Forums

Topic: Disappointed by the lack of new exclusives

Posts 301 to 320 of 441

faint

@Bolt_Strike you mean the lite and the oled? I’ve used Apple phones for decades and most revisions are rather small with and occasional jump.

[email protected]
friend code: 0103-9004-2456

faint

@BlueOcean Are you telling me I can count every WiiU and 3DS game Nintendo made in 2016 when arguing with you? Is that what you’re saying?

[email protected]

Bolt_Strike

@faint They usually launch different sized revisions of their current models within months of release, not 2 years. And they usually do have some type of spec increase and stop supporting the older, lower spec models whereas with the Switch the specs have been mostly the same from model to model and the OG Switch is still very much around and the games need to be designed to support it. If this was an Apple sales model we'd have a Switch 1, Switch 2, Switch 3, Switch 4, and Switch 5 by now, each with Lite and XL variants and the specs would be gradually increasing from 1 to 5. They'd probably also be ending support for the Switch 1 about now and forcing you to upgrade to one of the newer models. Obviously, that is not what they're doing with the Switch, the original Switch is still very much supported by Nintendo and in fact for some there's really not much reason to upgrade yet (especially if you like to play docked as they've done little if anything to improve that side of things).

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

So for those of you that are disappointed with the Switch's lineup, exactly what kinds of games are you looking for? What do you think is missing from the lineup and especially what do you think existing games/IPs in the lineup need to do better?

There's definitely a few fanbases that I can see being unhappy, Mario Kart, DK, and Pikmin fans only have Wii U ports right now, Star Fox has only had a pseudo-entry in the Star Fox expansion of Starlink, and F-Zero continues it long hiatuses despite cries for more from its fans, but other than that I don't think there's really much in terms of IPs missing on the Switch. Not going to go into what I think they could do with existing IPs yet, I want to see what some of the people who aren't satisfied with the Switch come up with instead of leading them into wanting the things that I suggest, but there's definitely room to build on a lot of them with future entries (which is actually a good thing because if not, it would be harder to continue to make those IPs entertaining).

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Anti-Matter

@Bolt_Strike
I think there are some peoples just only stuck on certain games, never want to try to branch out with completely different games.

Anti-Matter

Snatcher

@Bolt_Strike I feel like people are disappointed with the line up mainly because a lot of the switch line up, just feels like ports or remakes, and nothing new? idk just what i'm thinking.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

VoidofLight

For me, I've been disappointed with the Switch, but not because there's a lack of the series I enjoy. It's mostly that tons of them feel either underwhelming, or end up releasing in a state that ruins the series for me.

For example, take New Horizons. Even though it got a large update, the game still released in a very barren state, with the content being drip fed over months after release. The content wasn't really there at launch, so I ended up dropping the game.

Kirby Star Allies, another disappointment. It was the first game I genuinely felt ripped-off while buying, given how it lacked any content outside of a dumbed down main campaign (more dumbed down than usual for a kirby title).

The only two first party games I'm genuinely happy about, and walked away with a good sense of enjoyment were BotW (Which doesn't count, given it's not a switch exclusive and is mainly just a port.), and Luigi's Mansion 3, which was a pretty well done game.

If the game wasn't outright ruined at launch, and gutted to make into a live-service, it's disappointing in some other aspects, like with Odyssey's kingdom size, and tons of planned content/ideas being scrapped entirely, or how Pokemon Sword and Shield lacked any substance after the main story. Something like Xenoblade 2, where the disappointment somewhat outweighs the good of the game itself.. or something like Super Mario Party, which would've benefitted from an update model, but just sits on the shelf, collecting dust.

I think that another thing that makes the switch's library a bit more disappointing is the fact that it currently lacks in the smaller titles that Nintendo did for the 3Ds. Games like Tomodachi Life, or Nintendogs. Stuff like proper new 2D Zeldas, or genuinely new ips. Stuff that pads out the release schedule, and makes the library a bit less dull. For not however, we're stuck with half finished games, that are drip fed to us over the course of a year, or games that just feel disappointing to what could have been.

Guess Third party titles are there though, like SMT V, Great Ace Attorney, Square's JRPG's, and a few other games that are pretty great... but even then, most of those aren't switch exclusives, or if they were, they can now be played on other platforms, with better graphical capabilities, and better resolutions.. rendering it useless to get it on the original hardware. I was scared to get SMT V, since I saw the article saying that PC and PS4/PS5 were mentioned in it's code.. but I took the plunge anyways, so that I don't get spoiled on it later.

Edited on by VoidofLight

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

faint

@Bolt_Strike It’s still a console. Using the Apple model we will have a switch 2 and a switch 3, just like Microsoft has a one, series S and series x. Backwards compatible and some new software doesn’t work on the previous model. Just like the iPhone. It doesn’t have to be yearly to be the same model.

[email protected]

Bolt_Strike

@Snatcher Again though, there's only a handful of IPs that only have Wii U ports and no original entries for that series. So unless you're a fan of those franchises, it becomes more a matter of why the original entries in those series didn't satisfy you.

@faint Microsoft's model is not like the Apple model either. Xbox One is a last gen model and Series S and X are next gen models, with S being a budget model, Xbox One is in the process of being discontinued and phased out and Microsoft will move forward with the Series S and X. This is very different from what Apple does right now where you have the iPhone 13 and its models as the shiny new toy right now, but you can still buy an iPhone 12 or 11 as they're all supported and sold together. Apple does not stop selling an iPhone 12 and force you to move on to the iPhone 13 shortly after the iPhone 13 releases. You can skip several models and still not miss anything. That's not the case with the Switch, the Xbox, or any dedicated gaming console right now. And yes, the difference is in fact because iPhones are upgraded yearly whereas consoles only upgrade every 5+ years, so having yearly upgrades is an important part of the Apple model.

Anyway, I'm done arguing this with you because this is off-topic.

Bolt_Strike

Snatcher

@Bolt_Strike Thats true.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

VoidofLight

I really hope Nintendo doesn't just abandon generations, since Apple's model is just lazy, and offers nothing in terms of innovation. You get a new camera every year, and that's about it. Nothing actually innovative about it. Don't see why people exactly want Nintendo to chase that same horrid model, or any company for that matter. It's like people like being ripped off by having to pay a premium for a device that's barely any different from the one that released the year before or something.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

RandomNPC

faint wrote:

@Bolt_Strike The S was launched before the X. Not at the same time.

Both consoles released on the same day, I had to get the Series S on release because I missed out on the X pre order.

As a new member of the Switch family I can definitely attest to the lack of new exclusives. I grabbed a Lite to play Metroid Dread and looking at the release schedule there is very little of interest to me. I will admit that there is a fairly robust back catalogue but I refuse to pay full price for old games, and obviously non of them encouraged me to buy the console previously so I don't feel I'm missing out.
It would be nice to have some of the newer open world Ubisoft games (like AC Odyssey or FC 4 & 5) to play on the go along with better third party support - seems to just be a lot of ports of older games. Dying Light has only just come to switch and that's 7 years old!!!

RandomNPC

Banjo-

@faint I'm not jumping into your loop. No, thanks. It's clear now that you didn't want to clear nor understand anything.

@MrHonest Exactly.

@Bolt_Strike The Series S didn't launch before Series X.

Banjo-

Banjo-

@RandomNPC Absolutely, the Switch is full of ports and there's no point for many people to buy them on Switch when they're late, more expensive, uglier and slower. There are also few Switch exclusives that appeal to me, to the point I bought a few Wii U ports whose original releases I already have. I was excited about Metroid Prime 4 but I doubt that it will be a Switch game and if it is there will be a new console that run it better. That will probably happen to BotW2 as well although for me the prequel is the worst Zelda 3D game for reasons I won't repeat because I've written over 50 posts about it on NL. Still curious about the sequel because as a dull sandbox I somehow I enjoyed playing with the physics.

Banjo-

StuTwo

Bolt_Strike wrote:

So for those of you that are disappointed with the Switch's lineup, exactly what kinds of games are you looking for? What do you think is missing from the lineup and especially what do you think existing games/IPs in the lineup need to do better?

I'm disappointed that we haven't seen a new IP with the ambition of something like Splatoon, let alone the ambition of something like BoTW. Games like, say, the Link's Awakening remake are great and very welcome - and they do need to be available - but they aren't ever likely to be considered major landmarks in the history of the industry.

I've loved my Switch and it's definitely had a more consistent release schedule and line up all round than any Nintendo system since the SNES but I'd be lying if I didn't say that I'd expected more from Nintendo themselves with their development teams finally consolidated into a single platform.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Banjo-

VoidofLight wrote:

For me, I've been disappointed with the Switch, but not because there's a lack of the series I enjoy. It's mostly that tons of them feel either underwhelming, or end up releasing in a state that ruins the series for me.

For example, take New Horizons. Even though it got a large update, the game still released in a very barren state, with the content being drip fed over months after release. The content wasn't really there at launch, so I ended up dropping the game.

Kirby Star Allies, another disappointment. It was the first game I genuinely felt ripped-off while buying, given how it lacked any content outside of a dumbed down main campaign (more dumbed down than usual for a kirby title).

The only two first party games I'm genuinely happy about, and walked away with a good sense of enjoyment were BotW (Which doesn't count, given it's not a switch exclusive and is mainly just a port.), and Luigi's Mansion 3, which was a pretty well done game.

If the game wasn't outright ruined at launch, and gutted to make into a live-service, it's disappointing in some other aspects, like with Odyssey's kingdom size, and tons of planned content/ideas being scrapped entirely, or how Pokemon Sword and Shield lacked any substance after the main story. Something like Xenoblade 2, where the disappointment somewhat outweighs the good of the game itself.. or something like Super Mario Party, which would've benefitted from an update model, but just sits on the shelf, collecting dust.

I think that another thing that makes the switch's library a bit more disappointing is the fact that it currently lacks in the smaller titles that Nintendo did for the 3Ds. Games like Tomodachi Life, or Nintendogs. Stuff like proper new 2D Zeldas, or genuinely new ips. Stuff that pads out the release schedule, and makes the library a bit less dull. For not however, we're stuck with half finished games, that are drip fed to us over the course of a year, or games that just feel disappointing to what could have been.

Guess Third party titles are there though, like SMT V, Great Ace Attorney, Square's JRPG's, and a few other games that are pretty great... but even then, most of those aren't switch exclusives, or if they were, they can now be played on other platforms, with better graphical capabilities, and better resolutions.. rendering it useless to get it on the original hardware. I was scared to get SMT V, since I saw the article saying that PC and PS4/PS5 were mentioned in it's code.. but I took the plunge anyways, so that I don't get spoiled on it later.

Great comment.

Similarly, I was excited about some of those games until I played them, including the greatest Switch exclusive along with Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Super Mario Odyssey. It looks pretty, I'm not sure that it looks better than Super Mario Sunshine in HD (in my opinion, it doesn't) but it's a game that looks and plays fine on Switch, except for two-player mode on tabletop mode which is awfully bad. It has some variety in the themes (which is what many people say about it) but most worlds are quite disappointing. However, after beating the game and getting almost all moons except the last pointless ones, I felt that the game was missing the most enjoyable things in a Mario 3D game such as a great level design and engaging gameplay loop. The worlds in SMO are dull and the platforming is very bland, even the secret levels are nothing to write home about. The fact that the great Mario has disappointed me and that I beat BotW on Wii U except for some Koroks that I didn't feel like finding makes me feel even more disappointed with Switch and Nintendo. The outsourced games like Kirby and Yoshi didn't help and others while technically okay I think that are overpriced such as Metroid Dread and the Link's Awakening remake and, obviously, the expensive mini games available on Switch.

Banjo-

RandomNPC

@BlueOcean I've just been looking through the Pre Order schedule and there doesn't seem to be any big switch exclusives lined up for the Holiday season which is really disappointing.

I was also really disappointed with Breath of the Wild, I played it back on the Wii-U and there were so many obvious things stripped from the game to make it a switch release. The menu would have made much more sense if it was accessible separately via the game pad instead of having to pause every few minutes when you want to cook something.

RandomNPC

Banjo-

@RandomNPC There's nothing exciting for Switch in the next months. Yes, the game even used the GamePad for quick travelling but while developing the Switch port they removed the GamePad features for no reason. They didn't want the Wii U game to have anything slightly better than the Switch port and I think it's sad and pointless because they released both versions at the same time. They could have left the original game as it was and maybe even add some features that made use of the special features of the Switch hardware but just removing something that was already there and that was good for no reason is sad.

Banjo-

Sorry, this topic has been locked.