Forums

Topic: GOTY 2021 Nominees Discussion

Posts 21 to 40 of 56

Grumblevolcano

Regarding the Cyberpunk categories, I hope Guardians of the Galaxy wins the music category and MH Rise or SMTV wins the RPG category. Cyberpunk shouldn't have been nominated for anything.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Krull

Totally get why Forza wasn’t nominated for the overall prize. It is clearly a really good driving game but, at the end of the day, it is still just another driving game. Making it an overall GotY nominee would be like putting Fifa or Madden up there. It would be a desperately boring choice, no matter how good an entry it was in its series or the genre.

That may be a hot take, but I firmly stand by it.

Dread for the win, or Psychonauts 2. In my view.

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

Pizzamorg

Oh yeah, and if you needed to know what a farce these awards are, the fact that Cyberpunk was nominated for anything despite being one of the biggest scams in gaming history tells you all.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Ralizah

Cyberpunk doesn't even have particularly good music.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Pizzamorg

Krull wrote:

Totally get why Forza wasn’t nominated for the overall prize. It is clearly a really good driving game but, at the end of the day, it is still just another driving game. Making it an overall GotY nominee would be like putting Fifa or Madden up there. It would be a desperately boring choice, no matter how good an entry it was in its series or the genre.

That may be a hot take, but I firmly stand by it..

It is exactly this sort of reductive attitude they cover in that article. Such sweeping statements made both disregards Forza’s critical standing, but the fact that people will still be playing Forza for hundreds of hours, making memories/making friends, long after many of these other games have long been thrown back into the toy box not to be played again.

Now, it is important to place a distinction here - length =/= quality, granted. But to call something “just a racing game” “just a sports game” like it is somehow lesser than say an action adventure narrative title is obtuse at best, woefully negligent at worse.

Video games are not films, they never will be. These awards should be a celebration of the uniqueness of this medium, which you utterly fail to do, when you cut off huge swathes of genres to dedicate sub categories.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Anti-Matter

I prefer Race with Ryan / Blaze & the Monster Machines: Axle City Racers over than Forza games. 😁
Kiddie racing games look way more fun for me than ultra realistic racing.

Anti-Matter

Losermagnet

@NintendoByNature [puts on sorting cap] maybe it's been delayed because it will be on all consoles at release. It definitely will be at some point. Or maybe I'm wrong, when I wear this sorting cap it chews on my head [removes drool-covered sorting cap]

Yeah thats one downside to Metroidvania style games is if I put them down for an extended period of time when I come back I've completely forgotten my abilities, how to get anywhere, and what I was doing.

Are there any other hints at surprise announcements? Ninty is usually pretty good about revealing something during the event. I thing the Awards show itself is a bit of an overly long slog but the announcements help things pick up.

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

NintendoByNature

@Losermagnet oh for sure. I still need to go back and play thru the game. I'd imagine it'll be something fun and new from nintendo. No smash, or AC updates if I'm correct, so that leaves the door open for literally anything.

NintendoByNature

Grumblevolcano

@Losermagnet I think the main Nintendo announcement will be something to do with the Mario movie, they were happy enough to spend significant Direct time on announcing the cast so debut trailer sounds about right for the Game Awards.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Player_One

@Anti-Matter I think we can all understand now but this thread is called GOTY 2021 discussion NOT Anti-Matters GOTY2021 discussion

Player_One

StarPoint

@Losermagnet I could see them showing either the Mario Movie or a little bit more of BOTW 2, probably a title drop.

"Science compels us to explode the sun!"

Currently playing:

Persona 3 Reload (PC)
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy (PC)

RR529

Krull wrote:

That may be a hot take, but I firmly stand by it.

Dread for the win, or Psychonauts 2. In my view.

I played a bit of Forza Horizon 4 over the summer while I was trying out Game Pass, & to be honest the series has more in common with BotW or Assassin's Creed (just, with cars) than it does with the iterative annual sports games.

There is lots of racing (naturally), but each game has a completely unique open world to explore (even off road) with lots of sub-quests & objectives like stunt challenges, hidden collectables, and stuff like that dotted around the map.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Sunsy

Voted mostly for Apex Legends for best ongoing, Super Mario 3D World for best family game, and CS:GO for best E-Sports game. Though for family game, my personal pick would go to Smurfs: Mission Vileaf, which isn't even nominated. Really surprised how well made that game is after playing it.

While I do watch the show every year, I'm pretty much more curious on the announcements.

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

Losermagnet

@NintendoByNature @Grumblevolcano @StarPoint yeah with Smash and AC DLC wrapped up I like the idea of a Mario movie trailer or BotW 2 info. I hate to say it but I'm more curious about the Mario movie 😲 BotW 2 will most likely be some type of fantastic, but the Mario movie? Who knows? I don't think we'll get a big new premier for something we dont already know about. Seems like that would be more fitting in a Direct. It would be more appropriate for a smaller scale announcement that Nintendo doesn't have a lot of stock in. So.....probably a new F-Zero announcement 😝

VoidofLight

@Losermagnet I've seen a huge amount of hype centered around Elden Ring, especially with the long wait that people had to go through just to see gameplay and a release date.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

VoidofLight

@Grumblevolcano I hope NieR wins the music category, mainly because of how god-like the ost is, and how it's powerful enough in the right scenes to make just about anyone cry.

@Ralizah It doesn't, but it's probably going to win, since these awards are usually rigged.. at least if last year was anything to go off of.

VoidofLight

@Grumblevolcano I think they could do something with the Mario movie at The Game Awards, but I also wouldn't be surprised if we were to see a bit more from BotW 2, given that the game has a history with being at The Game Awards.

Krull

@RR529 OK, I admit, that does sound moderately more interesting than your average driving game. Cards on the table, racing is one of my least favourite genres, but that does sound pretty cool for fans.

@Pizzamorg I do take your point, I do. But I still wouldn’t want to see the likes of Fifa, Madden or Gran Turismo, Burnout or whatever in the overall GotY category. And I say that as someone who really likes sports games.

Otherwise Football Manager would win. Every. Single. Year.

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

Losermagnet

@VoidofLight ah thats on me then. I've been hiding under a rock when it comes to Elden Ring stuff. When one of the main reasons I enjoy a game is finding things out for myself I really can't stand spoilers. Although I also really want to talk about it so it's a catch 22 😅

VoidofLight

@Losermagnet I barely pay attention to it, and I guess I just found the hype no matter where I look despite that. It's odd.

Generally, if I'm excited for a game, I either look at every piece of news about it, or try to go in blind as possible. Things like SMT V, or NieR are games I usually just try to go in as blind as I can, since I don't want to see any spoilers for the experiences they bring.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic