Forums

Topic: Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition

Posts 681 to 700 of 1,302

Ryu_Niiyama

@JaxonH Sorry to but in but when someone is talking about my jam, I click. Personally I really enjoyed the card battling system for BK and BKO (played and beat both back in the day) and it is my favorite monlolithsoft series (in part for the constellation focus cuz I'm a nerd).

BKO and BK have somewhat different battle systems and they have their strengths and weaknesses (I'm partial to BK but I think that is more "I played this first and got used to it" bias more than anything else)

In both games your cards can change due to real time evolutions (such as food cooking or spoiling) or due to your combo setups in game. Your teams are 3 at a time and you are manageing each of their decks in BK vs one card pool in BKO. BKO has sorta a poker feel to it as the cards are numbered by strength and matching them in pairs or straights ups your damage, that on top of the time you have to select your cards is based on your character's speed can add or decrease the feeling of stress and urgency depending on the person. The cards are also sorted by element too so you have to look at matchups when playing (and when picking characters as they have specialties- most characters can use all elements but your chances of FINDING said cards to stack their deck is where the strategy comes in) as well as update decks on the regular so you don't put yourself at a disadvantage...as the game will punish you for it. I enjoyed the story at the time, but I've only beaten it twice and the last time was about a decade ago. There is a nice twice midway through and it lays enough plot threads for BKO. The worlds are gorgeous and the music is fantastic...I still play the BK soundtrack in my current musical rotation. There are some simple puzzles in the dungeons and a fair amount of back tracking but not enough to make it annoying imo (I don't like to backtrack much in games). It has a plot mechanic that allows the game to break the fourth wall that I felt was inclusive (as in it didn't feel shoehorned in), and likely made me at the time more emotional although part of its creation was to handwave the audio quality of the compressed voice files at the time. It has a seemingly straight forward plot although there are some twists and character switching and a very nice thread that gets expounded upon in BKO.

BKO streamlines the card system to one central deck...which I still have mixed feelings about as it can be both easier and harder depending on the battle than to BK. But its less card management. Again I still chalk most of that up to nostalgia as I played these games as a teenager when I would have made more immovable opinions. I enjoyed the story of BK but BKO takes it up a notch. It really uncovers a lot of the darkness of the world and makes many of the twists and motivations of come of the characters in BK make more sense. The only issue I have with the story is it leaves a HUGE setup for BK3 which as of yet has not been paid off. I will say I enjoyed the majority of the characters in BK over BKO with the exception of two but as the game is a prequel-sequel the game takes place in the past and some characters from BK are not born yet or are kids. It is hilarious seeing some of the familiar faces return as the game does a good job of tying most of their personalities (as in that character that was a jerk? yeah still a jerk but now you know why...) I do feel that the colorful world of the BK series is delightfully deceptive as it is a bit of a crapsack world but its completely breath taking...even the Empire which is steampunk has a certain cathedral beauty to it.

I will say the BK series is a completionist nightmare though as it is easy to miss some one time cards without a guide and the game was decently long (I'd say 30-40 hours if you speed through) I think my last BK playthrough was in the 70s somewhere. Can't remember BKO's time but I remember I got through it faster.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

kkslider5552000

Baten Kaitos is one of those games I dismissed entirely because after Kingdom Hearts:Chain of Memories and especially PSO Episode 3, I did not need another card based battle system in my RPGs.

In hindsight, this was probably a mistake. Xenoblade is one of those games that's so good, I feel almost obliged to give their other games a shot now.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Quarth

@Dezzy @Heavyarms55 Well put regarding the clothing talk. I agree with everything you guys have said. I think we can end this specific discussion now.

@NintendoByNature Yeah, but one helluva game!

@Dezzy Walking across those bridges in Makna still makes me feel dizzy when looking down, lol. Yeah, Satorl Marsh was really beautiful with all the colors and shimmering lights.

Friend code: SW-3941-9887-2293

Zeldafan79

I always wanted to try baten Kaitos but at the time i was just so much more interested in other games back then. I think i started that game once but never got very far. I remember it looking really pretty and colorful. I just wasn't getting the card battle system i guess. I recently played through KH re chain of memories and at first i hated the card battles. I mean i really hated it! I just kept saying why the hell did they make it like this? Ugh i just wanna play it like a regular KH game. Eventually it finally clicked for me and i understood it better. I managed to finish the whole game and now i don't hate it but it's definitely the weakest entry in the series.

As for xenoblade I've never fully completed the game but i plan to this time. I'm putting every other game on hold until this one is finished! Now scuse me i gotta go jam to engage the enemy! Killer track no?

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" Optimus Prime

JoeDiddley

I’m still doing all the side quests as a means of exploring everything.

But to avoid burnout I might change tack. Are the Colony 6 side quests worth doing?

Switch: SW-2923-8106-2126
Steam ID: joediddley
https://myanimelist.net/profile/JoeDiddley

Zeldafan79

@JoeDiddley
I always would just treat the sidequests like any old open world game. Do them if you need a break from the main story. Some are timed though and you can be locked out of them at a certain point. I just go ahead and make sure I've got them all finished before entirely leaving whatever town I'm in so i don't miss any.
Plus I'm ocd and if i leave anything unfinished i go nuts! You do get better weapons and armor from side quests than anything the shops are selling mostly.

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" Optimus Prime

JoeDiddley

@Zeldafan79 I’m finding them addictive so far.

But with my eye on it being a long game I will keep doing them purposefully whilst they are a pleasure not a chore.

Switch: SW-2923-8106-2126
Steam ID: joediddley
https://myanimelist.net/profile/JoeDiddley

Heavyarms55

@Quarth Works for me.

Also those bridges in Makna are horrifying and I'd never be able to cross one in real life... unless there was something trying to kill me that's even scarier.

Edited on by Heavyarms55

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

Quarth

@Heavyarms55 Well, there are some terrifying monsters in Makna, especially around Frontier Village, so the bridges are maybe safer after all.

Friend code: SW-3941-9887-2293

rallydefault

Baten Katios. Dang, that brings back memories. My roommate junior year of college played that game. Took him the whole year to beat it lol We used to mess with him for playing it because most of us would just play Smash or Guitar Hero together, and he would just squirrel away in his room to play this weird-looking RPG.

rallydefault

link3710

I'd jump in on Baten Kaitos, but JaxonH already explained it pretty well. Just have to say, don't look up the story, it's spoilerific, one of my favorite moments in gaming was from the original.

link3710

Tyranexx

Finally started the game earlier and hope to play more this evening. That was a HECK of a well-structured opening that ropes you into the action pretty quickly. I took some of my time and picked up many of the sidequests in Colony 9, though I won't be too bothered about finishing the ones that aren't timed. Unless I want a break in the main story and the objective(s) are along or aren't far off the beaten path. I had to quit right as things started getting really interesting again. Turns out that the Mechon WEREN'T exterminated....

@NintendoByNature As long as you can swap the game without any issues. At least you have other games to play lol. I'm pretty late to the party too, by release date standards.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

NintendoByNature

@Tyranexx supposed to come tomorrow thankfully. I dropped off my mangled copy today. So hopefully I get a copy that's in decent shape tomorrow 😋

NintendoByNature

Tyranexx

@NintendoByNature Let's hope the new copy also isn't obligated to fight other JRPGs in the mail along the way....

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

NintendoByNature

@Tyranexx at this point, and having to wait; I might fight off that contender myself just to get my hands on the game lol

NintendoByNature

Tyranexx

@NintendoByNature I legit just pictured your avatar charging in with the Monado to fend off Cloud from the FF7 remake. XD

NintendoByNature

@Tyranexx lol, hmmm if it were THAT game, im honestly not sure which I'd prefer hahaha. Then again, I don't have a ps4 anymore, so.......XC it is!

NintendoByNature

Tyranexx

@NintendoByNature It would be an epic battle for the ages...over your wallet!

Heavyarms55

@Quarth That is true. But like, the exact same bridges IRL would still scare the crap out of me.

And on the topic of bridges in Makna, I swear the AI in the original didn't derp them so badly. But I had Sharla and Reyn just jumping to their death over and over while I was playing yesterday. I get the feeling they don't much like Melia. XD

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

Dezzy

@Heavyarms55

They'd be scarier if they actually moved. The fact that they're fixed completely still makes them feel really solid and strong!

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic