, but at one point I was using a 60 fps TV with no additional tech and man, every game seemed so choppy on it compared to my monitor and I noticed every frame drop. On my PC, a game can suddenly sharply drop like 40 frames and I don't even notice because Gsync on my monitor just smooths everything out and it runs at a really high refresh rate. Just couldn't imagine gaming without it now.

In regards to Deathloop, maybe for the first time ever for me, I am playing a poorly optimised game and don't seem to have it worse than others. My main issue right now is often the game just refuses to open, I just have to keep clicking and eventually it sticks.

But I have had loot drop into the terrain, at least one hard crash and this really weird issue I don't think I've seen in a game before, where the game can't seem to accurately detect my VRAM budget? Sometimes it would tell me I had VRAM to spare and then suddenly I would get a warning that my VRAM was exceeded. This appears to be something wrong with whatever is collating that data, as I never once experienced any noticeable performance degradation during the times when it warned my VRAM was exceeded, so I just ignored it. But it still worries me about what is going here.

And like I say, that in any other world, is a really bad experience but I've read about people who have had dozens of hard crashes, performance degradation, the game running really choppy/poorly etc so people have had it worse than me.

In terms of the game, now I am a bit further in, I am still quite mixed on the game overall. My all time favourite game is BioShock. A fifteen year old game, that used fifteen large levels to make up one cohesive space. Somehow, fifteen years later, we get a space that is divided into four small quarters and a timeloop mechanic to force us to keep visiting the spaces over and over again.

There can be variances to the spaces, but already about 12 hours in, there simply isn't enough. While there is a certain satisfaction to getting map mastery or when you either unlock a new part of a map/discover a new way to traverse through it, given the roguelike elements are so light to the point of being non-existent, it just sorta feels kinda lazy in the end. I barely need to engage with the world at all now, as I know exactly where everything is and the quickest path to each objective on that specific map with the least amount of enemies along the way. Maybe every now and then a unique area will open, but it'll quickly loop back to an area you've been to dozens of times before, so it never really offers a fresh challenge.

Deathloop is effectively a linear game, so why we couldn't just travel through 15 levels to make up Blackreef like BioShock was doing over a decade ago with Rapture, I don't know. The cynical person in me says that they used the timeloop just to scale down the amount of content they actually needed to make for the game.

I feel like I am only as disappointed by this as I am, because Deathloop's systems are surprisingly robust. The trinket system really allows you to focus on how your character will operate in way more specific ways than I could have expected going in. The limited arsenal is kept interesting by the perks the weapons can roll with and the way in which the attachments can add to them. The powers all get upgrades which make them more interesting and focus them in on a specific kind of timescale. And the way all of these synergise together to create uniquely your character, is really satisfying.

There is just nothing to really test and apply this against. Missions will typically have you sneaking into a location, getting some information and then sneaking back out again. The AI is really bad, so other than just deliberately setting off alarms to get yourself in trouble, a well crafted build really hasn't been all that purposeful yet in my experience of playing the game.

Edited on by Pizzamorg

6ch6ris6

i really have to get a new monitor. 1440p, 144hz, freesync is the goal. but i also need a new pc to really get the benefit from the new monitor -.-

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic