Forums

Topic: GOTY 2021 Nominees Discussion

Posts 1 to 20 of 56

StarPoint

What are everyone's thoughts on the GOTY 2021 nominees? I am personally overjoyed to see Dread listed on there. If you all want to vote, head to thegameawards.com.

"Science compels us to explode the sun!"

Currently playing:

Persona 3 Reload (PC)
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy (PC)

Losermagnet

Balan Wonderworld was robbed!

Seriously though - Metroid Dread should get it I think. The nominees to me are kind of underwhelming though. 2021was a better year than those GotY nominees would have you believe.

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

RR529

Voted for Metroid Dread for GotY.

Voted Tales of Arise for RPG (disappointed it wasn't nominated for GotY though). Glad to see SMTV nominated here as well, though I'm not far enough yet to compare it to Arise.

Voted Super Mario 3D Land + Bowser's Fury best Family game (just pure old school fun).

Voted Microsoft Flight Sim best Sim/Strategy (honestly surprised it didn't get a GotY nod given it's apparently eligible).

Also surprised Forza Horizon 5 wasn't nominated for GotY. Haven't played it, but I thought 4 was great fun & this seems to be a "bigger & better" kinda deal.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

kkslider5552000

Replace REVIII with Monster Hunter Rise and this is exactly what I thought the game nominations would be.

I do appreciate that there's less focus on the most obvious, heavily marketed games possible. Regardless of the quality of any of them, the most popular games being the most acclaimed sometimes make these Game Awards really boring and tedious (especially when they all get like 6 other nominations). Almost none of these are as big as Spiderman or Red Dead or BOTW were a few years ago, and that works for me.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Ralizah

MH Rise and SMT V are competing in the same category fml

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Losermagnet

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Replace REVIII with Monster Hunter Rise and this is exactly what I thought the game nominations would be.

I was expecting Monster Hunter Rise as well. I dont know if having one Capcom game excludes the other maybe? And I'm surprised Returnal isn't on GotY.

Zuljaras

I know I might be in the minority here but I will vote for Resident Evil Village. I loved that game and it is the best game I've played this year

Pizzamorg

I should really finish Village, I started it but it felt so clunky to me I bounced right off.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

kkslider5552000

There were two issues I have with the nominations as a whole:
1. Barring sound/music/narrative, giving any awards to Cyberpunk. **** off. Maybe they mean best RPG to get mass refunds?
2. The cut off point is way too close. SMTV just came out. Most fans haven't even beaten that one yet. Like compared to the Grammys that I know have a cutoff point long before the nominations even come out. You should not do something worse than the Grammys.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Anti-Matter

I voted this game as my GOTY 2021 because i like this game.
Untitled

Anti-Matter

Snatcher

I haven't even played dread And I think it should win, but we all know its not, Last year told me that.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

NintendoByNature

Not so much a nominee, but im wondering TGA is the time to finally drop silksong on us. Surely, it would be perfect timing to do so..

NintendoByNature

Matt_Barber

Death's Door should win the best indie game hands down.

It's been a blast on PC, but my fingers are still crossed for a decent Switch port. Only a few days to go now, too.

Matt_Barber

Losermagnet

@kkslider5552000 i immediately went to Google to check what Cyberpunk was nominated for. Best Role Playing? Just.....why? There had to be a game more deserving of that spot.

@NintendoByNature yes! I completely forgot about Silksong even being a thing.

ReaperMelia

Neo: The World Ends With You was absolutely snubbed. It should've been in the running for best RPG and best soundtrack, but it lost out to Cyberpunk of all things. I can't even say I'm surprised since the game unfortunately wasn't really noticed by anyone outside of the tiny TWEWY community, but it's incredibly disappointing to see my favorite game of the year not show up at all. I know people will argue that The Game Awards don't matter anyway, but it's great exposure for smaller games and Neo really could've used the boost in attention.

Anyway, going off of the nominees, my votes would go to:
GOTY: Resident Evil Village
Best Game Direction: Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
Best Performance: Maggie Robertson/Alcina Dimitrescu (Even though Heisenberg should've been the RE nomination, Robertson did great as Dimitrescu but Heisenberg was the best of the new characters. Of course, we all know why Dimitrescu was chosen instead...)
Best Multiplayer: Monster Hunter Rise
Best Ongoing Game: Final Fantasy XIV
Best Art Direction: Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
Best Audio Design: Resident Evil Village
Best Community Support: Final Fantasy XIV
Best Action/Adventure Game: Metroid Dread
Best Role-Playing Game: Monster Hunter Rise
Most Anticipated Game: The Sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Best Fighting Game: Guilty Gear Strive
Best Family Game: New Pokemon Snap

If they do Players' Choice again this year, I'll be doing my best to support Neo: The World Ends With You if it's an option since it's my personal game of the year.

"Little by little. Each day as it comes. That's how we should live."

NintendoByNature

@Losermagnet I think alot of people have. It's been a while since we heard about it if I recall correctly.

NintendoByNature

VoidofLight

I only voted for two things, and it was the OST and Anticipated games. I voted NieR Replicant for best OST, since the ost for that game is absolutely god-like.. too bad Cyberpunk is probably going to win that category though, since these events are generally rigged in the favor of those with deeper pockets.

I picked BotW 2 for the anticipated game, but I know that Elden ring is going to win that.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

Losermagnet

@NintendoByNature I wonder if it'll still be a Switch console exclusive at launch. Either way I'll be looking out for it 👀 I tried to get back into Hollow Knight not that long ago, but boy it was challenging to pick up my nearly finished save file after a long break.

@VoidofLight people are that excited for Elden Ring? I'm a Dark Souls fanboy and I'd still pick BotW 2.

NintendoByNature

@Losermagnet ah I didn't realize it was exclusive. I figured it was an all console release kind of thing. Maybe it won't be there then. Who knows at this point lol. It's best to just start a new save file for a game like that. Too much of a learning curve to jump back in after a while.

NintendoByNature

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic