Forums

Topic: General JRPG Thread

Posts 161 to 180 of 397

jedgamesguy

@Zeldafan79 @CactusMan @Snaplocket @Wargoose @BruceCM @Dezzy Thank you all so much for your input, the game is frighteningly cheap, and with a week left I could absolutely pick it up. For reference it's just £16.99 so it's a very realistic choice. Love to see what the chatter's all about, and then complain even more when the next Ys game comes out in 2027.

Edited on by jedgamesguy

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

Ralizah

@TheJGG Sure. I've played Ys I - III and VIII. It's one of the oldest and best action-rpg series on the market. VIII, in particular, hugely evolved the series with its focus on fleshed out rpg systems and a more modern presentational style.

For Ys VIII: The game takes place on a mysterious island where the main character of all these games, mute red-haired adventurer Adol Christin, is shipwrecked. Over the course of the game, several people will join your party. Combat is action-based and VERY fast, like a character action game, but it also features Zelda-esque overworld exploration, where you unlock new areas with abilities you've gained from equipment you found in dungeons, and a light base building element where you find survivors of the shipwreck and help integrate them into the tiny emerging village that's being built as people attempt to survive on the island. You'll also have missions where you protect your village from waves of enemies, and even attack groups of enemies in raids. There's also fishing, a dual-protagonist set-up that integrates a smaller campaign into the main story, etc. It's one of the best JRPGs of the generation.

Earlier games tended to be much shorter and simpler, and focused almost exclusively on the combat and dungeon-crawling, but were still extremely fun.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

BruceCM

Except Ys IX is coming to Switch very soon now, @TheJGG .... Do let us know how you get on with Dana, though

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

jedgamesguy

Thank God the sale ends in seven days @BruceCM. Since we’re likely both using the European / British eShop you’ll see for yourself as well the sale details. My plan so far is to buy a £25 voucher, and buy Ys VIII along with Doki Doki Literature Club Plus, with a few Gold Points.

Here’s hoping!

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

BruceCM

Yeah, I've looked through the sales, @TheJGG .... Of course, I already owned most of the best deals, though!

SW-4357-9287-0699

Zeldafan79

@Wargoose

Okay cool I'll be getting it then! I could use another great RPG on my switch.

Edited on by Zeldafan79

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" Optimus Prime

BruceCM

How about Memories of Celceta, The Oath in Felghana, The Ark of Napishtim & Seven, @Ralizah ....? You'd probably like all of those

SW-4357-9287-0699

Dezzy

BruceCM wrote:

The Ark of Napishtim

I always remember this as the Ark of Nepotism.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Zeldafan79

@Dezzy

Those YS games sure have strange titles.

Wheeler

Playing through Gundam MS Saga.

Wheeler

Wheeler

Had no idea a fighting game was JRPG

Wheeler

Zeldafan79

I've been playing Ys VIII on switch and i think I'm in love! This game is fantastic! Sadly i bet it's being overlooked by alot of people.

Nephestinus

@Zeldafan79 I think it's the graphics more than anything. It looks blurry and just plain bad. The story also wasn't really that interesting in some parts. The beginning was pretty good and once you start seeing more of the island, it's story and some primordials it really gets interesting.

Nephestinus

Zeldafan79

@Nephestinus
I did notice that. The water especially looked grainy and just wrong. It's not the best looking but if you pretend it's a PS2 game which is pretty much what it looks like you can get used to it. Everything else is really good though.

Dezzy

What is it with Japan's love of having characters who can't see properly? (or have their eyes closed)

That's like a real common trope in JRPGs and anime. Is it supposed to be a metaphor for learning the truth or something ('finally I can see how things are')?

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

VoidofLight

@Dezzy My guess is either because it looks cool to have a character with something over their eyes, or because of the metaphor you described. The protagonist in Tales of Arise looks pretty sick with the mask over his head though, since you don't really get to see his face at the very start, and even after it breaks, it still looks cool.

Edited on by VoidofLight

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

Magician

@Dezzy

I think the eyes closed trope is for characters who are outwardly exceedingly outgoing, but internally are deeply depressed.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,251 games (as of April 24th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic