Forums

Topic: General JRPG Thread

Posts 141 to 160 of 397

Anti-Matter

Is Miitopia categorized as JRPG too ?

Anti-Matter

Dogorilla

@Anti-Matter Yeah definitely. It doesn't really have any exploration but the battles are very traditional JRPG fare.

Between that and Ring Fit Adventure, I like how Nintendo has been trying new things with the RPG genre recently. They may be more 'casual' games than standard RPGs but that's fine by me (although having said that I would have liked Miitopia more if it had more variety and preferably an option to control the whole party).

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

Klophidian

^Oh sweet, gonna check this doc out later for sure. Thanks for sharing. The youtube channel Resonant Arc has some good analysis videos/reviews and recently interviewed the guy that worked on Fantasian! Very worth checking out.

Klophidian

BruceCM

The bit I liked was 4 Trails games coming West, @Slowdive ....

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

VoidofLight

@BruceCM Are all the trails games now coming to switch? I've been meaning to try them out, but I didn't want to play them until I knew that they were all releasing on the same platform.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

jedgamesguy

I thought ATLUS was bad when they delayed Persona 5 one year to localise the game, and Persona 5 Royal three months. THREE YEARS for Trails into Reverie?! The game's already out!! By the time that game comes out in English I could probably learn Japanese and play through the game.

Edit: Wow... they have a really slow track record for getting games out of Japan. Am I missing something?

Edited on by jedgamesguy

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

VoidofLight

@BruceCM That’s great to hear honestly! I don’t know if my pc can run these, so I’m glad they’re at least all coming to switch.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

BruceCM

If you mostly mean the Trails games, @TheJGG, they didn't originally think there was a market for those in the West .... There's a LOT of stuff to translate in them, as well, of course! The fan translation project for the 2 Crossbell games only just released the final patch to go with the Japanese version, for instance It'll obviously be much easier having it released officially on Steam, though
I'm sure there'll be plenty of people who'd love them on Switch, @VoidofLight & it's certainly hopeful for future Falcom games, at least

SW-4357-9287-0699

Zeldafan79

Anybody here into the YS series? I've only played book 1 and 2 on turbo grafx and i liked that one. I've been thinking about playing some of the other games but i'm not really sure where to start. I know the switch has origins, YS VIII and it will soon have IX. Which ones are good?

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" Optimus Prime

jedgamesguy

Can anyone recommend the Ys series? I see that Ys 8 is on discount and while I'm not gonna get it now I could keep an eye out for it in future.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

Zeldafan79

@TheJGG

That one is on sale for at least another week. It's quite a discount too at 20 dollars instead of 60 so it's probably worth it. I hear YS VIII is good for newcomers.

Edited on by Zeldafan79

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" Optimus Prime

PSVR_lover

I enjoy the atelier games. Also Blue Reflection is coming to the Switch.

The PSVR is the best VR system on the market today.

Anti-Matter

Yokai Watch 3 Tempura for me.

Anti-Matter

Wargoose

@Zeldafan79 @TheJGG

Ys VIII is one of the best JRPGs I've played in years. Definitely recommend picking it up. The combat is a bit like a Tales game, but with an additive dodge/parry mechanic. It's structured a bit like a metroid game, where you're gradually acquiring new abilities which allow you to explore more of the island.

Ys IX is also really solid, it's way more open than VIII. You get abilities that allow you to traverse the city in a really cool way. It feels a bit like the batman games in terms of movement options. Sometimes it feels like they throw slightly too many enemies at you at once.

Wargoose

BruceCM

Yeah, I'd definitely recommend Ys VIII, @TheJGG .... It would be great at full price, so being on such a discount is amazing I've done some checking, @Snaplocket & it is basically the fan translation that's being used but I'd certainly rather have them officially on Steam than having to download Japanese versions & add the patches myself

SW-4357-9287-0699

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic