Forums

Topic: PC Gaming

Posts 1,501 to 1,520 of 2,134

Pizzamorg

People weren't kidding about the weird optimisation of Far Cry 6 on PC. The game makes it seem like I have headroom even with high res texture pack enabled but this appears to be an error as the textures are worse with it enabled, suggesting my hardware is overwhelmed.

However, there is no consistency either way. Some textures are worse than others and cutscenes look awful, and appear to be capped at 30 fps off.

With the high res pack off, the game looks better but still not as good as you might hope. Guapo, a wonderful companion, permanently looks like he is waiting to load in, regardless of HD textures on or off.

The AMD DLSS thing improves thing like Guapo, makes him sharper and more detailed but still never fully there. The problem also is then everything looks over sharpened and weird, even on the ultra quality mode, because some textures seem better optimised than others, so some benefit from this and others don't. Just can't seem to find a good middle ground.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

6ch6ris6

lol why are people even buying consoles anymore?
they don't even get to keep the exclusives

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

RR529

I hope this eventually trickles down to their B-tier stuff like MediEvil & Sackboy. I mean, I could still absolutely play them on my PS4, but it's much harder to find the time to play it in comparison to my laptop.

Luckily, I've already played many of the "big" exclusives I'm interested in, but I'll definitely be holding out on Ghost of Tsushima as that probably won't be too far behind now.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Ralizah

@6ch6ris6 Presumably, fans of Sony games don't want to wait 2 - 4 years to play their games. And, y'know, once things are more back to normal with the chip situation, the consoles will still be cheaper than building an equivalently powerful PC.

But yeah, I'll be waiting to see how this evolves over the generation. I don't really want to buy a console if all of its "exclusive" games go to my PC eventually.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Pizzamorg

It definitely speaks of a wider issue in gaming that generally the early adaptors are always the worse off. You get to play it the day it comes out but that is really your only reward. You are most likely going to be paying a lot more and for most likely an inferior version, whether that be bugs/performance issues/balance issues/exploits or other things which will be patched out or whether it just be that it is exclusive to a platform that is inferior to the platforms it will end up on. If you play a lot of games like I do, I play them Day One because I have nothing else to do, but in this period of gaming, if you only play a couple of titles a year, I really do recommend waiting for at least a year on every release to see where it ends up landing and you'll likely get a huge discount if it is on PC.

Edited on by Pizzamorg

skywake

Ralizah wrote:

And, y'know, once things are more back to normal with the chip situation, the consoles will still be cheaper than building an equivalently powerful PC

Realistically it'll probably go the other way. Consoles are by far the cheaper option currently if you can get a hold of them. I expect once things return to normal we'll hit the usual cycle for console v PC pricing where the value of console gaming slowly erodes as the generation wears on. Assuming we don't get mid-cycle revisions which... I expect we probably will

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Pizzamorg

Given the massive leap in power for the Series X/PS5 over previous gen, the mid gen refreshes could either be really exciting or be as throwaway incremental as the OLED Switch.

Ryu_Niiyama

Hmm. I’ve been watching the AoE IV videos which look great but also led me to the DE versions of the old games… I had ignored them thinking it was just a graphics bump (which is not enough for me to double dip from my CD-ROM versions) buuuuut seeing new factions… guess I have three new, old games to buy. They need to redo Age of Mythology next. I need it.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

6ch6ris6

Ryu_Niiyama wrote:

Hmm. I’ve been watching the AoE IV videos which look great but also led me to the DE versions of the old games… I had ignored them thinking it was just a graphics bump (which is not enough for me to double dip from my CD-ROM versions) buuuuut seeing new factions… guess I have three new, old games to buy. They need to redo Age of Mythology next. I need it.

i got the HD edition years ago and i am still unsure whether i wanna get the DE version. i would feel kinda stupid buying aoe2 AGAIN. third time then, as i also bought it as a kid 20 years ago.

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

Pizzamorg

I am just over thirty hours into Far Cry 6 now and according to my stats, a little under three quarters of the way through. Like almost every Ubisoft game, the bloat is ***** real here. Like it isn't Valhalla levels where it took like 10 hours to get to the opening credits but it is still long and thin. Like the map is huge, but there isn't a huge amount of justification for why it needs to be so big. Lots of dead space, a real lack of variety, not a lot of activities really either. And it is a shame, as some locations are really cool, I just kinda wish they made the map smaller so we were bumping into those more interesting locations more frequently and spending more time in them.

Almost all of the changes this makes from previous games feel like a bust to me. At first, the move to a more looter like system seems strong because your going off the beaten path might reward some kind of special weapon or the next piece for whatever build you are running, but it becomes pretty clear after a while that the loot just isn't interesting. The perks on the gear are never as interesting as some of the skills you could get on the trees in past games, the Supremo backpack adds so little I forget to use it half the time and a lot of the unique/Resolver weapons you'll find and never use, because the new ammo system puts such strict limitations on you, you'll probably run one dedicated arsenal for the whole game and just never change it. Like for real, gear has rarity ratings but it doesn't make any difference as far as I can tell. Take that rifle you get at the start of the game, stick some AP rounds on it and maybe upgrade the silencer and you can ride the whole game with that, as long as you shoot in the head.

That is another real problem for me with this over previous games. Despite what others have said, the game is actually really hard in terms of how fragile Dani is, the limitations imposed on you by the ammo system, the endlessly respawning enemies etc but the difference here is using stealth is so ludicrously overpowered, so ludicrously lopsided, you can easily cheese the ***** out of the game and make it seem like it is super easy. Shots to the head basically circumvent the ammo system and even when taking over bases, I headshot about half a dozen dudes and the base is captured. Silencer is only just starting to get warm.

I always came to Far Cry for the chaos, but you just handicap yourself with chaos here. Dani dies in like three hits, enemies respawn endlessly, vehicles start spawning in, your ammo supply begins to dwindle and if you use the wrong ammo you literally do no damage at all. Just feels *****. Especially when you know you could have cleared the base in about 30 seconds if you used stealth instead.

Finally, I really miss the Guns for Hire. They finally give us a protagonist with a real personality, voice, personality in Dani and so it seems a shame that out in the wild, she doesn't have anyone to share that with. It was always a joy when you had two Guns for Hire interacting with one another and musing on the world and I just couldn't help but wonder at just how much fun Dani, Sharky and Hurk would be together. Like don't get me wrong, having Boomer come back and have him be able to ride around in cars for you got a legit pop from me in a way games don't do for me, but just feels like a wasted potential.

PSVR_lover

Needless to say, this game, Far Cry 6 is not on my list of games to play.

The PSVR is the best VR system on the market today.

Pizzamorg

PSVR_lover wrote:

Needless to say, this game, Far Cry 6 is not on my list of games to play.

If you want a new open world game on PC, I'd recommend just playing Biomutant. I think the game got a pretty unfair shake during the review circuit earlier this year and in response they patched it extensively based upon community feedback. I honestly enjoyed this game a lot. It is very much a "podcast game" but I don't think that is inherently evil. I like having a big open world I can sink some serious hours into but also one that is easy enough that I can just chill out and just ride the experience.

Alternatively, if you haven't played it, I highly recommend Far Cry 5, which I think is the best Far Cry game and by a large margin.

Pizzamorg

Balta666 wrote:

@Pizzamorg @PSVR_lover if I can add a suggestion I Will recommend mass effect Andromeda. The facial animations are still not perfect but way better than at launch and the core gameplay loop, setting, dialogue, etc are superb

I mean they aren't open world, but if you are going to play a Mass Effect game, you may as well play the Legendary edition of the trilogy on PC. My biggest takeaway from playing them all again this year is Mass Effect 3 is legitimately a masterpiece, we can quibble over the ending all we like, but that shouldn't take away from how ME1/2 were both effectively experimentations in the name of getting ME3 as close to perfect as they could and I just feel they nail it. The story, characters, interactions, relationships, combat - I think it is my favourite in the trilogy for sure.

In terms of Andromeda , I feel like it definitely got an unfair shake due to the expectations the ME brand has - if nothing else, I thought it was strong mechanically, even if it felt like a mostly massive step back in regards to everything else. A fun action game, with a robust skill system and nice visuals (even if a lot of the spaces are just empty) - just not the choose your own space opera we have come to expect from the franchise. I would never recommend anyone start with Andromeda, over the OG trilogy.

Pizzamorg

Gave Rider's Republic another chance, after bouncing straight off of it when I tried it the last time. It definitely clicked more for me mechanically this time, but the multiplayer is weirdly terrible given that seems to be what the game is all about? You only get four hours in the trial and we had to sit through over an hour of tutorials and cinematics, before we could even play together and like some of this ***** was so basic. Do you really need like three paragraphs to explain what fast travel is?

Then when we finally were able to play together we couldn't just load into a full race together, we either raced one another in a boring one on one, or both ran the same race together, as the same time, but in our own solo sessions? Why?

JasmineDragon

@Balta666 It's funny you should say that, by coincidence I'm just contemplating buying the trilogy right now as I finally have a PC that can play them. I was going to buy it on PS4, but now that I have a decent PC I'm thinking that's the way I'll go.

Switch FC: SW-5152-0041-1364
Remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.

JaxonH

Mass Effect games are best played on PC or, for the 3rd game, Wii U, ironically enough.

Mapping mouse to gyro is chef’s kiss in those games. It works flawlessly. HDR works well, 4K 60fps is top notch. The Wii U version for ME3 is actually a really good version of the game. It won’t be as pretty as the legendary edition but it does offer Gyro aiming, and the gamepad works really well commanding units. But that’s more for people who don’t have a PC.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

RR529

That I completed Metroid Dread last night is perfect timing, now that Fatal Frame just released (mentioning this in the PC thread since I'm getting it on Steam).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic