Forums

Topic: Disappointed by the lack of new exclusives

Posts 281 to 300 of 441

Banjo-

@Eel No need to get offended like that. You said that BotW is primarily a Switch game, it isn't, that's what I said. I didn't offend you nor moderate anything. If you feel it is, it's your feelings. I'm trying to be objective, if you feel that BotW is not a Wii U game because they removed the GamePad features and that it's primarily a Switch, feel free, but it doesn't change the fact that it's a Wii U game.

Banjo-

Bolt_Strike

@BlueOcean I'm not so sure Nintendo's games being more cartoony matters much, that seems to be more of an artstyle difference than a detail difference. They still have to make large, realistically designed game maps and detailed textures (and no, they still do need to make detailed textures as SwSh proved), and that's probably where the bulk of the work is going. They might be saving some time by excluding unnecessary details on background elements the player can't interact with, but that's about it.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Buizel

BlueOcean wrote:

@Buizel Super Mario Maker 2 is a Wii U expansion, just like Splatoon 2. They are basically expanded Wii U ports. Breath of the Wild is a Wii U game and that matters when analysing the games developed by Nintendo for Switch, yes.

Okay, by these criteria then:

• We should exclude Galaxy 2 because it is an expansion
  • We should arguably exclude NSMBU and NSMBWii because they are DS expansions. And if we were to go extreme, the same for 3D World (although of all comments here I'd say that's a stretch)
  • We should exclude BotW for Wii U because its not an exclusive (was released simultaneously on Switch)

This is where applying arbitrary criteria inevitably puts you.

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

Banjo-

@Buizel

· You can't compare Super Mario Galaxy 2 with Splatoon 2 or Super Mario Maker 2 in terms of development time/efforts.
· Same for NSMBWii and NSMBU as if they are DS expansions.
· That's another mistake, I didn't say that BotW is a Wii U exclusive, I said that it's a Wii U game so it was developed for Wii U and all the time and effort was made before 2016, for a Wii U game. BotW on Switch is a port.

Banjo-

Banjo-

@Bolt_Strike Yes, the cartoony games require work but not as much as games like REVIII and also, it's much easier to make a HD cartoony game.

Banjo-

Bolt_Strike

@Eel It's even less likely they'd move them from the Switch because it's been much more successful than the Wii U, then they could really be costing themselves a ton of money. It'd probably take an utter disaster for those games to not release on Switch. But I do think given the timing and lack of a solid release window, a cross-gen release is definitely on the table for those two.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Eel

@Bolt_Strike I think BotW2 might be safe for next year (hopefully). Metroid Prime 4 though… It seems it has been having a rough development history. So perhaps that one could indeed end up in a dual release situation.

I think we also have good chances of getting another exclusive main Pokémon game on the Switch before a replacement comes.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Bolt_Strike

@Eel They didn't sound too confident in the 2022 release window for BotW2, so I'm still kind of skeptical. I do think it's less likely that BotW2 becomes cross gen than Prime 4 if only because we actually have gameplay footage of BotW2 as opposed to just a logo for Prime 4, but I'm not quite ready to write off the possibility of BotW2 being delayed into 2023 and ending up cross-gen because they're also targeting 2023 for the next gen console.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

Banjo-

@Bolt_Strike WIth that I agree, I'm pretty sure that Switch 2 will launch in late 2022 or early 2023 with BotW2. I think that Metroid Prime 4 is further away.

Banjo-

Eel

Oh wow that sounds so… quick?

Might be just because I’m used to traditional handhelds that get closer to being active almost entire decades...

Then again I do suppose releasing a new console doesn’t equal instant discontinuation… They could also do something more gradual than an outright replacement…

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Bolt_Strike

@BlueOcean Holiday 2022 does sound a bit too early, I'm thinking either Spring 2023 or Holiday 2023.

@Eel Yeah, that's another thing. I don't think they'll instantly drop the Switch once the successor is out. It's way too profitable to do that, they could probably squeeze some more money out of it even after the next gen console is out. I'm thinking more than they'll do what Microsoft and Sony have been doing for their next gen consoles (which is also kind of what happened with the 3DS to a limited degree), develop some cross gen titles for a year or two and give people time to transition and then after about 2 or 3 years, stop making titles for the Switch.

Bolt_Strike

BruceCM

It's likely they'd make the Switch successor able to play current Switch games, anyway.... It's more likely they want to stretch the current Nintendo gen out, so it could be that there's an upgraded Switch going to release with BotW 2

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Banjo-

@faint That's what I said 2016-2020 in my reply to you.

Banjo-

faint

@Bolt_Strike I think it’ll still be the switch, just a better version. Pretty sure Nintendo is picking up Apples model like how they sell IPhones

[email protected]
friend code: 0103-9004-2456

Banjo-

@faint Because Breath of the Wild was finished in early 2016 according to Nintendo. That was the last game Nintendo developed for Wii U.

Banjo-

Bolt_Strike

@faint If they were following the Apple model, we'd have had a Switch 2 in 2018, a Switch 3 in 2019, etc. and the OG Switch would've been phased out by now or at least close to it. We haven't been getting new models on a yearly basis like that and the models we have been getting have been more along the lines of XL/Mini models as opposed to legitimate upgrades, basically the same thing with different sizes/pricing tiers instead of something with more specs and features. So clearly they're not following the Apple sales model here, the timetable is far too slow. By the time we get the legitimate power upgrade people have been wanting the OG Switch will be seen as outdated and they're not going to be able to sell it anymore, already the OG Switch's specs seem a bit behind and a lot of developers and gamers are craving something stronger. I think they're still sticking with the traditional console upgrade model. Or at least for this generation.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

MrHonest

I am sure BOTW was a WII U game until Nintendo decided to delay the game so they could port over the game to Switch.

Edited on by MrHonest

MrHonest

Sorry, this topic has been locked.