Forums

Topic: Google Stadia

Posts 341 to 360 of 387

blockfight

@Octane Haha. See you here next year. Someone is gonna have to pay up

Mayo for Sam. Year TBC.

Octane

@blockfight Came out six months ago on other platforms, not exactly the signs of a thriving platform

Octane

BruceCM

Hmm, can't say I know what games the Stadia team made, anyway .... They'll certainly have to do well with getting 3rd party stuff on there, then

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

CITRONtanker

Congrats on making a good Stadia-related decision, Google.

But if I was you, I wouldn't stop there.

Buy Kirby and the Forgotten Land

Octane

@BruceCM Their games were still in development, they hadn't released anything yet.

Octane

Kyloctopus

I'll' probably stick with Stadia until the end. It does give me a bit of hesitance play a live service game, like Elder Scrolls Online, but, it's still going to be a nice platform for adventure games, especially if they are included with stadia pro. Right now playing through Little Nightmares, and its been a good experience.

Kyloctopus

3DS Friend Code: 4897-5952-1236 | Nintendo Network ID: Kyloctopus | Twitter:

Dezzy

@Octane

Imagine getting hired by Google of all people, a company with a near-infinite bank account, and then your studio is shut down before you even get to finishing your first game.

Frankly Google should've been decent enough to them all finish the games they were working on, and then just launched those games on every platform.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

ComradeThom

I'm not against cloud gaming per se, but cloud gaming emerging in a neoliberal corporate culture is the concern. Ideals such as access to gaming history and preservation of the medium will be seen as a total externality. They won't want you playing games you've already played. Where is the monetary value in that? So once they've served their economic purpose, delisting games a few years down the line would become industry standard so that they can funnel their customers onto the next micro transaction laden product to ensure they squeeze maximum profit.

So yeah, I'm not sad Stadia seems to be stalling. The longer cloud gaming fails, the better. Not because cloud gaming itself is bad but because the platform holders cannot be trusted not to exploit it. As soon as one cloud gaming platform is successful, you can bet your bottom dollar that shareholders of competitor gaming platforms will demand a slice of the same pie and force the adoption of same the model.

ComradeThom

My Nintendo: CommieThom | Twitter:

Dezzy

@ComradeThom

With Google, it's far more likely they'll just use it to gather more data for their behavioural prediction algorithms that power their ads.
They make so much money from the fact that they can predict the ads people "want to see", I can't imagine them ever really using one of their services for anything else. It would never make that same amount of profit.

blockfight

@ComradeThom "I'm not against cloud gaming".

You sure? Sounds a lot like you are. Which I've no problem with by the way, its just weird to start you comment like that and then write a long detailed post as to why you're against cloud gaming.

Mayo for Sam. Year TBC.

ComradeThom

@blockfight As I said, I'm not against the technology of cloud gaming. I'm against the economic system we inhabit which would weaponise said technology against the customer.

If we existed in a world with different values then cloud gaming and physical/digital downloads would continue to co-exist, however the unique qualities of cloud gaming can be used to increase profits in a way hostile to game preservation and consumer choice.

TL;DR - Free market capitalism ensures cloud gaming will suck for us all even worse than the current sorry state of the gaming industry.

ComradeThom

My Nintendo: CommieThom | Twitter:

Octane

@Dezzy I kinda feel sorry for Shannon Studstill leaving Santa Monica Studio for Google Stadia; especially with the new GOW coming up, she chose that over adding another likely GOTY to her portfolio.

This reminds me of when Amy Hennig left ND for EA; and the project got closed down before it even got a trailer.

Octane

blockfight

@Octane I feel sorry for her, but I wouldn't imagine this closure will reflect badly on her. I don't think she will miss out on future oppurtunities as a result of this. But in hindsight she probably should have stayed where she was.

Mayo for Sam. Year TBC.

Dezzy

Octane wrote:

@Dezzy I kinda feel sorry for Shannon Studstill leaving Santa Monica Studio for Google Stadia; especially with the new GOW coming up, she chose that over adding another likely GOTY to her portfolio.

Yeah she got majorly shafted. She sadly would've been better if she'd......stood still

ComradeThom wrote:

TL;DR - Free market capitalism ensures cloud gaming will suck for us all even worse than the current sorry state of the gaming industry.

Dude, "free market capitalism" is the only reason a games industry even exists in the first place.

Name all of the prominent games that have come out of non-capitalist countries.

Tetris. That's it. And even that only became widely distributed because a publisher in London managed to get hold of it.

Edited on by Dezzy

blockfight

@ComradeThom you lost me when you implied they were going to "weaponise" cloud gaming against me.

Mayo for Sam. Year TBC.

ThanosReXXX

Oh, dear. More negative press for Google and Google Stadia:

https://www.ign.com/articles/terraria-on-stadia-canceled-afte...

Such a small game and developer probably won't be the fatal blow to the service, but it certainly isn't doing them any favors either.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

HobbitGamer

Eh, it's not a great game anyway. It's 2D minecraft, past it's popularity time. Stadia works great for me.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

ThanosReXXX

@HobbitGamer Well, as mentioned, it's not so much about the game. That's not really going to make a dent in Stadia's armor. But the bad news in general of game developers being locked out of all of their Google-related apps most definitely is.

And bad news travels about 10 times faster than good news, so this could potentially be REALLY bad for them. Especially if other developers are inclined to chime in about their own troubles with Google...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic