Forums

Topic: Your Latest Switch Purchase

Posts 3,481 to 3,500 of 3,703

Maxenmus

NeonPizza wrote:

2013 - 2022 has made me appreciate how things were back in 2006-2012
I'm mixed on Streaming alone. On one hand, it's extremely convenient, on the other hand it's too convenient to the point where most of the movies end up feeling like throways simply because it makes you feel like you're a kid in a candy store with an infinant wallet. I've got to sift through sooo much junk and a lot of stuff i wouldn't dare to watch.

I feel the same way. 80% of the shows they put up on Disney+ are family-friendly American sitcoms I wouldn't bother to bat an eye at.

However, the convenience of the streaming service platforms isn't anything to scoff at either, considering that it's much easier now to access a movie made 50 years ago, and if you belong to a younger Millennial generation like me, especially someone living in a country that doesn't re-release old American movies, this makes it much easier to explore movies you missed before your childhood (or perhaps even during your childhood, when you were too young to be interested in certain films).

NeonPizza wrote:

I dont know, there's something about buying a physical movie(like lets say Nausica from Studio Ghibli for example) and watching it vs the streamed version. With the physical copy. I mean you're deditcated for one thing, and there may be a bit of bias towards your purchase because of the amount of money you paid to get it.

Agreed. I do love physical copies of things. However, the only thing stopping me is that it's hard to get physical copies of older movies I like, like say Nausica, in Singapore. We're a pretty small country as it is, and not everyone is interested in stockpiling old classics in stores. I have to ship them from America, which costs money. That said, the price does feel worth it for certain films I love, and like you said, your blu-ray collection shows people you're dedicated to certain movies you love.

NeonPizza wrote:

Either way, i dont watch a lot of new movies anymore, not really a big movie guy these days unfortunately, or fortunately, i dont know. The film industry has gotten pretty stale, and nothing is evolving especially when compared to the Video Game industry. I just fall back on the older stuff, including cartoons & anime and sometimes will check out the odd new movie release or Series.

Same. I used to be far more devoted to exploring movies back in my day, but nowadays, time is so short that I barely have the time or attention span to bother with these mediocre releases. I mostly explore old TV shows and cartoons nowadays, which again, is only possible thanks to streaming services like HBO Max (Sopranos, The Wire, Powerpuff Girls) and Amazon Prime (Hey Arnold, Mad Men).

NeonPizza wrote:

Yup, the retro forum is practically dead, and those that seldemly talk about the SNES(I guess the NES is too old & dated for these Gen Z goobers to appreciate)are pretty much teenagers and early 20-something year olds that have only recently discovered and played them for the first time. I don't even bother checking that side of the forum out anymore.

Well, I mean, they might be teenagers, but they're the reason why the Retro forum will be kept alive for the long term after the veterans are long gone. For example, I'm a 32 year old Singaporean and I've never grew up with any SNES or N64, period. However, I love the SMT franchise, and the first two games were released on the N64. I would've loved to talk about them, but if I'm a "goober" who's just gonna be ignored in the Retro forum because I'm not old enough to know what I'm talking about, then I might as well not bother at all and let the forum stay dead.

Edited on by Maxenmus

Maxenmus

Switch Friend Code: SW-7926-2339-9775 | 3DS Friend Code: 3539-9678-8621 | My Nintendo: Flare | Nintendo Network ID: OriusPrime

Tasuki

@NeonPizza Yeah I can understand the streaming thing. Though with me after losing alot of stuff in a fire I kinda of appreciate digital media to a point. I mean ***** if I had all my movies and CDs on my tablet for example I would still have them also just the convenience factor of having it all in one place. I mean if there's a fire now all I have to do is grab my device and I just saved all my movies.

Other then that though I totally can see where you are coming from with physical stuff. Nothing beats the feeling of holding a physical copy of a game or a movie, that's one reason I got the Shredder's Revenge physical bundle from LRG.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Maxenmus

Tasuki wrote:

Yeah I can understand the streaming thing. Though with me after losing alot of stuff in a fire I kinda of appreciate digital media to a point. I mean ***** if I had all my movies and CDs on my tablet for example I would still have them also just the convenience factor of having it all in one place. I mean if there's a fire now all I have to do is grab my device and I just saved all my movies.

And much as I defend physical copies of games and movies, learning recently that DS/3DS cartridges will deteriorate over time does not make me feel good about buying all my games in physical form after all, as preservation will become an issue. I'm sure CDs and blu-rays have their expiry dates too.

Edited on by Maxenmus

Maxenmus

Switch Friend Code: SW-7926-2339-9775 | 3DS Friend Code: 3539-9678-8621 | My Nintendo: Flare | Nintendo Network ID: OriusPrime

Tasuki

@Maxenmus I don't worry about cartridges deteriorating. If you take care of your games they will last you. I have NES cartridges that are nearing 40 years old and are still working and looking just fine. If they do deteriorate it won't be during my life time so what do I care if they deteriorate in 50, 60 years?

My Backlog

Maxenmus

@Tasuki Ah, good to know. I usually keep my cartridges in pretty secure locations, so hopefully, that won't be an issue.

Maxenmus

NeonPizza

@Tasuki
My 8-16 bit carts or just the entirity of my gaming collection could deteriate and stop working for all i care when I'm in my 60's(especially 70's), because by that point those memory trophies will just seem like plastic clutter to my wrinkly future BIFF self hehe. I'd be more concerned knowing that the grim reaper is about to fry my a** in under 20 years. Ultimately, it's the memories that matter most. And the only thing that could ever take that away from me is Double Dragon Dimentia.

As far as movies go, i do like me some physicaly media solely for 80's and early 90's Cartoons & anime. I had sooo many horror movies on DVD years ago, before selling it all and to be honest, i dont miss any of it. I'd rather own stuff that's more uplifiting and upbeat anyways at this point. What can I say, 80's/90s cartoons definitely do the deed!

Ugh, i was dead set on going Digital-only from here on out for everything modern, but i've been bitten by the physical bug with certain switch releases and Cartoons/anime. That aside, i'm still a sucker for old physical gaming media like with the NES, SNES, Gameboy, Genesis etc. Want to get a C64 mini and maybe the Turbo Grafx at some point too. But ya, Digital like you pointed out has it's advantages, like surviving a house fire unlike a mega Shrine of Video game plastic.

Edited on by NeonPizza

"ExcuuuUUUUSE ME, Princess!"
Switch Friend Code: SW-1323-8872-2420
I demand Crystal Pepsi & Noid Domino's Pizza!

NeonPizza

@RubyCarbuncle
Totally. Things do Change, and change can be good, but i dont like this change.
It's really to do with just the times, pop culture in general and of course the absense of like, 99 percent of past posters that were here during the VC-Reviews days(Before they renamed it to NintendoLife) when the Wii, DSLite and all things retro took center stage, and NL was still great during the first couple of years of 3DS and the first year of the Wii U era. This all spanned from like, 2007-ish to 2012, and maybe even 2013.

Tis what it is, I still enjoy talking to a small handful of people on here. but it just doesn't feel Alive as it once did, plus I'm almost 38, which doesn't help. When i was 27 i was a lot more excitable, passionate and pumped. So there's that too haha. I still keep that inner kid in my alive, which helps to stay youthful and whatever else. However, i am not looking forward to getting spanked by the big 4-0 in 2 years.

Edited on by NeonPizza

Maxenmus

NeonPizza wrote:

My 8-16 bit carts or just the entirey of my gaming collection could deteriate and stop working for all i care when I'm in my 60's(especially 70's), because by that point those memory trophies will just seem like plastic clutter to my wrinkly old future self hehe. I'd be more concerned knowing that the grim reaper is about to fry my a** in under 20 years. Ultimately, it's the memories that matter most.

Actually, I'd also care about preserving said cartridges for my children (if I ever have any) so that they could remember these precious games. But since Tasuki mentioned that these cartridges do last, I guess that isn't a big issue.

Maxenmus

NeonPizza

@Maxenmus
Problem is, is that most kids these days, especially future generations simply put will not care for the 8-16 bit generations. They're all about Switch & Playstation.

You could always introduce the classics to your kids, but chances are they wont care. They want the latest and greatest and what's currently IN. Once Stadia works one day, and it will work. Consoles will probably be a thing of the past along with Physical media.

Edited on by NeonPizza

Maxenmus

NeonPizza wrote:

@Maxenmus
Problem is, is that most kids these days, especially future generations simply put will not care for the 8-16 bit generations. They're all about Switch & Playstation.

You could always introduce the classics to your kids, but chances are they wont care. They want the latest and greatest and what's currently IN. Once Stadia works one day, and it will work. Consoles will probably be a thing of the past along with Physical media.

I'm usually a cynical person, but even I am not that cynical about the curiosity of children. I was a kid who didn't grow up with the 8-16 bit generations. Heck, I was a kid who never grew up with black and white films. All the same, I got interested in them, on my own too without my parents' influences! When something is timeless, life, uh, finds a way (for future generations to be interested in them).

Edited on by Maxenmus

Maxenmus

NeonPizza

@Maxenmus
I hear what you're saying, and i agree but only to a certain extent. 'most' wont care, and that's kind of how it is now in 2022. I showed my neice a few retro games like Super Mario World, Super Mario All-Stars, Sonic just to name a few which she enjoyed for maybe 10 minutes ro so. But all she wanted to play was Fortnite! Fall guys or whatever new popular game was trending. She really loved Little Nightmares and almost got into Super mario Odyssey.

NES games may be too retro for future generations, they might see them as being too primitave and souless. Kind of like how i view Atari 2600 games hehe.

Edited on by NeonPizza

Maxenmus

@NeonPizza Yeah, maybe you're right. I think it's the culture of things, how the mass media fill their heads with those shiny games. Plus, with everything being remastered, it breeds apathy towards older games since everything's handed to them in a new shiny repackage.

Maxenmus

NeonPizza

@Tasuki
Also, no response from Ryno. If he actually got the message, he was probably thinking, who in the hell is this most heinous NeonPizza!? I've seen Ogo78 lurking around here and there, but he typically pops in with 3 word sentences and bounces. lol

Edited on by NeonPizza

Tasuki

@NeonPizza Haha Yeah. I just don't think he does the whole forum thing anymore. I have him as a friend on my PS4 and he pops on every so often on that. In fact just looking at his profile now he was last on his PS4 20 days ago. It's just I am never on my PS4 anymore since that's packed away, just Switch and Xbox here for right now. Maybe once I get back into my place and hook up the PS4 I will message him there.

Yeah I see Ogo pop in every so often. The one dude I miss is Shydar use to love talking to him on all things retro.

My Backlog

Ryu_Niiyama

Live A Live
Xenoblade 3.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Magician

Live A Live
Endling - Extinction is Forever
Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes
Crysis 2
Mushihimesama
#Drive
Fatal Twelve

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 1,006 games (as of September 30th, 2022)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

NeonPizza

@Tasuki
Do you plan on getting a PS5? I'll be honest, as far exclusives go there really isn't anything on there aside from Astro's Playroom That i want to play. I mean, there's Resident evil 8 and Klonoa Phantasy Reverie, including the update/patches for Resident Evil 2&3, but all of these can be expereinces on PC and also Series X. Plus RE8 is heading to VR2 and that's how i want to experience the game, as i did with RE7. I dont know, I'm just more into Nintendo, Retro & VR than most of the crap that's flooding Playstation & XBOX.

The sole reason why I want a PS5 is for VR2 which might get a release this holiday or Q1 next year. There's always the Quest Pro hitting shelves this late october too. But ya, I guess Ryno grew tired of the forums, no brainer, since he vamoosed' a few years back or so, and is busy with the family life. He knows good and well that the new generation has swooped in and that 99 percent of the older goobers have moved on. He figures, what's the point of coming here when he can't have a decent conversation about crystal pepsi, Ecto Cooler and Noid Dominos Commercials. The Gamecube Gargoyles don't have a clue. lol

Edited on by NeonPizza

Tasuki

@NeonPizza Nah, I don't see myself getting a PS5. I managed to snag an Xbox Series X a few years ago when everything was shutdown. To be quite honest with the Switch and my retro consoles and the Xbox I don't need another console. I was never big into the whole PS VR thing so that doesn't interest me at all and I am not interested in any of Sony's exclusives at the moment. Pretty much if I can't get a game on Switch, that's what the Xbox is for.

My Backlog

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic