Forums

Topic: PC Gaming

Posts 1,501 to 1,520 of 1,555

RR529

Just been adding games to my Steam wishlist for the past couple days, and I was surprised that a game with very explicit sexual content (shown uncensored in the trailer/screenshots) was the first thing that popped up when I went to the JRPG section.

Granted, I knew games such as that were available (and I didn't block them upon account setup as they don't really bother me), however I just assumed they'd be tucked away in their own section of the site & not listed literally right next to mainstream stuff like Final Fantasy, lol.

Anyhow, I think I'm gonna start with something undemanding like Tales of Symphonia or Ys VII just to acquaint myself with how it all works.

@JaxonH, thanks for the in depth controller info! Though I think I'll just play with my DS4 plugged in as I imagine I'll be sitting close enough for it not to be an inconvenience. I'll look into getting a wireless dongle if I ever try hooking it up to the TV though.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

BruceCM

Oooh, so which game was that, @RR529 .....? Games usually have several tags, so they'll appear under any of those

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Matt_Barber

The GPD Win Max 2021 has finally reached crowdfunding:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/win-max-2021-handheld-game...

There's been a last minute spec bump to the i7 1195G7 which, while it won't take it any closer to the Steam Deck on price, should give it a raw power advantage when it comes to CPU intensive games and emulators.

Oh, and it ships in September, so in plenty of time for Christmas. It'll be another year after that before the earliest I could possibly get a Steam Deck, so it's not a difficult decision.

Matt_Barber

RR529

A few more questions.

Is it possible (or necessary) to turn down the refresh rate of the screen? Since it's 240Hz would it make playing games at 30 or 60 FPS look worse unless I turned down the refresh rate?

Speaking of frame rate, are there options to cap frame rate from within Steam, or is there some other application I should be using to do that? I'm planning on not going higher than 60 since not even a consistent 30 bothers me coming from console.

Is it possible to turn the laptop screen off (for if I ever want to plug it into the TV)?

@BruceCM, I think it was called Robo-Life: My time with Ainu or some such (probably misremembering the exact wording of the subtitle there). Looked more like some sort of dating sim (with an anime girl android) rather than a JRPG. Think it got highlighted as it was on sale at the time. Obv NSFW though.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

6ch6ris6

you can change the refersh rate of the display in windows.

you need to put a framerate limiter in each game you play. you can not do that from steam

Edited on by 6ch6ris6

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

BruceCM

Yeah, I've seen that game, @RR529 .... As for framerates, most games have various options in their settings for adjusting graphics settings, which includes whatever choices they offer for that, too

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Xyphon22

@JaxonH Hey, maybe you (or anyone) will be able to help me since you seem to be quite knowledgable on this stuff. A few pages back I asked about getting a controller set up to use on Steam, and I still can't get it to work. I followed that video you just posted a few posts ago, Steam recognizes my controller and shows it there, but it just doesn't work. Neither the sticks nor the buttons do anything. I'm using a PS3 Dualshock 3 because that's what I have and I would prefer not to have to buy a new controller. Do you have any ideas or suggestions? If it helps the 4 buttons on the top (labelled 1, 2, 3, and 4, presumable for what player you are) just keep flashing the whole time it's plugged in (I have it plugged into the laptop, not using bluetooth).

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

JaxonH

@Xyphon22
There are ways, but Steam does not have native DS3 support. You can try activating "Generic Controller Support" and see that works, but no guarantees.

For PC you really need a DS4 or Dualsense (preferably Dualsense).

PLAYING
NS: Warioware, Cruis'n Blast, Ni No Kuni 2
3DS: Metroid Samus Returns
Steam: Horizon Zero Dawn, Deathloop, Tales of Arise
PS5: Spiderman, Ghosts of Tsushima
MOST EXCITED FOR
NS: Metroid Dread, Monkey Ball, SMTV

Jesus is Lord.

Xyphon22

@JaxonH Cool, thanks for the info. The generic setting didn't work either. It gave me a message that for a PS3 controller I need to set it to Playstation. Every indication from Steam is that it is set up and should work, so I didn't know a PS3 one wouldn't. Oh, well. Thanks for the help. Now I know to stop trying.

Xyphon22

Xyphon22

@dmcc0 Thanks. I think I saw that guide once before, and it seemed pretty complicated and I generally don't like just downloading a bunch of random things to my laptop, so I was trying to find a simpler solution (and even that guide says that Steam has native DS3 support, but I guess that's wrong). I assume it's safe, though, so maybe I'll give it a try if I get bored. I don't play many games on PC that really need a controller, but I recently got a couple of Tales of games through a Humble Bundle that seem like they would be much better with one. Maybe I'll try them without, and if I just can't do it I'll try this setup. Thanks again.

Xyphon22

dmcc0

@Xyphon22 Maybe a Windows (assuming you're using Windows) driver issue rather than Steam not supporting it, but it didn't work for me without that SCP tool kit program installed? Could always use a Switch Pro Controller if you have one of those.

dmcc0

Xyphon22

@dmcc0 So I went ahead and tried it out and it worked, but when I went to play a game with it I guess it recognizes it as an XBox controller now, so I had to setup XBox recognition in the settings. When I did, it told me to restart the computer for some reason, and when I restarted Steam no longer said there was even a controller connected (the computer found it, but not Steam). But then I just reran/installed the SCP toolkit and now it works! So thanks, and hopefully I won't have to rerun that every time I want to use a controller.

Xyphon22

dmcc0

@Xyphon22 Glad you got it working. I haven't used the SCP toolkit for a while - I use a 3rd Party (PowerA) Xbox controller on PC now, but I still see the window appear every once in a while to say it's up to date etc so I guess there's an option to have it run at startup or something similar.

dmcc0

RR529

Got my laptop in today! Got everything set up and have been trying it out with Dogfight 1942, a WWII era fighter released back in 2012. Running it at medium settings (just because it's the default) and it's averaging between 200-400 fps, lol. At first I was afraid as I wasn't getting any sound out of it, but then I realized that it automatically switched to headphone mode with the controller connected, and sure enough once I plugged in my headphones that did the trick.

Eventually want to try it out with something more demanding, though.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Ralizah

@RR529 Run Cyberpunk on it with raytracing @ high settings. You'll see those fps numbers plunge VERY quickly.

Currently Playing: WarioWare: Get it Together! (NS)

Upcoming
The Great Ace Attorney 2: Resolve (NS)
God of War (PS4)
Tetris Effect (NS)

RR529

A little update. Set graphics to the highest setting in Dogfight 1942, and have had much more spotty framerates (it would still hit into the 80's to low 100's at times, but would often dip into the 20's as well, averaging between 40-60). Even turning graphics settings back down to medium didn't seem to improve performance to where it was.

Also, even when the game isn't in use, it says that about 6 GB's of my Ram (16 total) is being used. Is that normal? I haven't used it for anything else yet.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

JaxonH

@RR529
Right click the taskbar, select Task Manager and hit the button to see all your running processes.

Could be boatware that came pre-installed. I tend to download Revo Uninstaller and remove any programs I don't want. It could also be running Windows updates in the background or malware scans. Need to set all those schedules to times you won't be using the laptop.

Or, at the very least, select the STARTUP tab in Task Manager and disable as much as possible for the boot sequence. That way only the bare minimum will start running when you boot up the computer.

You also have to consider your performance profile. If you click your battery icon in the notification display (bottom right) you can access your power profiles. If it's set to Low or Medium power usage when on battery, your performance will be stilted any time you're not plugged in. It's meant to save battery but if it's a gaming PC you probably want full performance when gaming.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
MOST EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

RR529

@JaxonH, yeah, I figure not being plugged in at the time probably played a part.

Played the problem mission once more (at med settings) while plugged in and it never dropped below 80 fps (and played some other missions that all performed much better than that). I'll try it again at high settings (still plugged in), and see how it performs there, since that's what I had it set to the first time (unplugged).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

JaxonH

@RR529
You can see here on my GPD Win 2 how if I click the battery when not plugged in I can choose power profiles.

You can also go to advanced power profile settings and choose brightness, CPU utilization, what happens when you close the lid (hibernate is best to save battery), etc , for both plugged in and when on battery.

Untitled

PLAYING
MOST EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic